2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
98 members (Amadeus M., brdwyguy, anotherscott, ando, accordeur, 25 invisible), 1,081 guests, and 439 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
It's been awhile but I am going to build a computer to use for a development system. (After checking out the Dell Precision Desktops I thought I could build one for a lot less and make one to my specifications) The last system I built was a gaming system for my son over 5 years ago. So my question is in the US where is a good reputable source for parts? I've looked at Amazon, NewEgg and Tiger Direct but are there any other recommendations and does anyone have any recent experience with these vendors. I know it is a non DP question but there is the remote possibility (and I mean remote) that at some point it could be re purposed for PianoTeq. smile Thanks in advance for any help.

Yamaha NU1X, Sennheiser HD 599 headphones, dabling with PianoTeq
E
EPW Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
E
If you happen to live in a City that has a Micro Center I have always had good luck with them. They are 1/2 hour drive from my house. https://www.microcenter.com/

I use to go to Fry's Electronics too but the store is not what it use to be IMO.

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I've occasionally bought items from Newegg and B&H. Just for the occasional upgrade of a drive.

But my best supplier is Dell. I only have to buy one part from them, and I'm done. smile

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Newegg, B&H, and Amazon.

The return policy is the biggest issue today.... IMO. Oh and watch for sales... they all do have them.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 12/19/19 06:35 PM.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by EPW
If you happen to live in a City that has a Micro Center I have always had good luck with them. They are 1/2 hour drive from my house. https://www.microcenter.com/

I use to go to Fry's Electronics too but the store is not what it use to be IMO.

Mail order is the only option. There isn't any store that I am aware of other than Best Buy within an hour if not 2-3.

Originally Posted by MacMacMac
I've occasionally bought items from Newegg and B&H. Just for the occasional upgrade of a drive.

But my best supplier is Dell. I only have to buy one part from them, and I'm done. smile

All of my business systems have been Dell up until now. My current development system is a Dell Precision Laptop with a i7 processor, 3 TB of SSD storage and 32 GB of memory. I run just about everything in VMs using Hyper-V typically no more than 3 at a time. That system is currently 4 years old and starting to show it. Now as I look at my usage most if not all of my dev work is not done on site. 20 years ago most of the work was on site but not today so I am thinking of going with a tower system running the virtuals. Ideally I want 64 GB a i7 processor with 8 cores, a 512 SSD boot drive and 2 TB SSD to hold the virtual systems. As for graphics all I need is the ability to drive 2 monitors, no need for anything that powerful since I don't do any video or graphics work. When I go to Dell's site I need to go to the workstation class computers to get even close to what I want paying a premium for it and getting things like advanced graphics that I don't want and they are much more expensive than a custom system. Besides it will be a fun holiday project. smile

I haven't checked out B & H but will do so. Ideally I want to get this ordered before the weekend so I have it in before years end.

Yamaha NU1X, Sennheiser HD 599 headphones, dabling with PianoTeq
M
M
If you haven't bought everything yet, I'll vouch for Amazon and Newegg. Last full build 4 years ago from them, but a constant stream of parts from the big two. Hard drives, flash drives, a synology box, etc. Most of my life is digital, so I try to keep a lot of redundancy in my data. My wife would object if all our kids' pictures got wiped by a virus... I used to try to get my hard drives from Best Buy, after a single failure from Newegg a long time ago, but I guess Best Buy is never going to stock the brands I like, so I've gone back to mail order.

U1. VPC-1. Komplete Kontrol 61 1st gen. Pianoteq, Ravenscroft, etc. Two kids on Alfred.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai CA93 vs Kawai CA67
by talamundele - 09/21/21 11:57 AM
Viscount Physis V100 and G1000
by David Izquierdo - 09/21/21 10:50 AM
Yamaha CLP 575 VS Kawai Ca48
by Amadeus M. - 09/21/21 09:16 AM
Charles Walter
by Judise - 09/21/21 09:12 AM
Pronunciation .... lol
by cygnusdei - 09/21/21 07:45 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,223
Posts3,134,023
Members102,788
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission