2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Animisha, brennbaer, Cominut, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 4 invisible), 1,184 guests, and 271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A new book published 11 days ago: The Sachiko Piano Method: How to Find the Music Within You.
Many students sit at the piano for hours on the misguided assumption that if they practice long enough results will emerge; they equate physical effort with productive work. But that doesn’t always follow. If you really want to learn to play better, you must engage your mind while practicing. In this book, concert pianist and dedicated teacher Sachiko Kato reveals how the piano led her to life lessons and wisdom about personal growth that redefined what it means to practice the piano. This practice method shows readers how to open the mind and produce results at the piano.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Another relatively new book: Debussy's Paris.
Claude Debussy’s exquisite piano works have captivated generations with their dreamlike atmosphere and mysterious soundscapes.Written in Paris at the height of the Belle Époque, the music creates a soundtrack for Parisians’ enjoyment of such delights as clowns, mermaids, eccentric dances, and the dark tales of Edgar Allan Poe. Debussy’s Paris: Piano Portraits of the Belle Époque explores how key works reflect not only the most appealing and innocent aspects of Paris but also more disquieting attitudes of the time such as racism, colonial domination, and nationalistic hostility. Debussy left no avenue unexplored, and his piano works present a sweeping overview of the passions, vices, and obsessions of the era.

Pianist Catherine Kautsky reveals little-known elements of Parisian culture and weaves the music, the man, the city, and the era into an indissoluble whole. Her portrait will delight anyone who has ever been entranced by Debussy’s music or the city that inspired it.

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
J
J
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

I bought this book today and am really enjoying it. Thanks for the heads up Tyrone!

Yamaha N1X, P-515.
Genelec 8331 monitors and 7350 sub.
VI’s: Garritan CFX, VSL Bösendorfer Upright, and VSL Blüthner 1895. Pianoteq.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I just seen the description on this and I’m planning to read it next. I’m behind on my reading list at the moment, with no valid reason.

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently unit 4
Faber All In One -Level 2
Grateful Dead fan since 1987
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
I asked for and received a copy of Girls at the Piano, by Virginia Lloyd, for Christmas. It was well written and an interesting read.

Though the author studied classical piano (achieving her A. Mus. A exam in her home country of Australia), her real love was jazz, but she could never reconcile her love for jazz improvisation as a career with her unwillingness to live the jazz performer life (as she saw it). She intertwines the story of a half-imagined (some bare-bones fact along with imagined thoughts) history of her grandmother's musical life in Britain and Australia.

Two quibbles: (1) She laments the lack of female role models in jazz, but unless I missed it, never mentions the likes of Marian McPartland or Liz Story, to name two (even though she spent most of her adult life in the U.S. (NYC) and might have been expected to have been aware of them as well as others). (2) She leaves out an account of her marriage and widowhood, after having made mention of those life events early on, but then never further discussing it.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

cmb13 Offline OP
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Great additions! I didn't notice these updates on 12/30.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Thank you to all posters. So many books to add to my reading list!

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Can somebody recommend a good Bach biography?

Alesis Coda Pro
cmb13 Offline OP
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
I’m on it.... smile

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JJHLH
I bought this book today and am really enjoying it. Thanks for the heads up Tyrone!

With Richrf, that makes 3 of us on PW who have said we bought this book. Whoever finishes it first should add a one paragraph review to this thread smile

[Linked Image]

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R

With Richrf, that makes 3 of us on PW who have said we bought this book. Whoever finishes it first should add a one paragraph review to this thread smile

Yes, it is a very well thought out book with ideas that can add many new dimensions to creating music. I am bookmarking key phrases and ideas that I will come back to since adding all to my practice at one time will surely add tension to my practice. So I will incorporate them bit by bit and observe their effects. The author, having an Asian background, blends her Asian cultural knowledge into her ideas in such a way that they can be assimilated by an audience not familiar with certain concepts.

She begins her exposition with a simple chapter - and most important chapter entitled "Relax=Enjoy". This pretty much encapsulates the method. Definitely a straightforward book that is well with reading many times over.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

I didn’t see it on I books or my subscription service yet. I use another search beside the big G and there isn’t a lot about it yet.

Alesis Coda Pro
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Alexander Borro
Originally Posted by rocket88
"The Piano Shop on the West Bank"...one of the best, a great read about pianos and Paris France.

Also "Chopin in Paris" a biography of the master.

+1
I loved that book "The Piano Shop on the West Bank" , picked it up in the second hand book shop for pretty much nothing last year, I only saw it by accident while browsing. Once I started on it I couldn't put it down. A great read indeed thumb

I’ve reread that book numerous times. A pure delight. Got it dirt cheap from a book reseller.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Nonfiction book: Music By Heart (London, 1938) by Lilias Mackinnon. On memorization. (According to Nahum, this was the, or one of the, main books on memorization for piano in the USSR.) More info at the URL link. Long out-of-print but can be found at used book sellers.

[Linked Image]

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission