2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, 12 invisible), 1,807 guests, and 292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
OP Offline
N
Hello everybody!

I'm new around here and to the world of pianos and recently bought myself a Roland FP10 which I'm pleased with as an entry level digital piano. Unfortunately, mine might have a problem, although I'm not sure if it is actually a defective unit or not.

I will try to describe the problem as best as I can: when playing the keys (on Piano 1 tone), everything seems fine except for one black key (I think it's called F#, not sure, still learning everything) which produces a kind of metallic sound with it. I thought it was that key problem, but then when I try piano 2 and 3 tones, all the keys sound fine. When I go into Piano 4 tone, then it's a white key (G minor, I think) that comes with that metallic sound. So with this I excluded the problem being on the key and was thinking it could be the speakers, but the problem persists over headphones and through the computer 3.5mm jack.

I also tried to do a factory reset just in case, but the problem still happens. Meanwhile, I contacted Roland and, unfortunately, I've got an answer in Spanish (although I wrote it in English) and even after translating it seems like the person didn't fully understand the problem (or I don't understand their answer, either way, I ended up more confused than what I was).

I uploaded a small sample containing some keys including the problematic one: https://vocaroo.com/i/s1Hz3FowEICb

Can somebody tell me if there is in fact a problem? Should I be worried?

Thanks in advance.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Personally nothing jumps out at me about that note. The timbre of the tone changes for each key through the register and I think you've just picked up on that particular one and made an issue out of it. With a good pair of headphones and digital piano samples you can send yourself crazy obsessing over a particular notes voicing but imo no, your unit is not defective.

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
It's characteristic of old SN piano tone. If I use FP10 internal sound, I prefer Piano 2, since it's less audible there.

Ars non habet osorem nisi ignorantem
N
OP Offline
N
Thanks for the insights.

My lack of experience made me think that it could be a defect, but if it's a normal behavior, i'm more relaxed about it. Thanks again.

B
B
Hi Dears. I don't want to create another thread.
I've just bought Roland FP-10 and got confused with next. When I plug my Iphone headphones into 3.5 jack, the outcome volume is very very low. I also got other headphones from Phillips - same issue if plug it in into 3.5 output.. Even I set a MAX volume on the piano, it sounds in headphones like someone is playing in other room. Previously I had Casio Px-130 - never had any issues like this with neither Iphone speakers nor Phillips. Do you have same issue? Can you repeat it & advise how to fix it? I highly appreciate,

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
I use FP10 only as a piano MIDI controller, but I've just checked its headphone output and the Amp is the weakest I've ever met in Digital Piano (and I owned many).

Ars non habet osorem nisi ignorantem
O
O
Originally Posted by beriva
I've just bought Roland FP-10 and got confused with next. When I plug my Iphone headphones into 3.5 jack, the outcome volume is very very low. I also got other headphones from Phillips - same issue if plug it in into 3.5 output.. Even I set a MAX volume on the piano, it sounds in headphones like someone is playing in other room. Previously I had Casio Px-130 - never had any issues like this with neither Iphone speakers nor Phillips. Do you have same issue? Can you repeat it & advise how to fix it? I highly appreciate,

I fixed that by getting a set of good quality headphones - the ear bud types that I had weren’t producing the volume that I wanted. I had already known that this had been lighted with the FP-30 anyway, so I’m not surprised that the FP-10 is the same.

Learning to play. Consciously incompetent, which apparently is a good starting point. smirk
B
B
Originally Posted by OscarRamsey

I fixed that by getting a set of good quality headphones - the ear bud types that I had weren’t producing the volume that I wanted. I had already known that this had been lighted with the FP-30 anyway, so I’m not surprised that the FP-10 is the same.

Could you please advise some low cost solution headphones which will fix the issue? Although I did not plan to buy it it looks there is no other choice. Very disappointing

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

The impedance of the headphones are too high or the sensitivity is too low, for the amplifier built into the FP10. Either using low impedance, high sensitivity headphones, or employing a separate headphone amplifier, will address this issue.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
O
O
^^^

Tyrone beat me to it - as above.

I bought some Sony MDR-7506 which worked fine for me... BUT you might want it louder, plus the headphone amplifier built into the FP-10 may be different to the FP-30 (so best check).

If you have a piano dealership within reasonable distance which sells headphones... as well as the FP-10 you could audition them at the shop before parting with your money.

Learning to play. Consciously incompetent, which apparently is a good starting point. smirk
B
B
Originally Posted by OscarRamsey
^^^

Tyrone beat me to it - as above.

I bought some Sony MDR-7506 which worked fine for me... BUT you might want it louder, plus the headphone amplifier built into the FP-10 may be different to the FP-30 (so best check).

If you have a piano dealership within reasonable distance which sells headphones... as well as the FP-10 you could audition them at the shop before parting with your money.

Thanks.Well, actually this model has Sensitivity104 dB, Impedance 24 Ohm. My Phillips SHB3175 has Sensitivity104 dB, Impedance 32 Ohm. Pretty close. Thus it looks this solution won't play big difference.
I wonder if there is any cheap amplifier to fit the needs.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I wonder if there is any cheap amplifier to fit the needs.

There are headphone amps under $20 USD.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission