2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
72 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 13 invisible), 2,157 guests, and 343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 22 of 22 1 2 20 21 22
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by rmns2bseen
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
But the authorities clearly think it is under control or else they would never have lifted the lockdown on Wuhan.
Yeah, the same authorities who were stating in mid-January that there was no evidence of human-to-human transmission. Doesn't mean jack sh*t. Pardon my skepticism.

You are again talking about what they say. When they were saying in January there was no evidence, that didn't mean they were thinking it. I'm talking about what they do - all my posts since yesterday have been about what they do.

A comment. If we question not what authorities say but what they think and believe, then we have effectively challenged what any country, West or East, is doing about this virus. Because there is no clairvoyance. None of us knows what will really happen, only what we think may happen based on information we have. So what the Chinese have done in Wuhan reflects what they think. What they think is no better, but also no worse, than what Governments from the US to the UK to various European Governments think - just making the best guess based on information and analysis available. In this, the Chinese are in the same boat. They just may be more opaque in conveying what they think than the West, but as I pointed out above, some information is conveyed just by their actions.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
R
R
You are again talking about what they say. When they were saying in January there was no evidence, that didn't mean they were thinking it. I'm talking about what they do - all my posts since yesterday have been about what they do.
What they do and say are entwined. There's not much of a dichotomy.
Because there is no clairvoyance. None of us knows what will really happen, only what we think may happen based on information we have.
But yet the US and other countries are taken to task for not being prepared for this virus which Chinese officials AND the WHO were assuring us was no cause for alarm. In fact, that's action and deed combined. It was deemed to be racist and xenophobic to impose travel restrictions. Public officials in NYC were encouraging everyone to get out and about. The media -- and not just "right wing" media -- were telling us we had more to fear from the flu.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
What they do and say are entwined. There's not much of a dichotomy.

What? Of course there is a dichotomy if you are saying that they lied. Because they imposed an 11 week lockdown on Wuhan after saying there was nothing going on. If what they said was that there was nothing happening but what they did showed they feared something was happening, isn't that a dichotomy? But now, I agree that they are saying that they have it under control and their actions do reflect this by releasing the 11-week lockdown, so there's less dichotomy in the Chinese today between what they say and what they do.

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
R
R
^ sorry, "action and word" combined

R
R
What? Of course there is a dichotomy if you are saying that they lied. Because they imposed an 11 week lockdown on Wuhan after saying there was nothing going on. Isn't that a dichotomy? But now, I agree that they are saying that they have it under control and their actions do reflect this by releasing the 11-week lockdown.
The cat was out of the bag by that time. Look, any state, but especially an authoritarian one, has got to at least put up the appearances of being "in control". The situation in Wuhan with lockdown or lifting the lockdown may mean very little. It could mean the CCP doesn't know what it's doing, or isn't really equipped to handle it. It could mean they'd sacrifice the entire city if it meant holding on to power. It wouldn't be the first historical example. I'm not going to sit here and say that their words OR actions mean diddly-squat in relation to reality.

R
R
Originally Posted by thepianoplayer416
Looks like the US is on top of the list:
Not surprising, given the traffic in and out of the country.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
While countries are debating how far quarantine should go and whether wearing masks would slow the spread of the virus, here is the latest stats on the infected numbers. Looks like the US is on top of the list:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

R
R
By the way, is there anybody out there that believes there are fewer cases in China than in France? Come on.

G
G
Comparing China and France is maybe difficult. The countries are too different in terms of openness and so on. What I find really striking is that there are about as many infected in France and in Germany, but ten times as many casualties in France. One interpretation is that this may mean that there are actually also ten times as many infected in France. So, maybe the numbers from China are quite a bit off, but also other countries seem to over- or underestimate substantially, or differ in how or what they count.

W.Hoffmann T122, Roland FP-50, Roland RD-64
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
What? Of course there is a dichotomy if you are saying that they lied. Because they imposed an 11 week lockdown on Wuhan after saying there was nothing going on. Isn't that a dichotomy? But now, I agree that they are saying that they have it under control and their actions do reflect this by releasing the 11-week lockdown.
The cat was out of the bag by that time. Look, any state, but especially an authoritarian one, has got to at least put up the appearances of being "in control". The situation in Wuhan with lockdown or lifting the lockdown may mean very little. It could mean the CCP doesn't know what it's doing, or isn't really equipped to handle it. It could mean they'd sacrifice the entire city if it meant holding on to power. It wouldn't be the first historical example. I'm not going to sit here and say that their words OR actions mean diddly-squat in relation to reality.

You think it's really possible that Xi Jingping decided to sacrifice the entire province of Hubei, in which Wuhan is located? Where are the quarantines around Hubei? Or are you speculating that Xi Jingping might be trying to sacrifice the entire country of China to hold onto power? Wow. That would be the very definition of Pyrrhic victory. You are grasping at straws, Sir. You can ignore their actions. This is like ignore the world around. Feel free to do so. I'm going to check out of this discussion now as it has gotten silly.

[Linked Image]

R
R

You think it's really possible that Xi Jingping decided to sacrifice the entire province of Hubei, in which Wuhan is located?
What makes you think it's impossible? The CCP's record of benevolence? And yeah, I'll check out as well since it's getting unavoidably political.

B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
This thread is done.

Greg
Page 22 of 22 1 2 20 21 22

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission