2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
78 members (AlphaTerminus, Alex Hutor, Andrew E., BarbaraRose, apianostudent, 17 invisible), 1,474 guests, and 722 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 17 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 16 17
W
W
Hello mate. That's great. You will be amazed at the difference you will feel under your fingers! Keep up the good work and if I can shed a little bit of advice again: when you sit down, before you even touch the keys, take care of your posture: back, arms and wrists. The wrong wrist angle in your latest video is still evident, especially the left arm. It looks like most of the time it's pointing upwards rather than downwards. The right hand looks much better. If you pay attention to that, your performance will improve at least by 50% smile
I wish you a Merry Christmas and with your determination the New Year will be a happy breeze for you. All the best

Korg SP-170S
[Linked Image]
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
A
Ankee Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Day 76
Streak: 76

Originally Posted by wouldloveto
Hello mate. That's great. You will be amazed at the difference you will feel under your fingers! Keep up the good work and if I can shed a little bit of advice again: when you sit down, before you even touch the keys, take care of your posture: back, arms and wrists. The wrong wrist angle in your latest video is still evident, especially the left arm. It looks like most of the time it's pointing upwards rather than downwards. The right hand looks much better. If you pay attention to that, your performance will improve at least by 50% smile
I wish you a Merry Christmas and with your determination the New Year will be a happy breeze for you. All the best

Hey there! smile Great to see you're still around!

I'll have a look at the arm position, thank you for bringing that to my attention! smile

Ahhh I can't wait to actually get to play on it! Closest I got was playing a few notes on an upright some 20 odd years ago. It'll be veeeery interesting to see how it feels like, hopefully I don't make a complete fool of myself haha.

I wish you a Merry Christmas as well,all the best to you my friend!

Preparation is coming along, think I'll be able to play O Sole Mio, Raisins and Almonds, Scarborough Fair, Minuet in A Minor, and that simple version of Silent Night. As long as I keep my nerves in check, it should be okay smile

A
Ankee Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Day 77
Streak: 77

Oh my, what an experience it was to play on an acoustic!

I didn't expect the action to be so heavy, definitely let a TON of notes go blank at the beginning haha. But wow, the feeling of the hammer hitting the string is... really one of a kind. I was thinking of upgrading to a better digital in a bit, then eventually saving up for an acoustic but I think I'll just wait longer and grab an acoustic when I have the chance, it's a completely different experience.

Managed to play all the songs, albeit with a few mistakes, but people enjoyed it so much they didn't want to let me leave! That felt sooo rewarding! Definitely want to do this more often and getting rid of the pile of stress I was during the initial bits.

What an amazing beginning to Christmas, hope everyone is having a great time as well, time to go and be with family now smile

Video of the Minuet -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pd86uIxqIc

A
Ankee Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Day 78
Streak: 78

Awww man! Back to good old CDP-130. The action feels sooo subpar! Ugh!

Also might have gone to the local piano shop to browse a bit, and since I was the only person there the owner offered to let me play anything on display. Oh boy! I was like a... no, I was properly a kid during Christmas!

Got to try outrageous stuff like the Yamaha C7X, which might have spoiled me quite a bit. I have to say I did love the action on Yamaha's uprights though, might be shooting for a B3 in a few years, once I'm done with uni and stabilized.

Not sure if I'm hungry or too full, that's Christmas in Portugal I suppose. Hope everyone had a great Christmas smile

Back to work now! Working on Far Away by Teresa Richert, an etude from the RCM celebration series. It's very simple but it sounds sooo good. Should have a video put together of it rather soon.

Been tinkering a bit with the VST, and I think the sound is a lot better now, even if the velocity curve is a pain to get with the CDP-130, since by default what would be fortissimo on it produces a meager 85! Probably still needs some more work, but I can do fortissimo now at least!

A
Ankee Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Day 79
Streak: 79

Learned a really good sounding etude from the RCM Celebration series. It's very simple but I loved how it sounded when I watched a youtube clip of it, I knew it had to be my next song smile

Far Away by Teresa Richert - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x16L5h4bWr0

Next up I guess it'll have to be Czerny 13 smile

W
W
That's nice, Ankee. You show better control of your wrists now and your overall posture looks much better, hence the sound is better too. I'm very happy for your progress. Keep up the good work. smile

Korg SP-170S
[Linked Image]
A
Ankee Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Day 80
Streak: 80

That's nice, Ankee. You show better control of your wrists now and your overall posture looks much better, hence the sound is better too. I'm very happy for your progress. Keep up the good work. smile

Thank you so much! It's great to hear I'm actually making progress! smile Definitely didn't imagine I'd be doing some of these things even 3 months ago, so glad I started this thread. It definitely has been a huge motivator to not slack off!

Czerny 13 is going, I know all the notes but still make a couple blunders each time. Not up to the tempo I'd like to have it at, but it should be a matter of 1-2 days, hopefully smile

A
Ankee Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Day 81
Streak: 81

Still banging my head on Czerny 13, ahhh! I can get through each measure once without much problem, but doing it twice in a row is proving to be quite tough. I just start tensing a lot after getting through it once, need to find a way to still be relaxed on the second time through and it'll be alright smile

On the other hand, I did ind out one of the local stores does have the Roland HP 704. I'd like to try that as well as the Yamaha 635/645. If the Roland doesn't seem clearly superior I might just wait for April as we'll likely know about the new 700 series from Yamaha.

A
Ankee Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Day 82
Streak: 82

Guess what? Czerny 13! I'm not sure why Czerny gives me such trouble, much more than the vast majority of songs. It's improving, albeit a lot slower than I'd like! But hey, we truck along smile Think I'm starting to like the song, out of playing it so many times in such a short span.... I seem to have this happen with all the songs I struggle with, huh.

W
W
I might hazard an opinion here. Czerny 13 is not particularly a hard one, but it introduces a new way to play chords, which is not to use all the fingers at once but has a rest on the first beat for some of them. It's a different level of mental coordination which might be made harder by the music you have been used to play so far (alfred's book). Basically your finger coordination has been affected by a not ideal path you followed on your first approach. You just need to unlearn it now and get into new habits. That's one of the reasons why I kept drumming about when I was suggesting, if you wanted to be serious about learning, to stop playing songs and focus only on scales until you got a teacher. The good news though is that the human mind is so flexible and only needs focus and exercise to get into new habits. Luckily you are on the right track now smile

Korg SP-170S
[Linked Image]
A
Ankee Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I might hazard an opinion here. Czerny 13 is not particularly a hard one, but it introduces a new way to play chords, which is not to use all the fingers at once but has a rest on the first beat for some of them. It's a different level of mental coordination which might be made harder by the music you have been used to play so far (alfred's book). Basically your finger coordination has been affected by a not ideal path you followed on your first approach. You just need to unlearn it now and get into new habits. That's one of the reasons why I kept drumming about when I was suggesting, if you wanted to be serious about learning, to stop playing songs and focus only on scales until you got a teacher. The good news though is that the human mind is so flexible and only needs focus and exercise to get into new habits. Luckily you are on the right track now smile

Weirdly enough, it was my right hand not collaborating, the left one felt very natural! It's definitely very interesting to be exploring different content and finding out about all these different ways to play, I'm loving it smile

I do have to say I still really enjoy Alfred for what it is, and I will more than likely still be picking some songs from Alfred 2. Think if I didn't have such a structure approach to learning the very basics it would've been harder to stay on track, so I'm thankful for it laugh

Did manage to get through the etude, even though I'm not done with it, the bit on measure 7 needs to be legato, and I definitely do want to keep practicing this until it feels natural. Think the hardest part of these etudes is the lack of pauses, sticking with it will focus on getting that part up to speed smile

Czerny 13 -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDlymUUqWTY

A
Ankee Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Day 83
Streak: 83

Put a bit more time into Czerny 13, and I feel like it's really helping with my mobility, other songs feel a lot easier to maneuver.

Made sure I still can play the repertoire I brought the other day, which I indeed can! Also started working on the Downton Abbey theme from the Faber Popular book, which I have to say sounds absolutely gorgeous! I have never watched the series, but feeling a little bit inclined to do so because of the theme...

A
Ankee Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Day 84
Streak: 84

Well, I definitely did not expect to get the song within a day! I have to say that did do wonders for my self esteem even though it's not a hard song smile Think it's just that moment where you realize you actually did make progress and you didn't expect to be here at this point, so very thankful for all the advice and help I got, thank you guys!

Downton Abbey Theme -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGQKaceT7aw

If I don't see you in the meantime, have a great beginning of 2020, let's all continue practicing through next year smile

A
Ankee Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Day 85
Streak: 85

More practice on Downton Abbey, forcing myself to actually look at the sheet! After reading the memorization thread I'm feeling like I really should be paying more attention to keeping my eyes on the sheet rather than just relying on my memory. It'll do for short songs but the initial bit (figuring out what notes I'm looking at) is already the most time consuming one, and does become a handicap once I can't remember what I'm meant to be playing.

I'll probably start something new tomorrow, but will mostly be trying to keep what I already know fresh, exams are getting way too close frown Hope everyone had a great end to 2019, and an even better start to 2020! smile

A
Ankee Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Day 86
Streak: 86

Keeping up repertoire, finally added the the B Major scale to the rotation (late, I know :D). The fingering for the left hand feels very natural when I'm playing it, but it definitely does create a mess with the other scales if I play them after B major, I'll have to get used to that smile

Also doing some sightreading practice. The application I'm using is great, except the intervals are random, so it doesn't help too too much with not looking at keys since every other note is a large jump, but it's definitely helping with recognizing notes, so it's doing good for sure smile If only sightreadingfactory had midi...

Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Ankee
Out of curiosity, does your method book or your teacher assign the B major scale now? Only curious because when I initially learned to play, it seems like scales were later and they were added more slowly.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
It seems odd to me too. The B major key is not really a scale one would be typically using at just under 3 months in on piano. Certainly at my 3 month point, I was playing easy stuff like Petzold's Minuet, which is in the nice easy G Major scale...

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
W
W
I have to second your thoughts about scales, guys. Pretty odd that B major would be added a this point in time for Ankee...

Korg SP-170S
[Linked Image]
A
Ankee Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Day 87
Streak: 87

Started working on Bridal Chorus from Alfred's 2, can't say I'm that big a fan of the song, but it does have some interesting bits, guess it's never a bad idea to have that known and practiced!

As for the B Major scale, it was indeed my teacher who had me learn it, according to her getting to know them early will be a plus in the future, that's my last one to complete the regular major scales. I don't see myself playing any song in a key like this anytime soon, but hey laugh

A
Ankee Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Day 88
Streak: 88

Bridal Chorus didn't pose much of an issue, which I suppose is to be expected from introductory songs. Next up is Guantanamera. That's such a blast from the past, used to listen to that with my mom all the time! Looking forward to trying my hand at it smile

Bridal Chorus -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KYHWyc8Reg

Page 11 of 17 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
Selling Hammond D100 (think B3) Organ & Leslie HL722!
---------------------
Our Fall 2021 Free Newsletter is Out , see it here!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Baldwin L vs. Steinway A
by noyes - 10/26/21 06:08 PM
New Steinway O- Yeti Revelation Scoring Grand
by newer player - 10/26/21 01:54 PM
Difficulty Adjusting to a lighter weight piano
by CoffeeTea21 - 10/26/21 12:57 PM
Non-creaky beginner piano setup?
by cai.linn - 10/26/21 12:56 PM
Upright Dampers - thin wood backing
by jkess114 - 10/26/21 12:27 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,756
Posts3,142,212
Members103,122
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission