2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
89 members (anotherscott, Alex Hutor, Alfred La Fleur, accordeur, ando, 36251, AaronSF, 17 invisible), 1,025 guests, and 466 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sam S

You've got him trained!. I had a similar piano acquisition journey. Started on a 61 key keyboard, then an old Wurlitzer console, then a Yamaha U1, then I rebuilt a 1927 C. Bechstein Model L grand. I added a room on to the house to be the music room, with doors that close so my wife can catch a break. I recently upgraded to a 30 year-old Yamaha C3. So currently there are two grands in the music room, set up back to back. The Bechstein is for sale, but who knows how long that will take!

Sam

You’re selling the piano you rebuilt? Why? I’m surprised - I thought it was a prized possession.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by cmb13

You've got him trained!. I had a similar piano acquisition journey. Started on a 61 key keyboard, then an old Wurlitzer console, then a Yamaha U1, then I rebuilt a 1927 C. Bechstein Model L grand. I added a room on to the house to be the music room, with doors that close so my wife can catch a break. I recently upgraded to a 30 year-old Yamaha C3. So currently there are two grands in the music room, set up back to back. The Bechstein is for sale, but who knows how long that will take!

Sam

You’re selling the piano you rebuilt? Why? I’m surprised - I thought it was a prized possession.

Its time to move on to something better - I found a C3 in perfect condition!

Sam

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Sam

Oh, my heart! 😍😍😍 Congratulations!! 👍😊

Lisa
Chief Cook & Pot Scrubber @ Cunningham Piano Club 🎹
Cunningham Studio Grand & Yamaha CLP645

"I tell my piano the things I used to tell you." - Frederic Chopin
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member

Sam

You can never have too many dream pianos! smile

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

This time 10 years ago I didn't know anything about piano, music notes, nothing except what I listen to on the radio or my iPod. And now, I learned stuff.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My life is a journey with many winding roads. When I was younger, a family member started violin lessons and so it was my instrument by default. My parents made a practical decision on my behalf. 2 people would share an instrument, the same teacher and learn the same material so that person A & B can help each other. On the other hand, some families have kids playing different instruments so that they can form a trio or quartet.

In my school days I listened to music performed on a piano, harpsichord or organ but wouldn't imagine myself ever playing a piano because I lacked the talent. When I started a decade ago, I kept going and didn't look back.

Some people mentioned starting piano at an early age. I could not see myself playing before age 10. My biggest accomplishment of the decade is not just being able to play piano / keyboard at an intermediate level but doing it on my own. In the past my mother wouldn't buy a piano or pay for lessons. It took more than a decade for me to break out of my comfort zone and stop being a conformist like other family members. It is easier now that the keyboard option is available and I have the financial means for a teacher. People would say it's too late to start piano as an adult and someone like myself probably won't get anywhere so why bother...

G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member
G
Great and inspiring read. Congratulations Sam ... like a boost of energy getting new keys.

An old story now, and feels like a prior time, but my achievement of the Decade still has to be giving up booze. I had my last drink on June 21st., 2011. For me this is significant because the way I was going I don't think I would still be alive. I took drinking very seriously and foolishly let it take control.

I joined piano world a year later and this was a perfect outlet to sink my teeth into something positive. I love playing and learning and discussing and even the odd quarrel (sorry), and especially at this time of year.

Things didn't get easier right away. In fact they got much worse before they got better. I'm not a religious person, but I am a spiritual person. I started reading about buddhism a couple o years ago just out of interest sake. I don't meditate or levitate or dress in robes or anything. In fact all I've done is read about it. I can honestly say though, from that time until now, life is better. Even my playing is better.

I was down to the big smoke for the big ho ho ... and glad to have friends there but I've moved to a new city now and doing Carpentry of all things. I try to stay present and put one foot in front of the next and ... Life is better.

S
S
My achievement of the decade was firmly deciding it was time to satisfy a life long desire to learn to play the piano, in September 2018 at age 64.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I upgraded from a digital piano to an acoustic grand piano in 2009, and restarted piano lessons in 2010. 5 years later I finally completed the goal that I never made it when I was learning piano as a teen. I got my Grade 8 certificate.

Now, 10 years since I got my grand piano, I'm still attending regular piano lessons with the same teacher.

This year, everything came together and I finally discovered my individual fingers and learned how to play soft, properly and in control!

10 more years from now I'll finally be able to play music properly. LOL!

Be yourself

Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
My achievements of the decade were:

December 2011 - discovering the piano music I wanted to play, and digging out my Alfred’s Book 1. Again.

March 2012 - ‘playing’ my first grand piano in a practice studio (a highlight while on a trip to Paris for my 70th birthday).

May 2013 - starting to build a new house featuring a piano room large enough for my own grand.

November 2013 - finding and buying a beautiful 30+ year old Yamaha C3 (great choice, Sam!) to put in it.

From then until now - playing it every single day.

The Piano World community has helped me along every step of this happiest journey so far - thank you all! heart

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]XXXVIII-LXIII

My C3 - solace. And joy.
F
F
Quit in 1979, re-started in 2017. That's it. Maybe next decade I'll play something well enough to share.

Just do it. -- Nike

Silver Supporter until Sept 10 2020
500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
MarieJ your story is inspiring!

"Serena," my Estonia L168.

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
Fidel, that’s IT! That’s big!

"Serena," my Estonia L168.
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by FarmGirl
Wow, it’s been 9 years already!
My achievement in almost a decade is that I completely trained my husband. When I restarted piano lessons in 2009, I had to be content with my old upright piano kept in my study. He complained constantly how loud I was playing.

A few years later, I was able to buy my first grand piano 5’8” Baldwin. My husband was shocked how big that was and thought I was crazy. The location for the piano moved to the living room. My husband did not agree to place it in the most prominent and best place - on the recessed floor under the high ceiling close to the double door entrance. At that time the spot was used for a large flat screen TV, a set of leather couches and a lounge chair. He used to like to lie down on the couch and watch TV. Oh it was so loud that often interfered with my practicing. Gradually he stopped watching TV. Probably could not stand the noise competition. He now uses his iPad now with headsets.

In 2016 I bought my current piano, 7’2” Schimmel grand and placed it on the recessed floor. This time around he was not even surprised. He said he knew it would happen anytime. He said that he was surprised that I did not keep the old piano for two piano sessions. Now he sleeps through my practice. Didn’t I do a good job?

This is the most awesome thing I've read in a while. thumb

Only in men's imagination does every truth find an effective and undeniable existence. Imagination, not invention, is the supreme master of art as of life. -Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by cmb13

Sam

Sam

Sam you are the man! Just wanted to say that.

Only in men's imagination does every truth find an effective and undeniable existence. Imagination, not invention, is the supreme master of art as of life. -Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Yikes, it's been a decade for me too.

I remember this fondly:
http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...n-a-room-full-of-people.html#Post1187223

Learner
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
It has been a decade since restarting for me too. In the US I had a Mason Hamlin that I loved, but I could not move it to Switerland in 2010, because we lived in an apartment. I began with an N2 digital piano.. I remember the first piece I played in the quarterly recital - it was a "Spanish Medley" from Alfreds Premier method books.
http://recitals.pianoworld.com/recital_files/Recital_24/21.%20SwissMs%20-%20Spanish%20Medley.mp3.
Little did I know I would be living in Spain 7 years later.

It is fun to look back and see how far we have come. I have done ABRSM grade 4-8 and have enjoyed every minute of my piano journey journey. I have the piano of my dreams,(Bosendorfer VC214) and feel joy every time I play it. My playing has come a long way, and I am now playing pieces I love! I have gone from method books to Beethoven Sonatas. My last recital was this piece:
http://recitals.pianoworld.com/reci...0in%20F%20Minor%20Allegro%20op.2%201.mp3

In the evening, I just sit down and sight read popular music, or play some of my favorite classical pieces. It is nice to look back ten years and say it was worth it! So my advice to those just starting out, stick with it. There is a great reward at the end of your journey.

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by malkin
Yikes, it's been a decade for me too.

I remember this fondly:
http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...n-a-room-full-of-people.html#Post1187223

Ah that’s how that thread got resurrected. Now I see! Very cool btw.

So have you continued to perform?

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Haha! Please let that thread go back to the depths!

I no longer work at the school for kids with autism, so I don't get to accompany them as a part of my paid employment. I started lessons, not too long after that. I play in my teacher's studio recitals and I get unbelievably nervous, shaking and sweating and hyperventilating. Why am I so nervous? Because the stakes are so low, I guess.

I like practice way better than performance.

Learner
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Add me to the yikes it's decade group. shocked

Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Its All in the Game- KJarrett trans.
Gnossienne No1 E.Satie

Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai upright shortage in Canada?
by DeeZee - 09/19/21 05:55 PM
Korg SV-1 Sustain Pedal problem
by Herwiberde - 09/19/21 02:46 PM
JoJo Siwa's Baldwin grand
by ShiroKuro - 09/19/21 01:50 PM
Opinions on the CA49 for classical piano music only ?
by GaiaImpact - 09/19/21 01:16 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,190
Posts3,133,566
Members102,770
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission