2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
38 members (crazyRyoga, CyberGene, anotherscott, bilb, claburo, Frédéric L, Hakki, 7 invisible), 947 guests, and 439 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 40 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 39 40
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Well whuzzup hybrid fans. It seems that Kawai wants to call the CA99 a hybrid:
https://kawaius.com/product/ca99/
A new contemporary cabinet design, along with an updated LCD touchscreen and authentic new piano sounds contribute to why the CA99 is a stand-out among hybrid digital pianos.

So now "hybrid" means nothing at all. Or it means anything at all. Like "organic" foods.

Or ... perhaps that's just a weasel-worded statement. As in: The CA99 is NOT a hybrid, but it "stands out" (whatever that means) among the hybrids.

Take your pick.

N
N
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
More isn't better. It's enough to have 127 velocity levels. Can your ears hear more than that? Nope.

How about the pedal? Mine has six levels. MIDI allows 127, but six is enough. Many VSTs won't even support six, let along 127. And never mind billions.

McDonald's has sold billions of hamburgers. But I've eaten only a few.

More is not necessarily better. Don't be blinded by the numbers.

It's more about letting the digital feel more analog. A acoustic piano has no stepped dynamic, like in digital. It's continous, which makes it so great!
You never run out of expression.

I have really difficulty doing ppp to fff on digitals!

Last edited by nicknameTaken; 02/05/20 11:37 AM.
S
S
Well whuzzup hybrid fans. It seems that Kawai wants to call the CA99 a hybrid:
https://kawaius.com/product/ca99/
A new contemporary cabinet design, along with an updated LCD touchscreen and authentic new piano sounds contribute to why the CA99 is a stand-out among hybrid digital pianos.

So now "hybrid" means nothing at all. Or it means anything at all. Like "organic" foods.

Or ... perhaps that's just a weasel-worded statement. As in: The CA99 is NOT a hybrid, but it "stands out" (whatever that means) among the hybrids.

Take your pick.

They have been doing that with earlier models as well. Kawai seems to define hybrid not based on action but on whether there is a soundboard speaker. So the CA79 is not a hybrid, but not due to the action but due to the missing soundboard speaker, and the NV10 is a hybrid but again for different reasons than one might expect.

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Hybrid digital pianos are AvantGrand and Novus. The term was first used by Yamaha for their GranTouch pianos (predecessors to AG) and whether it's semantically correct or not, it means a digital piano with an action borrowed from an acoustic piano.

Why Casio and Kawai want to market some of their pianos as hybrid when the action is not one borrowed from an acoustic grand (or having the same principle with escapement, etc.) is another story.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
S
S
Originally Posted by nicknameTaken
More isn't better. It's enough to have 127 velocity levels. Can your ears hear more than that? Nope.

How about the pedal? Mine has six levels. MIDI allows 127, but six is enough. Many VSTs won't even support six, let along 127. And never mind billions.

It's more about letting the digital feel more analog. A acoustic piano has no stepped dynamic, like in digital. It's continous, which makes it so great!

I am 100% convinced that you cannot do a run of 127 notes with each note having a velocity of +1 compared to the previous note. In other words, your 'natural variance' is higher than the smallest step MIDI 1.1 provides. As such a higher velocity resolution won't change much.

N
N
Originally Posted by sleutelbos

I am 100% convinced that you cannot do a run of 127 notes with each note having a velocity of +1 compared to the previous note. In other words, your 'natural variance' is higher than the smallest step MIDI 1.1 provides. As such a higher velocity resolution won't change much.

The problem is that you can't play ppp and then switch to fff.
Why is that? Because the resolution/sensors is not fine enough to get nuances between them.
I'm NOT arguing about playing exact 127 'notes', but being able to play ppp and fff and anything between.

Many digitals have the problem, that you can't reach the whole spectrum AT ALL. Not even at will.
You can change the key touch, but this messes with the timbre, and you will have a problem playing ppp then, if you adjust the key touch to be able to play fff!

Last edited by nicknameTaken; 02/05/20 11:48 AM.
N
N
Look at this: http://www.piano-e-competition.com/midi_2011.asp

It's known for long time now, that the advanced Yamaha XP MIDI is capable of doing way better.
In less than a minute, from 1 to 127, every variation can be hit!
Specifically, http://www.piano-e-competition.com/MIDIFiles/2011/Chon08.MID great midi variation even at old standards

Last edited by nicknameTaken; 02/05/20 11:52 AM.
S
S

Why is that? Because the resolution/sensors is not fine enough to get nuances between them.
I'm NOT arguing about playing exact 127 'notes', but being able to play ppp and fff and anything between.

Many digitals have the problem, that you can't reach the whole spectrum AT ALL. Not even at will.
You can change the key touch, but this messes with the timbre, and you will have a problem playing ppp then, if you adjust the key touch to be able to play fff!

But that has nothing to do with the MIDI standard. If a digital piano already cannot output the full MIDI range of 1-127, then increase the resolution of the MIDI standard won't change a thing.

N
N
What is the problem, why can't we have this variation / dynamic in any digital piano?

'These performances are best enjoyed when reproduced by a Disklavier PRO using MIDI files that were recorded with the high resolution XP data. However, these performances are also offered in Standard MIDI File format for playback on non-PRO Disklavier pianos and other high quality digital instruments as well as in the legacy E-SEQ format for playback on early model Disklaviers.
'

N
N

But that has nothing to do with the MIDI standard. If a digital piano already cannot output the full MIDI range of 1-127, then increase the resolution of the MIDI standard won't change a thing.

Yea, but I can't get this variation as posted in any digital piano I have tested so far... Why can this Yamaha Disklavier do it and others can't?

Last edited by nicknameTaken; 02/05/20 12:09 PM.
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member

Although I'm not a proponent of higher resolutions than 127 and agree the classic MIDI is enough, I'm more than certain the internal engines of all digital pianos measure duration between sensor activations and calculate velocity in a very high internal precision, probably used internally by the sound engine too. It's only when they need to send MIDI that they truncate it to a 7-bit value.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
S
S
Yea, but I can't get this variation as posted in any digital piano I have tested so far... Why can this Yamaha Disklavier do it and others can't?

I just checked on my trusty old P140:

[Linked Image]

This is with 'normal touch setting'. There can be all sorts of reasons why another DP may not be able to do this, but again, that is not because of the MIDI standard itself. A higher resolution would allow you to play steps between the min-max, it doesn't change the min-max itself.

Exactly. It has nothing to do with MIDI.
It's known for long time now, that the advanced Yamaha XP MIDI is capable of doing way better.
But every variation cannot be heard. So what's the point?

127 levels over a range of, say, 50 dB is around 0.4 dB per level.
The ear can barely distinguish 1 dB, though some people claim the abilty to hear 1/2 dB.
So 127 is quite enough.

If you can't hear the difference then there is no difference. Don't be fooled by big numbers and flashy claims.

MIDI 2 has a place in the production studio. But for the performer it offers nothing.

S
S
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Although I'm not a proponent of higher resolutions than 127 and agree the classic MIDI is enough, I'm more than certain the internal engines of all digital pianos measure duration between sensor activations and calculate velocity in a very high internal precision, probably used internally by the sound engine too. It's only when they need to send MIDI that they truncate it to a 7-bit value.

Sure, but that isn't related to nicknameTaken's issue of DPs not being able to hit both min and max values with the same touch setting. Increased resolution merely increases the steps in between these two values.

N
N

The ear can barely distinguish 1 dB, though some people claim the abilty to hear 1/2 dB.
So 127 is quite enough.

If you can't hear the difference then there is no difference. Don't be fooled by big numbers and flashy claims.

MIDI 2 has a place in the production studio. But for the performer it offers nothing.

Change of midi level changes timbre.
What if I want to knowingly want to play in the muffled timbre ( ppp), and then in the really bright timbre (fff) ? Depending on the piano...

On my digital, I could only hold a midi level of 95 in average, there is a lot missing imo.

Last edited by nicknameTaken; 02/05/20 12:19 PM.
Simple ... just press gently and you get ppp. Press forcefully and you get fff.
What if I want to knowingly want to play in the muffled timbre ( ppp), and then in the really bright timbre (fff) ? Depending on the piano...
If your piano cannot oblige it's the fault of the piano. MIDI has nothing at all to do with that.

S
S
On my digital, I could only hold a midi level of 95 in average, there is a lot missing imo.

If your digital piano cannot output the full range, get a better digital piano. It isn't the fault of MIDI

N
N
Simple ... just press gently and you get ppp. Press forcefully and you get fff.
If your piano cannot oblige it's the fault of the piano. MIDI has nothing at all to do with that.

I see. Then the RD-2000 can't do that. It wasn't as big as an issue on the hybrids I checked on so far, but none of them could reach close to the max value of midi.
The Yamaha CLP 695 for instance had a bump at around 105 to 127, instead of being able to hit inbetween.
The Kawai CA78 did not hit higher than 112.

S
S

So 127 is quite enough.

To expand on that: here is a recording of four notes, with velocity ranging between 70-73. Anyone wants to guess which note has which velocity? Anyone here thinks we really need a few dozen or hundred more steps in between these values?

https://sndup.net/7xmc/test+velocity.wav

N
N

So 127 is quite enough.

To expand on that: here is a recording of four notes, with velocity ranging between 70-73. Anyone wants to guess which note has which velocity? Anyone here thinks we really need a few dozen or hundred more steps in between these values?

https://sndup.net/7xmc/test+velocity.wav

Don't draw it into the ridiculous!

I don't speak about a variation of 3!

I speak about 100 to 127 for instance.

Or 1 to 30.

Page 13 of 40 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 39 40

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Lessons : Your place or mine ?
by Vikendios - 06/22/21 06:18 AM
This is the most beautiful controller
by Dallon426 - 06/22/21 04:21 AM
Kawai MP 6 editor - librarian software? Service Manual?
by tedsorvino1 - 06/22/21 02:22 AM
Keith Jarrett's Forward "The Piano Book"
by Xam - 06/21/21 11:06 PM
Is this legal?
by Dore - 06/21/21 10:46 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,642
Posts3,106,100
Members101,876
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission