2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (busa, clothearednincompo, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, benkeys, Burkhard, 5 invisible), 1,131 guests, and 256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Moz-art Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi. I’m new to the forum:

I'm thinking of getting a secondary keyboard in a few months, and even after reading the FAQ I'm pretty lost, so I ask you for some advice. Relevant information:

1. Level of playing: I can play the sinfonia of Bach's partita #2 and I've just started Beethoven 'Tempest' 3rd movement. I can play some of the Chopin Preludes, Mozart sonatas, some Rachmaninoff preludes. I've been playing as an amateur since childhood, and have attended private lessons for many years.

2. What do I currently use: I play on a Yamaha Clavinova CLP-575, after many years of using a CLP-930. I also have the chance of playing from time to time on a Yamaha grand piano.

3. Why do I want a keyboard: I spend a month on holiday outside home (and many other spring and summer weekends), at a secondary residence, where I just have a 30 year-old 48-key Casio keyboard with no key sensitivity and no sustain pedal.

4. What do I want: I want a non-bulky keyboard that lets me practice the pieces I'm working on while on holiday. The space where I want to put it is not very big. I want it to have key-sensitivity and at least a sustain pedal (it could be great if i could have 2 or 3 pedals). I want it to have 5 or 6 octaves. I want it to have some weight on the keys (nothing spectacular, but something that remotely resembles a piano). And of course I want it to have headphone compatibility (although I imagine every single keyboard has it).

5. What I don't want/need: I don't want flashy screens and don't need MIDI compatibility, a hundred different sound samples, rythms to play over or "colourful" keys. If it has some of these features, they can be welcome, but they're secondary (or tertiary).

6. Budget: Around € 500 max. If it can be a little less, better, since this keyboard will have an intensive use for a month and some weekends, but it will rest unused for the rest of the year.

Thank you very much.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
For your budget, you are looking at the lowest tier of entry-level digital pianos. (Digital pianos have fully-weighted, hammer-action keys, unlike portable keyboards.) Here are some entry-level digital pianos from absolute cheapest (and definitely worst) to more expensive. I favor the FP10 since I had an FP30 (3rd) which has the same keyboard action as the FP10 and it was probably one of the best among these entry level digital pianos. I got my daughter a P-45 (2nd) which is acceptable - didn't know if she would have an interest.

To stretch your budget further, if I were in your shoes, I'd consider the used market. For example, Amazon.de has some great deals for fully-weighted, hammer-action keyboards that are used.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Casio CDP-S100, around 340 euro, M-Audio SP2 sustain pedal , around 15 euro, and a double braced X-stand (between 20 and 60 euro, depending on the brand...

Last edited by ChrisGoesPiano; 02/05/20 11:28 AM.

A long time ago, in a musical galaxy far, far away...
Eminent-Solina B412, Yamaha DX21, Yamaha V50, Yamaha U1

21st century...
Kawai CA58, Korg Liano, Arturia Minilab 3, Arturia Minilab MkII, Arturia Minifreak
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Not sure of Euro pricing, but a Yamaha P45 is probably close to your budget, the P125 a bit more. It's not clear if you need a stand, but both come with sustain pedal. Neither has auxilliary pedal input.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Or ... rent a really good piano for the short time you need it. Is that possible in your location?

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
All the boards mentioned so far are 88 keys, and you asked for something smaller. So the actual answer is probably Yamaha P-121.

Moz-art Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you for answering.

Yes, I'd need a stand for it! Since I own a Clavinova at my main location and I will only use the "secondary keyboard" for a month + some weekends, I wasn't thinking on spending too much on it. But I want something that is not bland either, so I could expand my budget a little bit if it's worth it. Would you practice some Bach/Beethoven on those keyboards? What are some more expensive options under €1,000?

I've searched a bit on the used online market in my country, and I'm not convinced at all. There are not many keyboards listed, and all of them are almost at retail price, except for one that has broken keys. I'll continue scouting a bit, but being that situation, I prefer to get a new one for a €50-75 difference.

The idea of renting a piano is great, but not feasible. The holiday place I'm talking about is a town with barely 1,000 people living there. The next relevant city is an hour away.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Moz-art
I've searched a bit on the used online market in my country, and I'm not convinced at all. There are not many keyboards listed, and all of them are almost at retail price, except for one that has broken keys. I'll continue scouting a bit, but being that situation, I prefer to get a new one for a €50-75 difference.

As I mentioned above, check on Amazon.de over here. There is a lightly-used Casio PX-160 listing for €276.60 including the shipping cost. The PX-160 is a fully-weighted, hammer-action keyboard with 88 keys. You would need to buy a stand and the pedal separately, but even with those two things, it would come in way under your budget.

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Hey TS. Maybe you should sell him your old FP slab. You don't use it anymore, right?

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Hey TS. Maybe you should sell him your old FP slab. You don't use it anymore, right?

Unfortunately already sold my FP30 on Craigslist back in August for about $500 with the stand, no shipping. Buyer just picked it up.

I say unfortunately because then later, I started a renovation and needed a practice piano and had to buy an P45/P71 which I gave to my daughter and borrow back when I need a portable. With foresight, I would have preferred to keep the FP30 for that purpose. The FP30 is also better than the P45 for my daughter to learn piano on. Alas. Hindsight is 20/20.

[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I wouldn't want anything less than a Yamaha P125 / Kawai ES110 / Roland FP30 / Casio PX-S1000 to practice classical music on a DP if you are on a low budget (or you require a light keyboard easy to move).

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Moz-art
What are some more expensive options under €1,000?

Again, with your criteria of "I want it to have 5 or 6 octaves," I think your only choice remains the Yamaha P-121, at least if you want something self-contained (built-in sounds, built-in speakers).

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Personally, I'd get an FP-10 before I got a P45. Thomann has a bundle with stand for 489€

https://www.thomann.de/de/roland_fp_10_stand_bundle.htm?ref=intl&shp=eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiZGUiLCJjdXJyZW5jeSI6IjIiLCJsYW5ndWFnZSI6ImRlIn0%3D

I played the FP-10 in Tokyo last year and was pleasantly surprised, and there are areas I preferred it to my Kawai ES-110. I've not had a chance to try the new Casio's yet, so no opinion there, but for my money, the FP-10 is the best I've played under 500€, and I thought was, in some regards, better than some of the over 500€ bunch.

Edit: I read "I want it to have 5 or 6 octaves. I want it to have some weight on the keys" as "at least 5 or 6", if you really can't fit a full 88 keys, what about the Roland go:Piano? https://www.thomann.de/de/roland_go_piano.htm

I have one at home, and it's actually not that terrible to play. It's a spring action, not a hammer action, so it's not the best for working on your dynamics, but I find it very playable as a travel piano. The springs are weighted enough that it gives enough resistance to not feel to organ or synth like, and enough to feel "sort of" like a piano.

Last edited by Chrispy; 02/05/20 04:47 PM.

Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
C
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
C
Korg also made a 73 key version of the LP-380, but it's already discontinued so it would have to be a used one.

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by magicpiano
I wouldn't want anything less than a Yamaha P125 / Kawai ES110 / Roland FP30 / Casio PX-S1000 to practice classical music on a DP if you are on a low budget (or you require a light keyboard easy to move).

Two considerations (I like that list) --

a) You're not gigging, or doing street busking --
. . . you can manage the weight and size of 88 weighted keys;

b) If you ever want to sell it, the market for an 88-key DP is larger than the market for a P-121.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
I have Yamaha P-121 for very similar needs as yours. I wanted 73 key version - so it is easier to travel with. If you are just going to leave it at the vacation home, Yamaha P-125 is another option.

Other similar options are Kawai ES110, Roland FP30 or Casio PX-S1000. If you have space for 88 key keyboard - I would highly recommend Roland FP30 - very good (if not the best) action in this price range IMHO.

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
G
giu Offline
G
My main DP is a Kawai MP11. I have just bought a Roland FP10 to practice scales in my lunch break at my office. The action is quite similar to that of the MP11. The internal sound is just OK, but as a MIDi piano controller it is hard to beat for the price.

Before buying it I also tried the Casio Px s-1000 whose action was OK but not as good (and whose MIDI implementation does not transmit note-off velocity). I also tried the Roland FP30, whose action is also nice in its way. It feels like a nice analogue piano with heavy action. Comparable to the Kawai VPC1 but somewhat heavier. Too heavy for me to play trills and fast runs. The FP feels perfect in that respect.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
The FP10 and FP30 have the exact same keyboard action.

[Linked Image]

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

It is possible that there are small changes though, especially with a new model, revisions wouldn't be out of the question. These could even affect new FP-30's, but there is probably a lot of "pre FP-10" inventory out there still. I'd be curious to try them side by side and see if there's any difference. Of course, I have no idea if I'd be playing a "new" or "old" FP-30!

Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
G
giu Offline
G
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

I am sure the technology is the same as per Roland specs. In reality, though, even the key material is not the same, being a bit more plasticky on the FP-10 and having a more yellowish/ivory tint on the FP-30. I compared the two back and forth for half an hour. I really wanted to buy the FP-30 for its more powerful output stage and, having read all relevant posts on this forum, I was expecting the action to feel the same on both. In fact, it felt significantly different. I discussed it with the shop owner who totally agreed that the action felt differently and stated that a number of buyers said the action on the FP-30 was closer to that of an acoustic piano. The dealer is the main Roland dealer in London, so I doubt the FP-30 would be old stock.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission