2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
52 members (ColonelBogey, Emery Wang, Ed McMorrow, RPT, anotherscott, DPPianoPhil, David Lai, c++, DSC, Aritempor, 13 invisible), 534 guests, and 596 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2957816 03/16/20 10:29 PM
F
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
F
I had to close my theatre today.

I borrowed Arnie to make my announcement:

http://melvilletheatre.com/playing.html

I guess now I'll have more time to play my piano. My bird doesn't understand what's going on. He expects to be listening to the nightly movie at this time every day and tonight... nothing.

I close two days every year to paint the auditorium floor. Other than that, there's a show every night, 363 days every year, for 25 years. And there's one projectionist in Melville, and that's me, so guess what I do every night for 25 years.

I don't know what to do with all of my free time... other than play more piano for my bird.

If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country and Western!
Casio Celviano AP-650
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Enjoy your free time, all you can do.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400
Schimmel SP-182T "I wish I had the room to keep you around"
August Forster 215
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I hope you can reopen soon, this stuff is hurting small businesses everywhere.

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently unit 4
Faber All In One -Level 2
Grateful Dead fan since 1987
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
all the best, and enjoy the increase in piano time

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
W
W
What kind of bird???

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I am in wait and see mode for my band, although the season does not start until July 4. Even though the concerts are outdoors, the musicians all have to fit on the bandstand, and many of the audience are seniors. It would be a shame if they had to miss a season after 108 seasons.

The celebration of the 150th year of the country's first wildlife preserve, Lakeside Park, has been put on hold, and it is 100 years since the bandstand there was completed. So many things we are missing!

Semipro Tech
F
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
F
He's a budgie. My official piano coach and music critic. He supervises my piano playing (and other things) and gives me a good scolding if I play anything that sounds discordant. He even occasionally rings his bell in time with the rhythm to show me what the rhythm should be if he thinks I'm slowing down. (And he's usually right.) He's an amazing little guy who is really tuned into sounds, and he expects me to play the piano for him regularly.

People seem to be losing their minds over this virus around here, even though nothing bad has actually happened here or anywhere nearby (so far). The local grocery store looks like the day after the zombie apocalypse with people buying stuff and empty shelves like I've never seen there before.

The news that I was closing the theatre went off like a bomb in town; I think the word was around almost before I finished taping the sign to the door. Everyone wants to know when I'm going to re-open. Well, I would like to know that myself. That's the worst part of this whole thing -- no definite end date. Am I closed for a few weeks? A few months? A year?

My digital projection system needs to run for a while a few times a week to make sure that the stuff that needs to be charged up stays charged up, so I'll have to start doing that.

And I guess I'll have time to do a few maintenance projects around here that I've not managed to get around to before.

This whole thing seems like I've suddenly fallen into a movie all of a sudden, not just playing one.

Casio Celviano AP-650
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Yes, it does feel like we are minor players in a movie for which we have no script. Best wishes, Frank!

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
W
W
Originally Posted by FrankCox
He's a budgie. My official piano coach and music critic. He supervises my piano playing (and other things) and gives me a good scolding if I play anything that sounds discordant. He even occasionally rings his bell in time with the rhythm to show me what the rhythm should be if he thinks I'm slowing down. (And he's usually right.) He's an amazing little guy who is really tuned into sounds, and he expects me to play the piano for him regularly.

Budgies are cute! Your bird sounds adorable. I bet he gets treats :-)

B
BDB Offline
B
We have budgies, too, but the concerts are outdoors and they stay at home.

Semipro Tech
Take a bow FrankCox for the sterling service you have provided to your community over this twenty five year period. A splendid achievement indeed.

Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Best wishes for you, Frank, and here's hoping your theater is up and running again soon. Yes, the open-endedness of it all doesn't help a bit.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

F
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
F
My wife told me that it's a good thing I have my piano so I have something to concentrate on other than the fact that I'm not doing my usual movie routine.

And she's right.

My bird appreciates the extra entertainment, too.

I guess there's a bright side, if I look hard enough.

Casio Celviano AP-650
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
It's like everyone's waiting for something really dreadful to happen . . .Bated breath is very unsettling.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Awwwww...
Best to you, and yours, and your budgie.

Learner
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
No photos and recordings of your bird?

So sorry about the theatre. Maybe you can do special, extra-spaced-out showings that accommodate both healthy social distance and your equipment's need to be kept in running condition... and, the love of the movies.

If you've got any footage of your bird accompanying your piano, you've just got to put it up!

Clef

F
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
F
He's very shy and as soon as anything unusual shows up in his environment he immediately hides and won't come out until I take whatever it is away again. So that makes it almost impossible to get a photo or a recording of him.

I did manage to get one picture of him a couple of years ago. He was tired after a hard day of singing and be-bopping around and keeping an eye on what I was doing and, for a change, he didn't zip off before I could take the picture:

[Linked Image]

Notice the "exactly what do you think you're doing with that thing?" look on his face.

Now I use this picture for the wallpaper background on my phone. smile

As for my digital cinema equipment I have been advised that I need to run it for at least one hour twice a week to keep everything charged up that needs to stay charged up. I don't have to actually play any content but the projector and associated equipment has to be powered up and running. So I'll have to start doing that now, until this thing is over and I can get back to showing movies again.

I just did that earlier tonight. It's pretty darn depressing to get everything cranked up and ready to go, knowing that nobody's going to be coming to watch a movie and I'll just be switching it all off again in an hour. *sigh*

What a horrible situation all around.

Casio Celviano AP-650
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
I’m so sorry, Frank! Rather than just running the equipment, have you thought about grabbing a couple of blankets and pillows, a tub of popcorn 🍿 and watching a movie from beginning to end with your wife?

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
F
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
F
Commercial movies are sent to theatres in a format called DCP (Digital Cinema Package). They are shipped on hard drives and they are encrypted so you need a key to play the movie. The keys are timed for the period that the theatre is renting the movie from the movie company, so a movie that I'm playing from Friday to Thursday (as usual) can generally be played from Thursday of the week that I start playing it until the Friday after I'm playing it. Anything outside of that time period just can't be played.

It is actually technically possible to set up a digital cinema projector to receive content from a blue ray disk player. Some art house and revival type theatres have that kind of a setup because some of the stuff they play comes on blue rays instead of a DCP. Therefore, you can play any blue ray movie on your digital cinema projector and have what amounts to a really, really big television set. However, I've never had my system set up to play blue rays since there never seemed to be any need for it -- I pretty much just play standard issue Hollywood movies and everything is sent to me as a DCP.

Anyway, that's a really long winded way to say that I don't have anything that I can play on my movie screen other than a bunch of trailers for upcoming movies that, now, might or might not actually be released by the movie companies at some time in the future. (Trailers aren't usually encrypted.) So there's really no content that's worth sitting and watching until I can re-open the theatre and start playing movies again as usual.

Casio Celviano AP-650
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Such a handsome fellow--- and a great photo. I happen to know that it is not that easy to get a really good photograph of an animal. I have dogs; always the action shot with those fellows. You can never let them just stand still and get a good photo, although I found some pretty good luck by going with subtle actions. Throw something outside the frame, just before the shutter clicks. Never let them just stand there and gape at the camera; it is deadly.

My Aunt Charlotte got an African Grey, to be a companion animal for her husband during a long, and finally terminal, illness. Uncle Bobby is gone, but the Grey remains, running her life. The drama, over getting him something he'll deign to eat. The power struggles over whether Charlotte will be allowed to view football games on TV when the Grey wants attention. And the biting! You can get a pretty significant bite from a parakeet. I learned as a child not to bother them, or insist--- realizing they have the final veto over any legislation. A Grey can send you to a plastic surgeon, or take off a finger.

He's smart; he's got the upper hand; and he's going to outlive her. That would be my bet, but she might be stubborn enough to keep going.... She wishes she had known about the rather large quantity of tropical birds who have become orphaned for one or another reason. It is really very tragic when a parrot becomes insane, or compulsively self-destructive, or just lost. She's not the kind of woman to add another to the flock.

But this is entirely off-topic. I guess I was trying to say that I understand something of the way members in the Parrot family, large or diminutive, can project an atmosphere of intelligence and will, which definitely affects their environment. They travel with their own warp field. I am glad you have such a wonderful friend, but I don't think that making a profession of your friendship is going to be enough; you will need to find something worthy of your time, and brain, and heart to do.

I guess a lot of us are thrown on our own resources, quite unexpectedly, by this tiny, unusually deadly strip of RNA. I don't think 'tiny' even really comes close.

"Close---" it's the Secret Word! I get to quit writing.

Very best to you, Frank.

Clef

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Garritan CFX questions
by David Lai - 05/08/21 12:09 PM
Got myself a Roland UM-ONE MK II
by EVC2017 - 05/08/21 09:51 AM
Putting my new-old piano in order
by SpareKeys - 05/08/21 09:40 AM
Pop songs I learnt as a kid
by KevinM - 05/08/21 07:37 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,792
Posts3,091,141
Members101,451
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission