2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (Dalem01, Cheeeeee, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Dfrankjazz, Carey, 7 invisible), 2,075 guests, and 323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
Tony124 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Dear all,

I have been looking for a piano for my daughter for a while, previous threads here and here

Now I have found 2 choices that I think I would like to buy one from:

(1) A Sauter 118 with R2, from 1979, with 2 years warranty, very good condition, from a small piano shop, price 2400EUR, link. I am going to see the piano on Sunday with my daughter and hopefully a friend who is a pianist.

(2) A Pfeiffer 110, from 1980, good condition, not much played on, 1st hand from a private seller, price 3200EUR, link. I am going to see the piano tomorrow with a piano technician.

Which one would you prefer/recommend?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Now i don't really know much about the technical aspects of a piano, but as i believe both brands are really good.. to me this choice seems to be a clear case of: get both checked by a technician, and buy the one you like the best and/or is in the best condition.

Dear Tony,
Both are great contenders. I prefer Sauter, and I have played many new and old versions of both brands.
If I were you, I'd have a technician look at both of them. Pianists and teachers usually have strong opinions about what they *like*, but know nothing about the "innards".

Cathy Harl - former piano dealer and tech.
Currently making and designing jewelry.
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I echo catlady’s and U3’s response. I know very little about Pfeiffer pianos but we have several members of this Forum that own Sauter uprights and that. love their sound and quality upright action.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
P
Pianist685
Unregistered
Pianist685
Unregistered
P
Take the Sauter: it will have a Renner action and a better sound than the rather small Pfeiffer with only 110 cm. You get more for less money.

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Pianist685
Take the Sauter: it will have a Renner action and a better sound than the rather small Pfeiffer with only 110 cm. You get more for less money.

True the Sauter is taller and they are wonderful instruments which produce a beautiful tone.See what
the pianist thinks because condition is everything.
I hope it all goes well.

V
Online Content
V
Hello Tony !
As I have said to you in the previous thread that, since you live in Germany with a little research and patience you will find a good used piano from a private party. And here you come up with a Sauter and a Pfeiffer. Houurrah! I have to second Ladybird about the Sauter, if its turns out to be in good condition after being examined by a technician. If so you will not be disappointed. Good luck.

VuongMinh Duc
T
Tony124 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
update: yesterday I went to see the Pfeiffer with a piano technician. The piano is very little played on, everything inside looks almost like new. It has never been repaired since the original purchase. However there were 3 hammers where the felt was falling apart from wooden part. The piano technician said that this is a very top piano, however he is surprised that the hammer felt was falling of, and is concerned that the same problem can happen to the next hammers as well. It was a bit disappointing, I hope the Sauter will be better.

J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
If it's just the hammers and the rest of the piano is fine, why don't you get a quote for a new set of hammers?

YAMAHA Artist
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Try the Sauter you could be happily surprised.If this does not
work out then you could do as Joe80 suggests.It would push
the price up however.(having new hammers put on the Pfeiffer).
The hammers would have to be voiced as well.

T
Tony124 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by joe80
If it's just the hammers and the rest of the piano is fine, why don't you get a quote for a new set of hammers?

I did; it costs about 2000 EUR to replace the hammers.

J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
Which would bring the price of the piano to 5200 EUR, and the piano might not be worth that in the end.... Yes I see your point. For that money I'd rather get something else!

YAMAHA Artist
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
I have never heard of hammers on any piano falling apart ?
Some technician has perhaps been using a table fork to "needle "
the hammers?

V
Online Content
V
Lady Bird, you are right. I had an upright Steinway made in 1980 and almost 40 years later the hammers, despite being grooved from daily use, were still in good condition.

VuongMinh Duc
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi Tony,
I am familiar with that Sauter model (that specific vintage). Those are very good uprights; touch and tone are very solid.
Have an independent technician check the piano, just because of the age.
Regards,

San Mateo Piano
Kawai Piano Dealer San Francisco Bay Area
www.sanmateopiano.com
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
All the modern Sauter models I have ever tried have been wonderful ! (both here and in Europe )

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
. However there were 3 hammers where the felt was falling apart from wooden part.

To me this is an incorrect statement. Hammers don't "fall apart" from within the hammer structure. Or loosening from their shanks. It would mean the hammer glue is coming loose, something that can only happen if piano was in the orient or exposed to extremely high humidity. Perhaps there's something about the background of the piano not revealed to you. No shop I ever visited in Germany would ever sell such piano. Let's not forget all German manufacturers use and used only top grade German made hammers. Wonder who your tech was and what he really meant by making the statement. Something here doesn't seem quite right to me. But of course you still have the Feurich and Sauter as second options. Both great pianos. Hopefully their hammers are not "falling apart"
Best of luck

Norbert

Last edited by Norbert; 12/07/19 06:55 PM.

T
Tony124 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hi all,

we visited the shop to see the Sauter piano today. The piano looks in very good condition, under very close visual inspection it seems to me (a non-pianist) that everything is intact. There were one or two hammers which didn't return fully to the original position after playing, the salesman said that it might be caused by the low temperature in the shop (about 18 degrees celsius, isn't it dangerous for the pianos?). The salesman promised that they would do a small overhaul of the mechanics before shipping, which should take care of the above problem. And piano comes with 2 years warranty. That's from my part.

My friend who is a pianist and who also went the a very similar route to purchase a piano a few years ago came with us today. She said this is a very good piano, and an inspection of independent piano technician is not necessary.

My daughter played the piano for a while and also likes the piano.

So I have decided to buy this one.

Thank you very much for your comments, they are very nice, helpful and encouraging. They helped me a lot to make the uneasy decision.

T
Tony124 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by Norbert
. However there were 3 hammers where the felt was falling apart from wooden part.

To me this is an incorrect statement. Hammers don't "fall apart" from within the hammer structure. Or loosening from their shanks. It would mean the hammer glue is coming loose, something that can only happen if piano was in the orient or exposed to extremely high humidity. Perhaps there's something about the background of the piano not revealed to you. No shop I ever visited in Germany would ever sell such piano. Let's not forget all German manufacturers use and used only top grade German made hammers. Wonder who your tech was and what he really meant by making the statement. Something here doesn't seem quite right to me. But of course you still have the Feurich and Sauter as second options. Both great pianos. Hopefully their hammers are not "falling apart"
Best of luck

Norbert

perhaps my previous description is not quite right; I was trying to say that the felt part of the hammer is detached/loosened from the hammer shanks.

The piano technician explained that Renner during certain period used a "wrong" glue that didn't last as much as it should. The problem however showed up only after 20-30 years, and only under certain conditions. This piano is from a private seller, who never opened the cabinet. She inherited the piano from her grandma.

j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Congratulations on your new to you Sauter upright. A new piano in the home is a wonderful Christmas present. Please post pictures when the Sauter has been delivered. There are several Sauter owners here on PianoWorld who sing the praises of their Sauter’s voice and high quality construction and materials, so I’m confident your family will be thrilled. Congratulations again!

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission