2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, 36251, benkeys, 9 invisible), 1,931 guests, and 319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Riddler Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R
Liz, a difficult piece, to be sure, but you are doing very well at it.

Thanks for sharing and for posting the link to the score. I love to read along.

Ed

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

P
Pianist685
Unregistered
Pianist685
Unregistered
P
AssociateX - Nocturne 6/2 (Clara Schumann) Oh, how beautiful and captivating! You are a very fine pianist and really mastering this difficult piece. I love your rendition. As per your invitation to add a comment on this work in progress, I wonder if it could be possible to play the left hand accompaniment softer than you are doing at the moment and whether you could end in pianissimo around 5:30-5:45 (though I have not had a look at the sheet music, I just felt it should end in pianissimo). I also had the impression this piece would sound even better if your piano had freshly been tuned. Please forgive me raising these "issues" because I got somewhat "spoiled" from what I can achieve with my VST and maybe I have forgotten what a real piano sounds like and where the threshold between playing softly and not getting a sound at all is on an acoustic instrument

#2922145 12/12/19 07:06 AM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pianist685
AssociateX - Nocturne 6/2 (Clara Schumann) Oh, how beautiful and captivating! You are a very fine pianist and really mastering this difficult piece. I love your rendition. As per your invitation to add a comment on this work in progress, I wonder if it could be possible to play the left hand accompaniment softer than you are doing at the moment and whether you could end in pianissimo around 5:30-5:45 (though I have not had a look at the sheet music, I just felt it should end in pianissimo). I also had the impression this piece would sound even better if your piano had freshly been tuned. Please forgive me raising these "issues" because I got somewhat "spoiled" from what I can achieve with my VST and maybe I have forgotten what a real piano sounds like and where the threshold between playing softly and not getting a sound at all is on an acoustic instrument

Just a comment that I actually do believe AssociateX's piano sounds well-tuned, just the temperament is slightly different than standard as if her tuner was seeking a slightly different effect.

Great job AssociateX. A challenging work well done! šŸ‘

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Here's my Christmas offering. Some'll have heard it before, it's a few years old, and I'm attempting to resuffect it and write it down. Finding it hard going, unfortunately. . .
Here it is . . .

https://youtu.be/o3DHtEci6Xs

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Peter, that was fun smile Thank you.

[Linked Image]XXXVII-XXXVIII
I pray, that tomorrow I may strive to be a little better than I am today - and, on behalf of everybody else, I give thanks for headphones.
Originally Posted by Riddler
Good morning, and I hope you are all looking forward to a happy holiday season!

Time to get the Piano Bar going.

My piece this month is Giant Steps. It was written by John Coltrane and is probably his best known (though not, I think, his best-loved) composition. It is notoriously difficult to improvise over, having 10 key modulations in 16 measures. The key changes are ingenious but are so unusual and disorienting that it has been called "a musical M.C. Escher paintingā€. Real jazz guys play it at breakneck speed, but my own neck being old and brittle, I opt to settle for a more leisurely, foot-tapping pace.

I am playing from a lead sheet, along with a backing track.

Ed

Giant Steps

Super stuff, Ed. Thought it was going to fly into "Sleigh bells" but loved the disharmonies that followed. Very subtle interesting stuff.

"[Linked Image]"
Originally Posted by BillM
Here are a couple of Christmas Songs I recorded this week. Iā€™ve recorded these a couple of times in the last few years and find it fun and interesting now that Iā€™ve turned 70 to see how much Iā€™ve improved/deteriorated over time.

Merry Christmas to those who celebrate and Peace on Earth to all!

Hello Bill! Long time no see . . .or hear for that matter. Super arrangements in your own inimitable style. Christmas is almost here . . . . too soon too soon!

"[Linked Image]"
Originally Posted by Tim Adrianson
Time Flies -- Jimmy Webb

Resubmitting recording of "Time Flies" (see above)

Lovely! Contented song with very interesting movements. Big sound from your piano.

"[Linked Image]"
Originally Posted by Tim Adrianson

Not heard you play this stuff before, the sophistication is something I'd love to aim for.
Tomorrow . . . . .

"[Linked Image]"
#2922343 12/12/19 07:41 PM
I do not have any new recordings of Christmas songs, but I wiped the dust off my old 18th century harpsichord and re-recorded this famous piece by Bach

Bach, Air from the Orchestral Suite No. 3, BWV 1068

This is just soooo adorable; Bach must have loved the harpsichord, it's so melodious and a worthy ancestor to the piano. How nice to have a real one twanging in one's drawing room . . .!

"[Linked Image]"
Originally Posted by Riddler
About the question of melody, a few thoughts.

First, whether a person hears Giant Steps as a melody or as a series of chords, may depend on the tempo. Coltrane actually played it much faster. I wonder if perhaps we experience things on different time scales, so that one person perceives a pattern as a melody, but another person does not, unless it is speeded up. I dunno.

However, there are lots of jazz guys who do not particularly like the song, and describe it as a mathematical puzzle rather than a beautiful piece of music. Then again, that has been said about a few of the great masterpieces.

And of course it's true - jazz guys don't always need a singable, memorable tune for improvising over. Great improvisers make beautiful music out of forgettable tunes that sound downright trite. I'll refrain from giving examples for fear of inciting a debate, but there are lots to choose from.

Anyway, thanks for the comments and thoughts.

Ed

3 blind mice

The bells of St Mary

Anything by Bach. . . .

"[Linked Image]"
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Peterws, that was so nice to listen to this time of year especially.

AssociateX, I enjoyed your playing. Nicely done,

Kawai NV10
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Like the Christmas tune, Peter. Makes me think of the movie a Christmas Carol. Perhaps I"ll watch the one with George C. Scott.

AssociateX - not familiar with that Nocturne. Sounds great! Thanks for the introduction.

ā™Æ ā™® ā™­ Ćø Ā° Ī” ā™© ā™Ŗ ā™« ā™¬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

#2922430 12/13/19 01:54 AM

Thanks everyone, and good ear on this, I will definitely try to end more pianissimo.my piano is temperamental, and although the piano is tuned, it was voiced differently by my tuner. The lower register sounds a bit harsher than I would like. Either way, I love this nocturne...It not too popular but it is listed as a bonus piece in one of the recent issues of Pianist Magazine (alas, no sheet music included, its just on the CD).

~~~~~~~
My Practice/Progress YouTube Channel :

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNj0Yha5exOWuJMTezV3t8Q
P
Pianist685
Unregistered
Pianist685
Unregistered
P
Originally Posted by peterws
Here's my Christmas offering. Some'll have heard it before, it's a few years old, and I'm attempting to resuffect it and write it down. Finding it hard going, unfortunately. . .
Here it is . . .

Thanks so much, Peter, now I am ready for Christmas. I particularly like the concert hall atmosphere of your recording.

#2922482 12/13/19 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by peterws
Here it is . . .

Thanks so much, Peter, now I am ready for Christmas. I particularly like the concert hall atmosphere of your recording.

I thought it sounded like they'd plonked the piano in the school gym . . . .amongst all the other junk!

Last edited by peterws; 12/13/19 08:50 AM.

"[Linked Image]"
R
Riddler Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R
Wonderful playing, Peter. Brings back memories of happy, lighthearted Christmases.

Ed

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

T
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
T
Svyatki -- Sergei Lyapunov

In reviewing some of my past recordings, I came across what I consider to be a really fine set of four pieces, entitled "Svyatki", which roughly translated is "Christmas Celebrations", by the lesser-known Russian composer Sergei Lyapunov. The four pieces are as follows:

1 Rozhdestvenskaya Noch" -- Christmas Night
2 Shestviye Volkhov" -- Procession of the Magi
3 Slavil'shchiki* -- Christmas Choristers
4 Kolyada* -- Christmas Singing

The difference between 3 and 4 is that 3 is singing "in place", whereas 4 is singing door-to-door.

"Svyatki" is in fact a Russian Christmas festival that runs from early to mid-January, and is analogous to the 12 Days of Christmas in Western Christianity. Lyapunov wrote this set in 1911 -- to me, it comes off as REALLY Russian in character.

Enjoy!

T
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
T
Svyatki -- Sergei Lyapunov

Hmmm -- it appears that the set of pieces didn't transfer from the site to here -- let's try it again.

Yep -- this one is OK!

Last edited by Tim Adrianson; 12/13/19 03:15 PM.
P
Pianist685
Unregistered
Pianist685
Unregistered
P
Wow, Tim, what a start into the weekend. My favourite piece of this set of 4 is #3, the only one I have played myself so far.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission