2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
64 members (Charles Cohen, anotherscott, Carey, BlakeOR, Chapitrilfo, CaseyVancouver, 36251, AWilley, 19 invisible), 634 guests, and 601 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Congratulations Jethro,
I have played many Shigerus after they have been refined by the MPA and those already wonderful pianos play at another level. Kawai offers training for RPT on Shigeru Kawai, there are several technicians here in the USA who have been through the training. I will recommend you to contact Don Mannino at Kawai, he may have a list of the nearest technician in your area who has taken the training.

Regards,

San Mateo Piano
Kawai Piano Dealer San Francisco Bay Area
www.sanmateopiano.com
J
Jethro Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Kurtmen
Congratulations Jethro,
I have played many Shigerus after they have been refined by the MPA and those already wonderful pianos play at another level. Kawai offers training for RPT on Shigeru Kawai, there are several technicians here in the USA who have been through the training. I will recommend you to contact Don Mannino at Kawai, he may have a list of the nearest technician in your area who has taken the training.

Regards,

Thanks Kurtmen, sorry for the late reply. I wasn't aware of this Kawai training specific to the Shigeru Kawai, I think that is fantastic, but what are the chances of there being a technician in southwest Florida? I guess I have to contact Don Mannino, but I called Shigeru Kawai in CA when I purchased my piano and they gave me 3 names of technicians they used here but they did not specify that they were trained in that program.

Also Kurtmen, I visited your showroom in San Mateo, CA in December (Small world :)). My stepson lives there and over the holidays we stayed for about a week. I always worry that I would lose too much practice time so I always look for places that rent pianos. Most of the schools are closed around the holidays so that leaves dealer stores. Last year I went to a Yamaha dealer in Fresno that had practice rooms to rent. I happened to search for Shigeru dealer near my stepson this year and it just so happened that you had practice rooms available very close to where he lives. Thank you for letting me use your practice room. Your salesperson was very nice and accommodating as well.

Working on:
Preludio: Bach/Rachmaninoff E Major Sonata for Violin
O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Jethro
There are so many good technicians out there

Really? My experience is the opposite.

There are so many bad technicians out there on this planet that it's painful to listen to their tunings and I wouldn't let them anywhere near my piano with a voicing needle, let alone their secret sauce lacquer. I have had a 'concert technician' over to do an appraisal of my super old Steinway and he missed that the back checks were completely worn down and incompatible to the newer hammer tails, with the result that hammers got a tiny blow on striking the keys and were fundamentally unable to translate key attack speed to hammer speed. He also discarded to strike line, which was off by as much as 5mm, because "nobody can hear that anyway". And I have seen tuners at work with an ETD who simply were happy to tune a unison by listening to the fundamentals only.

No, I beg to differ, I truly believe that there are very, very few really technicians out there, but a lot of charlatans.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Ha, that’s a typical European point of view!🥴 Especially Vienna and many other metropolitan cities over there have an amazing array of highly trained people. These people are not trained in 2-3 week weekend courses but usually in YEARS of demanding factory apprenticeships and graduate Meisterschulen. Actually called “academy for piano makers” Which can be tough like nails. Yet even from there, not everybody is tops in all areas. Concert technicians are still a special breed among them. On the other hand we have also an amazing array of individuals here who have been able to reach the top of their trade. In fact, many are very innovative, self made perfectionists as they never had to follow specific corporate protocol. These are highly passionate and dedicated technicians who really stand out from the crowd. Incidentally, the same is true for bakers. There’s good ones around here but the best ones of Vienna, Paris, Munich, Brussels or Amsterdam are still a hard act to follow.....🥴😫😂

Norbert

Last edited by Norbert; 03/02/20 04:43 PM.

www.heritagepianos.com
Greater Vancouver B.C. piano dealers for : Estonia, Brodmann, Ritmuller
604-951-8642
J
Jethro Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by OE1FEU
There are so many good technicians out there

Really? My experience is the opposite.

There are so many bad technicians out there on this planet that it's painful to listen to their tunings and I wouldn't let them anywhere near my piano with a voicing needle, let alone their secret sauce lacquer. I have had a 'concert technician' over to do an appraisal of my super old Steinway and he missed that the back checks were completely worn down and incompatible to the newer hammer tails, with the result that hammers got a tiny blow on striking the keys and were fundamentally unable to translate key attack speed to hammer speed. He also discarded to strike line, which was off by as much as 5mm, because "nobody can hear that anyway". And I have seen tuners at work with an ETD who simply were happy to tune a unison by listening to the fundamentals only.

No, I beg to differ, I truly believe that there are very, very few really technicians out there, but a lot of charlatans.

Well, I was trying to be diplomatic. I have found that on these boards I could post what I think is the most innocuous of things and have it turn into WWIII. So I'm much more careful now how I post things and the topics I tend to comment on and you never know who may be reading. As for technicians, while I agree there may be a few bad apples out there, I would like to think at least in my country they are all pretty good. I had my own experience with "secret sauce" on my past piano, never again. He was able to voice the piano back to what I preferred but he explained to me his reasoning for doing it in the first place and he felt that my RX-2 can sing a little better like a "Steinway" if he treated the hammers a certain way. He didn't tell me what he was going to do until I saw him painting my hammers with this shelac. And before I could say "but, but but" he had already done a number of them and I figured, oh what the heck just finish them all. Funny guy I tried to contact him for a bi-yearly tuning a few years back and he wouldn't answer my call and I noticed his website was down. So I looked for him on google and saw a picture of his DUI arrest a couple of months earlier. Great....

Working on:
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
[...] He didn't tell me what he was going to do until I saw him painting my hammers with this shelac. And before I could say "but, but but" he had already done a number of them and I figured, oh what the heck just finish them all. Funny guy I tried to contact him for a bi-yearly tuning a few years back and he wouldn't answer my call and I noticed his website was down. So I looked for him on google and saw a picture of his DUI arrest a couple of months earlier. Great....

So, maybe it wasn't shellac he was using on your piano .... or maybe it was!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Seems he wasn't limiting his shellacking only to piano hammers.

Daily driver: Kawai MP11SE
First crush: Kawai GL10
Current fling: Petrof III
Foster child: 1927 Kurtzmann upright
J
Jethro Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
J
This gentleman seems to be very informed about the details of the Shigeru Kawai line and I really like his videos. He gives his top 10 interesting facts regarding the Shigeru and many of which I knew like the plaque that now bears my name in the Shigeru factory as well as the longer keysticks. I didn’t know the bridge is a Hamburg Steinway clone however nor that they build these pianos in batches. Anyways I thought it made such an interesting viewing that I post it here to show that what makes a Shigeru Kawai special extends well beyond the MPA visit. These guys are fanatic artisans.

Working on:
J
Jethro Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
J
I’m finding out more about my own piano after I bought it than before I purchased. I think if I ever visit Japan I would love to visit that factory. Quite interesting how they craft these pianos.

Working on:
j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Jethro- very interesting video. Thank you for sharing! Can we affectionately call you a Kawai fan boy now? Or were you already an ardent fan, which is why you chose your Shigeru in the first place? I’m very happy that you’re you have your dream piano. smile

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
My piano’s voice is beautiful!
[Linked Image]
J
Jethro Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by j&j
Jethro- very interesting video. Thank you for sharing! Can we affectionately call you a Kawai fan boy now? Or were you already an ardent fan, which is why you chose your Shigeru in the first place? I’m very happy that you’re you have your dream piano. smile

Ha, I've been a fanboy for too many years. grin I remember back in 2007 when I bought my RX-2 at that time I was under the belief that you had to spend at least $25,000 to get a quality piano and to get an "uber" quality hand made piano it was cost at least $75,000. Kawai has proven me wrong both times. I honestly never considered the brand until I asked questions here on Pianoworld. It was between Yamaha and Kawai at the time and I always seemed to get the best value with Kawai though of course you could not go wrong with either. I think we somewhat led to believe that Japanese products are just inexpensive quality products but boring, but some of their luxury items are just out of this world. These Shigerus are fine hand made pianos with the old world Japanese craftsmanship akin to the samurai sword, but they sold at prices that many can afford.

Working on:
J
Jethro Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
J

Working on:
J
Jethro Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
J
Sorry for the bad links, but just wanted to add if look at the corner of the room near the window seat you can see the bass traps I stacked in the corner. My wife and I think they are beautiful and unobtrusive for acoustical treatments.

https://i325.photobucket.com/albums...7B920BE-420E-40A8-AAB5-1B867502283D.jpeg

That's this product:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MKH9WH9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It made a great difference in controlling mid to upper frequencies in this cove:

https://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k383/andykallur/IMG_2108.jpg

Last edited by Jethro; 03/06/20 10:52 AM.

Working on:
j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Beautiful piano, beautiful home and yes the panels you bought blend in well. You are indeed fortunate! Yay!!!

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
My piano’s voice is beautiful!
[Linked Image]
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
As a fellow Shigeru Kawai owner I found that video very interesting. Thanks for posting it.

It’s never too late to be what you might have been. -George Eliot
Online Content
Those bass traps look great and are unobtrusive. Congrats on your setup.

J
Jethro Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by TBell
Those bass traps look great and are unobtrusive. Congrats on your setup.

Yes and they work! 4 of those for $169 straight from the Ukraine. How can you beat that? I didn't even mount them. They just stack up one on top of the other and they come in a lot of different colors. Lots of talk about room acoustics here. Room acoustics play a huge part in how our pianos will eventually sound in a room. These are great inexpensive acoustic panels and very well built.

Last edited by Jethro; 03/06/20 01:23 PM.

Working on:
J
Jethro Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by j&j
Beautiful piano, beautiful home and yes the panels you bought blend in well. You are indeed fortunate! Yay!!!

Thanks again!

Working on:
J
Jethro Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by John305
As a fellow Shigeru Kawai owner I found that video very interesting. Thanks for posting it.

You're welcome, and to think we both have our names on plaques somewhere in the Shigeru factory. I feel connected to the Shigeru builders. They must take great pride in their work.

Working on:
H
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
H
In case I missed, did you post a recording using C2s in A-B setup?

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
bouncing keys and hammers
by chopin_r_us - 05/08/21 02:41 PM
To change from Yamaha, Casio, Roland, Kawai, Korg etc...
by playplayplay - 05/08/21 02:16 PM
Pianists interviewing Pianists
by MrShed - 05/08/21 01:53 PM
Concerns about piano teacher
by Rokushji - 05/08/21 01:18 PM
Garritan CFX questions
by David Lai - 05/08/21 12:09 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,798
Posts3,091,223
Members101,453
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission