2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
85 members (Bett, brdwyguy, anono89, 36251, Bruce In Philly, anotherscott, accordeur, 15 invisible), 1,007 guests, and 430 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 79 of 99 1 2 77 78 79 80 81 98 99
P
P
Welcome Javaslinger! It is so good to have you here!!! As you can see from the above posts, it is a wonderful, supportive group!!! PianoWorld is a fantastic forum, and there is always someone that can help when you need it!

Fran...

Yamaha Arius 164, Classic popular, Soft Rock, Studying In PIano Adventures AIO, Unit 11, Pianote Foundations
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
pagirl #2963259 04/03/20 10:41 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pagirl
Whew! I can finally exhale! I can hear so many places that I could do better, but this is the best I can do right now. I need to move on, and maybe let this rest for a few weeks...Thank all of you for your support!!!

Fran...

https://app.box.com/s/t0srtunp0mxeumnabbdgwudb7nnr4zwk

Clap,clap,clap,clap,clap,clap,clap,clap,clap,clap,clap,clap,clap,clap,clap,clap,clap,clap,clap,clap,clap,clap,clap,clap,clap,clap,clap,clap,clap,clap,clap,clap,clap,clap,clap,clap,clap,clap,clap,clap,clap. That’s great and you jumped a hump that, by your own admission, you had reservations with. That’s the accomplishments we all look for.

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently unit 4
Faber All In One -Level 2
Grateful Dead fan since 1987
dobro #2963264 04/03/20 10:49 AM
P
P
Thank you dobro! It was a tough one for me, and I wouldn’t have been able to get there without all of you!!!

Fran...

Yamaha Arius 164, Classic popular, Soft Rock, Studying In PIano Adventures AIO, Unit 11, Pianote Foundations
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Welcome to the group @javaslinger, (coffee reference I presume?) I have a problematic left hand that takes some extra work. The usual good advice that we get for a lot things related to piano study is to slow down and learn it up to speed. That has helped me.

Alesis Coda Pro
I wouldn’t have been able to get there without all of you!!!

Exactly what I wanted to say... this thread has been my inspiration, motivation and the reason I'm still moving forward with my piano journey. Thank you all!

Chili_Time, good to hear from you! and thanks for the support along the journey! I'm following you on soundtrack, all your recordings from 3A are helpful to me! I'm listening to your Amazing Grace now which is my current piece.

It's fascinating to listen to different renditions from different people playing on the same piece, representing different interpretation, different ways of personal touch! So I look forward to more recordings from this group!

Javaslinger, welcome! My last song Funiculi, Funicula calls for tempo at 104bpm, I started at 50bpm... Although I felt slow-playing and fast-playing are 2 different songs grin , it does help to train how my hands move on the keyboard and gradually get used to the faster movement...

Currently
1. Beyer Op. 101
2. (taking a break) The Ants Came Marching, Page 26, Faber FunTime Ragtime&Marches
╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭
Self-studied Alfred Adult AIO Level 1; Faber Accelerated Lesson Book 2; Faber 3A/B
My Recordings
E
E
Nice job, Fran!!!!

C
C
Originally Posted by Wish4 Thing
I wouldn’t have been able to get there without all of you!!!

Exactly what I wanted to say... this thread has been my inspiration, motivation and the reason I'm still moving forward with my piano journey. Thank you all!

Chili_Time, good to hear from you! and thanks for the support along the journey! I'm following you on soundtrack, all your recordings from 3A are helpful to me! I'm listening to your Amazing Grace now which is my current piece.

It's fascinating to listen to different renditions from different people playing on the same piece, representing different interpretation, different ways of personal touch! So I look forward to more recordings from this group!

Javaslinger, welcome! My last song Funiculi, Funicula calls for tempo at 104bpm, I started at 50bpm... Although I felt slow-playing and fast-playing are 2 different songs grin , it does help to train how my hands move on the keyboard and gradually get used to the faster movement...

I really enjoy listening to everyone's recordings. Thank you for the kind words on my recordings even though most of my recording are not up to recital level. It is a way for me to go back in time to where I was and remind myself I am making progess. I suppose each of us - whether we realize it or not - bring our personality and emotion and sense of artistry to our recordings which is why they sound different. This is a great point you make so thank you for poining it out. Thanks for your encouragement!

My instructor continues working with me to play with expression. She will take a piece I know well like "All My Loving" by the Beatles and have me play it straight, then play so that it will make her want to dance and feel happy, then play slow and sad and make her want to cry. Artistry is something I struggle with but I do think this drill has taught me how using tempo and dynamics can suggests a mood.

Stay safe everyone and record and post something this weekend.

First Lesson Oct. 17, 2017. Now working on Faber Piano Adventures 3B Lesson, T&A, Performance, Theory and Faber FunTime Ragtime & Marches. Kawai MP11SE. My Sound Cloud Piano recordings
[Linked Image]
enw10 #2963753 04/04/20 08:34 PM
P
P
Originally Posted by enw10
Nice job, Fran!!!!

You are so sweet and supportive!!! I just hope someday I can play half as well as you do!!! How is your daughter doing with her lessons?

Fran...

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I hope everybody is doing well. My routine has been the same with good practice last week and in the motivation ditch for most of this week.

Alesis Coda Pro
P
P
I have taken a little different tactic with my practice routine recently. I have added more of a study of scales and chords to it. I have learned that, usually, how you can tell the key of a song is by its first and last notes, and I choose a Major chord to match it, and it’s fingering, to practice until I can play RH, LH, and hands together at least at 60, 70, or higher bpm cleanly. That and playing the chord as an arpeggio.

It helps me learn the song, and gives me a great warm up. Is there something special you do in your practice that makes it fun, and still gives you a challenge?

Stay safe and well!!!
Fran...

pagirl #2965253 04/09/20 10:50 PM
C
C
I have taken a little different tactic with my practice routine recently. I have added more of a study of scales and chords to it. I have learned that, usually, how you can tell the key of a song is by its first and last notes, and I choose a Major chord to match it, and it’s fingering, to practice until I can play RH, LH, and hands together at least at 60, 70, or higher bpm cleanly. That and playing the chord as an arpeggio.

It helps me learn the song, and gives me a great warm up. Is there something special you do in your practice that makes it fun, and still gives you a challenge?

Stay safe and well!!!
Fran...

I like to play one or two hymns a day to warm up out of the Religious Favorites by James Bastien. The hymns are in C F G and D so it tracks Faber. A hymn is usualy 20 bars so not too long and they sound good. This has really really helped my left hand with chords. It was heavy lifting at first to play chords in the left hand and melody in the right hand but this book helped me a lot. It takes less time to learn a hymn now than when i began playing out of this book and that makes me feel like I'm making progress.

I also like to mess around for fun with the bells and whistles on my piano and my easy Fake Book.

I missed a note in here and hesitated a little but this was tonight's fun time: https://soundcloud.com/chili-time/unchained-melody Piano + Pads

Last edited by Chili_Time; 04/09/20 10:54 PM.

First Lesson Oct. 17, 2017. Now working on Faber Piano Adventures 3B Lesson, T&A, Performance, Theory and Faber FunTime Ragtime & Marches. Kawai MP11SE. My Sound Cloud Piano recordings
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Chili_Time
I missed a note in here and hesitated a little but this was tonight's fun time: https://soundcloud.com/chili-time/unchained-melody Piano + Pads

Love it!

This is my fun tonight - Sonatina in C. I don't think I played triplet right... oh well, will try again cool

Currently
1. Beyer Op. 101
2. (taking a break) The Ants Came Marching, Page 26, Faber FunTime Ragtime&Marches
╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭
Self-studied Alfred Adult AIO Level 1; Faber Accelerated Lesson Book 2; Faber 3A/B
My Recordings
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Hey Wish
I know it’s a work in progress, but listen for any notes that are not played at the same volume as the others. There are some that I can hear were played, but much softer than what I think you intended.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
Hi dogperson, thank you for listening and most importantly for giving me feedback for me to improve! Much appreciated! My intent was to play like I'm singing but not very successful blush I did try to play softer at the end of some phrase... I'll give it another try! Thanks again!

Currently
1. Beyer Op. 101
╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭
My Recordings
C
C
WOW Wish you are playing that Sonatina fast! That is one of my favorite pieces in all of Faber 3a and took me weeks of daily play to get that up to the minimum bpm in the book. Much like my guitar and bass playing I just have trouble and "blow up" when I try to go fast. I'm okay at slower songs lines on the bass but songs by the Red Hot Chiii Peppers... forget it!

I'm no teacher but it seems like you are progressing well in 3a!

[Linked Image]
Chili_Time, thank you for always encouraging me! I listened to your version many times, I like the way you play triplet... mine sounds all clustered in the middle of the beat... also, I have an older version of the book, minimum bpm is 88. I'm like you, prefer slower tempo which might allow me to bring out more expressions. I also tried not to hammer keys on the notes with forte marks... blush

With accelerated level 2 book, I was able to learn a piece in a few hours. Now with 3A, each piece took me 1+ week.

Originally Posted by Chili_Time
My instructor continues working with me to play with expression. She will take a piece I know well like "All My Loving" by the Beatles and have me play it straight, then play so that it will make her want to dance and feel happy, then play slow and sad and make her want to cry. Artistry is something I struggle with but I do think this drill has taught me how using tempo and dynamics can suggests a mood.
This is eye-opening for me, thanks for sharing!

Currently
1. Beyer Op. 101
╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭
My Recordings
P
P
Chili_Time - That was lovely!!! One of my favorite songs! Your book looks like a fun one, and has a lot of the subjects I’m enjoying now!

Fran...

P
P
Wish4Thing - Wonderful! You are achieving so much, in what seems like such a short time! Your fingers are just flying over those keys!

Fran...

pagirl #2965471 04/10/20 04:16 PM
C
C
Chili_Time - That was lovely!!! One of my favorite songs! Your book looks like a fun one, and has a lot of the subjects I’m enjoying now!

Fran...

Thanks Fran!

It is a fun book but some of the melodies don't sound the way I hear the song in my head so I take liberties to tie notes or fix the ryhthm or tweak melody lines to my liking. It says "Easy" Fake Book but it hasn't been that easy for me. The right hand melodies lines are easy, the left hand chord changes are easy. But doing them together has been hard this up to point but with time it will become easier. (I hope LOL).

Big milestome reached today. I turned to the final piece in the Performance Book and began to learn it. It is a minuet and I've always found them quite fun to play so I'm glad to see that style show up and to celebrate I'm gonna make chili for dinner!

Last edited by Chili_Time; 04/10/20 04:18 PM.

[Linked Image]
pagirl #2965497 04/10/20 05:28 PM
E
E
Originally Posted by enw10
Nice job, Fran!!!!

You are so sweet and supportive!!! I just hope someday I can play half as well as you do!!! How is your daughter doing with her lessons?

Fran...

Awww, thanks so much Fran! My daughter is doing really well! She recently moved up to 3A, which she was really excited about. We're doing online classes right now, and I'm really glad that she's old enough that it's not a battle getting her to focus.

My teacher sent me the link to technique.faberpiano.com the other day. It's usually a paid site, but it's free until the end of June (they don't ask for any credit card or personal info). I thought maybe someone here would find it useful smile

I hope you're all staying safe and healthy!

Page 79 of 99 1 2 77 78 79 80 81 98 99

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai upright shortage in Canada?
by DeeZee - 09/19/21 05:55 PM
Korg SV-1 Sustain Pedal problem
by Herwiberde - 09/19/21 02:46 PM
JoJo Siwa's Baldwin grand
by ShiroKuro - 09/19/21 01:50 PM
Opinions on the CA49 for classical piano music only ?
by GaiaImpact - 09/19/21 01:16 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,192
Posts3,133,601
Members102,770
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission