2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
40 members (beeboss, ando, drumour, AlphaBravoCharlie, fatar760, EssBrace, EB5AGV, DSC, Adem, 8 invisible), 1,327 guests, and 607 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
^ Have you read that or it’s your personal interpretation? I don’t feel anything religious in this particular prelude. To me it’s one of the typically abstract keyboard works by Bach. It’s true that he, as a devoted Christian, created music that he would consider an extension of the divine glory but I highly doubt it he had something in his mind as specific as what you described.

Last edited by CyberGene; 03/30/20 06:36 PM.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
^ It's my personal interpretation. I feel religious context in most of Bach's works. And I think that's the basis of his genius. His music transmits religious, moral messages that otherwise can hardly be worded ex cathedra, but that can be easily perceived through music.

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Bach wrote this piece initially as a sequence of chords. Those would be typically arpeggiated. He eventually decided to write the arpeggiation in full himself. I think many interpretations use too much pedal for too long with a slow tempo and do not take into account the written rests. The piece sounds better at a moderate tempo as the intended introduction to the wtc. Arpeggiating a sequence of chord in a style brise is very usual for Bach. A very similar piece is BWV 924. But when played with the right tempo, with the proper rythmic pulse and not too much pedal, it is a nice piece.

M
M
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
For me, and I think for many, this is an amazing piece that one can hear hundreds of times and not tire of. Can anyone give some reasons why this piece is so appealing? How can a series of arpeggiated chord be so great? Or maybe you think it's not so great and you can tell us why you think that way.

For me, its most remarkable quality is its inoffensiveness. It's composed entirely of sounds that we've become so used to in the West that they're like a journey "home", so to speak. Just remember that you're never going to get anywhere if you keep going home.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mcontraveos
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
For me, and I think for many, this is an amazing piece that one can hear hundreds of times and not tire of. Can anyone give some reasons why this piece is so appealing? How can a series of arpeggiated chord be so great? Or maybe you think it's not so great and you can tell us why you think that way.

For me, its most remarkable quality is its inoffensiveness. It's composed entirely of sounds that we've become so used to in the West that they're like a journey "home", so to speak. Just remember that you're never going to get anywhere if you keep going home.

I fully agree with that statement but even that's remarkable since Bach was among the first composers to come up with this type of music. Almost any other composer after him (and possibly the classical era) would have been blamed of creating bland and inoffensive music but Bach had the comfort and of course the genius to create pieces like the prelude, the Air on the G-string and probably some other similar pieces (Jesu Joy...?), also Pachelbel's Canon.

Last edited by CyberGene; 03/31/20 09:05 AM.

C
C
One evening in 1994 I was in a restaurant in Crianlarich, in Scotland, with a friend of mine and there came over the loudspeakers the familiar accompaniment from the Jesu, Joy of Man's desiring chorale prelude that we all obviously know. Then the chorale itself came in and something wasn't right. We looked at each other quizically. What was going on? After a few bars we realised that the chorale wasn't Jesu Joy of Man's desiring at all, but the Crimond (which anyone who's heard or sung Anglican church music will recognise as the tune generally sung to the hymnal version of Psalm 23, "The Lord's my shepherd"). Bizarre.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by chateauferret
One evening in 1994 I was in a restaurant in Crianlarich, in Scotland, with a friend of mine and there came over the loudspeakers the familiar accompaniment from the Jesu, Joy of Man's desiring chorale prelude that we all obviously know. Then the chorale itself came in and something wasn't right. We looked at each other quizically. What was going on? After a few bars we realised that the chorale wasn't Jesu Joy of Man's desiring at all, but the Crimond (which anyone who's heard or sung Anglican church music will recognise as the tune generally sung to the hymnal version of Psalm 23, "The Lord's my shepherd"). Bizarre.

Someone was being very creative. smile

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Originally Posted by Sidokar
Bach wrote this piece initially as a sequence of chords. Those would be typically arpeggiated. He eventually decided to write the arpeggiation in full himself. I think many interpretations use too much pedal for too long with a slow tempo and do not take into account the written rests.
Actually the instruments Bach was writing for at the time didn't have damper pedals - therefore use of any pedal would theoretically be "too much."

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

I remember in college having to write variations on Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star. I found it fits really well using the bass and chords from the Air on the G String. grin

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
It's the 335 birthday of Bach today smile So, I recorded a little prelude I used to play as a kid, which BTW reminds me a lot the WTC Prelude 1 in question. Not my best playing but anyway, it's a celebration of Bach, not me laugh

Last edited by CyberGene; 03/31/20 11:29 AM.

Originally Posted by CyberGene
It's the 335 birthday of Bach today smile So, I recorded a little prelude I used to play as a kid, which BTW reminds me a lot the WTC Prelude 1 in question. Not my best playing but anyway, it's a celebration of Bach, not me laugh

Very nice rendition, Evgeni !! thumb thumb thumb

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital

Silver Supporter until Sept 10 2020
500 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Sept 10 2020
500 Post Club Member

Wonderful! Thanks for sharing your music today!

"Serena," my Estonia L168.
R
R

What's bizarre is a restaurant blasting out hymns through loudspeakers. grin

M
M

The genius of Bach, in my opinion, easily surpassed by the genius of the DIY hybrid digital piano controller.

The fabric of legend.

M
M
This was the first "real Bach" I ever played. What I love about it is that you can play it as a beginner, then as as novice, and (of course but I'm not there yet) as an expert, and at each level find so much to learn and show. For me it's a perfect example of Bach teaching (at a remove of 400 years) by allowing you to "do the thing".

Mason & Hamlin A ('97)
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by johnstaf
I remember in college having to write variations on Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star. I found it fits really well using the bass and chords from the Air on the G String. grin

Uh, all those parallel octaves.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
R
R
Originally Posted by Medved1
This was the first "real Bach" I ever played. ...
For reasons I can't remember, the second prelude and fugue was what I started with. I guess I'm always bassackwards. grin

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I always found it interesting that this prelude is so simple (it took me two days to memorize it, if that) and how complicated, i.e., HARD, the fugue is (it took me a very long time before I could perform it). I wonder if Bach was making some sort of joke.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by the nosy ape
I always found it interesting that this prelude is so simple (it took me two days to memorize it, if that) and how complicated, i.e., HARD, the fugue is (it took me a very long time before I could perform it). I wonder if Bach was making some sort of joke.
Highly unlikely.

Originally Posted by the nosy ape

If that were the case your observation would apply to every fugue that Bach composed for keyboard. grin

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
.nausicaa OP. (elementary version)
by WarDesu - 07/23/21 07:09 PM
Selling the sizzle if not the steak
by cfhosford - 07/23/21 06:25 PM
For the Experts
by Epee - 07/23/21 12:43 PM
Another question about piano positioning
by Cassia - 07/23/21 12:16 PM
1992 Yamaha C3 vs new CX2
by MusterMark - 07/23/21 10:19 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,177
Posts3,115,881
Members102,217
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission