2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, CharlesXX, 10 invisible), 1,657 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 16 of 40 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 39 40
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
Originally Posted by tristan34849
and what are the differences between GF COMPACT and GF III beside length???

Advantages of GFIII over GFC:
- Longer keys, longer key pivot
- Ebony Touch key surfaces
- 88-key graded counterweights
- Firmer hammer cushion material
- Improved let-off feeling

I expect there may be more, but these are the main points that come to mind.

Originally Posted by tristan34849
P.S. on the photo GF compact uses white plastic and GF III black plastic. is that just colour or there are some differences in the material etc??

I'm afraid I don't know.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
S
S
Originally Posted by Erik54
Is it possible to express your mood and feelings into these new digital Kawai’s?

Don't worry, you can do that even on a Yamaha p45. It's fun to see the contrast between this forum and r/piano. People here delve really deep into technical details which is cool, but dont let it confuse you: you can express yourself no problem on a €3000 instrument if you yourself have the skills.

Last edited by sleutelbos; 02/07/20 05:31 AM.
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Erik54
@Nordomus, I was asking myself the same, lol. Yesterday I again went into a piano store . This one only sold Yamaha DP’s and acqoustic piano’s (Yamaha, Petrof, Schimmel and some more different brands) too bad no Kawai’s here. Of all the yamaha’s the CLP 685 felt and sounder (to me) most close to all acqoustics. I am soooooo interested in user reviews of the new Kawai CA 79 and CA 99. How “realistic” do they play and sound (not using headphones), compared to acqoustic. Is it possible to express your mood and feelings into these new digital Kawai’s?

Try CA98 if you can. While CLP 685 sounds very good soundboard in Kawai pianos sounds amazing and it has good keyboard and sound engine so of course you can express yourself with that smile

Roland LX708
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sleutelbos
[...]you can express yourself no problem on a €3000 instrument if you yourself have the skills.
If you have the skills you can express yourself even on a €500-600 instrument.

However I would not go lower than that, because then IMHO they begin to sound like toys...

S
S
Originally Posted by magicpiano

However I would not go lower than that, because then IMHO they begin to sound like toys...

Sure, that is why I said a P45 would work as well. smile

T
T
Originally Posted by magicpiano

Sure, that is why I said a P45 would work as well. smile

I remember buying the Yamaha P105 many years ago. This video convinced me then that the piano is amazing, I still come back to it after all these years for a casual listening experience.

After all these years, I still think that this recording is amazing. You can safely assume that when my piano was delivered home, me playing it didn't have the same effect! eek Bottom line: any piano can sound and feel right with the right person playing it! The harsh reality may be that amateur pianists ( myself included ) tend to compensate lack of technique with pricier instruments ! laugh

Last edited by tudor33sud; 02/07/20 08:50 AM.

www.youtube.com/channel/UC073i6RnxK4NcnoFp1jYh7Q The place where I ocasionally post my amateur recordings smile
Criticism is welcomed since it helps improving and going forward!

Yamaha P-105 -> Roland HP-605 -> Roland LX708
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by tudor33sud

I remember buying the Yamaha P105 many years ago. This video convinced me then that the piano is amazing, I still come back to it after all these years for a casual listening experience ... After all these years, I still think that this recording is amazing. You can safely assume that when my piano was delivered home, me playing it didn't have the same effect! eek Bottom line: any piano can sound and feel right with the right person playing it! The harsh reality may be that amateur pianists ( myself included ) tend to compensate lack of technique with pricier instruments ! laugh

I think about this video and my Casio CDP!

Enthusiastic but mediocre amateur.
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by tudor33sud

After all these years, I still think that this recording is amazing. You can safely assume that when my piano was delivered home, me playing it didn't have the same effect! eek Bottom line: any piano can sound and feel right with the right person playing it! The harsh reality may be that amateur pianists ( myself included ) tend to compensate lack of technique with pricier instruments ! laugh

This is so me. There is no hiding your lack of technique with one of these cheaper instruments, mostly I can't hide my lack of technique at all, but better and pricier instruments do help to make the sound a little more pleasant to listen to especially for us lowly skilled ones.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
We've been through this already. An Italian pianist was featured in a similar Casio video where she struggled playing a Liszt piece and I went as far as pinpoint to a PW member which particular notes were wrong. She was apparently not in control of the piano and at the same time she is a famous pianist. So, when a piano is difficult to control by a master or even when it sounds OK like in this last video, it doesn't mean the instrument is good. Maybe the guy is at his limits to deliver something that sounds OK to us but would be much better on an acoustic piano.

And BTW, I don't get the argument at all. A virtuoso can be playing on a haircomb (you know, with thin paper, blowing through it) and be able to move peoples' hearts but that doesn't mean I should not buy a good piano.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
S
S
Originally Posted by CyberGene

And BTW, I don't get the argument at all. A virtuoso can be playing on a haircomb (you know, with thin paper, blowing through it) and be able to move peoples' hearts but that doesn't mean I should not buy a good piano.

It absolutely means we should stop scaring potential new players with stories that are completely irrelevant for beginners. When a beginner reads what we posts and concludes that a €3000 instrument may be 'bad' and not allow expression of emotion something is very much wrong.

Have you stopped to consider that what some folks here consider a decent piano is completely unobtainable for many prospective starters? And that spreading this talk about 'digital actions are bad be size of escapement' and so on encourages people to not bother at all if they can't afford these massively expensive luxury objects that people here apparently casually buy?

To me, that absolutely is a problem.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member

It absolutely means we should stop scaring potential new players with stories that are completely irrelevant for beginners. When a beginner reads what we posts and concludes that a €3000 instrument may be 'bad' and not allow expression of emotion something is very much wrong.

Have you stopped to consider that what some folks here consider a decent piano is completely unobtainable for many prospective starters? And that spreading this talk about 'digital actions are bad be size of escapement' and so on encourages people to not bother at all if they can't afford these massively expensive luxury objects that people here apparently casually buy?

To me, that absolutely is a problem.

So, you think I should express my opinion with a consideration how not to hurt the feelings of people who can’t afford an instrument I think is better and I should take care for beginners not to be scared? Is this some new “social awareness” policy recommendation on PW I’ve missed?’

Last edited by CyberGene; 02/07/20 11:47 AM.

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Did you miss the “Social Awareness’ memo?
I can fax it to you (for a nominal fee). wink

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D

So, you think I should express my opinion with a consideration how not to hurt the feelings of people who can’t afford an instrument I think is better and I should take care for beginners not to be scared? Is this some new “social awareness” policy recommendation on PW I’ve missed?’

It's one thing to express an opinion. It's another to plague the forum with the same personal propaganda wherever there's a space to insert it.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
BTW, since there are people who often report me on every little occasion of offtopic, let me clarify I was responding to the Casio video and the argument about how even a cheap piano can sound great in good hands. I don’t see how this has anything to do with CA79/99 pianos since they are very fine instruments and are not cheap. I haven’t commented in this thread anything about escapement and how CA pianos are “bad”. It was implied by another member who brought some quotes from another thread.

I think the new CA-series will be great pianos for even advanced pianist and I welcome every little addition and upgrade that have been mentioned. I’m done with the other (collateral) discussions.

P.S. dire_tonic, if you believe my “propaganda” is against the forum rules, feel free to report me.

Last edited by CyberGene; 02/07/20 12:05 PM.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Honestly, I'd find it self-demeaning to report anyone in PW.

How about just rowing back on the elitism a trifle? At the end of the day, none of us here are anything special.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dire tonic
Honestly, I'd find it self-demeaning to report anyone in PW.

How about just rowing back on the elitism a trifle? At the end of the day, none of us here are anything special.

I’ve created one thread to discuss my analysis of piano actions and advantages of escapement in particular. I didn’t create it to show off, nor to demonstrate an elitism but to show my discovery and theory. It was a simple realization I made by observing an old grand piano keyboard action. I DID NOT bring that topic here in the CA99 thread, another member did. I also don’t believe what I do is “personal propaganda” and “plaguing” every possible thread. It’s an exaggeration.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
It’s an exaggeration.

Well, mindful of your thread explaining why digital actions are bad, I'm sure you'll appreciate the irony.

I think it would be helpful if you could modify the title of that thread.

S
S

I think it is generally a good idea to communicate in such a way people are not needlessly confused. It is easy to see why someone would read your detailed mini-essay on the mechanical workings of a piano, conclude you are an expert, note you titled it '[...] why digital actions are bad' and believe that to you, a clear expert, all digital actions are bad and as such not suitable instruments (never mind for an advanced pianist). I know that isn't your opinion, and I know you don't intend to scare people away from starting to play piano. I get that it is difficult to communicate without ever causing confusion when we are all from different countries. But we can prevent the more egregious misunderstandings and it wouldn't hurt if we'd all strive towards that. smile To be clear: I have nothing against you or your opinions (which I find very insightful!).

So as pretty much everyone in this topic agrees, including you and I: Erik has no reason to worry about being able to learn to play and express himself on a high-end digital, and has no reason to worry about injuring himself due to the action not being acoustic. smile

Last edited by sleutelbos; 02/07/20 12:43 PM.
Much ado about nothing.

T
T
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Much ado about nothing.

+1 whole heartedly.

Recorder Player/Singer
Back to playing piano
Page 16 of 40 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 39 40

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission