2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, 12 invisible), 1,816 guests, and 288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 40 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 39 40
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Is the ES110 Compact action the same pivot length as the GF Compact?

Last edited by rintincop; 01/19/20 03:11 AM.

Find 660 of Harry's solo piano arrangements for educational purposes and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
A
Online Happy
A
1. there is no VPC2
2. did anyone try the GF3?
3. newer is not always the better wink
4. ceep calm and try out first

Kawai VPC1, Nektar Impact GXP61+88
Past: "Fazer" acoustic piano, Yamaha P120, Roland JV90, M-audio and Novation Midi Keyboards
other instruments: electric and acoustic violins, Wal custom 4 string e-bass, Sire V7 fretless e-bass, Musser vibraphone
Software: Logic Pro
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Pretty cool to see the evolution of the GF action. Taking something good and finding new ways to improve on it every time is a great way to come to a great result.

A
AYS Offline
A
Both of the models look cool.I wonder if they fixed the software bugs and the clicking keys.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by magicpiano
I wonder exactly what they mean for: "improved SK-EX Rendering multi-channel sound engine features enhanced acoustic piano samples".

I would also like to get more specifics. The description for this_video says: "The improved Shigeru rendering multi-channel sound engine provides vastly enhanced piano samples that are among the best in the industry". And again, only general phrases, it is not clear what exactly has improved.

The same with this (from the same description): "The industry-leading LCD color touch screen has been improved and optimized for pianists". Again, what has been improved and optimized for pianists? Why are only general abstract phrases applied everywhere? For me, for example, one of the important optimizations would be the obvious ability to completely (with backlight) turn off the screen during practice. Is this still impossible?

The only thing for the moment that is specifically known in terms of improvements is the new Grand Feel III action, the details of which are shared by Kawai James on first page of this thread. But here's a quote from that_message:
Originally Posted by Kawai James
- More authentic key width and edge camber for black keys (based on SK-EX specification)
And this is exactly a copy of the sentence from the five years ago message, which described just released Grand Feel II action…

And since talking about black keys, I wonder if the texture of the black keys has changed (not everyone liked the excessive "Ebony" texture of the GF2 action).

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Hi James (or anyone that might know),

Do the CA79/99 load samples into RAM from an internal SSD drive? Or are they loaded from ROM?

Also, what is the size of the main (SK-EX) sample?

Pianos are one of the best human inventions of the past 323 years - help evangelize the magic!
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Hello folks,

To answer some of the queries raised so far:

- 88-key "User" Virtual Technician adjustments will be possible.
- The CA99/CA79 are not available in grand piano-shaped cabinets.
- The internal song recorder functions the same for SK-EX Rendering and Harmonic Imaging XL sounds.
- Transpose/Tuning is now possible with SK-EX Rendering sounds.
- The new system software and touchscreen OS is unfortunately not compatible with existing instruments.
- The speaker diffuser panels are exclusive to the CA99/CA79.
- The touchscreen backlight can turn off.
- All Kawai instruments use samples stored in ROM.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
OP Offline
Hello 9190,

Originally Posted by 9190
I would also like to get more specifics. The description for this_video says: "The improved Shigeru rendering multi-channel sound engine provides vastly enhanced piano samples that are among the best in the industry". And again, only general phrases, it is not clear what exactly has improved.

The same with this (from the same description): "The industry-leading LCD color touch screen has been improved and optimized for pianists". Again, what has been improved and optimized for pianists?

I didn't write that description text, however I believe "improved and optimised for pianists" refers to the fact that all acoustic piano sounds are now grouped together on the same screen - regardless of which sound engine (SK-EX Rendering or Harmonic Imaging XL) is used, making it easier for players to select and adjust their preferred piano sounds.

But here's a quote from that_message:
- More authentic key width and edge camber for black keys (based on SK-EX specification)
And this is exactly a copy of the sentence from the five years ago message, which described just released Grand Feel II action…

Sorry, that last line was accidentally left-over from a previous post that I referenced, and not related to the GFIII improvements.

And since talking about black keys, I wonder if the texture of the black keys has changed (not everyone liked the excessive "Ebony" texture of the GF2 action).

I don't believe there is a significant change in this area.

Kind regards,
James
x

L
L
Hey guys,

on the NAMM 2020 Bonners music is reviewing the CA 99 quickly and plays on it (sounds really good, too!)
I was wondering if anybody knows the name of the first piece he plays at 2:17

Thank you for your help!
here is the video with the review of the CA 99

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hYY7rz-b8g&t=184s

Last edited by lovelovemale; 01/20/20 01:35 AM.

Currently: NU1X
Previously: VPC-1 / CA-58 / CA-98 / CA-79
S
S

It's worth nothing that the CA79 also features Onkyo speakers (and improvement over the CA78), albeit not the CA98/CA99 soundboard speaker.

- All .

Nice!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hello Kawai James,
Thank you for the useful information.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
To me, the CA79/99 generation looks like an incremental upgrade to the CA78/98, but incremental in all the right places, which is laudable!

Pending the verdict after actually testing the new models, all the user complaints from the previous generation seem to have been addressed in these incremental changes (UI behavior, favorite management, touchscreen backlight, GFII slip tape, GFII key cushion). It is very good to see how Kawai actually took the user feedback from the previous generation on board (plus a few other incremental changes that are nice to have). This might be self-delusion, but I can't shake the feeling that this forum, and James presence here, has played a large role in that.

If I had a CA78/98, I wouldn't lose any sleep over not having the latest generation.

But if I still had my CA97 from one generation further back, I fear that I would now get some serious upgrade jitters. eek

(Luckily for me, I inoculated myself against that sickness with the NV10...) smile

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by JoBert
To me, the CA79/99 generation looks like an incremental upgrade to the CA78/98, but incremental in all the right places, which is laudable!

Pending the verdict after actually testing the new models, all the user complaints from the previous generation seem to have been addressed in these incremental changes (UI behavior, favorite management, touchscreen backlight, GFII slip tape, GFII key cushion). It is very good to see how Kawai actually took the user feedback from the previous generation on board (plus a few other incremental changes that are nice to have). This might be self-delusion, but I can't shake the feeling that this forum, and James presence here, has played a large role in that.

If I had a CA78/98, I wouldn't lose any sleep over not having the latest generation.

But if I still had my CA97 from one generation further back, I fear that I would now get some serious upgrade jitters. eek

(Luckily for me, I inoculated myself against that sickness with the NV10...) smile

There's some fairly major changes here though:

1. The 360 degrees sound dispersion thing.
2. The SK-EX has apparently been resampled.

It appears that KawaiPiano.fr's unmistakable claims that the SK-EX was being resampled turned out to be true. It's just that they were missing the context that this was for a new release.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JoBert
This might be self-delusion, but I can't shake the feeling that this forum, and James presence here, has played a large role in that.

I also have the same feeling. Someone recently brought a wish list thread I created some time ago and I see even some of my wishes from back then were fulfilled: new harpsichord sound and big choice of velocity curves. All the introduced changes are too suspiciously matching all that has been requested by the users on PW. That’s what I used to like in Kawai: that they listen to users. But a little too late for me. And there’s still no binaural patch which ultimately is one of the most important features of my Yamaha.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
OP Offline
Just to clarify:

Originally Posted by navindra
2. The SK-EX has apparently been resampled.

The SK-EX has not been resampled. However, the SK-EX samples used by the CA99/CA79 have been changed/improved.

Originally Posted by navindra
It appears that KawaiPiano.fr's unmistakable claims that the SK-EX was being resampled turned out to be true. It's just that they were missing the context that this was for a new release.

Unfortunately, this claim was incorrect.

Kind regards,
James
x

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Thank you James for clearing that up.

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
D
D
Hello folks,

To answer some of the queries raised so far:

- 88-key "User" Virtual Technician adjustments will be possible.
- The CA99/CA79 are not available in grand piano-shaped cabinets.
- The internal song recorder functions the same for SK-EX Rendering and Harmonic Imaging XL sounds.
- Transpose/Tuning is now possible with SK-EX Rendering sounds.
- The new system software and touchscreen OS is unfortunately not compatible with existing instruments.
- The speaker diffuser panels are exclusive to the CA99/CA79.
- All Kawai instruments use samples stored in ROM.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
James
x

Dear James,

thank you very much for this great answer. Especially "-88-key "User" Virtual Technician adjustments will be possible." Does this mean that the manual gets updated? Or will it just be an addendum for future software releases? Because in the manual on the german website there was no mention of an individual key adjustment (I suppose volume and voicing per key).

Best wishes from Germany
Daniel

Last edited by danielp11; 01/20/20 07:45 AM.

KAWAI CS11 (sold KAWAI CA 97), KAWAI GX2 acoustic grand piano (sold SCHIMMEL acoustic upright)
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Originally Posted by Colin Miles
The improvements to the action would certainly seem to vindicate the criticisms on this forum about the GFII action.

Makes me wonder if Pianoworld.com gets payed by Kawai (amongst others) for it's expertise in dp testing and providing professional feedback. smirk

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CyberGene
And there’s still no binaural patch which ultimately is one of the most important features of my Yamaha.

+1! thumb Although as recently mentioned recently, there are some differences in the samples, which might make the non-binaural CFX more appropriate for certain pieces on the N1X.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by U3piano
Originally Posted by Colin Miles
The improvements to the action would certainly seem to vindicate the criticisms on this forum about the GFII action.

Makes me wonder if Pianoworld.com gets payed by Kawai (amongst others) for it's expertise in dp testing and providing professional feedback. smirk

I wouldn’t be surprised if the most knowledgeable people about digital pianos (and acoustic pianos) besides manufacturers themselves are the people on PW. The extent to which the tiniest details are “dissected” here is stunning and I don’t think there are other people on the Internet who have discussed digital pianos in even half the details and the pickiness that’s prevalent here.

Last edited by CyberGene; 01/20/20 08:40 AM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
Page 7 of 40 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 39 40

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission