2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
93 members (Amadeus M., anotherscott, ando, accordeur, 36251, Alfred La Fleur, 24 invisible), 1,078 guests, and 462 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
Anyone try to disguise a suspected L-mode by careful tuning in much the same way you would a false beat??
For me on the SS-d mentioned above it was a futile effort.
And as for the volume of the noise I’d guess about 1/8 that of the unison when played, maybe a bit more.
If it wasn’t L- mode I could call it a false beat but I can usually disguise false beats with reasonable success. Not the case for these notes and it just did not sound like the typical false beat.

RPT
PTG Member
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Here's the Baldwin patent: Space-wrapped strings for musical instruments

"U.S. Pat. No. 3,523,480 taught that another significant factor in the design of wrapped strings is the tuning of the longitudinal mode of vibration of the string. It was found that the tone quality of the instrument could be significantly improved by careful design of the string so that the frequency of the longitudinal mode of vibration would be tuned to a particular value in relation to the transverse or flexural mode of vibration of the string."

"Still another beneficial application of strings made according to the present invention has to do with pianos having scales designed to have the longitudinal mode of string vibration "tuned" according to the teachings of U.S. Pat. No. 3,523,480. Accurate tuning of the longitudinal mode can be achieved by controlling the spacing between adjacent turns with the core and the wrapping wire sizes remaining the same. The present invention not only makes it possible to longitudinally tune certain strings more accurately than before, but also makes it possible to longitudinally tune the strings in certain sections of the scale where tuning was heretofore either impossible or impractical. In connection with improved longitudinal mode tuning accuracy it should be explained that, according to U.S. Pat. No. 3,523,480, tuning of the longitudinal mode of string vibration can be achieved in a piano by selecting exactly the speaking length of the plain strings or, in the case of the wrapped strings, by selecting both the speaking length of the string and the relative mass of the wrapping of each string in relation to its core wire."

Etc.

Paul.

Last edited by pyropaul; 11/27/19 05:46 PM. Reason: added more info
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
if it were something inherent in the string design, one would think that it would have arisen decades before 1981.

Semipro Tech
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by BDB
if it were something inherent in the string design, one would think that it would have arisen decades before 1981.

One patent cited is from 1974 and another from 1956. It's clear you don't believe it. That's OK - there's many things you apparently don't believe in that others use everyday in their piano technician work.

Last edited by pyropaul; 11/27/19 05:57 PM. Reason: clarification
A
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by BDB

It probably did, but nothing was done about it.

B
BDB Offline
B
Connsidering that it would have affected every Baldwin made before this discovery, plus every other piano in the world, it either does not exist, or the effect is so small as to be negligible.

Semipro Tech
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Pianists often complain about "whistles" in wound and lower tenor strings that can be identified as L-mode. That surely makes them significant to some listeners.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
A
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Ed McMorrow, RPT
Pianists often complain about "whistles" in wound and lower tenor strings that can be identified as L-mode. That surely makes them significant to some listeners.

I've heard this in several new Kawai grands. It's a very distinct sound once you know what it sounds like. It's also possible that BDB has lost enough high frequency response at his age to not be able to perceive it. A lot of people think things don't exist when they can't perceive it. That's not his fault if that's the case - but it also means he can't rule out L-modes as a real phenomenon.

B
BDB Offline
B
Unless it is the exact same "whistle" on the exact same notes on every sample of the same model of piano, it is not due to L-mode or any other factor of the common design of a piano.

Semipro Tech
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Conklin showed at Baldwin that he could change the L-mode frequency of otherwise identical wound strings by altering the winding method slightly. That means you could have ostensibly identical models of pianos with differences in the way the wound strings sound.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
B
BDB Offline
B
That means that normal manufacturing anomalies account for the variation in sound, not part of the design of the string. It means that his method is likely to fail for some strings, no matter how they are wound.

Semipro Tech
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
I looks like you have a unique definition of manufacturing anomalie and design. Once one understands how an anomalie produces a result, it becomes design.

B
BDB Offline
B
If you cannot spell "anomaly," you undoubtedly have never looked up the definition.

Semipro Tech
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by BDB
If you cannot spell "anomaly," you undoubtedly have never looked up the definition.

He almost certainly meant "anomalies", based on the context. I'm sure you don't "believe" in L-modes anymore than you "believe" in partials (which you've stated many times you don't).

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Did the patent actually work?

I keep a spreadsheet and notes on every piano I service; the last two Baldwins I tuned prominently featured their "Synchro-Tone strings" among three or four features on the label under the lid. My service notes mentioned either poor quality or consistently badly matched bass strings in the bichord section, in particular. One was a studio, the other a console.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by DoelKees

Thanks for that - searching some of the citations in that article lead me to this Are phantom partials produced in piano strings? It mentions that sum and difference tones are produced by the case of the piano (amongst other things). Very interesting!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai CA93 vs Kawai CA67
by talamundele - 09/21/21 11:57 AM
Viscount Physis V100 and G1000
by David Izquierdo - 09/21/21 10:50 AM
Yamaha CLP 575 VS Kawai Ca48
by Amadeus M. - 09/21/21 09:16 AM
Charles Walter
by Judise - 09/21/21 09:12 AM
Pronunciation .... lol
by cygnusdei - 09/21/21 07:45 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,223
Posts3,134,023
Members102,788
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission