2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (ee375, astrotoy, AlkansBookcase, baronzo, 5/1/19249, Chris B, benkeys, Barry_Braksick, Dore, 10 invisible), 1,546 guests, and 448 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2924495 12/18/19 08:46 PM
J
Jt2nd Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I had an accident with an electric drill . It twisted my left thumb and the hand could not grip a door handle for a month .
Before the accident I could not reach an octave with the left hand. The right was fine. No problem .
After the hand had rested and recovered I noticed the reach was much greater . It reached an extra inch without me trying . Now it can reach an extra note above the octave .
Is this familiar information with piano players ? When I had tried stretching before the accident I just ended up with sore fingers .It was a happy result from the accident and maybe hands work better with a months holiday . smile

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I have NEVER heard of that! What a serendipitous side effect! I had surgery on my right thumb and I went through so much physical therapy because I was TERRIFIED of losing mobility in the joint and losing dexterity and/or reach. Fortunately I did not lose anything. But I definitely didn't GAIN anything!

I'm sorry you hurt yourself but I guess...congratulations too? laugh

Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
I guess the electric drill was created too late for Robert Schumann....

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Wow.

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
F
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
F
Gives a whole new meaning to piano drills...

If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country and Western!
Casio Celviano AP-650
S
S
Please tell us your doctor's medical explanation for why this occurred. What changed?

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
You must have stretched or torn a ligament.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
I guess here must go some warning like, don't try this at home, the trick was performed by a professional. smile

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I just told my dear friend, a professional pianist who struggles for an octave, that I’m buying her a drill for Christmas.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by FrankCox
Gives a whole new meaning to piano drills...

🤣

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
I work with a lot of power tools and this is one of my great fears, right behind losing an eye. Were you wearing gloves that got tangled in the bit?

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Guess you might call the accident a blessing in disguise...

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TomInCinci
I work with a lot of power tools and this is one of my great fears, right behind losing an eye. Were you wearing gloves that got tangled in the bit?

My brother is a corneal surgeon and he's told me there are many ways of losing eyes and that power tools barely make the grade. Losing an eye from falling is a lot more common.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Originally Posted by TomInCinci

My brother is a corneal surgeon and he's told me there are many ways of losing eyes and that power tools barely make the grade. Losing an eye from falling is a lot more common.

At one point, I worked weekends building furniture for myself in a professional cabinet maker’s shop. Why he let me work, alone, I do not know, I guess he trusted me. I dealt with a lot of spinning blades, in table saws, band saws, jointers, and planers. Drills were the least of my worries, although they can be dangerous. I wear glasses so I was not worried about losing an eye. I worried most about losing a finger. Cabinet makers are often missing a finger or two.

I’m happy to say that I’ve left that all behind me now.

Last edited by LarryK; 12/19/19 12:58 PM.
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
It's very easy to trim off a finger with a table saw. Even with a circular saw, I remain vigilant at all times.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Originally Posted by cmb13
It's very easy to trim off a finger with a table saw. Even with a circular saw, I remain vigilant at all times.

Roger that. I use both on a regular basis and there are no 2nd chances.

I have a buddy who lost an eye using a pneumatic impact wrench. It was a freak accident but it's not something I'll ever forget. My kids know that if I catch them using power tools without polycarbonate safety glasses they will getting a boot to the posterior. It's just one of my quirks, I guess. I used to play a lot of paintball and I've seen a lot of people take foolish risks in that hobby.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by cmb13

Circular saws are evil, table saws are far more civilized. It is far safer to push the wood into the blade than it is to push the blade into the wood. The culprit is kickback. In the shop where I worked, the guy who ran the service elevator had messed up his leg with a circular saw and walked around with a permanent limp. He did it on a job site. All the guys tied the blade guards up on their circular saws because they got in the way. Well, his kicked back and messed up his right leg.

If I were still in the game, all of my saws would have SawStop, which stops the blade when it detects that the current is not zero, meaning, there is a finger touching the blade. It is truly amazing technology.

Last edited by LarryK; 12/19/19 02:18 PM.
W
W
You can reach, but can you play? How is the strength and dexterity?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TwoSnowflakes
I just told my dear friend, a professional pianist who struggles for an octave, that I’m buying her a drill for Christmas.

grin

[Linked Image]
J
Jt2nd Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Let`s describe the drill first . Quite a chunky thing with SDS holding the bit .I use it to break up concrete sometimes . The left hand was holding the extra handle for stability .The hole in the wall was for the sink waste pipe. The bit was a tubular cutter. So the bit is turning clockwise. When it jammed , the drill went in the reverse direction. The handle scooped the thumb with it for just over half a turn before the switch released. So the thumb was pulled left which opens the hand . Afterward I was just glad it had settled down . I never asked a doctor about it .
There is no weakness in the hand now . I was surprised to notice the wider reach long after the hand was healed . It was not something I had checked at all .
I had another stranger accident helping at my daughter`s house some time ago . The builders had left a lot of grit inside the drainpipe. Just a one storey section. Just to clear it I lifted the pipe to get it clear. The right arm above and left hand down.As the pipe moved I realised it was full of water and in that instant the top pivotted over my shoulder twisting the arm backwards . It was amazingly fast and I still remember the pain . That made me howl . I must be made of rubber .
Did you notice I mixed up past and present tenses just like a football commentator .I have absorbed a bad habit .

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Disagreeing with teacher
by Mikester - 04/23/24 07:29 PM
Keyscape Midi Learning Issue
by markmasefield - 04/23/24 06:30 PM
La foule, key
by hast66 - 04/23/24 01:17 PM
RCM Assessment
by mspianoteacher - 04/23/24 12:55 PM
Roland LX-706 improvements
by engblom - 04/23/24 12:29 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,474
Posts3,350,539
Members111,692
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission