2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
62 members (CaseyVancouver, cmb13, ambrozy, Bchig, anotherscott, 36251, CharlesXX, beeboss, Alex Hutor, 8 invisible), 528 guests, and 574 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#2958116 03/17/20 08:14 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
I just found out that my wife's nephew's husband was one of the first US cases of the China virus.
She's a nurse at that nursing home in Washington state.
She got it. Her husband has it. But they're getting over it.
We never dreamed that the family would be part of the initial wave.

Meanwhile, that nephew's sister ... my wife's niece ... went vacationing with her boyfriend to Morocco ... and now cannot get back. Travel ban.
She was warned not to go, but did she listen?
I think there are more words in this post than there are brain cells in her head.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
It's gone a bit crazy over here. lockdown, shutdown, self isolating . . .jobs are departing fast. There's gonna be big problems even apart from this virus.
Me and 'er are keeping our heads down.
Best o' luck, guys.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I hope they get well soon.

Nearly everything here has just stopped. There are only around 300 cases so far, but the government says to expect 15,000 in two weeks.

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
That sucks, I have a feeling this is going to be with us for a while. Unless we all do self isolation but that takes great discipline that few of us possess.

Hope they get better soon.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400
Schimmel SP-182T "I wish I had the room to keep you around"
August Forster 215
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
The upside of working from home: breaks to practice piano!
In all seriousness, everyone be safe and keep well.

Decent upright bassist; aspiring decent pianist
Present: Roland DP-603, Roland FP-30, Yamaha MX61, Casio CDP-130
Past: Casio PX-830, Casio PX-160
Currently drooling over: Roland FP-90X
Etc.: PianoTeq Stage 7 (Bechstein, Bluethner, U4), Roland KC-80
O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
Sorry to hear Mac.. hope all recovers well.

The virus will likely die down in a month or two (as what happened in Wuhan). But the impact to the economy will be deep and will take at least a couple of years to recover. Consumer confidence is fragile, easy to break - very hard to build up.

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
J
J
Originally Posted by MacMacMac

She got it. Her husband has it. But they're getting over it.

Glad to hear they are on the mend, Mac. My GF just got back last week from visiting with her sister, and today we found out that a woman her sister works with has been diagnosed with the disease. We are hoping that's as far as it traveled, but we will have to wait a week or so to know for sure.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by johnstaf
I hope they get well soon.

Nearly everything here has just stopped. There are only around 300 cases so far, but the government says to expect 15,000 in two weeks.

In my opinion the government is scare mongering to an extreme extent. In Denmark we have so far 1024 cases, whereas last week we had about 600. The growth in numbers of infected has all but stopped entirely. At this rate, we'll never get above 2500 cases.

Of course anything a government says, including their "number of infected", should be taken with a grain of salt.

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28
Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.0 (Blüthner, Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2)
K
K
^ are you sure it's not just a lack of testing? That's a major problem in a lot of countries...

Best wishes to you, Mac!

O
O
I hope everyone remains safe and well.

Shouldn’t have lockdown and travel bans occurred from the outset? I don’t believe it was taken seriously enough at the beginning... now it’s travelled across the globe. 😷

Learning to play. Consciously incompetent, which apparently is a good starting point. smirk
K
K
Originally Posted by OscarRamsey

Shouldn’t have lockdown and travel bans occurred from the outset? I don’t believe it was taken seriously enough at the beginning... now it’s travelled across the globe. 😷

I don't think it was politically or economically feasible.

China could have stopped the virus in its tracks if they had shut everything down at the outset. Other countries could have completely shut down their borders. But that could have lead to a massive economic collapse, which could have triggered societal unrest which, in turn, could have very dangerous consequences.

We already see reports of store employees being stabbed by customers and people fighting over toilet paper. It won't take a lot for such situations to spiral out of control.

S
S
Originally Posted by QuasiUnaFantasia

In Denmark we have so far 1024 cases, whereas last week we had about 600. The growth in numbers of infected has all but stopped entirely.

Doesn't that imply that the restrictions are working and to allow it to grow unchecked would have overwhelmed the helth system?

O
O
Originally Posted by kj85

I don't think it was politically or economically feasible.

China could have stopped the virus in its tracks if they had shut everything down at the outset. Other countries could have completely shut down their borders. But that could have lead to a massive economic collapse, which could have triggered societal unrest which, in turn, could have very dangerous consequences.

We already see reports of store employees being stabbed by customers and people fighting over toilet paper. It won't take a lot for such situations to spiral out of control.

Agreed - more could have been done at the source very early on. That said, the reaction after that initial period in China was very good. Hats off to them.

Somehow countries are finding the political and economic willpower to lock things down now - that’s what I’m confused about...

Makes no odds to me - I’m low risk due to age and working arrangements. But what about everyone else?

And I’m still confused RE the obsession with toilet paper - people have running water. Probably more hygienic to have a wash anyway.

Learning to play. Consciously incompetent, which apparently is a good starting point. smirk
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Isn’t it getting customary already for these viruses to always start from some wet Chinese markets in deep provinces where they eat rats, bats, snakes and anything that moves. Wondering why Chinese government hasn’t done anything to stop that madness. Applauding how they managed to limit the spread afterwards, when the entire world is already facing a recession/collapse in the first place, is a bit odd.

Last edited by CyberGene; 03/18/20 07:28 AM.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
OP Offline
Viruses don't obey your whimsical observations. And two data points (600 cases last week vs. 1024 now) cannot define an exponential growth curve.
In Denmark we have so far 1024 cases, whereas last week we had about 600. The growth in numbers of infected has all but stopped entirely. At this rate, we'll never get above 2500 cases.

The "small" number of cases in Denmark may simply reflect the small population. Compare Denmark's 5.8 million with the US 328 million. Denmark has 1.8% as much population.

Starting with the published case numbers, now at 6500 cases in the US, then Denmark might be expected to have 115 cases, proportionately. But you give a number nearly 10x higher than that. That's troubling.

This brief analysis has no foundation in epidemiology, but I think it lays to rest any notion that ...
... the government is scare mongering to an extreme extent.

P
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
P
Is social-network distancing a thing?

I’ve been told to stay away from social networks like Facebook for the next two weeks as a precautionary measure to protect me and my “friends” from catching it. Has anyone here ‘caught it’ from Twitter? And, what is Piano World doing about social-network distancing?

P.S.

Stay thirsty, my friends, and keep it interesante XX! grin

OP Offline
Facebook brings an entirely different kind of infection.

It causes ADIS (attention deficit injury syndrome) in which people walk into walls and doors for not paying attention while Facebooking on the phone.

And it causes SAD (social antipathy disorder) as evidenced when people say hello to an afflicted individual, he replies with only a grunt, and he continues walking along, oblivious.

We hope to have a cure someday for Covid smile ... but there's no hope for those with ADIS or SAD. frown

P
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
P
I think I might have SAD. frown

K
K
Somehow countries are finding the political and economic willpower to lock things down now - that’s what I’m confused about...

I think the turning point was Italy. The daily death toll crossed 100 on March 8 and that is what triggered the panic in the West, and everywhere else.

A few hundred people dying in a single day in Africa and Asia is a fairly common occurrence. Not so much in the first world.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Isn’t it getting customary already for these viruses to always start from some wet Chinese markets in deep provinces where they eat rats, bats, snakes and anything that moves. Wondering why Chinese government hasn’t done anything to stop that madness. Applauding how they managed to limit the spread afterwards, when the entire world is already facing a recession/collapse in the first place, is a bit odd.

Do you know what they eat in India ? Much worse and yet nothing. Same in China. They eat everything for centuries and no corona virus. Corona virus have nothing with bats or rats.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Komplete Kontrol S88 MK1 Touchkeys
by Micahjd - 05/16/21 07:26 PM
Piano out of tune?
by TheodorN - 05/16/21 04:10 PM
iOS Pianos on iPad POLL
by RinTin - 05/16/21 01:50 PM
I can quit any time I want to ...
by Retsacnal - 05/16/21 01:42 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,967
Posts3,094,277
Members101,538
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission