2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,142 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 22 1 2 3 4 21 22
R
R
Originally Posted by Bett
For some reason people have stripped supermarket shelves of toilet paper in my neck of the woods. I plan to handle lessons by using hand sanitizing gel on my hands before and after a lesson... oh, no, can't do that... the shelves have been stripped of tbat too! 😯

Well I guess it'll be the Sears-Roebuck catalog down by the crick. grin

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
The C virus is here in North Vancouver. Perhaps I shall stop teaching altogether ,I just do not know what else to do ?

S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by Lady Bird
The C virus is here in North Vancouver. Perhaps I shall stop teaching altogether ,I just do not know what else to do ?

The virus becomes progressively more serious the older we are—- read everything you can from legitimate sources and decide. If I were over 60 and teaching, I would personally cancel lessons for awhile and limit exposure to others.

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
This is a big topic of conversation in the movie theatre business too. The new James Bond movie has been moved to the fall and while nothing else has been moved (other than the Trolls movie that's going to move into the weekend that James Bond had originally planned to be in) everything seems to be a bit up in the air as far as what's going to happen in the future.

We live in interesting times.....

If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country and Western!
Casio Celviano AP-650
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I hope our fellow PWers who are travelling can get home safely.

Last edited by johnstaf; 03/09/20 03:55 AM.
B
B
Originally Posted by 3am_stargazing
Originally Posted by bennevis

You touch your face unconsciously though (many times an hour), so I don't think that's a very possible option.

It is a very possible option, and I am deadly serious.

Touching your face with your hands is a sure way to infect yourself with coronavirus - or any virus -, if you have it on your hands. Just think of what your hands have touched in the past ten minutes, if you haven't been sitting at the piano and tickling the ivories. The virus cannot penetrate intact skin, but it penetrates mucous membranes (eyes, nose, mouth).

Exactly it's one of the main ways to infect yourself, and you unconsciously will touch your face.

So just washing your hands is not enough. We will also need to disinfect the surfaces we touch, before we touch them.

You're misunderstanding my message, which is about your own self-preservation. You need to change your personal habits right now. Don't touch your face except with tissue paper etc.

The message is: Don't touch your face with unwashed hands. It's on the NHS website.

If you live like a hermit and don't ever leave your home, and nobody - not even your own family - is allowed in, you can disinfect everything in your home before you touch it. Are you going to go around with your spray disinfecting the doors of every building you walk in, and everything you have to use that isn't your own, each and every time before you touch it? What happens if someone is allergic to the stuff in your spray? Can you remember to wash your hands thoroughly every time before you touch your face?

If music be the food of love, play on!
B
B
Originally Posted by Bett
For some reason people have stripped supermarket shelves of toilet paper in my neck of the woods. I plan to handle lessons by using hand sanitizing gel on my hands before and after a lesson... oh, no, can't do that... the shelves have been stripped of tbat too! 😯

I thought it was only the uptight Poms who would panic buy, but it seems that laid-back Aussies are not so laid-back after all........ smirk

In case my neck of the woods goes into lockdown like northern Italy, I already have enough provisions in my home to survive for one year (not!) - which is how long the pandemic would last with the most optimistic AI modelling.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
You're misunderstanding my message, which is about your own self-preservation. You need to change your personal habits right now. Don't touch your face except with tissue paper etc.

No, we understand your message. We just question how realistic it is to think that people will actually be able to follow your advice. It's a bit like saying: "Playing the Hammerklavier sonata is actually quite easy. You just need to make sure not to play too slowly and not to play any wrong notes."

I think cleaning a surface that you are about to touch for a prolonged time, and that you know that other people have touched before you for a prolonged time, and before which those other people sat in perfect sneezing and coughing distance for a prolonged time too (i.e. keyboard of a practice room piano) is a sensible precaution. Because it is almost guaranteed (for normal mortals at least) that you *will* touch your face before the practice session is over.

You are not the first to give this "don't touch your face" advice, and check out how well it worked for the others:

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by dogperson
Bennevis is correct:
But one addition. Anti-viral sprays are not effective. Surface cleaners need to be a minimum of 70% isopropyl alcohol. Not sure that can be used on keys.

The length of time this virus can live on surface objects is not fully known but can be up to 9 days so you may risk spreading it to your piano music; when you get home, I would assume the music is infected and go through the same process. You also would need to factor in how much these pianos were played in the previous week based on the potentially long period the virus can still be transferred

https://www.infectioncontroltoday.c...surfaces-amid-novel-coronavirus-outbreak

The incidence rate is not fully known

I'm going to lightly spray and then wipe down the keys with this stuff. On the website, the company claims it should kill (deactivate) coronaviruses.

I'll be helping other people as well. (Although as I said, I don't think the particular virus is likely to be here for another week).

It's designed for use on upholstery as well so I assume it will not remove dyes or cause any more damage than peoples' sweat could do to the keys and action anyway.
[Linked Image]

You might want to read this from the Daily Mail. ‘There is no evidence this is effective against coronavirus

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...uhan-coronavirus-finally-reached-UK.html

Even Dettol admits it is ineffective
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10870648/dettol-coronavirus-wuhan-label/

I suggest you check out what to use from a legitimate government site

B
B
Originally Posted by JoBert

No, we understand your message. We just question how realistic it is to think that people will actually be able to follow your advice. It's a bit like saying: "Playing the Hammerklavier sonata is actually quite easy. You just need to make sure not to play too slowly and not to play any wrong notes."

I think cleaning a surface that you are about to touch for a prolonged time, and that you know that other people have touched before you for a prolonged time, and before which those other people sat in perfect sneezing and coughing distance for a prolonged time too (i.e. keyboard of a practice room piano) is a sensible precaution. Because it is almost guaranteed (for normal mortals at least) that you *will* touch your face before the practice session is over.

As you know, I never give advice which I don't - or can't - follow myself. I never ever touch my face with unwashed hands, without a clean tissue or hanky.

Because of my job, I myself have changed my personal habits several decades ago, and have adhered to what I am advising everyone in PW now, as have most others in my profession. I can shake hands etc with no problems because I don't touch my face. ("Elbowing" - or whatever it's called - as an alternative is frankly silly.... crazy).

BTW, 'cleaning' surfaces is not the same as sterilizing them. Don't rely on whatever you're using.....unless maybe if it's 100% alcohol.

We're not just talking about coughs and colds anymore.........

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by JoBert

About the best example of viral marketing and getting your message out for free I can imagine. As long as you don't value being embarrassed very highly.

I can easily imagine myself as that poor woman. The more I try and think about not touching my face the more I seem to do exactly that. I don't know if I'm just noticing something I've always been doing or whether trying not to just results in me doing.

It is the sort of behaviour change I'll only achieve over months of consciously catching myself out when I do it.

In the meantime I'll need to do less effective measure as well.

Last edited by KevinM; 03/09/20 08:18 AM. Reason: removing quote
J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Just a note about the mortality figures for COVID-19: currently they are almost certainly overestimates because there are no reliable figures yet about the total number infected. Since some cases are mild or asymptomatic (especially among young people), this is hard to determine. It will be a while before we have studies of sample populations testing for antibodies to find the full number exposed.

The epidemic is still concerning, of course, but it's good to be aware of the limits of our knowledge.

1989 Baldwin R
J
J
Don’t forget cell phones. Medical professionals have judged that cleaning cell phones may prove a more important health measure than wearing facemasks.

All the major phone-makers warn against cleaning your phone with alcohol, hand sanitizer, or sterilizing wipes because it can damage the protective coating on the screen.

Damaging this layer could make it easier for germs to stick to the device.

Modern phones tend to be water-resistant, so you could clean your phone with regular soap and water and a single-use paper towel. But verify your phone is water resistant beforehand.

Yamaha N1X, P-515.
Genelec 8331 monitors and 7350 sub.
VI’s: Garritan CFX, VSL Bösendorfer Upright, and VSL Blüthner 1895. Pianoteq.
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
I use Optico brand lens cleaning wipes for cleaning my phone as well as computer monitors and the lenses in my movie projector and even my glasses.

I get them at Costco.

If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country and Western!
Casio Celviano AP-650
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oberammergau

Anyone going? I know people who were planning to go.

Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jdw
Just a note about the mortality figures for COVID-19: currently they are almost certainly overestimates because there are no reliable figures yet about the total number infected. Since some cases are mild or asymptomatic (especially among young people), this is hard to determine. It will be a while before we have studies of sample populations testing for antibodies to find the full number exposed.

The epidemic is still concerning, of course, but it's good to be aware of the limits of our knowledge.

A likely more accurate number comes from South Korea, which has an aggressive testing regime. As of a few days ago, there were 50 deaths from 7313 infections, giving a mortality rate of 0.68%.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

OP Offline
Bennevis is correct:
But one addition. Anti-viral sprays are not effective. Surface cleaners need to be a minimum of 70% isopropyl alcohol. Not sure that can be used on keys.

The length of time this virus can live on surface objects is not fully known but can be up to 9 days so you may risk spreading it to your piano music; when you get home, I would assume the music is infected and go through the same process. You also would need to factor in how much these pianos were played in the previous week based on the potentially long period the virus can still be transferred

I'm going to lightly spray and then wipe down the keys with this stuff. On the website, the company claims it should kill (deactivate) coronaviruses.

I'll be helping other people as well. (Although as I said, I don't think the particular virus is likely to be here for another week).

It's designed for use on upholstery as well so I assume it will not remove dyes or cause any more damage than peoples' sweat could do to the keys and action anyway.
[Linked Image]

You might want to read this from the Daily Mail. ‘There is no evidence this is effective against coronavirus

However, if you study the ingredients, it has Anionic Surfactants - and this does kill enveloped viruses. There's no reason why the novel coronavirus will not be killed (deactivated) by a chemical which kills other coronaviruses.

Kawai K-500 | M-Audio Keystation 49 | Casio PX-S1000 | ADAM Audio T8V
OP Offline
Originally Posted by jdw

The current death rate estimates will also be underestimates in another direction, which is time. Most of the cases are not resolved yet, so a lot of the deaths are lagging the diagnoses.

Kawai K-500 | M-Audio Keystation 49 | Casio PX-S1000 | ADAM Audio T8V
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Bennevis is correct:

[Linked Image]

However, if you study the ingredients, it has Anionic Surfactants - and this does kill enveloped viruses. There's no reason why the novel coronavirus will not be killed (deactivated) by a chemical which kills other coronaviruses.

Amazing that the manufacturer says it doesn’t work. Glad you’re satisfied

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Stubbie
Originally Posted by jdw

A likely more accurate number comes from South Korea, which has an aggressive testing regime. As of a few days ago, there were 50 deaths from 7313 infections, giving a mortality rate of 0.68%.

There have been other estimates in that range, however, I think there is a systematic problem here. From an article on Friday or Saturday:
"The best estimates now of the overall mortality rate for COVID-19 is somewhere between 0.1% and 1%," Adm. Brett Giroir, assistant secretary for health at HHS, says. "That's lower than you heard probably in many reports ... it's not likely in the range of 2 to 3%"

Something I think one should consider is that if the fatality rate of COVID-19 is really only from 0.1% to 1%, then with the 366 people that have been confirmed to have died in Italy, this would suggest that from 36,600 people (1% death rate) to 366,000 people (0.1% death rate) actually have COVID-19 in Italy.

Furthermore, 3,892 people have died worldwide form COVID-19 as of this moment. Does it make it better to think that from 389,200 - 3,892,000 people actually have COVID-19 right now? Because only 111,362 cases have been reported as of this moment, which would mean that if Dr. Giroir is right, there are from 277,838 - 3,780,638 more cases that have not been reported. If he is right, this would also mean that from 71.3% - 97.1% of all COVID-19 cases are actually going unreported so far.

It comes down to this: Would you rather believe that the death rate is higher, or that there are more people unreported people are sick? Because the former is scary, but the if you think about it, the latter is far scarier!

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Page 2 of 22 1 2 3 4 21 22

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission