2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
46 members (ElaineAllegro, Charles Cohen, AlainGeneva, David B, Ed McMorrow, RPT, c++, 13 invisible), 1,429 guests, and 704 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 53 of 64 1 2 51 52 53 54 55 63 64
W
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
W
Welcome oBreak! Thank you sharing your Level 1 work. It's an accomplishment and it's fun.

[Linked Image]
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
thanks for sharing.

Deb
"A goal properly set is halfway reached." Zig Ziglar
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
BSharp, I just passed Theory Level 6 and am working on 7. I do it as a hobby, its not going to make a difference in my life except for my feeling of accomplishing something. I do not do the piano exams. The theory online is through level 8, although I called RCM and was informed maybe in the future 9 and 10 will be online but currently there are no plans. However, History 9 and 10 is online and informed History level 9 would be a good next course and doable for someone who completed 8 levels of theory. Theory is $175 for the modules, which are 8 units with the pre-test and post test. Then you purchase the apps, there are 8 at $1.99. You get a year to finish. It has helped having a teacher. I have done well, I do not think I would have done as well without a teacher. I also bought the RCM theory books for more practice exercises. Music History is $500, so at that point it is not worth it to me unless the cost of those classes decrease. At one time the theory modules were $375 I believe, maybe it was decreased because no one bought them.

I would encourage you to continue at least to 8 since it can be done online.

Deb

Deb
DFSRN #2955423 03/08/20 02:18 PM
B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by DFSRN

I would encourage you to continue at least to 8 since it can be done online.

Deb

I'm scheduled to take theory 7 in May, but I'm not doing the online test. There is definitely more to learn in level 7 with respect to 5. I enjoy learning it though.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]
I have a busy year of exams ahead of me, with exams in May (registered), June (almost definitely), and November (most likely).

The May exam is the ARSM - Associate of the Royal Schools of Music, the first level of performance diploma offered by ABRSM. The June exam is ABRSM Grade 7 Music Theory, and the November exam is Grade 8 Music Theory. For those not familiar with ABRSM, that exam board goes up to Grade 8, so these are the highest levels of Music Theory exams offered by the Associated Board.

I feel ready for the Grade 7 Theory exam, but I will keep on working practice problems until the exam date in early June.

My ARSM programme is pretty much ready. I'm just putting the final polish on my pieces. This exam is performance-only: I just have to play a recital lasting roughly half an hour, no programme notes, viva voce, or quick study as in the higher-level ABRSM diplomas.

My diploma programme is as follows:

• Bach - Prelude and Fugue in F minor from WTC Book 1, BWV 857
  • Beethoven - Sonata in E, Op. 14 No. 1
  • Chopin - Mazurka in C# Minor, Op.50 No.3
  • Debussy - Bruyères

I've been working on this programme for almost a year now - two years for the third movement of that Beethoven sonata, since I played it at Grade 8. I've enjoyed working this music up to a professional standard, but I'm ready to move on! Although I would confidently take the exam tomorrow if I had to, I plan on making good use of the two remaining months to give these pieces as high a polish as I can. My teacher called this programme "perfect" but also "ambitious".

I don't ever want to play another mazurka again as long as I live. I detest that musical form. I was hesitant to pick this mazurka, but it was on the syllabus and fit so well in the programme... I struggled for months to connect with that piece. I did finally find an emotional connection to this particular mazurka (and now it's actually rather precious to me), but I don't ever want to subject myself to another one.

After that, it's on to DipABRSM, the second diploma level with that board. It will have pieces by the same composers, but all of them will be a little easier except for the Debussy, which will be a more difficult piece (La puerta del vino).

Austin Rogers, PhD
Music Teacher in Cedar Park, TX
Baldwin SD-10 Concert Grand "Kuroneko"
B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
Good luck to you, Dr. Rogers! Sounds like a demanding program and schedule.

My schedule for the August RCM 7 exam (15 months after taking RCM 6).

Etudes:
Lament, Op. 203, No. 8 – Cornelius Gurlitt
Etude, Op. 27, No. 3 – Dmitri Kabalevsky

List A: Invention No. 8 In F Major, BWV 779 – Johann Sebastian Bach
List C: Polonaise In G Minor, Op. Posth., B 1 – Frédéric Chopin

I'm on the fence for List B. I know Fur Elise and I think I could play it well enough, but some have said it isn't a good exam piece to do. Teacher thinks I could substitute a Level 8 piece, Beethoven, Sonata in G Major, op. 49, no. 2, 1st Mvmt. But I'm unsure of that. I might just end up doing Sonatina In C Major, Op. 88, No. 1 First Movement – Friedrich Kuhlau

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]
C
C
Nice programme Dr Rogers. I feel the same about Mazurkas. I played one for my grade 9 exam and vowed never again! I’m not a big “dance” fan although I must admit I’ve discovered Chopin waltzes and actually quite like them. I’m enjoying not playing for an exam but now am toying with possibly trying again in a year or two. I guess some of us never learn smile. bBsharp - tough choice on your list b. I’d go with a sonata either at the level or the one up. Even when I took the grade 7 exam years ago, fur Elise was discouraged. It’s very popular and they’ll mark harder

Gave up on exams - playing whatever I feel like
Working on:
Bach Partita #2- up to the Courante so far
Liszt Consolation #2
Piazzolla Milonga del Angel
Thank you for your kind words, b# and cagal.

b#: I would avoid the Fur Elise. It's a great piece, but horribly overplayed. Honestly, I would also avoid the Beethoven Op. 49 No. 2 as well. As a teaching piece, it's also rather overplayed, and isn't as nice musically as the Fur Elise.

IIRC, those Opus 49 sonatas were published without Beethoven's approval and against his wishes. He wasn't happy with them. Op. 49 No. 1 is pretty nice, but No. 2 is kind of bland. I played that sonata at a recital when I was maybe 10 or 11 years old - I think it works best at inspiring and young pianists. "Hey, I'm playing an actual Beethoven sonata!" That sort of thing.

Of the three pieces you mentioned, I would recommend the Kuhlau, if you can handle the scale passages. I just looked at a PDF of it, and I wish I could go play it! It looks fun. I have it in a book somewhere, but it's at my old house and I don't have access to it at the moment.

cagal: I fully understand any decision to give up on exams. What I tell people is that you need a good reason to put yourself through that kind of torture! For me, it is professional development. (And, I must confess, I like the fancy certificates, and I look forward to putting more letters behind my name come May! ARSM may be the lowest-level letter-bearing diploma, but I've worked hard and I'm going to use those letters, right after PhD.)

Austin Rogers, PhD
Music Teacher in Cedar Park, TX
Baldwin SD-10 Concert Grand "Kuroneko"
B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
Thanks for the feedback, Dr. Rogers. The other list B piece I learned was Viennese Sonatina In A Major 1st Mvmt – Mozart. But I don't like it smile I'd like to polish a piece that I think I'll play again in the future. This wouldn't be one of them.

The Kuhlau piece is nice, it's easy to read. But speed and evenness of the scale runs will be challenging.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]
W
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
W
Dr. Rogers your challenge is significant and impressive. But you have the background and skill for it. I've only played the basic level mazurka and never up to full tempo so don't have a feeling about them one way or the other. When you work up pieces for exams though, you really do need to connect with the piece so if you hate it, it would be difficult. Will you post links to your pieces before you test?

bSharp sounds like you're on track too to move up the RCM completions and I'm cheering you on. I'd recommend the Kuhlau too but the Mozart Viennese Sonatinas are fun. Rather than go for the Level 7 exam, I've been trying to learn as much of the level 7 repertoire as possible.Why? I think I can pass a level 7 but I want to be grounded at that level as my base with ease reaching the tempo and expression required. There is much beautiful music in that list and there are many technical challenges I have yet to master. I am learning all the etudes rather than the few I learned in level 6...slow progress. My teacher is not versed in the exam system so I'm pretty much on my own with study and preparation. Right now I'm working on:
Bach Preludes 933 and 934
Beethoven Bagatelle 33 no 6
Chopin Nocturnes 15 no 3 and 37 no 1
I want to get the rhythmic challenge in Ginastera's Milonga (also the 2s against 3s).

[Linked Image]
Wise as in learner
O
O
I was getting ready for ABRSM 1 and 2 and memorization was not required. I'm not sure once you get to higher levels; it sounds like you may be looking at level 5+. When I swapped to RCM, part of the exam rubric is playing with the pieces memorized.

--
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by oBreak
I was getting ready for ABRSM 1 and 2 and memorization was not required. I'm not sure once you get to higher levels; it sounds like you may be looking at level 5+. When I swapped to RCM, part of the exam rubric is playing with the pieces memorized.

Keep in mind though that only 6 of 100 points are for memorization. So unless you are shooting for Distinction, you can safely decide not to memorize certain pieces for the RCM.

BTW, none of the etudes need to be memorized. I had my etudes memorized and yet my examiner still wanted to see my etude book on the music rest even though it wasn't open. That was amusing.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
bSharp, yes, 7 is harder. 5 I did in a month, 6 was about 2 months, Level 7 I am expecting maybe 4 months, I have not done the double dot notes, this is surely more of a challenge. I do enjoy the online and not having to go anywhere to take the test. Each unit and there are 8 have a practice test and a test. Then the practice final and the final.

Deb
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Is anyone signed up for RCM exams in April? Any news on if it will be cancelled?

Oops, sorry! Found the answer:

https://www.rcmusic.com/about-us/news/covid19-update

Last edited by WeakLeftHand; 03/20/20 09:22 PM.

Kawai K-500
Casio PX-735 (in retirement)
W
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
W
WeakLeftHand. Not surprising that it is delayed. Gives you more time to polish your pieces.

[Linked Image]
Wise as in learner
B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
You probably heard, but the upcoming RCM practical exams will be done via Zoom and you can use your digital piano at home, if that is what you have. I was also told that the sight reading material will be given to you a day ahead of time, so you'll have plenty of time to prepare for that, lol.

The in person theory exam I had scheduled will be done online. I'm not quite sure what the online format will be like, they will send me a webinar to watch. I'm assuming it will be different than the pencil/paper exam.

Last edited by bSharp(C)yclist; 04/10/20 02:04 AM.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist
I was also told that the sight reading material will be given to you a day ahead of time, so you'll have plenty of time to prepare for that, lol.
Really??

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
AMEB theory exams have been online for a while now (up to a certain level). I did one a few years ago and the trick was to do a few of the sample exams to get used to the format,

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
W
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
W
That's a problem if you have an acoustic but not a digital. I like having the "sight reading" a day early. Kind of defeats the purpose however.

[Linked Image]
Wise as in learner
B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist
I was also told that the sight reading material will be given to you a day ahead of time, so you'll have plenty of time to prepare for that, lol.
Really??

It's what my teacher said last night. I know it's crazy and defeats the purpose. I guess it's so they can print it out ahead of time and have it ready. Otherwise, it would probably take too long to print out on the spot (assuming they have a printer), or try to use a phone/tablet to read it.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]
Page 53 of 64 1 2 51 52 53 54 55 63 64

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
.nausicaa OP. (elementary version)
by WarDesu - 07/23/21 07:09 PM
Selling the sizzle if not the steak
by cfhosford - 07/23/21 06:25 PM
For the Experts
by Epee - 07/23/21 12:43 PM
Another question about piano positioning
by Cassia - 07/23/21 12:16 PM
1992 Yamaha C3 vs new CX2
by MusterMark - 07/23/21 10:19 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,177
Posts3,115,869
Members102,217
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission