2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
48 members (anotherscott, CaseyVancouver, AlphaTerminus, 3B43, Curt-S, bounced, David B, brdwyguy, 8 invisible), 890 guests, and 559 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 73 of 98 1 2 71 72 73 74 75 97 98
pagirl #2952960 02/29/20 03:37 PM
Fran, thanks so much! I love this supportive group!

I totally agree with your approach. At our level, the pieces are short, so focusing on 1 or 2 things is certainly doable. I think you are making leap of progress this way without even knowing it!

For me, the bottom line is how I can make it sound more musical. If it doesn't sound pleasant to my ears, what I can do to make it better... For now, I have too many things that I need to improve: subtle level of soft/loud control, hand techniques, evenly playing scales/arpeggio, left/right hands balance, sight reading, and many other more that I don't even know what...

I remember enw10 mentioned dynamics and phrasing, those are on top of my mind now...

Take my next song as example, Scarborough Fair, it seems slow and easy but I think it really tests our ability to put dynamics in music, otherwise it won't even sound like a song... (I listened to some YouTube recordings...)

Maple Leaf Rag, Page 20, Faber FunTime Ragtime&Marches
Self-studied Alfred Adult AIO Level 1; Faber Accelerated Lesson Book 2; Faber 3A/B
My Recordings
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
P
P
Originally Posted by CognitaP
pagirl thanks for the reply . Im might try to practince these slowley to get the technique right it may help with stengthenong my hands. I will keep you posted to how I get on with them .

Cognita...Didn’t know whether or not you had seen these. They have been really helpful to me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CADzL6mC63w&list=PLROQq1cZUMn9lq2U9fBeJxtbcsAJaNfzc

Fran...

Yamaha Arius 164, Classic popular, Soft Rock, Studying In PIano Adventures AIO, Unit 11, Pianote Foundations
pagirl #2953068 02/29/20 08:50 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pagirl
pagirl thanks for the reply . Im might try to practince these slowley to get the technique right it may help with stengthenong my hands. I will keep you posted to how I get on with them .

Cognita...Didn’t know whether or not you had seen these. They have been really helpful to me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CADzL6mC63w&list=PLROQq1cZUMn9lq2U9fBeJxtbcsAJaNfzc

Fran...

Thanks for bringing this in Fran, I didn’t know Faber had a Hanon study.

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently unit 4
Faber All In One -Level 2
Grateful Dead fan since 1987
C
C
pagirl

Thank you for the link . I had looked at the introduction video before I brought the book but had not looked at the others explaining the gestures. They look like they will be very helpful. So thank you

I find all the Faber vidoes to the Adult Piano Adventures extremely useful as Radall has a very calm and methodical approach to the explinations on technique and artistry. Being able to see and hear how something should be played gives me a guide to my practice.

dobro if you haven't seen any of the videos for Piano Adventures, they are all available on the Piano Adventures web site or on YouTube. On pagirls recommendation I have just brought the Faber Hannon book and whilst 16th notes are beyond me at the moment if I start practicing slowly I believe the exercises in the book will definatly help with strenthening my hands

Working on Faber Adult Piano Adventures AIO Book 2 Unit 3

Playing on a Rolands HP 505 Digital Piano
P
P
@dobro- I’m glad you can use these. His videos are really useful!

@CognitaP- you are so welcome! I used these every day when I first started using Hanon-Faber, and still refresh my memory with them often. He has similar videos that are included with the AIO app, and I especially like the 3 minute technique videos that he has for each lesson. I think you can also see them on YouTube. Have fun with them. 😊

Fran...

Yamaha Arius 164, Classic popular, Soft Rock, Studying In PIano Adventures AIO, Unit 11, Pianote Foundations
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
@CognitaP, thanks, I knew about the videos for my level and I have the dvd as well but I didn’t know about anything they had with Hanon. You are ever so correct about the videos too, he does a great job. He is calm and laid back but can play lightening fast when he wants and it looks effortless.

@pagirl, yea, as I wrote above, I had no idea about a Faber-Hanon book and I have it on my scribe service. I went thru some of it last night during practice.

I hope everybody is having a nice weekend.

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently unit 4
Faber All In One -Level 2
Grateful Dead fan since 1987
C
C
@pagirl

Yes I have the AIO. App . I find it very useful for the videos. I like both the introdution and the 3 minute technique videos for all the book 1 levels, as there is always something to learn from each .
I also use the play along section of the app but more to get a sense of rythmn and tempo initially then play each piece without the app . I dont want to get to rely on an app for being able to play the pieces as I want to eventualy get to a point where I can play music that I chose to play just from the sheet music . At the moment Im a long way from being able to do this this but this is my ultimate long term goal

P
P
I@CognitaP, I find I’m using the loop mode, with the left or right hand option to learn the score. I recently found out that because I was starting out learning both hands together, I wasn’t able to play them singly at all. I would get confused, loose my place when trying, and have to start over. This was after I thought I had the piece down. Using it has really helped to correct that. I really believe it was just about the best $4.99 I ever spent!!!

Fran...

I'm running into another "fast like crazy" piece "Campbells are coming", I should use songs like this as Hanon-like exercises... whome

Self-studied Alfred Adult AIO Level 1; Faber Accelerated Lesson Book 2; Faber 3A/B
My Recordings
C
C
@pagirl

Yes I agree the app is definitely worth the money and has a lot of options to choose from including being able to play left hand or right hand separately and as you say looping what you are playing . It also has the ability to test your own practice if you link it to your own piano. I have yet to do this but can see the benefit .

I can certainly see the benefit of you using it with the loop and hands separately to start with.

I am doing something similar but not with the app. Maybe I ought to try it . What I do is when I get a difficult section I just concentrate on playing this section repeating it until its right before including it back into the whole piece . On each repeat I try to figure out what has gone well and whats not and then correct whats not . For me its often getting the rhythms right or getting my fingers to work at the right speed.

@Wish4 Thing
Yes it does feel like exercises on the fast pieces . Im sure that Faber has included them to test and improve our skills at the levels we are working on . Good luck with getting it nailed down .

Thanks, CognitaP!

I post the question in facebook PA discussion group. There're a couple of things I got from comments that I thought would be interesting here:
1. some students' progress slows down at the end of 2B and beginning of 3A.
2. this particular piece I mentioned (Campbells are coming) is 6/8 time signature, tempo mark is 96-108bpm per dotted quarter note, meaning each 1/8 note gets a click at speed of 96*3bpm. Teachers prefer the concept of 2 beats per measure in 6/8 time signature because that's how the rhythm should be played (1st and 4th 1/8 notes get stronger beat). Fortunately on my metronome, I'm able to set 2 beats per bar/measure and 3 clicks per beat.
3. no one on facebook PA group says it's ok to be slower than marked tempo... grin

Have a great day to everyone!

My Recordings
P
P
Wow, Wish4Thing! That is fast!!! At this point, for me, it is mind boggling! I wish you all the luck and skill in the world!!!

I have a big question...How did all of you memorize the Major Pentascales? I know the formula, and I can read and play them well enough using the score, but it seems overwhelming to memorize all the notes! Any hints would really be appreciated!

Fran...

pagirl #2954334 03/05/20 12:07 AM
Originally Posted by pagirl
Wow, Wish4Thing! That is fast!!! At this point, for me, it is mind boggling! I wish you all the luck and skill in the world!!!

I have a big question...How did all of you memorize the Major Pentascales? I know the formula, and I can read and play them well enough using the score, but it seems overwhelming to memorize all the notes! Any hints would really be appreciated!

Fran...

ha I'm at 80bpm now, and my mind is already twisted sick

On major scales, the only thing I memorize is the formula whole-whole-half-whole... but what do I know without a teacher... blush would like to hear other ideas too 2hearts

My Recordings
What I do is when I get a difficult section I just concentrate on playing this section repeating it until its right before including it back into the whole piece . On each repeat I try to figure out what has gone well and whats not and then correct whats not . For me its often getting the rhythms right or getting my fingers to work at the right speed.

I'm doing the same...

My Recordings
C
C
@Wish4 Thing

Thank you for sharing I am not on Facebook so don’t know what is said in this group.

re moving from books 2B to 3A i wonder of this because the difficulty increases rapidly or its because some start to explore other music to learn from instead. Just a thought .

RE 6/8 timing. My understanding of time signatures is that in 6/8 it is the 8th notes that take the beat so its one click of the metronome for every 8th note if the metronome is set at 6/8 . As two eighth notes fit into one quarter note beat this means you are playing at twice the speed you would if you were playing quarter notes.

For the top time signature of 6 this means 6 eighth notes (or equivalent notes) in the bar and its the way you accent these 6 eight note that give the music the distinct 6/8th note feel.

I came across this YouTube video by Clasicsmus which explains the difference between 3/4 and 6/8. It may help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDFFKhAXaHY

here is another video that explains how to count the beats

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1j6CfSUvJmE#fauxfullscreen

Let us know how you get on

C
C
@pagirl

i learnt the theory of major scales before coming to Faber. Rather than trying to learn all the notes all you need to learn is what note the scale starts on on and how many sharps or flats are in the scale. You can learn this through what is called the Circle of Fifths.

The only notes you have to then lean is the order of the sharps or flats. For Sharps this is F C G D A E B .

Essentially for the sharps C major has no sharps or flats so you just play all white notes up the scale C D E F G A B and back to C .

You then go to the 5th note of the C major scale which is the G and this is the starting note for the next major scale which is the G major scale. This has one sharp which is a half step below the G the F# So you play G A B C D E all as white notes and then add the F# as the next note before coming back to the G so the scale is G A B C D E F# G

For the next scale this is again starts on the 5th note of the scale you have just done in this case the G major scale. The 5th note of the G major scale is D so this is your new scale.
the D major scale has 2 sharps one is the half step down from the D which is C# and the other is the F# which you had previously. so the scale is D E F# G A B C# D

So each new scale starts on the 5th note of the previous scale and each new scale keeps all of the sharps previously added plus adding the sharp on the last note of the scale.

Once you get your head around learning the scales with sharps you will see that there is a similar pattern for flats but instead of each scale starting on the 5th note each scale following the one you are on goes up in 4ths

If you get stuck the whole step and Half step pattern can be used to confirm what the notes are For the major scale is pattern is WWH WWWH

Circle of fifths takes awhile to get your head around but once learnt helps in the long run. The challenge after this is the correct fingering for playing the scales which is a whole other ball game and one Im still working on.

I hope this helps and is not too confusing . Maybe someone else on this forum has a better way of explaining it

P
P
[quote
On major scales, the only thing I memorize is the formula whole-whole-half-whole... but what do I know without a teacher... blush would like to hear other ideas too 2hearts
[/quote]

I understand, I really miss my teacher, I had to give up my lessons because we had a major financial setback, so I’m adrift and on my own now. I’m not giving up though...

Fran...

Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
I learned the scale by also learning the interval pattern . A couple of things that also may help:
- As you move around the circle of fifths, each new scale will have one more sharp than the last
C - zero
G- one
D - two
The seventh tone (I.e. the f in the g major) will always be sharped

I found learning the intervals and how they work to be much easier than memorizing the actual notes.
As you practice, you might try saying out loud ‘ whole , whole , half ..... as you play the note

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
P
P
@Cognita- This really helps. I knew that to find a major chord, you can count 4 half steps from your starting point, (ie) from C... C# to E, then another 3 half steps to F F# G for a major, then drop the E back to D# for a minor. Hope that makes sense. 4 half steps + 3 more half steps for a major. 3 half steps + 4 half steps for the minor. You gave me an idea for memorizing them! Make some flash cards with the number of sharps or flats plus their names, and go through them every afternoon. That plus playing through half of them every morning should get me on the way to remembering them...thank you!!!

Fran...

Thanks, CognitaP, those videos clearly explained 6/8! For exactly same reason, most music teachers say, strictly speaking, it's 2 beats, 3 clicks/subdivisions per beat... "6 beats" are used only when teaching beginners, but in formal music theory, it's 2 beats... (1&4 are played stronger to reflect that). This is also hinted in Faber lesson book 3A, the time signature says dotted quarter note gets 1 beat, I was wondering why "dotted quarter note" instead of "1/8 note" but now I understand...

have a great day!

My Recordings
Page 73 of 98 1 2 71 72 73 74 75 97 98

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Best Format for external SSD using MAC
by Mta88 - 06/17/21 04:03 PM
Please help!
by Mariahmcg - 06/17/21 03:34 PM
Chromatic scales up and down or side to side.
by ronlefebvre - 06/17/21 02:48 PM
How many moves has your piano endured?
by cfhosford - 06/17/21 02:26 PM
new owner of old upright: repair /adjust questions
by John Beale - 06/17/21 11:47 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,570
Posts3,104,638
Members101,838
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission