2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
25 members (brennbaer, AlkansBookcase, cmoody31, dh371, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, crab89, 6 invisible), 1,222 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
#2934104 01/15/20 09:29 AM
M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
New from Roland: Nice size for gigs:

https://www.roland.com/global/products/rd-88/

[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Looks like a great stage piano for gigs indeed, as I wrote in the other thread about NAMM. If I started purchasing gear for gigs (before I already got a SL73 and a MODX6), that would be my choice.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Is there any info about the sound engine?...they say 'Supernatural'. It sounds, from the harsh metallic clanking in the demos, like the sample based original Supernatural pianos. Although they also state "newly developed" piano sounds. If the piano sounds are okay, i.e., don't have either the synthy fakeness of Roland fully modelled pianos or the metallic twanging of the original Supernatural pianos, it would be a very attractive product indeed. Here's hoping they've tweaked the piano sound problems out of it.

M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Sorry Gene, did not see you post. But I think this was a good move on Roland's part meeting needs of giggers and buskers for sure. The small onboard speakers are nice touch for practice and traveling.

Originally Posted by Marko in Boston
Sorry Gene, did not see you post. But I think this was a good move on Roland's part meeting needs of giggers and buskers for sure. The small onboard speakers are nice touch for practice and traveling.

Seems like stage pianos with built-in speakers are becoming a bit of trend. First the SV2, now the RD-88. Who's next ?

Last edited by ChrisGoesPiano; 01/15/20 09:49 AM.

A long time ago, in a musical galaxy far, far away...
Eminent-Solina B412, Yamaha DX21, Yamaha V50, Yamaha U1

21st century...
Kawai CA58, Korg Liano, Arturia Minilab 3, Arturia Minilab MkII, Arturia Minifreak
EssBrace #2934120 01/15/20 09:50 AM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EssBrace
Is there any info about the sound engine?...they say 'Supernatural'. It sounds, from the harsh metallic clanking in the demos, like the sample based original Supernatural pianos. Although they also state "newly developed" piano sounds. If the piano sounds are okay, i.e., don't have either the synthy fakeness of Roland fully modelled pianos or the metallic twanging of the original Supernatural pianos, it would be a very attractive product indeed. Here's hoping they've tweaked the piano sound problems out of it.

Indeed, the acoustic piano in the demos sounds a bit metallic which is probably the non-fully-modeled SN-piano (what a mouthful!) from the past 😒 Also, the Rhodes piano has that rubbery/plinky quality that's also a shame since it's the modeled Rhodes they started using instead of their previous great sampled Rhodes 😡 There's no perfect board I think. I hate the sampled Rhodes in my MODX and I was at the verge of getting rid of the MODX after being frustrated with it at many fronts but I discovered Yamaha had released a free 400MB sample library with sampled Chick Corea's Mark V and I experimented with it the last night and was really pleasantly surprised by it, so for the moment I'm staying with it. But this RD88 is a very tempting instrument.

M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by ChrisGoesPiano

Seems like stage pianos with built-in speakers are becoming a bit of trend. First the SV2, now the RD-88. Who's next ?

True, Not to get off RD88 topic, but I like the trend. The RD88 speakers look exceptionally small compared to other slabs, yet onboard speakers are still "ok" for monitoring and practice, especially when travelling. Maybe even some slabs good enough for small gig in classroom, retirement home, or coffee shop. My Kawai ES7 speakers filled a small-to-medium room nicely. I think there always has been and will be a market for stage pianos with onboard speakers. I would really like to see the king of onboard speakers gets a long overdue update. I am referring to the Yamaha CP300. Those speakers could fill a room for sure. Still see that board out there at a lot of places.

Last edited by Marko in Boston; 01/15/20 10:13 AM.
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Hmm? You can't judge the sound by that video. Anyone notice in the demo it is plugged into mainstage?

A long long time ago, I can still remember
How that music used to make me smile....
CyberGene #2934156 01/15/20 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Originally Posted by EssBrace

Indeed, the acoustic piano in the demos sounds a bit metallic which is probably the non-fully-modeled SN-piano (what a mouthful!) from the past 😒 Also, the Rhodes piano has that rubbery/plinky quality that's also a shame since it's the modeled Rhodes they started using instead of their previous great sampled Rhodes 😡 There's no perfect board I think. I hate the sampled Rhodes in my MODX and I was at the verge of getting rid of the MODX after being frustrated with it at many fronts but I discovered Yamaha had released a free 400MB sample library with sampled Chick Corea's Mark V and I experimented with it the last night and was really pleasantly surprised by it, so for the moment I'm staying with it. But this RD88 is a very tempting instrument.

It's hard to say from the video. It looks to me like this is a scaled-down descendent of the RD-800. I've managed to customize the acoustic and tine pianos into pretty usable versions. It stays in my studio due to weight and size, but the RD-88 may be a giggle version of the 800. Same action, which is pretty enjoyable to play and relatively accurate for a digital instrument.

The form factor, weight and simplicity are plusses for live play. Speakers seem tiny, but we will have to wait until they get out into the wild.

The MainStage integration is by design according to the website. Interesting move.

Pramberger PS-157, Roland RD800, Nord Stage 2EX 76HP
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
I'm glad to see a real button interface, a move away from either scrolling or using the piano keys as controls, as has gotten so common on the lightweight slabs. Probably has real (5-pin DIN) MIDI, too.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Rusty Mike
...but the RD-88 may be a giggable version of the 800. Same action, which is pretty enjoyable to play and relatively accurate for a digital instrument..

But is it the same action? What's in RD-800 - PHA-IV Concert? If RD-88 has PHA-IV Standard then it's a completely different action with much shorter pivots and would be the same as FP10 and FP30, i.e., Roland's current cheapest action. It's perfectly fine for what it is but not the same as RD-800 (if my guess is right).

C
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
C
Is it slimmer than Privia PX-S? Is it? 😉

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by clothearednincompo
Is it slimmer than Privia PX-S? Is it? 😉

RD-88
1,284 (W) x 258 (D) x 159 (H) mm
50-9/16 (W) x 10-3/16 (D) x 6-5/16 (H) inches
13.5 kg / 29 lbs 13 oz

PX-S3000
1,322 (W) x 232 (D) x 102 (H) mm
52 (W) x 9 (D) x 4 inch (H) inches
11.2 kg (exclude batteries) / 24.7 lb (exclude batteries)

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Marko in Boston
New from Roland: Nice size for gigs:

https://www.roland.com/global/products/rd-88/

[Linked Image]

Yet another SuperNatural. Someone should tell Roland engineers that the SuperNatural piano sounds like an advanced toy piano sound. LOL yet another repacking done by Roland.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Roland lists their stage pianos in this order, which leaves a lot of room for replacement products above and below the RD-88's US$1200 price point. I wonder if we'll see an RD-64 again?

1. V-Piano
2. RD-2000 US$2500
3. RD-800
4. RD-88 US$1200
5. RD-300NX

Interestingly, the FP-60 at US$1500 is very competitive with the RD-88. Though the FP-60 does emphasize 'piano' features while the RD-88 emphasizes features for the 'stage'.

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
Abdol #2934252 01/15/20 02:03 PM
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Abdol
LOL yet another repacking done by Roland.

Keyboard development is almost always evolutionary rather than revolutionary. Especially at lower price points. The last Roland piano that was truly new was the $7000 (?) V-Piano over ten years ago. But that's still better than most other companies. What was the last piano from Yamaha, Korg, Kawai, Nord, or Kurzweil that was not largely a repackaging of something they had done before? Still, over time, the small changes add up, and the current boards are generally better than the boards of 20+ years ago. Not different from most other tech, really.

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by anotherscott
LOL yet another repacking done by Roland.

Keyboard development is almost always evolutionary rather than revolutionary. Especially at lower price points. The last Roland piano that was truly new was the $7000 (?) V-Piano over ten years ago. But that's still better than most other companies. What was the last piano from Yamaha, Korg, Kawai, Nord, or Kurzweil that was not largely a repackaging of something they had done before? Still, over time, the small changes add up, and the current boards are generally better than the boards of 20+ years ago. Not different from most other tech, really.

There is no point in introducing a new keyboard if it is the same thing as the already existing ones. Reducing the price of the old keyboards will do the same thing. This is called ripping off costumers in my dictionary. How many lines of keyboards one company needs?

It has nothing to do with evolution and revolution. It is all about making money and maximizing the profit from an already retired technology.

The price tag isn't going to make an instrument sound good. V-Piano was great a decade ago. Any demo I've listened to so far, from high to low-quality sounds synthesized.

Instead of throwing keyboards like spaghetti noodles at the wall, Roland can focus on improving SuperNatural sounds and offer better sounds but it constantly fails in this very important department.

Last edited by Abdol; 01/15/20 02:48 PM.
Abdol #2934286 01/15/20 03:21 PM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Abdol, it’s the most compact and lightweight RD (i.e. professional, in contrast to home pianos from the FP-series) Roland stage piano that also adds speakers. The closest Roland piano is RD-300NX which is longer, wider and much heavier without even having speakers. It’s a very welcome addition to their RD-line and the price is very good.

Abdol #2934294 01/15/20 03:53 PM
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
There is no point in introducing a new keyboard if it is the same thing as the already existing ones. Reducing the price of the old keyboards will do the same thing. This is called ripping off costumers in my dictionary.

If they could just reduce the price of old keyboards, there would be no point to spending money on the R&D and fabrication costs of a new model. Obviously, this is not the same as any existing model.

I'm not in the market right now, but if I were, to me, this is the most appealing piano Roland has come out with in probably 10 years. Heck, in terms of a piano that's under 30 lbs, you'd probably have to go back almost 20 years to the RS-9 for a decent really lightweight 88 (and that didn't even have a hammer action). Even the slightly heavier FP-4 is I think 13 years old, and that was the last "light" Roland piano that had any interest for me whatsoever. I won't know until I see a manual and get my fingers and ears around one, but potentially, this looks like the best gigging piano Roland has ever made. Lightweight, speakers, pitch and mod controls, MIDI master keyboard functions (presumably MIDI zoning and assignable controls), what looks like a decent number of direct patch selection buttons, line input, DIN MIDI as well as USB, multiple pedal support, and whether it's to your particular taste or not, a perfectly usable piano sound and a variety of other sounds. It may not be something you care about, but to me, on paper, this is pretty killer.

Instead of throwing keyboards like spaghetti noodles at the wall, Roland can focus on improving SuperNatural sounds and offer better sounds but it constantly fails in this very important department.

You're making a lot of assumptions. There's no calculus that says that, if they didn't do this kind of repackaging, they would have been able to come out with better sounds. They may still be working on better sounds, or conversely, they may not know how to make supernatural any better than it is (at least with current technology at marketable prices). Or maybe they found that the number of buyers choosing a non-Roland DP because they didn't like the sounds was smaller than the number of buyers choosing a non-Roland DP because Roland didn't have something light enough with a usable live interface. We're just not in a position to know these things. But we'll know whether they made a good decision once we see whether or not it becomes a strong seller.

K
K
It's always interesting to read a Roland thread online. They're extremely popular in the real world, I see them everywhere and honestly feels like I see them in YouTube videos more than any other brand besides Yamaha and yet on forums everyone seems to hate them and call them "metallic" and "synthy". V-piano sounds great to me in most videos (especially played by marasy) though I've never heard one in person, and so does the RD-2000. RD-88 sounds okay to me. Not the best but not awful. Most interesting thing about this to me is that it's compatible with Zen-Core https://www.roland.com/us/company/press_releases/2020/ROLAND-UNVEILS-ZEN-CORE-SYNTHESIS-SYSTEM/

With the forthcoming system updates, owners of FANTOM 6/7/8 Synthesizers (Version 1.50*), JUPITER-X Series Synthesizers (Version 1.10) and RD-88 Stage Pianos will be able to start using the same compatible sounds across all models, adding a new collaborative capability to their instruments. An update for the MC-101 and MC-707 GROOVEBOXES will also be available in Q2 2020, with an update planned for AX-EDGE later this year.

ZEN-Core base engine tones created on one instrument can be shared with other users or transferred into completely different compatible Roland hardware. Performers can take sounds made on a FANTOM and play them in the spotlight on an AX-Edge Keytar, or perform a JUPITER-X synth patch on an RD-88, dramatically simplifying setup and expanding tonal options. Sounds are easily shared with a bandmate or co-creator, even when using different compatible Roland hardware. With ZEN-Core, users have access to the sounds they want, in the format they want, wherever they produce or perform.

Last edited by Kougeru; 01/15/20 04:10 PM. Reason: Added quote from the site I linked
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission