2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, 12 invisible), 1,877 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2937739 01/23/20 07:46 PM
R
OP Offline
R
Hi all,

Newbie to the forum here. Hopefully I am posting in the right area...

I have just purchased my first REAL piano (synths and MIDI controllers before this) and would like to do some refurbishment and overall maintenance on it. It's a Yamaha CFIII built in 1984... it's quite a monster! smile
May I ask a few initial questions to you experts please?

1. My understanding is that the polished ebony finish is polyester. Is that correct and if so, any idea how thick that coating is? I've seen a couple of videos about fine sanding and polishing polyester... which I'd love to try (currently lots of tiny swirl scratches on it), but I am scared to death of going through to the wood.

2. The sharps appear to be ebony. For some weird reason, a few of the bass sharps are heavily worn, almost like some small animal was chewing on them! I would like to replace them with the same wood and overall re-stain all the sharps to a uniform blackness. So my questions are: how tough is it to replace the sharp keytops and once done, what should I use to re-stain all the sharps? I did read that india ink is a good choice, but wanted to get your opinions.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Rich.

J
6000 Post Club Member
Online Blank
6000 Post Club Member
J
Hi Rich and welcome to the forum.

Are you a technician? I would only tackle a piano like this if I really knew what I was doing but more power to your elbow....

I guess you could start by contacting Yamaha and asking what parts are available for this piano. I don't know if the new sharps fit the old keyboard, but you could probably have a whole new keyboard and action stack fitted by Yamaha if the piano required it. I was always under the impression that sharp keys were pre-stained when you bought them.

I know that the Yamaha piano keyboard of today is slightly different to the one of the 1980s but I don't know if it's just the chamfer on the sharps that has changed or if there's more to it.

Congratulations on your new piano, I hope you'll be very happy together.

YAMAHA Artist
R
OP Offline
R
Hi Joe,

Thanks for the quick response!

Hah I am definitely not a technician, although I have done some work refurbishing vehicle finishes. I am OK with trying refurbishment techniques and learning... as long as I know all the parameters.

Good idea, I will get in contact with Yamaha... I'd kind of assumed that due to the age of the piano they would be unlikely to stock anything but it's definitely worth a try! Not sure I'd want to fork out for a whole new action... wife might be on the war path.

Thanks again!

J
6000 Post Club Member
Online Blank
6000 Post Club Member
J
Yeah and if you did buy a whole new action you would need an experienced technician to fit it. It's never just a case of slotting the new parts in.

You might be able to get a new set of black key tops though.

YAMAHA Artist
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
You might even be able to fill the damaged sharps in with CA.

The finish is almost certainly thick enough to flat sand with wet fine paper going through the grits up to 1200 and then polishing with a power buffer. You will need to disassemble the case parts which will also mean cleaning up the brasswork. Maybe replace brass screws and certainly the rubber buttons. This is a lot of labor!

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
If you have no experience, better to just hire someone that does. You'll be happier in the long run.
-chris

R
OP Offline
R
I appreciate all of your replies! Thanks!

Suffice to say, how it sounds and the action are most important and they are both great (although I may try my hand at some simple regulation though... polish key pins, rejuvenate felts etc).

I think all the people who know me would agree I'm a bit OCD (or CDO with the letters in the correct order! :P), so I want to make this middle-aged lady as perfect as I can.

Just for context, I will try and attach some pics to this post! As hopefully you can see... nothing major, but that old OCD is nagging me. laugh

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

P
P
The finished is polyester. The thickness of the coating is about 0.35 mm.
Shallow scratches and hair line can be cleaned by sanding with # 600# 800# 1000 +soap water and buffing.

Deep scratches must fill the polyester.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/AJUpe8ojtN7Bc0ep2

The genuine Yamaha black key top .
Bakelite =about 4$/each
WPC=about 15$/each.
Normal ebony=about$21/each.

T0490820 (black key top for CF3S,CFX )
Price=about 24$/each

Prices fluctuate. Please ask for Yamaha.

--------------------------------------
Pro-TAC tuning and repair service.
pro-tac.jpn.org/
--------------------------------------

S
S
Removing a sharp key is actually quite easy. They should be glued with a hide type of glue that you can steam to remove the binding. The problem is that it will take many steps to get the single key out of the action. You would have to remove the action and keys form the piano and then remove that action stack from the keybed. It is quite a few steps.

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I do not think Yamaha uses hide glue on the sharps.

Semipro Tech
P
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P
Nonetheless, judicious use of heat will soften whatever adhesive they did use. However I do not believe the OP understands fully what he is getting into.

Pwg

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
S
S
How are the tuning pins(Torque), hammers and the strings?

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Hi Rich, Congratulations on your CFIII!

You are a brave soul for wanting to improve your piano on your own. I think I might suggest before diving in to repair your own piano, you watch some YouTube videos on Piano refurbishment and the labor it takes and the mess it makes. Do a search on this forum about rebuilding a Soviet era Estonia Concert grand. Lots of pictures showing the work involved.

Are you just trying to improve the appearance of your piano on your own and leave tuning, regulation, and voicing to a professional piano tech?

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
I played a Yamaha CFIII concert grand at a Church once. It sounded and played great, based on my meager playing skills.

Speaking of the Yamaha CFIII, this is probably irrelevant to this thread, but I'll say it anyway. Years ago, I purchased a new Yamaha P90 digital stage piano. The P90 has no internal speakers, and has to have an amp or powered speakers. I purchased a new Peavey Keyboard amp just for the P90. However, the P90 had some unpleasant and irritating ringing overtones on some of the notes around the 5th octave. It was so bad, and so irritating to me, I thought it might be the new Peavey amp, and returned the amp to the store, and purchased a more expensive Roland 350 keyboard amp.

No luck. I heard the exact same odd, ringing overtones with the new Roland amp. So, I contacted Yamaha Customer/Warranty Service for digital pianos and told them about the issues I was having with the odd overtones. They said they would get back to me. In the meantime, I did some research online and found that others had complained about the same, odd ringing overtones on the new P90.

When Yamaha service got back to me, what they said was very disappointing. They said they checked into the issues I had complained about and said it was not the P90 because it was sampled using a Yamaha CFIII, which was the absolute best piano in all the world. They said the issues were my ears and my hearing, and not the P90.

First of all, I don't know for a fact that the CFIII is the best piano in all the world; secondly, they don't know for a fact that my hearing is defective. I am a huge fan of Yamaha acoustic pianos, but I'll never purchase another Yamaha digital piano, no matter how good they may claim to be.

Moral of the story? Your Yamaha CFIII is the best piano in all the world, according to Yamaha Digital Piano Warranty Service!

Congratulations! smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Wasn't this from the time period that Yamaha had a recall on the keyboards? I doubt that's still in effect, so many years later, but I think there was a batch of keyboards from that time which had issues with the sharps. Some of the older, more experienced techs may remember this better than I.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
B
BDB Offline
B
The problem was with the first Ivorite white keys.

The CFIIIs was a bigger improvement over the CFIII than the CFX is over the CFIIIs, in my opinion.

Semipro Tech
R
OP Offline
R
Thanks for all the excellent information guys!

Hah great story there Rick... suffice to say my Yamaha is the best piano in the world to me... because it's mine and I get to play it!

I am not taking any endeavours lightly... I have been given the name of a local guy who specializes in polyester piano finishes so will be seeing what he has to say before I touch anything... if the price is right I will just let him glam her up!

I would like to learn some basic restoration skills and have watched a lot of YouTube videos... which I know is no substitute for experience. Need to think about this more!!

Regarding the tuning pins, hammers and strings... all seem good. strings are bright and not corroded (thanks Colorado humidity!), hammers were recently voiced and seem to be good (although, again I am no expert!), pins have held tune through the piano move and a week of settling in.

One other question though... although all information in the web points to this being a CFIII, from other CFIII photos and the badge on the harp, I am wondering if it's a CF or a very early CFIII... opinions? The Yamaha S/N lookup site says this:

Serial Number Model Name
3897100 CFIII PE

All sites with S/N dating point to it being a 1984

Here's the badge:
[Linked Image]

Either way I am really happy with it... would just like to know what I actually own! LOL

Cheers!

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
That's a CF. It's not 9 feet long, is it?

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
R
OP Offline
R
Yep... 9ft long.

B
BDB Offline
B
"CFIII" was cast into the plate of the ones I tuned.

(The CFIIIs had the same cast inscription, but the serial number began with an "S")

Semipro Tech
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission