2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AlkansBookcase, AndyOnThePiano2, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, 11 invisible), 2,114 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
36 Marie J

Nice echo. Fits well into the mix. Such a pleasant sounding melody which you play kinda thoughtfully. As if something's on your mind . . . . Yes! That's what I'd call it!

37 Morning Prayers

Good work for 6m playing. It's onwards and upwards for you.

38 Hyena

A nice interpretation of your thoughts! The tune certainly has an almost nostagic feel to it. It flows nicely, perhaps a tad ore pedal . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
What a recital. So much good stuff to listen to. Well done all.

43. lvojnovic - Variations on a theme of Paganini

I love the brightness of the sound. Your playing is crisp and clear.

44. Qwerty53 - Little Song

I enjoy the slight pensiveness you give to this piece.

45. stumbler / Dave - Scarlatti Sonata in EMaj K531

Woah. What a fun piece, that was a fun listen. Thank you.

46. EdmondRhapsody - Waltz in A minor

You have properly captured this piece. A delight to listen to. I am looking forward to learning it myself.

47. Pathbreaker - Sonata Op 7, 3rd mov

So well played. Nice and crisp sound you have given it.

48. Sam S - Piano Sonata opus 26, 3rd movement

Awesome work Sam. There is so much going on there and you have done it credit.

39 mateusz Mati

A very atmospheric piece, given a modern feel by the reverb you gave it. Impressive.

40 Suni

You're sounding good. You're making good progress with your teacher. Keep it up, you're doin' fine.

41 purrblast

Impressive bach.. I see how long you been playing. Excellent!

42 Quasi una fantasia

This is lovely and relaxing. Spend whatever time you need to bring out that uniqueness which Gershwin is famous for! You're almost there anyway.

43 Ivojnovic

Sounds fluid, Certainly a good work out for your fingers. Good work here, and for future.

44 Qwerty53

I like this greatly, it's relaxed, Like you just got home from a hard day's work, and the meal awaits. And the wife, too of course with a smile on her face . . .. Well done.

"[Linked Image]"
Thank you to those of you who commented and provided feedback on my Rach Prelude piece. It is indeed a terribly difficult piece but one that I loved to obsess over because it really is just a great, fun piece to play. I love the ups and downs of that piece and every time I play it, I feel like my entire hands and head get a good workout. I managed to listen to 80% of the pieces submitted so far and am enjoying them all - I am only going to comment on a few that grabbed my attention - there are a few pieces I am just not really familiar with due to them either being arrangements of more complex or obscure works, or classical pieces I never really listened so I have no frame of reference to work from to provide meaningful feedback.

I feel like every comment is "nice"! or "lovely" or "very well played" and so forth, which is true for 90% of the entries in this recital. Without naming specific pieces there were only 4 or 5 submissions which were clearly at its unpolished stage (besides my own hahaha!) or were painful to listen to because the tempo was either too slow for my liking, or the rhythms/dynamics were just..ODD. (and like most mothers tell their kids, "if you cant say anything nice, dont say anything at all" kind of deal, right?)

So without further ado:

01. earlofmar - Sinfonia No 8 I admit I am not familiar with this piece but I felt you brought out the intricate elements that are so beautiful in it. The tempo seems a little on the slower side but not slow enough that it feels like your dragging the piece along, it sounds very melodic and I hope to hear more submissions in the future!!

02. SMA55 (Shepherd) - Impromptu in A Flat Minor Op 90 No 4 I dont know what to say except this sounded almost like a professional recording and every phrase, cadence was wonderfully executed. Schubert is such a tough composer to play well, lots of little twists and turns in his music when you play his Impromptus. I've worked on the 1st and 3rd Impromptus of this Op 90 set- they are all gorgeous. I will listen to this for the 3rd time because its just so good!

04. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Prelude in E Minor (Op. 28, No. 4) the challenge w/ this piece is portraying the somber, slow mood of this piece. I felt you started this well and about 3 measures in, wanted to rush the notes somehow. Pedalling was a little erratic it seemed, tempo in some spots could have been slower. I think this is a great start to this, and there is always so much to do in terms of interpretation. When I listen to various recordings, its amazing how different one can interpret some parts of it. I enjoyed the last 3-5 measures, you slowed down to a diminuendo which was great.

05. JJHLH - Mad World I love this song, thank you for sharing!

06. Ted Jones - Improvisation - concluding 6 minutes of 60 please share more of your works, you clearly are one of the more advanced players in our forum and I enjoy hearing your playing!

23. PianogrlNW - Milonga Surena I loved the flowing like manner of your playing and fluency of this piece. I am intrigued and now want to get the sheet music and dabble with it myself !

27. dumka1 - "April" (Snowdrop) from "The Seasons" You played this very well, if I had to give you technical feedback, my only suggestion would be to bring out the RH just a bit more in a playful way in the beginning with a slight accent on the top note,LH goes 'da da da' but should be even in some measures, sometimes you did "da DA da", and then da da DAH,," I enjoyed the runs on this and I could not hear any mistakes if there were any!!

29. timmyab - Kinderscenen pieces 1-4 Love this! Dynamics, tempo, rhythm were spot on. Looking forward to hearing the rest of the set if you do submit in the future!

34. facdo - Sonatina in F Major - Op.36 No.4 I subscribed to your channel a while ago and I have to say, I am absolutely amazed and impressed with your progress. Sonatinas are hard to play very well and to a level of polishing and refinement that the score demands. I played this piece in high school and likely made a ton of errors. You played this cleanly and crisply with perfect articulations. I felt you really played very thoughtfully and expressively here. I am looking forward to hearing your play some Impromptus, Sonatas, etc!!

48. Sam S - Piano Sonata opus 26, 3rd movement I am not familiar w/ this piece so cant offer an opinion re: technical or interpretive feedback but I enjoyed hearing this and I think you played this very well, I can hear the articulation clearly and the tempo is just right, not too fast or slow. I love the contrasting dynamics!

Last edited by AssociateX; 11/19/19 07:36 PM.

~~~~~~~
My Practice/Progress YouTube Channel :

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNj0Yha5exOWuJMTezV3t8Q
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
42. QuasiUnaFantasia - Prelude no. 2
How I love this piece! I tried to play it many years ago, but was never able to make the left-hand parts sound legato. You must have put some effort into your pedaling technique, because yours sound just right. Well done!

43. lvojnovic - Variations on a theme of Paganini
Your hard work has paid off handsomely! That was a highly credible performance of a truly challenging work! Well done!

44. Qwerty53 - Little Song
Excellent performance, including that 5/4 thing. Had you not mentioned it, I would have interpreted the extra beat as a pause. When I am playing from a score, and come upon a measure with a different time signature, I have to add two or three extra beats to allow time for some foul language! But you carried it off gracefully. Well done.

45. stumbler / Dave - Scarlatti Sonata in EMaj K531
Superb! I really liked this piece, and was impressed by your ability to execute at this tempo!

46. EdmondRhapsody - Waltz in A minor
Superb! A masterpiece played masterfully!

Ed

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

Originally Posted by Gary001

09. ralph L. - wish upon a star
Quite an interesting piece, it feels like it'd be right at home in an asian RPG.
What happened at 1:58? I assume it's two separate attempts joined? It's a bit jarring but the piece was well

Thanks for listening. Yes, actually it was three pieces joined together. As I mentioned in the intro, sorry that I had to put pieces together, nowadays I don't get much time practicing smile

G
G
39. Mateusz 'Mati' Papiernik - Keyboard Sonata in D minor
Beautiful rendition of one of my favorite sonatas! I'm looking forward to listening to your recording of Sonata 27!

38. Hyena - K545 Second Movement
I enjoyed your melancholic version very much, well done!

37. Lazarus - Morning Prayer
It is a rather difficult piece. I'm glad that you enjoy working on it. You did a solid job with it. Now you could try to bring out the melody by accenting the upper notes in the chords.

36. MarieJ - Uno
You played this beautiful sad piece with great taste.

34. facdo - Sonatina in F Major
That war very lovely! Your hard work really shows. Great clearness, accuracy, dynamic range. It's perfekt!

31. Ganddalf - Sonata g-minor Hob.XVI no.44 1st movement
This sonata is new to me. I liked it very much and added it to my to-do list. You played it very well. I don't think your have any problems with 3th or 4th fingers. Your 32th(?) notes and ornaments are very accurate and even, there are only a couple of places where they sound a little rushed.

30. Mosotti - Theme From Love Story
Nice arrangement, very well played.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
10. Kevin- It's always a joy to listen to these pieces and you do not disappoint. Beautifully played. Smooth and delightful.

12. Peter-
Always a joy to hear your newest creation. Man, you really do get better and better. This one is REALLY good!

33. Associate x- Man, that is such a tough piece. I can see you have a ways to go but still.... really impressive playing.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Qwerty53
Beautiful piece, well played, lovely sound from your piano: a beautiful recording. I didn’t realize that I like Scarlatti, but now I do!

Thanks and wonderful to hear that about Scarlatti smile There are so many gems within his catalogue of works!

Originally Posted by MarieJ
More wonderful Scarlatti. Well recorded and nicely played, with very impressive trills.

Thanks Marie! I'm glad you liked the trills. It's something I'm never really happy with.

Originally Posted by Sam S
I'm glad you learned it and shared it with us, Excellent! We're having a Scarlatti recital next year - go look in the Themed Recital subforum.

Now, having commited to learn the next one, I have to go to work! smile

Originally Posted by piano_primo_1
Quite a piece , reminds of a sacred chant at least in the beginning of the piece. or so..... excellent recording and dynamics.

Never thought of it that way, but I hear you! Thanks!

Originally Posted by KevinM
Wonderful, just wonderful. I loved it.

Thanks Kevin!

Originally Posted by Peyton
Mateusz- Absolutely Lovely!! You play it with command and feeling. What else can you ask for?

Thanks Peyton! It means a lot coming from you!

Originally Posted by peterws
A very atmospheric piece, given a modern feel by the reverb you gave it. Impressive.

Thanks! Actually, I think I overdid the reverb a little. It was one of my very first attempts at recording the piano in quite a small room and I think it could use a bit less of that ;-)

Originally Posted by Greta99
Beautiful rendition of one of my favorite sonatas! I'm looking forward to listening to your recording of Sonata 27!

Thanks, Greta! I'm looking forward to it too, I've just printed the sheet music :-) I love that sonata and I'm really curious what challenges it will bring.

Thanks to you all for listening to my recording of this piece. I'll try to post comments on other recital pieces soon, as I had lots and lots of joy listening to all of them!

Mateusz Papiernik
https://maticomp.net
"One man can make a difference" - Wilton Knight
Kawai CN21 (digital), Henryk Yamayuri Kawai NX-40 (grand)
45 Stumbler

Oh my! Sounds darned hard. Too hard and fast for me. I would think a tad slower would sound more digestible. I sometimes think the pros play so fast, to show they can. We don't have to. Or sometimes care to.

46 Edmund Rhapsody

Cleanly and carefully played. No mistakes detected, but some flexibility of tempo and volume would be welcome.

47 Pathbreaker

Sometimes you hear a really nice piece, new to me. So tuneful, melodious, light, sweet. Needs beefing up a little more on the heavier bits! But never mind. It sounded good to my ole ears . .

48 SamS

Two Beethoven in quick succession. You certainly have a lot of resonance in the Bechstein. This seems a sombre place; you give it a lot of character and expression which well suited the instrument and it's age! I wonder if your piano has played this before . . .

A most excellent recital. Now I'm not too qualified to comment technically, but I like to encourage all who come here. All levels, bearing in mind there's always someone better either here or elsewhere. Aged 9 . . . .Kinda puts in in perspective. Keep plugging away. the work is more important even, than the result imo. It's priceless and beneficial to all.

Last edited by peterws; 11/20/19 07:04 PM.

"[Linked Image]"
S
S

I'm slow, but here are a few more comments.

07. JoBert - Abschied (from Waldszenen, Opus 82) This is some of my favourite Schumann. What a sweet farewell.

08. Peyton - Metamorphosis 4 Quite a work out. I'm not overly familiar with the piece, but I'm impressed with your playing. It sounds dramatic and stormy.

09. ralph L. - wish upon a star Gentle with a bit of melancholy, I enjoyed this.

10. KevinM - Songs Without Words - Lieder ohne Worte 19.2 Well done. I like the way you accent with your dynamics, very tasteful.

11. Claudemir Medeiros - River Flows in You Good control of your two hands, you bring out the melody perfectly. A pleasure to listen.

12. peterws - Jus' Wonderin' Peter, I always enjoy your compositions. You have an identifiable style. But, what's with those bluesy bits? Just kidding, I like them. I like how you make things rhythmically interesting.

Roland RD-700NX

[Linked Image]

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member
01. earlofmar - Sinfonia No 8
I'm not surprised, because it's you, but wow! I think that was amazing. Did you learn other sinfonias before this one or was it your first? It sounds crazy difficult, even if you play it so smoothly. I kind of learned no. 11 this year, but I guess I'll stick to the inventions for a while longer!

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by sinophilia
01. earlofmar - Sinfonia No 8
I'm not surprised, because it's you, but wow! I think that was amazing. Did you learn other sinfonias before this one or was it your first? It sounds crazy difficult, even if you play it so smoothly. I kind of learned no. 11 this year, but I guess I'll stick to the inventions for a while longer!

thank you sinophilia for your kind comment...you know me so well smirk

this was my first Sinfonia and it was a long time in the making to get to this point. I put the piece down several times, and when I would come back I was a little less intimated by it. I also learned Sinfonia No 2 (a personal favourite) but still can't get the long trills quite right. I was learning No 15 until recently but have put that to one side for the moment for newer pieces. Return to your Sinfonia after a period of rest and hopefully, as I found, it won't be so difficult.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
15. Greta99 - Feuille d'Automne

Greta, this piece is new to me. I immediately liked it the first time I heard it. I’ve listened to this piece many times now, your rendition and several others on YouTube, I like yours the best, it’s beautifully played. Thank you for introducing me to this lovely piece, I’ve added it to my ever expanding list of pieces I want to learn. I’ve since bought a couple of Rebikov books, thank you for helping to expand my musical world.

It’s never too late to be what you might have been. -George Eliot
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Thank you Sam for organizing the recital. And thank you Monica.

Thank you to all contributors. I really enjoyed listening to all your pieces. Each time it is a treat that I am looking forward to.

And finally, thank you to all of you who commented on my submission. It is appreciated and I thank you for you compliments!

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
S
S
Here are a few more pieces upon which I felt inspired or otherwise motivated to comment:

27. dumka1 - "April" (Snowdrop) from "The Seasons"
Nicely played.

29. timmyab - Kinderscenen pieces 1-4
Very well done—and confidently so.

30. Mosotti - Theme From Love Story
Pretty nice arrangement and well played. I would have liked to have heard this with the better range of dynamic options available on a real acoustic piano. But we get what we get. Good job.

33. AssociateX (Liz) - Rachmaninov- Prelude Op. 23 # 5 (G min)
You’ve got some power in them hands and arms! And some repetition speed, too. Well suited for Rachmaninov. Nice work!

34. facdo - Sonatina in F Major - Op.36 No.4
It’s obvious that you’ve put in a lot of work on this piece. Good job.

38. Hyena - K545 Second Movement
While I realize that you like the tempo of this movement to be slow, I myself think that you’re playing it TOO slow. (Mozart wrote “Andante” for this movement, but you’re playing it at more of a Largo tempo.) Otherwise I think you played this competently. Nice work.

39. Mateusz 'Mati' Papiernik - Keyboard Sonata in D minor, K. 213 (L. 108)
Well done!

47. Pathbreaker - Sonata Op 7, 3rd mov (to do) Very nice. I think you’re well on your way to having an excellent performance. I’ll look forward to hearing the final product in the Beethoven recital.

48. Sam S - Piano Sonata opus 26, 3rd movement
I think you did a great job with this piece and played it very expressively. You’ve obviously spent quite a bit of time on learning the articulations in this piece, and it shows. This was a compelling performance—I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Thanks guys for the feedback. I been tryin' to play some of my earlier submissions, like Schumann's "Italian sailors" from op 68, is it? I don't think I can, to the same degree anymore. But I'll give some a try for the next few recitals. See how it goes!
A natural age related deterioration, or . . . .maybe even . . .no, no, it can't possibly be . . .an improvement!
Before and after. That'll be fun.

And if the results aren't pleasing, I'll blame the piano. smile

Last edited by peterws; 11/22/19 10:59 AM.

"[Linked Image]"
S
S
Looks like I owe another thank you note since I wrote my last one. This one goes to MarieJ, Gary001, and AssociateX for your kind comments concerning my recording of Schubert's Impromptu in Ab Minor op90 No 2. And thank you also to sinophilia for your kind comment on my YouTube channel recording of Chopin's Waltz in C# Minor Op 64 No 2. Also thank you to all of the recital participants for their enjoyable performances. And last but not least, thanks to Sam S for his selfless efforts at managing this recital!

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
22. barbaram - Gavotte in G Minor BWV 822

Thanks for playing this lovely Bach Gavotte. You obviously love playing his music as much as I do. I was not familiar with this collection of 8 pieces in BWV 822. You inspired me to search for the sheet music and learn some of them. Can you give me the edition of the sheet music you used. I found one free version on PDF but without any notations or playing suggestions. Your playing is impressive.

S
S
02. SMA55 (Shepherd) - Impromptu in A Flat Minor Op 90 No 4 (to do)

The piece was beautiful, and although it is longer than most performances here, I didn't want it to end. So, I listened to it in repeat mode over and over. Today is my birthday, and I deserved it smile

Thank you so much for your brilliance. I obviously can't hear any mistakes you mention, so I am going to pretend you were joking smile

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission