2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
82 members (brdwyguy, Bett, anono89, 36251, anotherscott, accordeur, antune, 15 invisible), 965 guests, and 441 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 22 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 21 22
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by gooddog
I keep scratching my head over the fact that the entire toilet paper aisle was empty. It makes sense that they were out of hand sanitizer but toilet paper? Covid -19 is not a stomach virus.

This seems to be a weird theme; first we heard about it from the UK, people loading up on masses of toilet paper, now apparently in North Western US, and here in Denmark the same thing: toilet paper bought up everywhere (along with fresh yeast and flour). So strange ...

Originally Posted by gooddog

Stay well everyone. This will pass.

Thanks, and I wish the same for all. And it will indeed pass.

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28
Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.0 (Blüthner, Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2)
J
J
I'm starting to wonder that if in addition to a national strategic oil reserve.... We might need a national strategic toilet paper reserve. smile

Meanwhile the good new in South Korea continues:

“South Korea reported more recoveries from the coronavirus than new infections on Friday for the first time since its outbreak emerged in January, as a downward trend in daily cases raised hopes that Asia’s biggest epidemic outside China may be slowing.”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-southkorea-idUSKBN210051

And the number of new daily cases in China is down to single digits:

“China’s Wuhan city, ground zero of the new coronavirus outbreak, reported five new cases on Friday, the second day in a row the tally has been less than 10, while no locally transmitted infections were reported in the rest of the country.”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...r-just-five-new-cases-idUSKBN2100BP?il=0

Yamaha N1X, P-515.
Genelec 8331 monitors and 7350 sub.
VI’s: Garritan CFX, VSL Bösendorfer Upright, and VSL Blüthner 1895. Pianoteq.
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Food (including produce) still available here in DC, but not toilet paper. I did find a secret stash at a "Peapod for Giant" online store and bought 50 rolls for delivery on Wednesday (which is the earliest "same day" delivery they have available! haha)

The next weeks are going to be a mess folks. Stay safe.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JJHLH
Meanwhile the good new in South Korea continues:

“South Korea reported more recoveries from the coronavirus than new infections on Friday for the first time since its outbreak emerged in January, as a downward trend in daily cases raised hopes that Asia’s biggest epidemic outside China may be slowing.”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-southkorea-idUSKBN210051

And the number of new daily cases in China is down to single digits:

“China’s Wuhan city, ground zero of the new coronavirus outbreak, reported five new cases on Friday, the second day in a row the tally has been less than 10, while no locally transmitted infections were reported in the rest of the country.”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...r-just-five-new-cases-idUSKBN2100BP?il=0

This is not going to help us here in the West. If China and Korea manage to get their epidemics under control, they will be locking their doors to keep people from the West from coming back in and re-infecting their own citizens!

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Food (including produce) still available here in DC, but not toilet paper. I did find a secret stash at a "Peapod for Giant" online store and bought 50 rolls for delivery on Wednesday (which is the earliest "same day" delivery they have available! haha)

The next weeks are going to be a mess folks. Stay safe.

If it is the kind of mess you can clean up with toilet paper, you'll be in great shape with your 50 rolls!

Learner
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I can't remember when the boss of a big supermarket chain appeared on TV to tell his customers to stop buying so much stuff from his stores, but that was exactly what happened yesterday. And he said something pertinent - that only those who could afford it were able to stockpile hand sanitizers and toilet paper (and pasta and tinned/frozen food etc), leaving nothing left for those who could only afford to buy what they needed.......(like me - I never spend more money than I have to whistle)

Life has been going on as normal where I live, all shops are open, people are at work etc, except that the motorway (freeway) traffic today was more akin to that of a public holiday than a busy Friday. Bliss for me, having to drive ten miles on it every day to & from work - and my job means I have to keep going to work even if the world is invaded by green aliens - or a certain spiky virus.

But things are changing day by day in the UK: the London Marathon has been postponed for the first time ever (the same goes for the Boston Marathon, I see) and mass gatherings will soon be banned. But schools will remain open, so there will still be a semblance of normality - and I have to continue to run the gauntlet of schools traffic every morning. Can they stay open till the Easter hols? We will see........

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Some people have a tendency to stock up on common household items. Besides food (cereal, canned food, crackers, etc.), hand sanitizer, bleach detergent, sanitary tissue & toilet paper are also popular. Depending on the country you are in, if you have to stay home long enough, you need to keep a lot of these items in stock.

Can't really avoid gatherings completely. Some people have to work. Schools are closed so they drop their kids to a daycare facility or a community center and we have small groups of people gathering. A lot of local churches are still holding weekly services but no extracurricular activities.

A lot of shops you can pay by a tapping a bank card. This prevents people from passing coins & paper money around. In public washrooms we already have automatic faucets where water would run when you put your hand under with a hand dryer to make single use paper for hand drying unnecessary. The next thing would be a toilet that spray water onto your behind and then you get warm air to dry the area so that toilet paper won't be needed. Came across the self-cleaning toilet idea in a magazine while travelling in Taiwan a few decades ago.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bennevis
...schools will remain open...

Today it was announced that students in my district have "been dismissed." Staff are instructed not to say that schools are closed.

Learner
E
E
Our schools closed too. First it was the university, which will continue remotely for the rest of the semester, and now all the public elementary and high schools. It's a relief for me because I was already planning on pulling my kids out on Monday, and this way my daughter can't blame me that she's missing all of her activities. The performing arts center also closed, so my musical next weekend is canceled, which is a huge bummer.

And, also no toilet paper here. I went to get some dry beans today and couldn't find them anywhere. I have a hard time believing that many people eat beans around here.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
I can't remember when the boss of a big supermarket chain appeared on TV to tell his customers to stop buying so much stuff from his stores, but that was exactly what happened yesterday. And he said something pertinent - that only those who could afford it were able to stockpile hand sanitizers and toilet paper (and pasta and tinned/frozen food etc), leaving nothing left for those who could only afford to buy what they needed.......(like me - I never spend more money than I have to whistle)
[...].

That's what sort of stuns me in this crisis. The attitude seems to be: "I'm going to look out for myself and hoard all I can, even though I may not need it all; too bad for the little guy who will just have to fend for himself because he can't afford to hoard; that's his problem, not mine." Yet, in the long run, we're all in this together but that thought doesn't seem to strike home with some.

One of our politicians urged people - as did bennevis' supermarket boss - to stop panic buying and clearing out store shelves, leaving nothing for those in the queue behind.

Sad times!

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by malkin
...schools will remain open...

Today it was announced that students in my district have "been dismissed." Staff are instructed not to say that schools are closed.

The district I'm in just let the kids out for three weeks. We're going to have a lot of unsupervised juvenile delinquents hanging around. Disneyland is closed.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
P
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
P
Here in Hand Sanitizer Central all schools in the state are closed, all public venues are closed, and all social events have been cancelled. If you want social interaction, go for a walk and say hello to the passersby. And yes, TP hoarding is happening here, along with clearing grocery shelves of staples.

Guess there will be plenty of time to practice.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I found half a bottle of sanitiser in the bathroom!

Anyone have a concert grand they'd like to swap for it?

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
people only stockpiled on regular spaghetti, you can still get linguine, farfalle, tagliatelle and so on, lmao

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Just got this from my German ward:

https://mobile.twitter.com/dopsleutel13/status/1238546244173250560

The above video is amusing even if it is in Dutch. Basically, the English voice-over is this guy is taking a selfie video of himself driving a forklift through a warehouse full of TP asking, "what shortage???" and laughing his @ss off. 🤣🤣🤣

[Linked Image]

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Tyrone, I just forwarded it to my Dutch friend who loves to laugh! Thanks.

Best regards,

Deborah
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Just got this from my German ward:

https://mobile.twitter.com/dopsleutel13/status/1238546244173250560

The above video is amusing even if it is in Dutch. Basically, the English voice-over is this guy is taking a selfie video of himself driving a forklift through a warehouse full of TP asking, "what shortage???" and laughing his @ss off. 🤣🤣🤣

My friend was shopping a couple of days ago and the staff found the antics of some of the shoppers hilarious.

B
B
Originally Posted by KlinkKlonk
people only stockpiled on regular spaghetti, you can still get linguine, farfalle, tagliatelle and so on, lmao

Not quite, in my neck of the woods.

I just returned from a conference (likely to be the last for the foreseeable future) where the lecture hall was half-empty. Many people cancelled or just didn't turn up, even though it's not even a "large gathering" like Wimbledon. Then I went to my gym - where it was half as busy as it normally is on a Saturday: I had the whole swimming pool to myself - bliss! whistle.

Then I went for a haircut (in case the place gets closed down before my hair reaches my shoulders...) which is next to a big supermarket. I dropped in to have a look - and it was crowded. No "social distancing" going on there. Yep - no TP, no pasta, no rice, no UHT milk, no goat's or almond or soya milk - not even of any sort. But I managed to buy a couple of packets of Japanese udon noodles, which probably have been on the shelf for a few years, because no Asians live around the area. (I was the only customer who wasn't Caucasian.) So, I bought the 'ethnic' stuff (including quinoa, miso paste, Harissa sauce and tofu) that no-one else wants.........which suits me just fine. grin

The world is preparing for WW3......

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
P
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
P
And now a Public Service Announcement for Pianists Everywhere

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
I was the fool on the hill.

I had an eye test and a basic hearing test today. So yes a new glasses prescription is required, but then it meant trying on lots of glasses because I'm so vain. I need to go back for a more comprehensive hearing test at a later date as there is some loss.

There was plenty of sanitiser around and everyone was asked if they had travelled anywhere or been in contact with a person known to be infected or suffered any likely symptoms when arriving. But honestly looking back at it, I should just have said, no I'll look at replacing my glasses some other time.

Page 8 of 22 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 21 22

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai upright shortage in Canada?
by DeeZee - 09/19/21 05:55 PM
Korg SV-1 Sustain Pedal problem
by Herwiberde - 09/19/21 02:46 PM
JoJo Siwa's Baldwin grand
by ShiroKuro - 09/19/21 01:50 PM
Opinions on the CA49 for classical piano music only ?
by GaiaImpact - 09/19/21 01:16 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,192
Posts3,133,601
Members102,770
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission