2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (bcalvanese, 20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 11 invisible), 1,928 guests, and 267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 127 of 237 1 2 125 126 127 128 129 236 237
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BachToTheFuture
I connected the two cables no problem.

VRM off doesn't change the resonance.

I hear it with my headphone or without. It's really painful when playing a ragtime.

I tried all voices. The less resonant is the 5.

But do you hear it in the recording you made? Have you listened to your own recording? Because I don't hear anything.

This might be one of those subjective aural perception issues that regularly pops up in this forum. Our perception of sound varies from person to person. Not so long ago, we had one member who would regularly hear bongos from his DP.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
M
Online Content
M
I don’t hear anything wrong in those files either. But I’ve had a similar problem with my P515. People report different problems with the same piano, which seems a bit odd. I think they happen because some kind of internal resonance. In my case, the only thing that has improved it is, with the SmartPianist app, diminishing the volume of each of the offending notes. That worked for me. You might try it.

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dima5222
Ouch. I have to lift it in the upper floor.
Guess I have to ask one of the neighbours for help...

Contact your dealer. They should sent professional piano movers with the N1x.
You could get hurt. Or drop it! cursing

Kawai NV10
B
B
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
I connected the two cables no problem.

VRM off doesn't change the resonance.

I hear it with my headphone or without. It's really painful when playing a ragtime.

I tried all voices. The less resonant is the 5.

But do you hear it in the recording you made? Have you listened to your own recording? Because I don't hear anything.

This might be one of those subjective aural perception issues that regularly pops up in this forum. Our perception of sound varies from person to person. Not so long ago, we had one member who would regularly hear bongos from his DP.

As I said above, I don't hear it in the recording.
It is not subjective because my son hears it. At the same location of the keyboard. And my wife hears it too.
And it is not a vibration because I hear it with the headphone.
I think it's an amplification flaw.

My pianos : Kawai ES8, Yamaha N1X
Headphone : Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 Ω
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
If it’s audible both through speakers and headphones, yet is OK in exported WAV files on a USB drive, then it must be the amplification indeed. You can double check if you record an audio from the headphone output and you can hear it in that recording.

Last edited by CyberGene; 02/28/20 02:01 PM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
As I said above, I don't hear it in the recording.
It is not subjective because my son hears it. At the same location of the keyboard. And my wife hears it too.
And it is not a vibration because I hear it with the headphone.
I think it's an amplification flaw.

Have you eliminated that it could be environmental? Due to reflections? That would explain why it is on only certain keys, for example.

Perhaps you could temporarily move your piano across the room (should be easier than assembling it!) and see if it affects the sound in any way.

Also, why is it not affecting the recording. How did you record this? With a mic? Or a smartphone? Smartphones may not be sensitive enough to pick up some high frequency sounds such as parasitic vibrations.

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by CyberGene
If it’s audible both through speakers and headphones, yet is OK in exported WAV files on a USB drive, then it must be the amplification indeed. You can double check if you record an audio from the headphone output and you can hear it in that recording.

+1. If everything is as OP says:

1. Multiple people hear it (rules out individual auditory response)
2. Heard over speakers (rules out headphone issue)
3. Heard over headphones (rules out room/environmental resonance, speaker issue)
4. Not heard over recording (rules out inherent sound engine/sampling issue)

...then what's left is whatever may be in the audio pipeline that goes to analog output but not digital recording.

One thing you may want to try is to see if you can output it through the USB interface to your PC, and then listen to your PC output from your headphones....but there are a lot of edge-case tests you could try at this point that are probably diminishing returns...

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
B
B
To be clear. A record made with the piano isn't a record of the sound that we hear while playing with or without the headphone.

I think there are several amplification levels (stories ?), and when you record you don't use all.

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
To be clear. A record made with the piano isn't a record of the sound that we hear while playing with or without the headphone.

I think there are several amplification levels (stories ?), and when you record you don't use all.

Hence, it may be worth testing the USB-audio out, and/or recording from the line-out or headphone jacks to see if any of those capture the noise you describe (at the very least, others here would be able to confirm they hear what you do).

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
B
B
Originally Posted by Gombessa

Hence, it may be worth testing the USB-audio out, and/or recording from the line-out or headphone jacks to see if any of those capture the noise you describe (at the very least, others here would be able to confirm they hear what you do).

Yes, I agree with you. But at the moment I have nothing to record from the headphone output.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gombessa

Yes, I agree with you. But at the moment I have nothing to record from the headphone output.

I still don’t get it. If you can hear the defect through headphones, then you can certainly record the same sound using an audio cable plugged into the headphones output jack, so we can hear it too.

B
B
I have only a male male stereo cable.
I understand that I must put it into a mic input.

But with what do I record it ?

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I have only a male male stereo cable.
I understand that I must put it into a mic input.

But with what do I record it ?

If you have an audio interface with two mono jack inputs, you can use a Y-split cable to split the headphone stereo jack into two separate mono signals. If your computer has line-in, then you can use a simple mini stereo jack (computer side) to stereo jack (piano side, either mini jack with adapter or big stereo jack).

Last edited by CyberGene; 02/29/20 05:54 AM.

N
N
I found the post by BachToTheFuture to be quite interesting, because on my new N1X, I thought I heard some unusual sounding resonance (or something just a bit "tinny") on F4. I am not yet convinced it is a problem or just my ears. I hope BachToTheFuture is able to address his concerns, and it's great to see so much help and support for such matters on this forum.

Separate topic.... In the past (on my old Roland KR-375 digital piano), I used my Steinberg UR22 audio interface box for either MIDI or Audio recording. So far, I've just tried AUDIO recording of my new N1X using the L and R Aux connectors to my Steinberg UR22 and everything works fine when recording in to Garage Band.

Would anyone know the following - - - Music editing aside, will the best (most acoustically realistic) N1X recording be achieved using MIDI (and a quality VST from the likes of Synthology or Garritan) or just using native Audio (using my Steinberg UR22 audio interface box) as exported from N1X? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated, as I research how to get the most acoustically realistic recordings from my N1X. If this has been answered specific to N1X (or N2 or N3X) in another thread, please point me to that thread if possible.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
The N1X supports audio over USB. Then instead of converting to analog then back to digital, a direct digital record would certainly be prefered. You can also record a WAV file on a USB drive.

I suppose high quality VST to be preferable since they can use unlooped sample. The integrated sound generator of the N1X can be interesting on live since the spatial sampling involve more than a stereo 2 channel sample set... but this has no interest with a stereo record.

Last edited by Frédéric L; 02/29/20 12:23 PM.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
B
B
I have no audio interface, I don't think I would be able to record the headphone output.
I understand it is the only way to record perfectly the analog signal.
I could record with a smartphone but It will be of poor quality.
Perhaps my camera, it is a Panasonic DMC-FZ100.
I try.

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
I wonder if ‘looping’ on an instrument like the N1X is kept at a minimum (not noticeable during normal playing) by sampling just enough of the original note without having to capture the entire duration of it. A concert grand note can ring forever and perhaps there’s just no need to sample it entirely.

Also, as mentioned above, the AvantGrands use four-point sampling which, I assume, will require twice the storage of a stereo sample set.

B
B
Here is a record with my camera : https://www.dropbox.com/s/ykpss0w112a80la/N1X_%20001.MTS?dl=0

I clearly hear the resonance ; I play repeatedly the B key, where it begins. And it is so for an octave (roughly).

(It is digitalized at 48 kHz, so no problem with Shannon ;-) )

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
I don't hear anything unusual frown

And that's a pretty fast scale, what are we supposed to listen for (is it a resonance that affects every key played, or something you hear that sticks out whenever you hit the B)?

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I don't hear anything either.

[Linked Image]

Page 127 of 237 1 2 125 126 127 128 129 236 237

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission