2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
62 members (Andrew E., anotherscott, 36251, Acetach, AJB, Alex Hutor, 19 invisible), 725 guests, and 240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 1,695
W
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
W
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 1,695
Hi there!

My piano is ebony gloss (the standard) and it's starting to get dusty and has fingerprints. How does everyone dust and wipe down their piano? Can I use a Swiffer duster for the dust? I really like those because the dust actually sticks to them, rather than just get dispersed like other dusters.


Kawai K-500
Casio PX-735 (in retirement)
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,977
j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,977
Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand
Hi there!

My piano is ebony gloss (the standard) and it's starting to get dusty and has fingerprints. How does everyone dust and wipe down their piano? Can I use a Swiffer duster for the dust? I really like those because the dust actually sticks to them, rather than just get dispersed like other dusters.

I use microfiber cleaning cloth or swiffer duster and use ammonia free glass cleaner like SprayAway for fingerprints or dirt. Keeps the shiny shiny.


J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
The reason I’m old and wise is because God protected me when I was young and stupid.
[Linked Image]
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 15,134
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 15,134
Originally Posted by j&j
I use microfiber cleaning cloth or swiffer duster and use ammonia free glass cleaner like SprayAway for fingerprints or dirt. Keeps the shiny shiny

+1 thumb

Rick


Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 3,071
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Offline
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 3,071
Cory High Gloss Piano Polish .....available from PW store. Apply with the Cory supplied micro-fibre cloth
Ian


I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 6,676
L
6000 Post Club Member
Offline
6000 Post Club Member
L
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 6,676
I do a quick light dust with a feather duster (check no wire centre ) After this I use Cory's Spray Polish .Spray on the special cloths (that came with them ,gift from dealer) I polish not too hard
except some finger marks.
With polished ebony even if you think you see a scratch ,you can remove it (not a scratch) with
a slightly damp coth .Sometimes you have to use some firmness. With the Cory polish you can
get the polish remover also by Cory.Only use occasionally if there is a build up of polish .
I must say I only polish about once a month.
This Cory polish is made especially for pianos.

However perhaps J&J and Richster's method work better ?

Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,977
j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,977
Originally Posted by Lady Bird
I do a quick light dust with a feather duster (check no wire centre ) After this I use Cory's Spray Polish .Spray on the special cloths (that came with them ,gift from dealer) I polish not too hard
except some finger marks.
With polished ebony even if you think you see a scratch ,you can remove it (not a scratch) with
a slightly damp coth .Sometimes you have to use some firmness. With the Cory polish you can
get the polish remover also by Cory.Only use occasionally if there is a build up of polish .
I must say I only polish about once a month.
This Cory polish is made especially for pianos.

However perhaps J&J and Richster's method work better ?


All will work nicely I’m sure. wink


J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
The reason I’m old and wise is because God protected me when I was young and stupid.
[Linked Image]
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 7,845
7000 Post Club Member
Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 7,845
Originally Posted by Beemer
Cory High Gloss Piano Polish .....available from PW store. Apply with the Cory supplied micro-fibre cloth


That’s what I use — although I bought mine from Amazon. (Oops!)


Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,977
j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,977
Also, microfiber cloths are readily available in auto parts departments and stores. They are delicate enough for cleaning expensive cars. Plus they’re usually included with big screen TVs. We have 3 different stashes for my piano, our vehicles, and the TV. But we never mix them up.


J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
The reason I’m old and wise is because God protected me when I was young and stupid.
[Linked Image]
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,301
J
3000 Post Club Member
Offline
3000 Post Club Member
J
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,301
I use a feather duster for regular dusting. I use windex ammonia free and use the microfiber cloth that came with the Cory pre-polish cleaner. The ammonia free windex I think works better than the pre-polish from Cory. I had some overspray from the Cory Polish that dried on the finish like fine dots and the Cory pre-polish had a hard time removing it and I don't rub on the piano finish. I used the ammonia free windex and the overspray came right off with gentle wipes. I finish with the Cory High Gloss Piano Polish with the microfiber cloth that came with it. I don't want to overuse the polish mostly dust on occasion with duster.

Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 270
N
Silver Subscriber
Full Member
Offline
Silver Subscriber
Full Member
N
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 270
The technician advised me to use cheese cloth that was just barely damp for dusting. The finish on my piano is a flat ebony.

Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,487
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Offline
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,487
I've been using a swiffer on my N1X and haven't noticed any fine scratches or dullness after a year. I dust it pretty much every day because it's such a bleeping dust magnet.


Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 6,676
L
6000 Post Club Member
Offline
6000 Post Club Member
L
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 6,676
Originally Posted by Jethro
I use a feather duster for regular dusting. I use windex ammonia free and use the microfiber cloth that came with the Cory pre-polish cleaner. The ammonia free windex I think works better than the pre-polish from Cory. I had some overspray from the Cory Polish that dried on the finish like fine dots and the Cory pre-polish had a hard time removing it and I don't rub on the piano finish. I used the ammonia free windex and the overspray came right off with gentle wipes. I finish with the Cory High Gloss Piano Polish with the microfiber cloth that came with it. I don't want to overuse the polish mostly dust on occasion with duster.

You are not supposed spray ON the piano Jethro but a little on a cloth. Then polish !

Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 3,487
3000 Post Club Member
Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 3,487
Originally Posted by Rickster
Originally Posted by j&j
I use microfiber cleaning cloth or swiffer duster and use ammonia free glass cleaner like SprayAway for fingerprints or dirt. Keeps the shiny shiny

+1 thumb

Rick


+2. Same here.



[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Future-proof-ness of a silent acoustic grand
by Falsch - 07/06/22 08:03 AM
Haessler
by PianistEsq - 07/06/22 12:05 AM
Garritan CFX sustain problem
by mwf - 07/05/22 11:29 PM
First digital piano for my almost 6 year-old son.
by New2music - 07/05/22 10:54 PM
What Level is this Arrangement?
by showard - 07/05/22 09:36 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,824
Posts3,205,791
Members105,732
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

 Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads



 
Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
 
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine


© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5