2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
44 members (Burkey, BlizzardPiano, clothearednincompo, brennbaer, Doug M., Beansparrow, chopinetto, chopin_r_us, 9 invisible), 405 guests, and 577 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
You definitely don't want to get a mist or ultrasonic humidifier. Those leave a white powder coating. That's usually the mineral deposits in the water as it is dispersed into the air. It settles back on everything within a certain distance fo the humidifier. You want an evaporative humidifier. I use this model.

AirCare Humidifier

It can cover up to 2400 sq. ft. It has a built in hygrometer and multi-speed fan controls. It does have a wick. We live in the upper midwest (Indiana). Our climate is quite a bit colder and drier than yours in the winter months. Our water in this area is very hard as well. I have to change the wick about 3 times during the season, but it's really not that messy. It takes about 5 minutes to put in a new wick. I highly recommend this one.

Using a whole-house humidifier will make your home more comfortable and improve your health. We have fewer colds, and we recover much faster when one of us gets a cold. The colds we get aren't nearly as severe either.

Good luck!

Last edited by GC13; 12/20/19 10:21 PM.
L
L
Originally Posted by BruceD
Originally Posted by Leon T
Do they actually work? Have you guys noticed the difference?

I am not sure to whom you are addressing your question. My short answer is: Yes.

The Venta AirWashers work very well for me, and they are easy to fill and easy to clean. I have three (different sizes bought at different times, one has been running for more than 15 years!) In my 1600 square foot single-floor townhouse, on a dry winter's day, I can increase the humidity from 36% to about 45% in about eight hours. If I keep them running at lowest speed for 24 hours, the humidity will remain constant between 45% and 48%.

Of course, my experience is based on the mild west-coast climate. In colder climates where dry heating is used more extensively if not constantly, larger units might be required and may need to be run at higher speeds.

Regards,

Thanks a lot. That's a significant change! This is not particularly a problem around where I live so I never needed one. It's probably harder to maintain an acoustic piano in that type of climate.

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Lady Bird
Originally Posted by MarkL
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
According to the above, the evaporative kind is the way to go...

Ultrasonics produce a very fine white dust, it might not be too noticeable if you don't use it a lot, but it really shows up on a black piano. I already had one that I tried to use when I got my piano, had to change to evaporative.

I'd also suggest calibrating your hygrometer. I've never had one that read correctly, mine have been off between 3-6%. There have been a couple threads about calibrating them, but if you google "calibrate hygrometer with potassium carbonate", it's easy to do.

I would echo other posters comments about getting something easy to fill. I have a small one that requires removing the tank and carrying it to the sink, total pain even though I seldom have to fill it because we have a whole house humidifier. I would definitely try to get something you can fill with a bucket.

Yes ,but where does one buy Potassium Carbonate ?

Would one be able to buy a small or medium amount or would you end up with a huge bag ?
I think it may be toxic ,so have to be careful with children or animals .

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
MarkL
Just say it is a good idea and better than the salt test .Someone said you can damage your hygrometer by using the salt test .I had by then allready tried the salt test on mine
They are still OK ,but I decided not to try salt again.

Last edited by Lady Bird; 12/21/19 08:21 PM. Reason: Missing word
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
According to the above, the evaporative kind is the way to go...

Ultrasonics produce a very fine white dust, it might not be too noticeable if you don't use it a lot, but it really shows up on a black piano. I already had one that I tried to use when I got my piano, had to change to evaporative.

I'd also suggest calibrating your hygrometer. I've never had one that read correctly, mine have been off between 3-6%. There have been a couple threads about calibrating them, but if you google "calibrate hygrometer with potassium carbonate", it's easy to do.

I would echo other posters comments about getting something easy to fill. I have a small one that requires removing the tank and carrying it to the sink, total pain even though I seldom have to fill it because we have a whole house humidifier. I would definitely try to get something you can fill with a bucket.

Yes ,but where does one buy Potassium Carbonate ?

Would one be able to buy a small or medium amount or would you end up with a huge bag ?

It is sold on Amazon in as little as four ounces.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M

The link I posted is for a food grade product used in making wine, hopefully it is not toxic. The quantity listed is one pound, probably a good sized sandwich bag full.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L

The link I posted is for a food grade product used in making wine, hopefully it is not toxic. The quantity listed is one pound, probably a good sized sandwich bag full.

Thank you !

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
I would like to hear from Venta airwasher owners how much water they have put in in a 24 hour period. I would like to buy one but only if they are as effective as humidifying as a dedicated humidifier.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400
Schimmel SP-182T "I wish I had the room to keep you around"
August Forster 215
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Learux
I would like to hear from Venta airwasher owners how much water they have put in in a 24 hour period. I would like to buy one but only if they are as effective as humidifying as a dedicated humidifier.

Well, as I am sure you are aware, the Venta Airwasher comes in different capacities, hence different potential output, rated to humidify 200, 400 or 800 square feet depending upon the model: LW15, LW25 and LW 45, respectively). These may be older model numbers, perhaps replaced by newer models with different model numbers. I put one and a half gallons in each of 2 Venta Airwasher humidifiers LW25's in 24 hours when the house humidity drops below 40 percent, and perhaps another half gallon in a smaller unit, LW15. That is running them on their lowest speed, and that brings the humidity up to around 45% - 47%.

Two of them (one LW15 and one LW25) are in the living room (15 ft by 28 ft) and the third (also LW25) is in a hallway directly off the living room between two bedrooms.

Should the house get extremely dry and should I have to run them at their highest speed, I could nearly double the amount of water, but that's only very occasionally been necessary.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Without any help from either a humidifier or dehumidifier, the interior of our oceanfront home on Fogo Island (off the north coast of Newfoundland, Canada) would have an average humidity level of a whopping 80-90% during the summer months, (due to our house being situated just a few feet from the edge of the North Atlantic) and a terribly dry 17-25% in winter. (thanks to our electric heating) Pretty much any good-quality, large console-type humidifier will do a decent job of keeping a home comfy throughout the summer months, but finding a decent dehumidifier can prove very difficult.

After much trial and error, we eventually found the perfect humidifier for our approx 1,200 sq/ft, two-storey house. We ended up with the AIRCARE "Space-Saver Evaporative Humidifier" (model 831000) with a 6-gallon capacity. For the past two winters we have been able to easily maintain our entire home at a constant 50% humidity. We go through two replacement wick filters (Essick Air model EP9800) each year, from October thru March, along with a 32oz. bottle of Essick Air Humidifier Bacteriostatic Treatment. This large console unit is not exactly cheap, at about $200CAD, and the replacement filters cost $30 each, (a 32 oz bottle of treatment is 8 bucks) but it has indeed been money well spent. Every previous model we've ever bought was incapable of increasing the humidity level above 25-30% max.

So anyone requiring a quality humidifier that's capable of keeping an entire house in comfort, really can't go wrong with this one. It's rated at 2,700 sq/ft... which might sound like a bit of a stretch... but I'm sure that it could keep up in a home about twice the size of our humble little abode. The difference in the air quality in our house during the winter months is quite remarkable. We used to suffer from very dry, scratchy throats and sinuses; our skin would dry right out and be flaking, to the point that even continuous applications of moisturizing cream was ineffective. We would have to constantly be applying coconut oil to both dogs' noses, as they were always so dry/cracked/scaly. Since we got the new AirCare humidifier a couple years ago, our house remains so comfortable all winter long!

PS: we have never come across any "white particles" from using this humidifier.

https://aircareproducts.com/humidifier-831000.html

[Linked Image]

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
I have the same one and really like it. I modified it with a small aquarium pump and some tubing to continuously pump water on top of the wick so it is always saturated.(wasn't really necessary but I wanted a little project)

it is a great unit and recommend it.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400
Schimmel SP-182T "I wish I had the room to keep you around"
August Forster 215
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Well, I definitely won't be getting anything like the Venta. Besides the expense, it really is overkill for this climate, I think. For example, we're having a rainy day today and that's just enough to bump up the overall house humidity to a point where I wouldn't worry about doing anything.

So I'm thinking of something like the evaporative Honeywell unit (HCM-350) that was recommended in the article I linked to (and also gets high reviews everywhere I've looked). It's something like $70 and it seems like I could use it just during really dry and/or cold weather.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Z
Z
I recently bought humidifier from Xiaomi for my Schimmel. This one is evaporative and has no expensive filters, so it uses water only - no additional cost: Xiaomi Smartmi Evaporative Humidifier 2

I also bought Xiaomi Mijia bluetooth Temperature/Humidity Sensor that uses AAA battery and bluetooth, so it can measure temp and humidity wherever You want, even inside of the piano. It connects with humidifier and can turn it on and off whenever humidity reaches numbers that You define.

It is not so expensive and works flawlessly, even when the water runs out You get the message in Your phone to refill. You can also monitor temp and humidity and remotely turn on and off humifdifier through the phone app wherever You are, so it's quiet smart equipment for setup and forget smile

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
ZibiPL, thanks for the recommendation. Where did you buy that? I live in the US and I’m not seeing it for sale in any of the places where I usually shop.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I live in the US and I’m not seeing it for sale in any of the places where I usually shop.

Here's the sensor, here's the humidifier. If you're not familiar with banggood, it's a reputable Chinese site like amazon. I've bought stuff from them but the one downside is there's no way to know when you'll get the stuff. Sometimes they have it in a warehouse in or near the US, and it will come in a week or so. But if it has to come from china it can be much longer, and it's very hard to get any shipping estimates. I would guess returns would be a hair tear but I've never had to return anything.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
Originally Posted by camperbc
Without any help from either a humidifier or dehumidifier, the interior of our oceanfront home on Fogo Island (off the north coast of Newfoundland, Canada) would have an average humidity level of a whopping 80-90% during the summer months, (due to our house being situated just a few feet from the edge of the North Atlantic) and a terribly dry 17-25% in winter. (thanks to our electric heating) Pretty much any good-quality, large console-type humidifier will do a decent job of keeping a home comfy throughout the summer months, but finding a decent dehumidifier can prove very difficult.

After much trial and error, we eventually found the perfect humidifier for our approx 1,200 sq/ft, two-storey house. We ended up with the AIRCARE "Space-Saver Evaporative Humidifier" (model 831000) with a 6-gallon capacity. For the past two winters we have been able to easily maintain our entire home at a constant 50% humidity. We go through two replacement wick filters (Essick Air model EP9800) each year, from October thru March, along with a 32oz. bottle of Essick Air Humidifier Bacteriostatic Treatment. This large console unit is not exactly cheap, at about $200CAD, and the replacement filters cost $30 each, (a 32 oz bottle of treatment is 8 bucks) but it has indeed been money well spent. Every previous model we've ever bought was incapable of increasing the humidity level above 25-30% max.

So anyone requiring a quality humidifier that's capable of keeping an entire house in comfort, really can't go wrong with this one. It's rated at 2,700 sq/ft... which might sound like a bit of a stretch... but I'm sure that it could keep up in a home about twice the size of our humble little abode. The difference in the air quality in our house during the winter months is quite remarkable. We used to suffer from very dry, scratchy throats and sinuses; our skin would dry right out and be flaking, to the point that even continuous applications of moisturizing cream was ineffective. We would have to constantly be applying coconut oil to both dogs' noses, as they were always so dry/cracked/scaly. Since we got the new AirCare humidifier a couple years ago, our house remains so comfortable all winter long!

PS: we have never come across any "white particles" from using this humidifier.

https://aircareproducts.com/humidifier-831000.html

[Linked Image]

Just realized that I messed up my post. I wrote "Pretty much any good-quality, large console-type humidifier will do a decent job of keeping a home comfy throughout the summer months, but finding a decent dehumidifier can prove very difficult."

What I meant to say is the opposite... that "Pretty much any good-quality, large console-type dehumidifier will do a decent job of keeping a home comfy throughout the summer months, but finding a decent humidifier can prove very difficult."

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Since the humidity in my house has plummeted to 25%, I’m scrambling to try and get the humidity up. I’ve already ordered the Essick Aircare MA1201 and anxiously waiting for it to arrive. I know this will not be sufficient for my open concept townhouse so have also done additional research and think I’ll be installing some kind of whole home system, something like the Aprilaire 800 steam humidifier sounds good, except my handy guy is out of the country. I feel so helpless right now.

Kawai K-500
Casio PX-735 (in retirement)
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand
Since the humidity in my house has plummeted to 25%, I’m scrambling to try and get the humidity up. I’ve already ordered the Essick Aircare MA1201 and anxiously waiting for it to arrive. I know this will not be sufficient for my open concept townhouse so have also done additional research and think I’ll be installing some kind of whole home system, something like the Aprilaire 800 steam humidifier sounds good, except my handy guy is out of the country. I feel so helpless right now.

Please don’t feel helpless! You will work it out and your piano will have no permanent damage 😊

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by dogperson

Please don’t feel helpless! You will work it out and your piano will have no permanent damage 😊

I hope you’re right, that there will be no permanent damage, but I can’t help but think I’m killing my piano! I feel like running to a local store and buying 10 little humidifiers and surrounding my piano with them but I realize that’s just crazy talk. The humidifiers that will actually make a difference (heavy duty) are not in stock in store and I must wait for my online order. frown

Kawai K-500
Casio PX-735 (in retirement)

WeakLeftHand, you just might be pleasantly surprised! If your model is half as good as our Essick Aircare 831000, then you just may be in business. Your MA1201 has a smaller reservior than ours, so you might have to fill it up a couple times daily, but unless your townhouse is enormous, you should be able to get your humidity level back up to close to 50% in short order. We have been putting a full 6 (Imperial) gallons (or 7.2 US gallons) into the air every day... in fact our 831000 was able to raise the humidity in our two-storey home from less than 20% to over 50% in just 24 hours. Even 60+% is easily attainable, though we prefer to keep it below that. Let us know how you make out with your new humidifier.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
VST velocity level questions
by Animisha - 05/18/21 03:17 AM
James compares Kawai ES110, 520, and 920
by RinTin - 05/18/21 01:54 AM
Op. 61
by chopinetto - 05/18/21 12:34 AM
Please help me to identify this song
by patto81 - 05/17/21 10:09 PM
Kawai GE 1 vs Yamaha GB1K
by Lissplayspiano - 05/17/21 09:20 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,000
Posts3,094,771
Members101,546
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission