2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (bcalvanese, BillS728, APianistHasNoName, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, danno858, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 26 of 40 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 39 40
M
M
colour = British English; color = American English

G
G
Originally Posted by mwf
Thank you Kawai James for your very helpful responses, much appreciated. I'm pretty much set on buying a new kawai ca model this year in a few months time, definitely a polished ebony cabinet, most likely ca79 due to cost.

I've bought and owned about 7 or 8 different digital pianos in the last 20 years, Roland and yamaha models, never have I owned a kawai in my life and I'm an experienced pianist now at 40 years of age. I'm hesitant to buy a kawai because of this and how reliable they are, I'm. Hoping they are reliable and last without any issues such as clicking keys and wear and tear on action, worn rubber parts etc.. I've heard this online. Are Kawai actions generally as reliable as other manufacturers?

Hello, as this is my 4th Kawai in order CA93, CA95,CA97, CA98 and now CA99 PE on order (hehe I paid some guys salary @Kawai and I am really proud to be Kawai customer....no I am honoured) I can confirm, that aside of a few little things on the older Key version (they all got fixed free of charge) and had until today not the slightest issue with the keys of my CA97 and CA98.

Galuwen
(Sorry couldn't delete my first reply due to forum regulations *face turns red*)

Last edited by Galuwen; 02/22/20 01:26 AM.
K
K
Colour is the original and correct way not just to spell in English but also to say as in proper pronunciation - The American version Color is the result of a thing called 'Chinese whispers' where the blind lead the blind and before you know it, it has dumbed down. Not just the spelling but also the phonetics. lol

Also to consider in a similar but not exactly the same way is the reduction for clarity where the English say pavement and in the USA say ..... side .... walk just - to make sure they do not walk in the middle of the road.

Of course the post is a good example of English humour (as all this is) and must say that over many other forums where I and my friends from the USA are prevalent, we have so much fun and banter over the differences that have developed in so many ways over the centuries.

In answer to the issue over French - yes indeed we stole some of their vocabulary in the past in fact over 600 key words from Latin speakers infiltrated and simply added to the wonderful colour of English today. We also added our own to as in English we can say ... what are to doing. or going - in Latin these do not exist as they speak diffidently in sentence.
English has on average five distinctly different words for each description over one in french - but they use expression to convey verbally.

The Lords Prayer is a good example of older English in a version where just as in the French way .... Father forgive them for they know not what they do .... and in English modern we would most likely say .... Father forgive them as they do not know what they are doing ... - Doing and going does not exist in Latin language

Have a nice weekend - AND WHERE IS MY EBONY CA79! he he

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
AFAIK the original Latin word is 'colorem'. From that derived the Italian, French, Spanish and English versions:

Italian: colore
Spanish: color
French: coleur
English UK: colour
English USA: color

I don't think there is the "best" version. Each language developed in its ways for different reasons. I found an article on the differences between English UK and US: LINK.

To each his own, but the important thing is to understand each other! smile

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
The imagination behind the spelling of words prior to the printing press is quite something, spelling gradually became standardised after that and gradually we got dictionaries which furthered the process of conformity.

The same word could be spelt multiple ways in the same sentence. The idea that the American spelling is "dumbed down" is just odd I think.

I think it was me who started the whole colour thing in this thread for which I apologize for the then off topic direction this thread has gone.

Start of the use of the word colour

5000 Post Club Member
Online Crying
5000 Post Club Member
Why not just spell it kuller? grin

Last edited by johnstaf; 02/22/20 08:54 AM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
"It was me" or "It was I" ? smile
Originally Posted by KevinM
I think it was me who started the whole colour thing in this thread for which I apologize for the then off topic direction this thread has gone.

B
B
Originally Posted by magicpiano
AFAIK the original Latin word is 'colorem'. From that derived the Italian, French, Spanish and English versions:

Italian: colore
Spanish: color
French: coleur
English UK: colour
English USA: color

I don't think there is the "best" version. Each language developed in its ways for different reasons. I found an article on the differences between English UK and US: LINK.

To each his own, but the important thing is to understand each other! smile

French word is "couleur", but you also could use "teinte" that's not very different from "tint"

My pianos : Kawai ES8, Yamaha N1X
Headphone : Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 Ω
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BachToTheFuture

French word is "couleur"
Yes, sorry, accidentally I missed the the 'u' but now I cannot correct anymore my post... frown

A
A
Initial impressions after 2 full practise sessions on the CA79. I'm coming from a CA67 on which I clocked north of 2000 hours.

I've upgraded for the action mainly, and initially I agree with the "less spongy" / "faster repetitions" sentiment. Its an incremental change for sure, but after more hours playing the subtle changes add up, giving a more enjoyable playing experience. It's another step closer to the 'real thing', I'd be hard pressed to tell the GFIII apart from a well-regulated grand action in a blind test (on feel alone).

I hadn't tested the 'SK-EX Rendering' sound engine outside a demo room before. I have to say now that it's an clear improvement, sounding better than I remember it. On my headphones the sound is more detailed, less muddy and harsh. I'm assuming a combination of better samples, modelling and better electronics. The sound engine also responds very well to to the action, giving the player a great connection with the instrument.

With some VT tweaks (lighter touch curves, tad less resonance) I've started to notice subtle issues in my playing I've only noticed on my teachers grand before; hand balance, phrasing, articulations. This piano makes my playing sound WORSE than on the CA67, and that's about the highest praise I can give the CA79.

Feature wise, BT audio is big for me (no more noisy BT dongles in the line-input). Not ecstatic about the touch interface, but I can live with it. After boot all I need to do is select my saved sound, and after that I just interact with the metronome (with is pretty good).

So, less spongy, less forgiving, more pleasant sounding; an upgrade that's worth it.

Last edited by aph123; 02/23/20 09:58 AM.
K
K
Aph123
Thanks for the appraisal - it does help with my own decision making - keep them coming if you can smile

Andy

K
K
Aph123,

Would you mind If asked you to measure two things in your CA 79 with a tape measure?

What is the height of the bottom part of the keyboard in CA 79 (I mean height of the space where knee is suppose to go, from the floor to the bottom of the keyboard holding part of the piano cabinet)?

Please see the pic, for reference (black arrow on the pic) - picture.

Additionally could you please check the height of the keys (top surface) from the floor?

Thank you in advance. I am to upgrade my old ES 100 to the new piano and CA 79 look perfect on paper, but I unfortunately I have quite long legs. I have no way to check it in Poland for the moment in physical store, so maybe I could compare dimensions with my current setup.

Best regards,
Marcin

O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by aph123
This piano makes my playing sound WORSE than on the CA67, and that's about the highest praise I can give the CA79.

Well said!

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
R
R
Originally Posted by Kensei
Aph123,
Would you mind If asked you to measure two things in your CA 79 with a tape measure?

What is the height of the bottom part of the keyboard in CA 79 (I mean height of the space where knee is suppose to go, from the floor to the bottom of the keyboard holding part of the piano cabinet)?

Hi, I would like to ask the same thing for the CA-99 (long legs too here wink

OP Online Content
Hello chaps, I will try to find out for you.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
OP Online Content
PM sent.

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
C
C
Here's an unboxing of the CA99 with a little test. You can find an unboxing+assembly video of the CA79 in the same channel, both in satin black. I'm eager to watch the CA99 in polished ebony in a video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWuGTLsu_ig

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by cebeema
Here's an unboxing of the CA99 with a little test. You can find an unboxing+assembly video of the CA79 in the same channel, both in satin black. I'm eager to watch the CA99 in polished ebony in a video!

That's nice... You open the box and the piano is already assembled, plug in the power cable, switch on and you are ready to play! In my case (CN37) it took me about 3 hours to assemble it (without help) before I could play on it... crazy But it was fun! laugh

O
O
Hi, Does anyone know the width of the box where the CA79 comes in? I need to anticipate if it will make it through my house’s door or i will need to unbox on the street!

I am really worried about the delivery on street... it is going to be huge and heavy, and i do not think we can be two people on delivery moment... but i cannot leave it on the street (besides it will be probably raining...) 😫

Thanks!!!

Last edited by OldDog; 02/25/20 05:30 AM.
M
M
Originally Posted by OldDog
Hi, Does anyone know the width of the box where the CA79 comes in? I need to anticipate if it will make it through my house’s door or i will need to unbox on the street!

I can't imagine it's more than 1,50 .. 1.60 m. Mine should arrive next week, I'll be able to tell you for sure then.

EDIT: should have read more carefully... You asked for width, not length. No idea...

Originally Posted by OldDog
I am really worried about the delivery on street... it is going to be huge and heavy, and i do not think we can be two people on delivery moment... but i cannot leave it on the street (besides it will be probably raining...) 😫

If you ask nicely (and give a tip), I am sure they will help you get it inside.

Last edited by Martinez; 02/25/20 05:57 AM.
Page 26 of 40 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 39 40

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission