2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
36 members (ajf0016, cygnusdei, clothearednincompo, Beemer, Ben_NZ, Boboulus, 12 invisible), 836 guests, and 408 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2926553 12/24/19 09:01 PM
OP Offline
Hey!

I found a piano on FB market place for sale for under 100$. It's a Acrosonic painted white and it looks pretty cool as far as the woodwork.

I'm going to check it out. They say it holds a tune well. I will open it up and peek inside, and check all the keys. I already own a piano so this will be another one just for fun to have around.

I would be sharing a picture but there's no way to upload it to this thread.

Is there anything else I should look for and test on this piano?

Baldwin Hamilton Studio Upright 1963
http://jdsy.bandcamp.com
http://soundcloud.com/jdsy
Jasper82 #2926560 12/24/19 09:24 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
At that price you can't go terribly wrong if you plan to move it yourself. If you hire movers then the additional cost of moving may make it not a good buy unless you like the sound and it has no major problems. If it turns out to be untunable(you can't trust what other people say even if they are not intentionally lying) or have other serious problems you don't realize and you hire movers you could be out $100+ $350(moving) + $150(tech) + $200(removal). Some people would not feel it's worth having a second piano just for fun to have around unless they really liked it as furniture or a musical instrument. If you check the Piano Buyer link in the left column you can find an article about how a non tech can check a used piano.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 12/24/19 09:29 PM.
Jasper82 #2926567 12/24/19 09:52 PM
OP Offline
The seller said he has 3 strong sons to help move it. I will inquire about if it really does hold a tune.

So we'll see!

Jasper82 #2926579 12/24/19 10:52 PM
I enjoy tinkering around with old upright pianos. If you like it/them and can get it for cheap or free, and have the room, it is a fun hobby.

And, even it turns out not to hold a tuning, you would not be out a lot of money... what, the cost of a family dinner outing at a very nice restaurant? And, no acoustic piano on earth holds a tuning perpetually, although some certainly hold much better than others.

Good luck, and Merry Christmas! smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Jasper82 #2926626 12/25/19 06:29 AM
Online Content
By "holds a tune" I mean tunable. Only a piano tech can determine this. If the piano is severely out of tune when you listen to it, it could just need a tuning,

Jasper82 #2926827 12/25/19 07:07 PM
OP Offline
I plan on asking if they've tuned it regularly and if they have receipts of that. They said that all their children learned to play using this piano, so I am hoping I'll luck out!

Jasper82 #2926829 12/25/19 07:16 PM
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jasper82
I plan on asking if they've tuned it regularly and if they have receipts of that. They said that all their children learned to play using this piano, so I am hoping I'll luck out!

Don’t be surprised if they have not saved receipts for tuning 😊. I have had the same tech for years and do have no need to save receipts.

j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dogperson

Don’t be surprised if they have not saved receipts for tuning 😊. I have had the same tech for years and do have no need to save receipts.

Yeah I don’t keep receipts but have used the same tech for the last 10 years and I’m “a regular” who gets my piano tuned every six months so if I were gonna sell, I’d just tell the buyer to give him a call.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
The reason I’m old and wise is because God protected me when I was young and stupid.
[Linked Image]
Jasper82 #2926875 12/25/19 11:47 PM
Some piano tuners will write in pencil somewhere inside the piano, when they last tuned it. That may well be an old, outdated procedure nowadays. But I have seen the tuner name/signature/initials, along with the date they tuned the piano, on several pianos I've owned.

I actually think that is pretty cool; they were proud enough of their tuning to put their signature on it. smile

Also, FWIW, even if a piano hasn't been tuned in a long time, years in fact, that doesn't mean it will not hold a tuning. But it does mean it may take a few tunings to become stable again.

All the best!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Jasper82 #2926995 12/26/19 01:39 PM
One sign that it has some issues with tuning stability or loose tuning pins is if there are some notes that are wildly out of tune compared to the notes around it.

Steve Howard
Piano Technician
Owner of Howard Piano Industries
www.howardpianoindustries.com
Jasper82 #2927008 12/26/19 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by showard
One sign that it has some issues with tuning stability or loose tuning pins is if there are some notes that are wildly out of tune compared to the notes around it.

Good point. I've noticed that as well.

I used to grab my tuning hammer and mutes if I heard the least little inkling of a wayward unison. I've since matured beyond that fanaticism, at least to an extent.

Now, I tune my pianos on a more "as needed" basis, which equates to about 2 or 3 times a years. But I did gain a lot of experience cleaning up the wayward unisons often. And, my tuning hammer technique has improved to the point where my tunings are more stable.

But I do like a well tuned piano, unless I'm playing one of my old saloon pianos, of which some of my recordings have become quite popular on YouTube. smile

I recorded a new, original blues tune on my Baldwin R and posted it on my YT channel a little over a week ago, and it has over 1200 views already. Heck, maybe I can play a piano after all (at least a little). smile

Rick

Jasper82 #2927086 12/26/19 08:08 PM
When I got the 'ol Baldwin Hamilton studio upright a half dozen years back or so, I got all new felt to put under the keys, which leveled them much better and restored much of the action of the original capstan settings. Most actions haven't been that manipulated, but felts compress unevenly.

Here's another thought that some won't like- why not tune it yourself ?. That's what I have done to mine a handful of times since. It's the best way to actually get to know your piano- if the peg board has issues- you'll find out exactly where. Mine only has a peg or two with slight distortions that don't hold the tune as well. Get a good long wrench and be very careful. I jus use electronic tuners and compare octaves when the don't cover it. It's not perfect, but sounds better every time I do it and for a 1980, it sounds more than acceptable to practice on.

It's a cheap piano right? Here's your chance to make it a learning experience if you're physically up to it. I'm in my 60's and have a few times removed the actions from pianos- once with my current one to re-pin it, and I decided I'm at the end of my rope and can't lift that much any more.

No better way to train your ears than to tune your own piano IMHO.

Jasper82 #2927087 12/26/19 08:13 PM
OP Offline
Well I ended up spending my Christmas money already!

So I most likely won't get the piano unless they want to give it away.

Jasper82 #2927097 12/26/19 09:15 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

Too bad...

[Linked Image]
Jasper82 #2927106 12/26/19 09:48 PM

Don't worry, another cheapie or freebee will come along. It always does. In fact, if you contact the owners and tell them you don't have the funds to buy it, but would take it off their hands for free, they might just give it to you for free... who knows. smile

Good luck!

Rick

Jasper82 #2927109 12/26/19 09:55 PM
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Just remember that a free piano is similar to a free puppy... neither one are free for very long. Be sure you include regular maintenance in the projected cost. Even if you decide to learn to tune it yourself, there will be upfront costs for tuning equipment and supplies.

Jasper82 #2927143 12/27/19 01:09 AM
Shop around. Be patient and weigh the factors as much as you can, even if its pot luck- you'll get a feel for what's available- what's a deal and what's not- maybe even find a decent freebie. The more you CAN spend, the better piano you can find though generally. Craigslist is a good resource if you live near or in any large towns..

I enjoyed my own tinkering and reconditioning of the '80 Baldwin Hamilton Studio- and I was tempted to take others home afterward-but I have neither the space, nor does it center on my goal of becoming a better piano player-

That might even best be accomplished with a cheap used keyboard with less chance of it falling through the shack floor.

Last edited by harpon; 12/27/19 01:18 AM.
Jasper82 #2927150 12/27/19 02:02 AM
Originally Posted by harpon
I enjoyed my own tinkering and reconditioning of the '80 Baldwin Hamilton Studio- and I was tempted to take others home afterward-but I have neither the space, nor does it center on my goal of becoming a better piano player-

I've gotten to the point where I'd rather play the piano than work on it... but we can also have a balance of enjoyment doing different things, whether playing the piano, or tinkering with the insides of a very complex machine. The best of both worlds, perhaps? smile

As far as becoming a better piano player, that is certainly high on my list of things I wish to achieve. And, I do believe that everytime we sit at the piano and play, we can improve our playing to an extent. If nothing else, just polishing what little I already know how to play. smile

Playing the piano is a lot of fun
Whether you have many or just one
The journey is usually greater than the destination
And I can say that for sure, without reservation

It sounds really good, and helps relieve stress
Cause sometimes my mind is tired and in a mess
But I enjoy my piano playing, and entertain myself
And sometimes I like to play for somebody else

But even if our piano playing ain't so good
If we keep up, in time, it may sound as it should
At least to our own ears, heart, soul and mind
Until a better hobby or pastime we find

As for me, I'll stick with piano for now
Although I play other instruments anyhow
I like to play boogie-woogie and blues
Or other musical styles that I choose

I like to write my own songs and arrangements too
They come in different styles, both old and new
I've probably said enough with these rhymes and such
And sometimes I think I just talk too much... smile

Rick

Rickster #2927266 12/27/19 01:31 PM
j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rickster
Originally Posted by harpon

I've gotten to the point where I'd rather play the piano than work on it... but we can also have a balance of enjoyment doing different things, whether playing the piano, or tinkering with the insides of a very complex machine. The best of both worlds, perhaps? smile

As far as becoming a better piano player, that is certainly high on my list of things I wish to achieve. And, I do believe that everytime we sit at the piano and play, we can improve our playing to an extent. If nothing else, just polishing what little I already know how to play. smile

Playing the piano is a lot of fun
Whether you have many or just one
The journey is usually greater than the destination
And I can say that for sure, without reservation

It sounds really good, and helps relieve stress
Cause sometimes my mind is tired and in a mess
But I enjoy my piano playing, and entertain myself
And sometimes I like to play for somebody else

But even if our piano playing ain't so good
If we keep up, in time, it may sound as it should
At least to our own ears, heart, soul and mind
Until a better hobby or pastime we find

As for me, I'll stick with piano for now
Although I play other instruments anyhow
I like to play boogie-woogie and blues
Or other musical styles that I choose

I like to write my own songs and arrangements too
They come in different styles, both old and new
I've probably said enough with these rhymes and such
And sometimes I think I just talk too much... smile

Rick

I really don’t know this for sure, it’s just an educated guess, but I think if you work on your own piano you develop an emotional attachment that is far stronger than someone who merely play their own instrument. You kinda build a bit of sweat equity into that piano.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
The reason I’m old and wise is because God protected me when I was young and stupid.
[Linked Image]
Jasper82 #2927769 12/29/19 03:49 AM
"Sweat equity" or not, I'd play a better one if I could. The studio upright has rather hard hammers- several were split and re-glued together as best as possible. Florida is quite damp, despite being hot, the piano was sold originally in Daytona, and tuned for half it's life, before I got it in '14. It had a non-functional humidifier hanging inside.

And it has several bass strings that were spliced instead of replaced somewhere along the way.

The action is pretty good, but another re-pinning may be starting to creep up. I should play it more, but guitar is first and going great guns on violin in the winters now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sustain Pedal Use
by john fh - 09/25/21 02:13 AM
Insulted a Kawai salesman with straight talk
by Cristofori - 09/25/21 01:37 AM
Berg Sieben Früher Lieder and more
by MinscAndBoo - 09/24/21 08:47 PM
Free Books
by Larry Fine - 09/24/21 07:18 PM
Need help finding a piece (Streabbog?)
by cygnusdei - 09/24/21 06:51 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Our Free Newsletter for Piano Lovers!
The summer edition of our free newsletter
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,282
Posts3,134,985
Members102,816
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission