2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
79 members (antune, anotherscott, A. Lucato, adamcz, Alex Hutor, Alfred La Fleur, accordeur, 15 invisible), 1,041 guests, and 496 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
harpon Offline OP
OP Offline
Just replaced a Casio wk-1200 I bought back in the mid-90's and lost in a flood in '08. 73 keys-it was the first nearly full sized keyboard with full size keys I bought after starting on a couple of mini-key units- a Casio 500 and a Yamaha PS 487 back in the mid-80's. I was so thrilled taking it home from the Guitar Center in Hollywood.

After the flood I bought a WK-200, which was a newer improved version- 76 keys and more recording capabilities, and about 5 years ago a Casio WK-6600. I'd bought and re-sold a used Privia in between.

Anyway- I saw this on Marketplace on facebook- in Gainesville 70 miles away- cheap- they'd take $40 although the middle C and D weren't working. Turned out the B was playing strangely loud and the A was on and off- didn't mess with it much- but before going for it I'd watched a couple of vids on youtube about cleaning under the keys- the contact circuit boards there and figured that was likely the problem and I could do that.

So I got it Sunday and noticed there were panels right under that are to be removed- it was rather easy actually- I cleaned the contact circuits with paper towels damp with window cleaner and the rubber contact protrusions under the keys on the other side. After a brief anxious moment after putting them back on- and not getting sound from ANY key- I noticed I failed to reinsert the cicuits under a ridge and had layed them on top- a 2 or 3mm difference and not making contact.

After that was corrected- the keyboard came to life in it's entirety. So I've messed around on it since and even discovered a crude synth function I didn't realize it had- the wk6600 has much more tone editing now

But it's like an old friend back again and yet anther item- probably the last I was able to finally replace after losing almost everthing in that flood..

There's lots of videos with the old wk-1200 on youtube if you care to see it. Seems much heavier now than it did back when- Guess I'm just getting old. And wish I had more room to set it up!

Last edited by harpon; 02/11/20 10:21 PM.
J
J
Great job. It feels good to fix something yourself.

Jack
harpon Offline OP
OP Offline
Yeah! Well I guess my point is DON'T PANIC- and don't just throw something out- a keyboard especially when it's just the keys not making contact. (I failed to mention I also found a couple of dried up crushed ladybugs inside under the keys) You might even pick something up cheap or a trash find that can still be made functional. After all, this unit is about 25 years old, and still going strong otherwise. Gee I wish I could just insert a picture or two here.

The progression of the Casio boards is interesting- this WK-1200 was the first I think to use this kind of platform, with a lot of voices and drum kit sounds, and it records 5 tracks but only stores one song at a time. By the time I bought the WK- 200 in '08, that was up to 5 songs of storage. The voices had changed in selection but still about the same quality.

I bought the WK-6600 5 or 6 years back because they had by then upped the quality of the sounds, and added the synth editing functions at a greater level. I see they still sell that same model, but they also now have a WK7600 that stores even more user edited sounds.

Anyway- they aren't a weighted board, but decent sounds and 76 keys for relatively low costs- so besides my Baldwin Hamilton Studio Upright, they are good boards to practice and get creative on.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai upright shortage in Canada?
by DeeZee - 09/19/21 05:55 PM
Korg SV-1 Sustain Pedal problem
by Herwiberde - 09/19/21 02:46 PM
JoJo Siwa's Baldwin grand
by ShiroKuro - 09/19/21 01:50 PM
Opinions on the CA49 for classical piano music only ?
by GaiaImpact - 09/19/21 01:16 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,190
Posts3,133,566
Members102,770
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission