2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
78 members (BlizzardPiano, antune, andrewlapp, Baltguy, anotherscott, Abdol, Alex Hutor, 17 invisible), 655 guests, and 618 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 31 of 40 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 39 40
S
S
Originally Posted by Kawai James
However, I know that the action is faster and more responsive than previous GF actions, so it's possible that some players may confuse this change as simply being "lighter".

My speculation is that the perceived weight and speed of an action is a combination of the static weight of the keys and the friction. With the changes in the GFIII that removes the problematic teflon tape, I'd guess (and hope!) that friction is reduced but the static key weight has stayed the same, thereby producing a faster action that feels lighter.

Unfortunately the pianos have not yet arrived in Switzerland, but I'm looking forward to testing it to see if my two biggest gripes with the CA98 - the spongy key bottom and boxy sound - have been improved.

G
G
Hi guys

Someone owning the CA x9 can record the key noise with volume off or off piano?

My music is on youtube or SoundCloud, name Giko Gomez
O
O
Honestly, I do not think you can get an idea through a recording as it depends on microphones, compression of audio etc... i can tell you is low and soft... it should not bother anyone

R
R
Originally Posted by OldDog
As proud user of a Kawai CA79 i can tell the action is fantastic... as it happens among grand pianos some are heavier than others... but all of them have grand piano actions. GFIII feels really nice (i come from an acoustic upright)... it someone has interest in the action weight I can measure it (not super accurately though).

If you could test that it'd be great

S
S
Originally Posted by Giko Gomez
Hi guys

Someone owning the CA x9 can record the key noise with volume off or off piano?

Key noise is relative to something else. Just recording the noise alone gives little indication of how good/bad it is. It is missing the sonic equivalent of 'banana for scale'.

G
G
If i can visit a big shop, i 'll record some pianos with my phone, is not too good, but being the same phone, if someone sounds loud, then is loud.
i dont want bring my H6 in vacation.
But you all are correct, if a single piano, there is no chance of comparation

M
M
I have the option of part-exchanging my CA97 for a CA99. Has anyone actually tried or received one yet and given a decent review?

S
S
If i can visit a big shop, i 'll record some pianos with my phone, is not too good, but being the same phone, if someone sounds loud, then is loud.

A phone will usually apply a variable gain to the microphone to make everything the same level.

L
L
I felt both GFI (MP11SE) and GFII (CA98) were pretty light in their action. Having played many grands (Yamaha, Kawai, M&H, Boston, Steinway), both of them are far from a grand action. Given GFIII is an incremental improvement, I fear the light action claims might end up to be true (don't know what Kawai wants to emulate here).
Only the NV10 felt like the real deal to me. The question I always have in my mind is that if GF series is a grand action, why is so different from the NV10 action ?

Last edited by LazyLizard; 03/05/20 10:00 AM.

Kawai NV10 || Roland RD 2000
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Oh no! Another mention of the **real** grand feel of the NV10 ... which I won't own for at least another year.
I hate the tease! frown

G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by LazyLizard
Only the NV10 felt like the real deal to me. The question I always have in my mind is that if GF series is a grand action, why is so different from the NV10 action ?

The GF-series isn't a real grand action. It's a digital action made to feel like a grand (as every other digital piano manufacturer also tries to do). How well they succeed in this varies to a great degree.

The reason the NV-10 felt real to you is because that one IS a real grand piano action smile

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
M
M
Originally Posted by LazyLizard
I felt both GFI (MP11SE) and GFII (CA98) were pretty light in their action. Having played many grands (Yamaha, Kawai, M&H, Boston, Steinway), both of them are far from a grand action. Given GFIII is an incremental improvement, I fear the light action claims might end up to be true (don't know what Kawai wants to emulate here).

There must be something subjetive in digital piano weight feel, since I feel almost every accoustic piano I play lighter than my MP11, and many of them even lighter than the CL35. Could it be due to regulation? Somewhere I read that in old times, actions were light, and accoustic pianos in Argentina are mostly more than 50 or 80 years old.

Pianoteq / Kawai CL 35 & MP11 / Old 1920's Upright Zimmerman
O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Oh no! Another mention of the **real** grand feel of the NV10 ... which I won't own for at least another year.
I hate the tease! frown

Well, there may be NV11 or NV20 out there by then - so you may get the latest and greatest smile

BTW, have you decided on NV10?

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
No, I haven't decided. Indeed, where I'll be moving next year there are no Kawai dealers. I'll have to travel 100 miles across state lines to find one.

G
G
today i found the piano in vienna, and i liked it.
Is very silent, especially compared to that piano with transparent cabinet and action like upright- This was really noising, i cannot imagine someone playing that piano with someone else reading or studying in the same room.

I also heard a detuning betweel Ab2 and c5, like a real piano not perfectly tuned,
I know that we can tune the piano, but why is not tuned by factory?

OP Offline
today i found the piano in vienna, and i liked it.
Is very silent, especially compared to that piano with transparent cabinet and action like upright

May I ask which "piano with transparent cabinet" you are referring to?
I believe both Yamaha and Kawai produces versions of the NU1X and NV5 respectively which transparent upper boards, revealing the action inside.

I also heard a detuning betweel Ab2 and c5, like a real piano not perfectly tuned

Can you provide more detail, please? Which sound did you use? Did you perform a Factory Reset to ensure that all settings were restored to the original defaults?

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
I have one more question about new software, does it remember ambience type along with piano preset? It bugs me that ambience turns itself back on on it's own to default value while changing presets.

M
M
James, any chance you could clarify this point on the CA79/99:

- Authentic new electric piano, organ, harpsichord, strings, and bass sounds

Looking at the list of sounds in the user manual they look more or less the same as the 78/98, so have Kawai used new samples for the above mentioned sounds?

R
R
I am interested in buying a CA99. Can someone tell me the current fair price? (I live in the USA) I'm also considering the Roland LX 708 or 706. Which one of those two models are closer to the price of the CA99?

C
C
Got to try the CA 79 today for an hour and was very impressed. It is incredibly fun to play and should be realistic enough for most needs. I found the action more "fun" to play than brand new Kawai uprights that were also available to try.
The harder Keybed is a huge upgrade compared to GF1&2. Also the key noise is noticeably quieter than my Korg D1 at home. Sound is very nice for a digital.

Last edited by Charades; 03/06/20 01:43 PM.
Page 31 of 40 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 39 40

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New post on my blog about dynamics and phrasing
by BlizzardPiano - 05/14/21 03:46 PM
Identifying Grieg Music!
by Amy H - 05/14/21 02:45 PM
Hand Development and the Thumb
by Ghostnotes - 05/14/21 02:41 PM
Interesting Craigslist find: Knabe Grand
by D.P. - 05/14/21 01:41 PM
Pipe Organ built into a house
by FrankCox - 05/14/21 12:59 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,932
Posts3,093,508
Members101,517
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission