2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,816 guests, and 265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 191 1 2 3 4 5 6 190 191
K
K
You are a real Star Sleutelbos - keep them coming matey.

just for the record I am (all things being equal) going to the Dealer on Thursday this week.
So by Friday I am hoping to be able to join this club fair and square.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
A question about your pedaling ...

It seems that you raise your right thigh when pedaling. Or, I assuming that it's the pedaling.

I was taught that the the upper leg ought not move while pedaling. The heel rests on the floor and only the front of the foot moves.

Am I misinterpreting?

S
S
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
A question about your pedaling ...

It seems that you raise your right thigh when pedaling. Or, I assuming that it's the pedaling.

I was taught that the the upper leg ought not move while pedaling. The heel rests on the floor and only the front of the foot moves.

Am I misinterpreting?

You are correct. The background is as comical as it is depressing: for the past 10 years I played for 99% of my time on a Yamaha P140. That doesn't have 'build-in' pedals, so I used to an external pedal and connected to the pedal-input. Unfortunately the floor is rather slippy. So I learned myself to raise the entire leg and put it down completely vertically, if I just moved my feet there was enough of a horizontal force to push the pedal away.

I am now working on re-learning how to pedal, but when generally playing I automatically revert to bad technique, particularly when I am tired or not feeling well. frown

Last edited by sleutelbos; 03/10/20 01:45 PM.
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by sleutelbos
You are correct. The background is as comical as it is depressing: for the past 10 years I played for 99% of my time on a Yamaha P140. That doesn't have 'build-in' pedals, so I used to an external pedal and connected to the pedal-input. Unfortunately the floor is rather slippy. So I learned myself to raise the entire leg and put it down completely vertically, if I just moved my feet there was enough of a horizontal force to push the pedal away.

You can simulate your old keyboard by unmounting the pedal unit of your CA79. Then it will also slip. Unfortunately your main unit will fall down, but that's the price you have to pay smile

G
G
And again...

https://youtu.be/Exw4c-KDx_8

Galuwen

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Galuwen
And again...

https://youtu.be/Exw4c-KDx_8

Galuwen

What an amazing promo video! Kudos to Kawai Australia for pulling this off!

S
S
Originally Posted by Killomiter
You are a real Star Sleutelbos - keep them coming matey.

just for the record I am (all things being equal) going to the Dealer on Thursday this week.
So by Friday I am hoping to be able to join this club fair and square.

Ha, good on you! Which finish will you be getting? Might post another one tomorrow, but not going to keep spamming the forums for months to come. :P

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Killomiter
In the mean time any useful intel. for us mortals would be welcome. please get videoing etc and post please please smile

Not vouching for the usefulness of it, but here is a quick recording of my CA79. Still feeling a bit under the weather, so it is perfectly possible I did something daft while recording. Don't blame the sound quality on the piano! :P

Nice! could you comment on the Classic2 rendering? Classic2 is entirely new and I would love to hear how it evaluates.

Actually, could someone just post a proper review?

S
S
Originally Posted by navindra
could you comment on the Classic2 rendering? Classic2 is entirely new and I would love to hear how it evaluates.

Actually, could someone just post a proper review?

Apologies, I've seen your earlier request but didn't respond. frown The thing is, I can literally only hear the different ambient settings when flipping through the rendering types. I have no idea if there is a bug, or if I am supposed to be doing something else, but if I just repeatedly press a note while flipping through all presets absolutely nothing seems to change. If you want, I can record some MIDI tomorrow and record the audio of it with different rendering types?

I've seen vids of the CA78 where the rendering types seemed quite distinct, here I can truly detect zero difference. confused

Last edited by sleutelbos; 03/10/20 02:54 PM.
We have a new comedian on Piano World! He joins the ranks of peterws, Pete14 ... and MacMacMac. smile
Originally Posted by Martinez
You can simulate your old keyboard by unmounting the pedal unit of your CA79. Then it will also slip. Unfortunately your main unit will fall down, but that's the price you have to pay smile

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Apologies, I've seen your earlier request but didn't respond. frown The thing is, I can literally only hear the different ambient settings when flipping through the rendering types. I have no idea if there is a bug, or if I am supposed to be doing something else, but if I just repeatedly press a note while flipping through all presets absolutely nothing seems to change. If you want, I can record some MIDI tomorrow and record the audio of it with different rendering types?

I've seen vids of the CA78 where the rendering types seemed quite distinct, here I can truly detect zero difference. confused

Thanks! Yes, it sounds like a bug of some kind -- the difference in the various SK-EX renderings is significant and unmistakable.

Here's some examples;
"You can't go wrong with the usual suspects" Yes,you can
"Yamaha is a good piano" They make a piano for every budget and some are good
"Yamaha has a bright sound" What? All of them? They've made millions of pianos.
"Steinway,you pay for the name" Maybe only partially true.

I could go on.....

Piano sales consultant
Australian Piano Warehouse-Melbourne Australia
30 years and still going
Steinway upright,Yamaha upright,Roland RD800,Korg Kronos
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Lushey1
Here's some examples;
"You can't go wrong with the usual suspects" Yes,you can
"Yamaha is a good piano" They make a piano for every budget and some are good
"Yamaha has a bright sound" What? All of them? They've made millions of pianos.
"Steinway,you pay for the name" Maybe only partially true.

I could go on.....

Ok, I see. If you take that statement out of context, you are of course right.

I especially dislike the phrase "you can't go wrong with <fill-in-any-words-on-any-subject>". It's tantamount to saying "it doesn't matter".

Well that's fine if you say "it doesn't matter to ME".

But the wording was "YOU can't go wrong with ..." So how do you know that it doesn't matter to your reader?

Don't be reluctant to say I LIKE THIS or I DISLIKE THAT. The word "I" is a perfectly good way to frame a judgement or opinion.

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
But the wording was "YOU can't go wrong with ..."

... it was them talking to me, so that you was me. Sorry for my improper use of the English language. I'd be delighted if you could go back to my original statement and help me rephrase it correctly.

S
S
Originally Posted by navindra

Thanks! Yes, it sounds like a bug of some kind -- the difference in the various SK-EX renderings is significant and unmistakable.

Just recorded a single note with the different rendering types; they are all absolutely 100% identical. Restarting the DP doesn't fix it. Anyone else on firmware 1.05?

M
OP Offline
M
The thing is, I can literally only hear the different ambient settings when flipping through the rendering types. I have no idea if there is a bug, or if I am supposed to be doing something else, but if I just repeatedly press a note while flipping through all presets absolutely nothing seems to change.

Just to be sure what you were doing: you are in piano mode, select the SK-EX Concert Grand, open the settings (where it usually says "SK-EX Rendering"), and then switch through the different items in "Rendering Type" (Classic, Classic2, Romantic, ...)?

While I cannot hear much difference between Classic and Classic2 (but my ears are no longer as they were when I was young), most of the other rendering types sound different to me. If you can't hear a difference, there is still the chance of a bug, because you seem to be one of the few with the newer software...

S
S
Originally Posted by Martinez
The thing is, I can literally only hear the different ambient settings when flipping through the rendering types. I have no idea if there is a bug, or if I am supposed to be doing something else, but if I just repeatedly press a note while flipping through all presets absolutely nothing seems to change.

Just to be sure what you were doing: you are in piano mode, select the SK-EX Concert Grand, open the settings (where it usually says "SK-EX Rendering"), and then switch through the different items in "Rendering Type" (Classic, Classic2, Romantic, ...)?

While I cannot hear much difference between Classic and Classic2 (but my ears are no longer as they were when I was young), most of the other rendering types sound different to me. If you can't hear a difference, there is still the chance of a bug, because you seem to be one of the few with the newer software...

That is what I am doing. And I can't hear any difference, and neither can my spectrum analyser. :P

A
A
Just recorded a single note with the different rendering types; they are all absolutely 100% identical. Restarting the DP doesn't fix it. Anyone else on firmware 1.05?

I'm not on 1.05 yet! Hopefully not too long to wait.
When I switch between the rendering types I can hear when it switches, but I agree with you, Classic and Classic2 sound identical.

M
M
This is one of the 'bullet points' of CA99 improvements (I'm assuming the addition of the classic2 character is the improvement which may be wrong), so it would be a shame if there was no discernable difference.

- IMPROVED: SK-EX Rendering sound engine with multi-channel piano sampling

Page 4 of 191 1 2 3 4 5 6 190 191

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission