2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, 12 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 40 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 39 40
S
S
Originally Posted by Gombessa
Originally Posted by sleutelbos
Another I was hoping for - native multichannel output, though if/when it does happen, perhaps it will be exclusively for the Novus line...

You mean the six channels in the piano sound? Out of curiosity, would you want that for experimental sound design (I can see many uses there!) or more conventional piano recordings (I am too stupid to understand the advantage)?

It would be for added realism during playing. I don't know how many channels there are, but "multi-channel" suggests it's more than stereo smile

Yamaha has 4-channel sampling for its AvantGrand pianos, and each speaker plays back samples taken from the mic for its respective channel. On its current DPs, Kawai mixes down the multi-channel samples and outputs these to stereo speakers. I assume it would be an upgrade to have native multi-channel output to speakers positioned to take advantage of it.

The Ca78/98/79/99 are six-channel, and feature six speakers.I can't prove it but I suspect that is not by accident. wink I was thinking you were talking multi-channel USB output for post-processing, but if you refer to the internal speaker output I assume that the speakers are linked to the channels.

Actually giving me these channels in my DAW would be golden though (multi-channel spectral panning to individual busses FTW!)!

Last edited by sleutelbos; 01/16/20 08:23 PM.
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Hello folks,

Here's some new product information that may be of interest:

Kawai Japan is delighted to announce the CA99 and CA79, the latest high-performance additions to the popular Concert Artist series of premium digital pianos, and successors to the highly regarded CA98 and CA78.

Read more...

Kawai Global website: CA99 product page
Kawai Global website: CA79 product page

Kind regards,
James
x

Thank you kind sir.
This certainly makes Kawai a strong contender in the $3k-$4k price range.
Another good reason to consider Kawai is the excellent customer service you provide here on the forum smile
Other manufacturers should take a leaf out of your book - keep up the good work.

Last edited by Burkie; 01/16/20 08:58 PM.

Pianos are one of the best human inventions of the past 323 years - help evangelize the magic!
R
R
I don't think the so-called multi-channel has real meaning, especially near fied for this type of compact upright style DP. It's not AV system for distant listening.
I've tried multichannel effect with buit-in sound on my friend's N1X , which is not nearly as extensive as the sound field generated by my CA98.
Instead, the sound produced by the soundboard speakers and the secondary reflections will fill the room.
That's what the soundboard of the acoustic piano does.

CA98+ART RM5~~RME ADI2 DAC+tube Pre-Amp
VSL CFX&D274&Bluthner1895, Pianoteq7, Ivory2 ACD, Galaxy VintageD&StD, Bechstein DG, Embertone 1955Walker
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Classic A standard grand piano sound with a broad dynamic range.
Classic2 A Lustrous and brilliant grand piano sound.
Romantic A mellow grand piano sound with soft hammers.
Full A big grand piano sound with a strong bass and bright character.
Jazz A clean grand piano sound that is suitable for jazz.
Brilliant A bright grand piano sound with emphasised treble.
Rich A rich grand piano sound with emphasised resonances.
Ballad A clear, light grand piano sound that is suitable for ballads.
Vintage A soft grand piano sound with a vintage character.
Boogie A small grand piano with a detuned character.

Another find here... There's now a Classic2 variation for the SK-EX engine. Novus NV10 only has the "classic" Classic, not Classic2.

However, the Novus NV10 has Pop which is not here.

Pop A strong grand piano sound with emphasised attack that is suitable for pop music.

Classic2 sounds like it might be an enhanced version of Pop, perhaps a Yamaha-compete thing? smile

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by robinlb
I don't think the so-called multi-channel has real meaning, especially near fied for this type of compact upright style DP. It's not AV system for distant listening.
I've tried multichannel effect with buit-in sound on my friend's N1X , which is not nearly as extensive as the sound field generated by my CA98.

I also agree it's probably not a huge deal with these low profile consoles with very little depth. Since the mic positions are on a 9ft grand, the speakers should really be placed in the same position and distance. Even the N3X with its baby grand profile may not really make the most of it. To tell the truth, I just like the idea of it, and the notion of having multichannel line-out where you can position your own monitors!

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
What exactly do they mean when they say the new GF III action is a firmer action ? I don’t think I would like it to be firmer. Faster and lighter, yes.

DICTIONARY
firm
adjective
having a solid, almost unyielding surface or structure.
"the bed should be reasonably firm, but not too hard"

Find 660 of Harry's solo piano arrangements for educational purposes and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by rintincop
What exactly do they mean when they say the new GF III action is a firmer action ?

I guess they mean the following, as explained by James further up in this thread:

Originally Posted by Kawai James
- Revised hammer cushion structure
This is difficult to see in the reference image above, however the composition of the hammer cushion has been changed.
This results in a firmer key stop feeling, and also a slightly faster key return.

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by rintincop
What exactly do they mean when they say the new GF III action is a firmer action

You know how the GF2 can feel sort of spongy when it bottoms out at the bottom of the keystroke? The GF3 doesn't feel spongy.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
We still don’t know to what (terminal) degree this sponginess is removed though wink

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
G
G
Assume some of the members posting on this forum would have the chance to "touch" any of these during NAMM show and post a quick review.

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
The improvements to the action would certainly seem to vindicate the criticisms on this forum about the GFII action. I wonder to what extent they have rewritten the software?

Yamaha U1A, Roland LX706

South Wales, UK
S
S
Originally Posted by robinlb

I also agree it's probably not a huge deal with these low profile consoles with very little depth. Since the mic positions are on a 9ft grand, the speakers should really be placed in the same position and distance. Even the N3X with its baby grand profile may not really make the most of it. To tell the truth, I just like the idea of it, and the notion of having multichannel line-out where you can position your own monitors!

Would it it be as much or more about width than depth?

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G

Depth (or rather, length in terms of acoustic grands). Digitals are just as wide as acoustics (88 keys plus cheek blocks). The multi-channel recording mics are usually placed along the length of the grand to capture the sound at different points along the soundboard. Regular stereo recording already captures along the width.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
S
S

Depth (or rather, length in terms of acoustic grands). Digitals are just as wide as acoustics (88 keys plus cheek blocks). The multi-channel recording mics are usually placed along the length of the grand to capture the sound at different points along the soundboard. Regular stereo recording already captures along the width.

Not saying you are wrong, but I am slow in the head. smile This is Kawai's pic:
[Linked Image]

If you would put the CA79 in a grand piano body, and put speakers at the places of the mics, it would appear puzzling to me. After all, those mics are there not because the sound originates at those locations (which is what would happen if you put speakers there). When you have x-number of speakers spread horizontally, feeding them stereo-recorded sounds would not be the same as feeding them different recordings per speaker: the sound a mic placed at the center (horizontally) captures would not sound identical to the average of two mics placed left and right, no?

To be clear again: just trying to understand what you say! smile

Last edited by sleutelbos; 01/17/20 08:48 AM.
R
R

Yes, agree.
If we want to really experience the effects of multichannel, we should at least use the corresponding audio interface(multichannel too), DAW software, and a true multichannel VSTs (like VSL). And properly connect and place multiple monitors around player.
A typical example is in VSL Mendl demo video, where they connect five ADAM S3H monitors and 1~2 subwoofers under the tablle, and constitute a complete 5.1channel DP playback system.
Trying to achieve effective multichannel sound in a compact upright DP body is only a gimmick.

Last edited by robinlb; 01/17/20 09:04 AM.

CA98+ART RM5~~RME ADI2 DAC+tube Pre-Amp
VSL CFX&D274&Bluthner1895, Pianoteq7, Ivory2 ACD, Galaxy VintageD&StD, Bechstein DG, Embertone 1955Walker
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
If I owned a piano this big ... it would have no speakers. It would be an acoustic grand.
[Linked Image]

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I heard samples on youtube, man it sounds beautiful! and i love the look of the ca99
[

Last edited by Jitin; 01/17/20 01:13 PM.

Yamaha P155, Yamaha P515
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G

If you would put the CA79 in a grand piano body, and put speakers at the places of the mics, it would appear puzzling to me. After all, those mics are there not because the sound originates at those locations (which is what would happen if you put speakers there). When you have x-number of speakers spread horizontally, feeding them stereo-recorded sounds would not be the same as feeding them different recordings per speaker: the sound a mic placed at the center (horizontally) captures would not sound identical to the average of two mics placed left and right, no?

To be clear again: just trying to understand what you say! smile

On a grand piano, the sound originates from the entire surface area of the soundboard (and also from the strings, is affected by the rim, etc. depending on where you capture the sound). Mics placed at different positions along the length of the piano capture different sounds. The ones in back (to the left in your picture) capture more of the bass notes, the ones to the top right capture more treble.

What you say here is what I'm getting at:
feeding them stereo-recorded sounds would not be the same as feeding them different recordings per speaker

Multi-channel sampling mixed with multi-channel output should result in a more realistic, full-area tone. That's the theory behind the AvantGrands at least. Currently, what Kawai does with multi-sampling (unless it has changed with the CA-99) is to have the many recorded perspectives in the hardware, but these samples are mixed down to stereo for actual output (with different weightings/mixes for each sample depending on the rendering character chosen). I'm really interested in how different it would sound if there was true multi-channel output at closer positions to where the actual mics captured the original samples.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
X
X
Has anyone here tried the mechanism yet? I would love to see how people think of it.

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
I would also love to see how people think of it! wink

Page 5 of 40 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 39 40

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission