2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Erinmarriott, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, 4 invisible), 1,316 guests, and 275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 131 of 237 1 2 129 130 131 132 133 236 237
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Sounds like a problem. Hopefully it's just some loose cable connection, although I don't think it's the user that has to connect the cable, I think it's internally wired but maybe there's still some connector somewhere.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
E
E
Thanks for the comments - so far I couldn't reproduce the issue but will continue to monitor.

Pianos owned - Yamaha N1X (current) - Yamaha P-120 - Roland FP80 - Yamaha YDP-141
D
D
edzpiano: so far you are satisfied with the sound and the action?
I had the impression that there might be kind of a quality problem when reading the first posts of the new owners....

Just playing my NU1X.
And love it. Cheers!
E
E
Originally Posted by dima5222
I had the impression that there might be kind of a quality problem when reading the first posts of the new owners....

On the key action, I tried the NU1X and it felt really familiar as I've always played on an upright Yamaha piano. I had my mind set on it as it was the cheapest amongst the other AvantGrand series and I was comfortable with the feel of the keys... until a helpful Yamaha salesperson educated me on the difference between the grand piano vs. upright action. This was when I realised familiarity isn't always the best, as you may be missing out on the better options. I tested both for hours, started with the NU1X. The salesperson explained the "loud noise" issue quite well and I did notice it didn't affect my playing as much as it did when I first tested the piano last year. However, I still noticed the rare occurrence which was still somewhat annoying to me. Otherwise, the key action is almost identical to what I'm used to (i.e. the feel of hitting the hammer as you press down a key, familiar but not necessarily a good thing as this meant that the keys are heavier and harder to play at a faster speed). And then I moved on to the N1X... this was when I experienced a moment of enlightenment lol. I am by no means a professional piano player but by just playing a simple chromatic scale, I realised the keys were smoother and easier on my fingers. The keys somehow felt much better connected and more fluid, whilst still having a good weight to it. I took another step further and tested the N3X too (to be honest, this was what I wanted but I just couldn't justify the price tag). The key action on the N3X was better (i.e. I felt some sort of key resonance as I play it) but personally, I didn't think it was significantly better than the N1X to justify the price difference. I guess you're paying a premium for the grand piano frame and better set of speakers. I would go for that if I had the space and spare cash.

On the sound, my experience is similar to what the other posters have already commented - the sound from the N1X speakers is somewhat muffled, maybe because the top 3 speakers are facing upwards. That said, the N3X on the other hand sounded much better despite the speakers facing upwards too. I suspect that's down to the N3X having better speaker system and the lid to bounce the sound off the speakers towards the player. However, I didn't think it is that bad for occasional no-headphones playing. My priority was to have a good sound through the headphones and this was where the N1X really excelled. Initially, I was using my own cheap pair of Sony headsets and I was feeling somewhat underwhelmed, as I was expecting something better based on the reviews that I've read. Then I asked to borrow a better set of headphones from the store and they passed me a Yamaha open back headphones. It made quite a substantial difference and I was sold by then. I bought a new pair of Philips Fidelio X2HR open back headphones, and it's really a pleasure listening to the CFX through this. When I first tested the headphones, I thought the audio jack on the piano was broken. It didn't sound as though it came out from the headphones. So my advice would be to get a good pair of headphones to do the piano justice. I didn't feel tired at all with the sound despite playing with my headphones on for hours.

I've only tried Roland and Yamaha digital pianos, and somehow, I've always preferred the sound of Yamaha (which tends to be brighter). Everyone will have their own individual preference (both sound and action) so you'll really have to test the piano out yourself and make a call. I used to hear a high pitched frequency on the Roland FP-80 on all the keys and that really annoyed me so sold it on after. I'm just glad that the binaural sound coming through the headsets had no such issue and it sounds really close to a real piano sound. Overall, very happy with the purchase and I reckon I'll enjoy the piano even more once my rusty fingers gets better at feeling the keys.

On the recording front, I tried recording with my iPhone and it works surprisingly well - all you need is one cable connected to the piano and iPhone (though you'll have to get the right cable adapter(s)). For such a simple set up, I'm happy with the sound (and yes, it can be quite unforgiving to mistakes but it will sound good if you don't play with mistakes haha) despite some comments indicating better options with say, the Garritan CFX. I'm not very familiar with these set ups so can't comment on them further.

Pianos owned - Yamaha N1X (current) - Yamaha P-120 - Roland FP80 - Yamaha YDP-141
S
S
A new owner here. Thanks everyone for their feedback in this thread. What a fanttasic instrument. The action reminds me very much of the Yamaha G2 that I owned for 20 years, so I feel like I'm coming home. I was not overly impressed by the speakers as I like a revealing sound, but supplemented with a couple of 5" monitors adds great expressiveness. Well done Yamaha!

T
T
Originally Posted by edzpiano

On the key action, I tried the NU1X and it felt really familiar as I've always played on an upright Yamaha piano. I had my mind set on it as it was the cheapest amongst the other AvantGrand series and I was comfortable with the feel of the keys... until a helpful Yamaha salesperson educated me on the difference between the grand piano vs. upright action. This was when I realised familiarity isn't always the best, as you may be missing out on the better options. I tested both for hours, started with the NU1X. The salesperson explained the "loud noise" issue quite well and I did notice it didn't affect my playing as much as it did when I first tested the piano last year. However, I still noticed the rare occurrence which was still somewhat annoying to me. Otherwise, the key action is almost identical to what I'm used to (i.e. the feel of hitting the hammer as you press down a key, familiar but not necessarily a good thing as this meant that the keys are heavier and harder to play at a faster speed). And then I moved on to the N1X... this was when I experienced a moment of enlightenment lol. I am by no means a professional piano player but by just playing a simple chromatic scale, I realised the keys were smoother and easier on my fingers. The keys somehow felt much better connected and more fluid, whilst still having a good weight to it. I took another step further and tested the N3X too (to be honest, this was what I wanted but I just couldn't justify the price tag). The key action on the N3X was better (i.e. I felt some sort of key resonance as I play it) but personally, I didn't think it was significantly better than the N1X to justify the price difference. I guess you're paying a premium for the grand piano frame and better set of speakers. I would go for that if I had the space and spare cash.

On the sound, my experience is similar to what the other posters have already commented - the sound from the N1X speakers is somewhat muffled, maybe because the top 3 speakers are facing upwards. That said, the N3X on the other hand sounded much better despite the speakers facing upwards too. I suspect that's down to the N3X having better speaker system and the lid to bounce the sound off the speakers towards the player. However, I didn't think it is that bad for occasional no-headphones playing. My priority was to have a good sound through the headphones and this was where the N1X really excelled. Initially, I was using my own cheap pair of Sony headsets and I was feeling somewhat underwhelmed, as I was expecting something better based on the reviews that I've read. Then I asked to borrow a better set of headphones from the store and they passed me a Yamaha open back headphones. It made quite a substantial difference and I was sold by then. I bought a new pair of Philips Fidelio X2HR open back headphones, and it's really a pleasure listening to the CFX through this. When I first tested the headphones, I thought the audio jack on the piano was broken. It didn't sound as though it came out from the headphones. So my advice would be to get a good pair of headphones to do the piano justice. I didn't feel tired at all with the sound despite playing with my headphones on for hours.

I've only tried Roland and Yamaha digital pianos, and somehow, I've always preferred the sound of Yamaha (which tends to be brighter). Everyone will have their own individual preference (both sound and action) so you'll really have to test the piano out yourself and make a call. I used to hear a high pitched frequency on the Roland FP-80 on all the keys and that really annoyed me so sold it on after. I'm just glad that the binaural sound coming through the headsets had no such issue and it sounds really close to a real piano sound. Overall, very happy with the purchase and I reckon I'll enjoy the piano even more once my rusty fingers gets better at feeling the keys.

On the recording front, I tried recording with my iPhone and it works surprisingly well - all you need is one cable connected to the piano and iPhone (though you'll have to get the right cable adapter(s)). For such a simple set up, I'm happy with the sound (and yes, it can be quite unforgiving to mistakes but it will sound good if you don't play with mistakes haha) despite some comments indicating better options with say, the Garritan CFX. I'm not very familiar with these set ups so can't comment on them further.

Thank you for your review and after your observation regarding the speaker sound and placement I wondered if the top speakers could be on a hinge to raise the angle if that might help. Also thanks for comparing the action to the action of the Yamaha upright that you play. I’ve never really like any Yamaha action compared to European and American styles. Could you create different tones on the piano aside from just playing soft to loud? This is my main criticism of Yamaha. It plays smoothly but no tonal or color change. This is a HUGE issue in playing different periods of classical music. Thanks again for your insight.

Recorder Player/Singer
Back to playing piano
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Congrats edzpiano and Smaug!

J
J
Yes, welcome to the N1X club edzpiano and Smaug!

Yamaha N1X, P-515.
Genelec 8331 monitors and 7350 sub.
VI’s: Garritan CFX, VSL Bösendorfer Upright, and VSL Blüthner 1895. Pianoteq.
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JJHLH
Yes, welcome to the N1X club edzpiano and Smaug!

We're up to 48 : Euler1707, CyberGene, pianokat123, J5on, Amy C, Bro', jgbs, Tyrone Slothrop, David B, Chrispy, percy64, nax, Canticle80, kipdent, Haruki, RobertInFlorida, stewart715, StefVR (sold), JJHLH, Onyx, perezdaniel88, Adagios/Pabitel, wintyfresh, Aristede, srslysupersonic, kiwon0905, Csillag, EddyN1x, tntultra, Realisme, leiting, Zamenhof, OldTinho, betacentauri, Camass, BachToTheFuture, L*E*D, Stuart Mac, EricF, hlm3, elendil, Lam, IanL, DionG, dancingfish, N1X-Guy, NoMeGa, edzpiano, Smaug. grin

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
D
D
Originally Posted by edzpiano

On the key action, I tried the NU1X and it felt really familiar as I've always played on an upright Yamaha piano...

Perfect! Many thanks edzpiano! thumb

Just playing my NU1X.
And love it. Cheers!
H
H
Does anyone have any good solutions for keeping the top of the N1X clean? I understand the dust accumulates, but I don't want to cause small scratches on the surface by using a cloth to dust it all the time.

The back of the piano is fairly close to a brick wall, and tiny sand/brick particles constantly end up on the surface of the piano.I have a cleaning crew come in every two weeks to clean my apartment, but I can already see small scratches on the top because they're not aware of the issue.

I am considering buying something like this to just "air dust" the piano every few days.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RKYWBD2/

Anyone else have any ideas? I can’t really have the bricks sealed. Looking for a low-cost simple solution.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
If you can I would seal the brick wall.

As far as dusting goes I only use an ostrich feather duster. For me that is successful in not adding 'swirlies' and fine scratches when doing normal dusting. But if there's brick dust frequently landing on the piano's horizontal surfaces I think over time you're going to have issues, whatever you use.

S
S
I bought a 5m USB cable to connect the N1X to a computer for transferring MIDI and audio. When I enable the instrument as the audio device in Logic or Mainstage it works fine, but I hear a high-pitched hum through the active monitors connected to the N1X audio-out, which are usually noise free when playing the N1X. Removing a USB hub that was between the N1X and the computer reduces the noise by about 50%, but it's still apparent. Any other suggestions?

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Smaug
I bought a 5m USB cable to connect the N1X to a computer for transferring MIDI and audio. When I enable the instrument as the audio device in Logic or Mainstage it works fine, but I hear a high-pitched hum through the active monitors connected to the N1X audio-out, which are usually noise free when playing the N1X. Removing a USB hub that was between the N1X and the computer reduces the noise by about 50%, but it's still apparent. Any other suggestions?

I'd say this is most probably a case of ground loop, although not very severe.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by hlm3
any ideas? I can’t really have the bricks sealed. Looking for a low-cost simple solution.

Use a hand vacuum or leaf blower to remove the brick dust?

Pianos are one of the best human inventions of the past 323 years - help evangelize the magic!
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Or move the piano away from the brick wall?

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Or move the brick wall away from the piano?

E
E
Hi guys, does anyone know if it's possible to record the N1X audio using Audacity via the USB-HOST to my PC USB connection? Somehow, I couldn't get this to work on my PC even though the USB-HOST connection recorded fine on the iPhone.

Otherwise, I may consider getting something like the Behringer UCA202 U-Control USB Audio Interface if the above fails.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
You need to install the Steinberg USB driver in order to record USB audio AFAIK. Download it from the N1X support page.

Last edited by CyberGene; 04/12/20 08:14 AM.

E
E
Thanks CyberGene for the swift response, much appreciated - I'll have a go. Seems like you're on this forum 24/7!

Page 131 of 237 1 2 129 130 131 132 133 236 237

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission