2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (Craig Hair, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, Davidnewmind, 5 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
My name is Jack, actually John, but because I was one of three Johns who were often seen together, I took my grandfather's tradition and went by Jack to avoid being called by my initials: JL, which sounds much like Jail when spoken quickly. This was long ago and far away, and now Jack has become a rather common name. Life.

When I would find myself in a flock of Jacks, I'd introduce myself as "Big Jack." I'm not big. But the rest of the Jacks would be referred to as "little" just by default and it gave me a laugh.

So, there came a day when I met an actual "Big Jack" - and it wasn't me. So I introduced myself as Jackifus Prime, just to make a joke out of jockeying for position.

That was in a job I held for years, and so I was known as Jackifus - in a jokey sort of way. When the need for unique login identities arrived on the scene, I found that using jackifus has always been available without numeric qualifiers... so voila - jackifus it is.

Kawai MP11SE | K&M 18950 | Kawai CA701 | Pianoteq Pro (Bleuthner, Steingraeber, Petrof, Bechstein, Steinway B & D, Electric Pianos, K) | Sennheiser HD600
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Hmmmm ... I wonder what will become of my grandson Jack, son of Jon.

OP Offline
I would never have guessed. And ... I learned a new word today. My wife is already tired of hearing me say it. smile
Originally Posted by sleutelbos
Many moons ago I started my musical journey on a classical guitar. I registered at a Dutch guitar forum and had to pick a monicker. I have the habbit to pick objects near me as name, and this time I picked my 'sleutelbos':
[Linked Image]

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
My first name is David and my last name is B.... smile

I guess I'm not very creative.

God Bless,
David

Last edited by David B; 03/05/20 01:06 AM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
For me, A K C are my initials and 42 is the answer to everything (Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy) but has a lot of resonances with my life. 42 is my house number in the street where I live (and I've lived there for over 30 years). When I was younger at work doing project management, I was brought in to fix a project that was going wrong. On the project there was a saying that all work packages still had 6 weeks to go and so the number of days in 6 weeks stuck with me. I've been using this monika akc42 since I first found the internet and is normally my username where it isn't your email address. I rarely (if ever) have found it already taken.

[Linked Image]

O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
There a lot to nym - another user harassed me for my name selection and wanted me to be kicked out of the forum or change my name... I think he got kicked out smile

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
Osho #2954477 03/05/20 02:39 PM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Osho
There a lot to nym - another user harassed me for my name selection and wanted me to be kicked out of the forum or change my name... I think he got kicked out smile

Osho

I recently watched a documentary about a spiritual leader called Osho who was involved in some serious scam and other criminal activities. I guess someone might get offended by you choosing this nickname, but then it's just a nickname. People nowadays get offended by everything...

Last edited by CyberGene; 03/05/20 02:40 PM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
S
S
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
I would never have guessed. And ... I learned a new word today. My wife is already tired of hearing me say it. smile
Many moons ago I started my musical journey on a classical guitar. I registered at a Dutch guitar forum and had to pick a monicker. I have the habbit to pick objects near me as name, and this time I picked my 'sleutelbos':
[Linked Image]

Ha, I wonder how you pronounce it!

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
When I was in the Air Force my unit had at one time airmen with the names Jesus, Moses, Mohammad, Lucifer and Adolph. But to be fair Adolph was Adolphus on his birth certificate.

A long long time ago, I can still remember
How that music used to make me smile....
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Kbeaumont
When I was in the Air Force my unit had at one time airmen with the names Jesus, Moses, Mohammad, Lucifer and Adolph. But to be fair Adolph was Adolphus on his birth certificate.

My favorite name is Major Major Major Major from Catch-22, by Joseph Heller. Major Major Major was named that way by his father, as a joke, and then Major Major Major joined the Air Force. The officers could not pass up the delicious opportunity to promote him to Major. Catch-22 is fiction but it is hilarious, and terrifying, fiction.

Last edited by LarryK; 03/05/20 03:12 PM.
OP Offline
I pronounce it just exactly the way google translate tell me to! smile
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
[Linked Image]

Ha, I wonder how you pronounce it!

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
The show M.A.S.H had an episode where several the characters addressed each other "Major", "Major", "Major" and it kept going back and forth.

Last edited by Kbeaumont; 03/05/20 03:21 PM.

A long long time ago, I can still remember
How that music used to make me smile....
OP Offline
I thought it would be good to resurrect this thread. We have many new members, so ... what's in your nym?

Fun...

My first name is Vincent (in french). I love that name because it has so many local variations. I insist to be called by the local stuff. So I am Vincenzo in Italy, Vicente in Spain, Vinzenz in Germany... and Βικενδιος - Vikendios in Greece, a country I love and speak the language of. I will only draw the line at Vince and Vinnie in the US ! You'll have to call me a full Vincent there. But if you call out my name in Greece you will have to say Βικενδιε (Vikendieh) cause they use the vocative, and even Personal names will use declensions.

I find it fun to guess the personality behind the nym. Retsacnal obviously has something to do with Lancaster, and Bennevis with Scotland and mountain climbing.

Life is a smorgasbord, and I want to taste everything.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thank you Vikendios!

Last week i was reading some of your posts and wondering what was the basis behind your PW name ..... words/names/letters/alphabets are things ive grown to enjoy studying because of how there are interesting histories behind each of the symbols behind letters and many times they intersect in wondrous or strange ways .... did you know that minus wild cards, a standard deck of playing cards has one card for every week of the year ..... cards are also rich in symbolic history but there are also reasons why some of my devout ancestors warned me to not dabble in those kinds of arts. 😈

At that time last week i was unaware of this here thread but nonetheless saw/heard a similarity with Vikendios and ‘vaya con Dios’ .... go with God 😇 ..... and any time i see a Greek connection i think of one of my favorite musicians - Vangelis ..... i can always remember that part of his name but need to look up the whole -
Evángelos Odysséas Papathanassíou .

I was named after my mother’s Uncle Drew, my initials DRS. My Father’s side was mostly German with a sprinkling of native “Shawnee”. Although Mother’s side was mostly German, there is also some English, Welsh and Scottish there too but my name is simply Drew ..... as it turned out, it was a good thing they named me that ...... while growing up, that is what many people called me 😉

Last edited by drewr; 06/26/21 11:12 AM.

- Kawai MP7 and LSR308 monitors
- Roland HP-508
- DT770 Pro-80 and MDR-7506 phones
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Where I live, and who I am. Not very creative.

Rodney Sauer
Kawai KG-2E • Kawai ES8 • Kawai ES920
D
D
Pianophile was taken (or was it PianoPhil, or both, I can’t remember…), and since I am most likely never going to own an acoustic piano (AP), but will stay with a digital piano (DP), I went with the obvious, as my first name is Philippe, shortened as Phil.

Now that I think of it, I should have used DPianoPhil instead. Oh well… smile

Complete beginner, started 12/2020 with Yamaha PSR-E373. I used to play guitar some 40 years ago and recall some music theory, sheet music reading. Making steady progress with the Faber's Adult All-in-One method books and complements.

Yamaha P-515 (white)
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ColoRodney
Where I live, and who I am. Not very creative.
I always thought it was from Colonel Rodney 😀

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by DPPianoPhil
Pianophile was taken (or was it PianoPhil, or both, I can’t remember…), and since I am most likely never going to own an acoustic piano (AP), but will stay with a digital piano (DP), I went with the obvious, as my first name is Philippe, shortened as Phil.

Now that I think of it, I should have used DPianoPhil instead. Oh well… smile

Never say never Philippe. Your name now allows you to own a DP as well as a Piano so you're covered!

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
EB5AGV, as some of you know, is my amateur radio callsign. As it is unique in the world, and I got it in 1992, before my Internet adventure began, back in 1996, I used it at most forums and email lists I joined since then

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission