2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
72 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 13 invisible), 2,157 guests, and 343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 41 of 81 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 80 81
I
I
Good luck! Theory exams are difficult, but you’ll do great!

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I'm still looking for hints/suggestions on how to improve in ear training! I have 5 weeks left before my exam to crank on ear training smile

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Dr. Rogers
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist
^^^ Do that. Don't spend all your time on just exam pieces. Right now, you should only be playing Christmas music laugh

I agree completely agree with your first two sentences. Playing only exam pieces would be extremely unhealthy.

However, I can't agree with that last sentence. I absolutely despise Christmas music with ever fiber of my being. Heck, I despise Christmas and Thanksgiving and all of these nasty holidays with every fiber of my being. I hate these !%@#(*& !@#$-!%^& holidays.

Grade 6 music theory exam tomorrow. A little worried about figured bass and composition. I know what to do, but I don't know if I can pull those off under pressure.

I think I'll just keep doing what I'm doing! There is SO MUCH great piano repertoire at the mid-late intermediate/early advanced level, I could just keep going for years and years. I have so much sheet music, compilations, etc. I probably don't need any more for about 5 years, LOL.

And ditto, I'm not crazy about Christmas music. The only piece I really like is "Oh, Holy Night," which, yes, I have the sheet music for. I played it the last couple years.

Good luck on your exam!!!!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

Cunningham Studio grand; Yamaha CLP-645 Clavinova
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I'd much rather run naked through the woods on the solstice like my father.

Goodness, this sounds like me, as well, LOL!!!

Cunningham Studio grand; Yamaha CLP-645 Clavinova
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
I'm still looking for hints/suggestions on how to improve in ear training! I have 5 weeks left before my exam to crank on ear training smile

The issue I find with ear training is that improvement is slow, and does not respond to over practice, therefore cannot be rushed. Associating intervals with the start of songs is the only trick I know off, after that its lots of scale singing.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by earlofmar

The issue I find with ear training is that improvement is slow, and does not respond to over practice, therefore cannot be rushed. Associating intervals with the start of songs is the only trick I know off, after that its lots of scale singing.

If students listen to lots of music (all kinds of good music, preferably classical) - which of course they do whistle - and listen intently - they can easily practice their aural skills on them. No matter what level they are at.

For instance, rhythms and time signatures: try beating time to the music after ascertaining whether the music is in duple, triple or quadruple time (simple or compound). Then listen to the melody and figure out what the intervals are between the notes (afterwards, play the melody by ear on the piano to check to see whether you got them right). If you have to sing or whistle back the melody played by the examiner for your exam, practice doing the same with the music you just heard. And so on.

When I was a student in my new high school, I was having fun practicing this sort of stuff every morning, because at morning assembly, we sang hymns. All were initially unfamiliar to me, so I tried to keep them in my mind by 'singing' the melody repeatedly (mentally) until I could get the chance to write them down on paper: first the intervals, then eventually, the notes themselves on staves (which I drew on blank paper using a pencil and ruler). I usually used C major for them, no matter what the original keys were - which I didn't know, as I don't have perfect pitch.

As I learnt more harmony, I began to try to ascertain the harmonic progression of the hymns as I listened and sang, and later try to write down the whole hymn in SATB form, checking it out when I got to a piano after school finished.

For instance, try to ascertain the intervals between the notes of this famous aria. (And is it in duple, triple or quadruple time? - beat time to it):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHAjOMp_2sg

If music be the food of love, play on!
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
(And is it in duple, triple or quadruple time? - beat time to it):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHAjOMp_2sg[/quote]
Well, this is especially something that doesn't work for me. The RCM practice material gives me a short piece and then asks me to to determine the time signature. WTF. You'd have to be here to see my deer-in-the-headlights look.

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist
^^^ Do that. Don't spend all your time on just exam pieces. Right now, you should only be playing Christmas music laugh
I agree completely agree with your first two sentences. Playing only exam pieces would be extremely unhealthy.

However, I can't agree with that last sentence. I absolutely despise Christmas music with ever fiber of my being. Heck, I despise Christmas and Thanksgiving and all of these nasty holidays with every fiber of my being. I hate these !%@#(*& !@#$-!%^& holidays.

Bah humbug!

Grade 6 music theory exam tomorrow. A little worried about figured bass and composition. I know what to do, but I don't know if I can pull those off under pressure.

Good luck on your Grade 6 theory exam! 🤞 🍀

And I am the opposite. Christmas is my FAVORITE holiday by far. Love the music and fun!!

[Linked Image]
(And is it in duple, triple or quadruple time? - beat time to it):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHAjOMp_2sg

Well, this is especially something that doesn't work for me. The RCM practice material gives me a short piece and then asks me to to determine the time signature. WTF. You'd have to be here to see my deer-in-the-headlights look.

(Guys, please correct me, if anything seems weird in this post. I don’t want to leave incorrect information in an exam thread.)

Hey Tyrone, I struggle with this stuff too, especially intervals. Rhythm is slightly easier for me, and here’s is what I try for time signatures. I tap something (fingers, toes, feet, or whatever) based on the pulse I feel. Based on that tapping, and the structure of the first few bars in this example, I eliminated triple time. So that left duple and quadraple. Anyways, I thought it was quadruple, when I listened. But after checking I found that it is in duple. crazy Now I can’t remember why I thought quadruple at that time, as I was tapping in duple. I tap like that for quadraple also, so I'm forever confused between the two. Hopefully, someone will explain how they figure out the difference between the two, and also their thought process in general.

Also, is there any way of knowing the marking criteria within the aural tests in RCM? Sometime back, I came across a video on ABRSM aural tests. The instructor mentions at around 0:30 that for ABRSM, a distinction is given for “Confident” responses, while 12-14 marks for “Cautious” responses. He also mentions that an examinee will get 0 marks only if nothing is attempted, and 6-8 marks for just trying. There is no slot for 1-5 marks.

I don’t think you are taking these exams for marks. The idea I get is that its something that motivates you to learn better. Nevertheless, I think having some clarity on the inner mechanisms of their marking criteria can still help. Here’s the video I was thinking of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPRgx6ifWrY

Last edited by Tech-key; 11/01/19 10:23 PM.
B
B
Originally Posted by Tech-key

Hey Tyrone, I struggle with this stuff too, especially intervals. Rhythm is slightly easier for me, and here’s is what I try for time signatures. I tap something (fingers, toes, feet, or whatever) based on the pulse I feel. Based on that tapping, and the structure of the first few bars in this example, I eliminated triple time. So that left duple and quadraple. Anyways, I thought it was quadruple, when I listened. But after checking I found that it is in duple. crazy Now I can’t remember why I thought quadruple at that time, as I was tapping in duple. I tap like that for quadraple also, so I'm forever confused between the two. Hopefully, someone will explain how they figure out the difference between the two, and also their thought process in general.

Duple and quadruple can be easily confused, but if every other beat feels like a strong beat, it's more likely to be duple.

I basically just 'conduct' the piece using my right index finger (when my hand is just hanging by my side) while the music is playing, perhaps nodding my head in time with the beat at the same time (doesn't matter if the examiner notices - but don't do what these guys do at 1:48 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thyJOnasHVE wink ) and if I'm not sure, try conducting in two-time, then switch to four-time to see which fits better.

If music be the food of love, play on!
Originally Posted by bennevis

Duple and quadruple can be easily confused, but if every other beat feels like a strong beat, it's more likely to be duple.

I basically just 'conduct' the piece using my right index finger (when my hand is just hanging by my side) while the music is playing, perhaps nodding my head in time with the beat at the same time (doesn't matter if the examiner notices - but don't do what these guys do at 1:48 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thyJOnasHVE wink ) and if I'm not sure, try conducting in two-time, then switch to four-time to see which fits better.

Thank you for answering. Will keep this in mind! And also 1:48, haha laugh

Think Twice, Play Once
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
I did it. I signed up for my first RCM exam. It will be Preparatory B. Today was the last day to register. I had originally wanted to do the April sitting but realized I was putting it off for no good reason due to fear of failure, or more accurately, fear of not doing as well as I want to. I thought I was over that crap, but I guess a bad upbringing stays with you for life. Sigh.

Kawai K500
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
congratulations for taking the big step WeakLeftHand.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand
I did it. I signed up for my first RCM exam. It will be Preparatory B. Today was the last day to register. I had originally wanted to do the April sitting but realized I was putting it off for no good reason due to fear of failure, or more accurately, fear of not doing as well as I want to. I thought I was over that crap, but I guess a bad upbringing stays with you for life. Sigh.

Congrats! The first step is always the biggest!

[Linked Image]

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand
I guess a bad upbringing stays with you for life. Sigh.

Weaklefthand, the older you get, the less you will be the way your parents raised you and the more you willl be who you are. One of the perks of getting older! smile

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
W
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
W
Good for you Weaklefthand! Bad upbringing may not be the culprit. All humans have moments of irrational thought. A fear of failure is just one of those common ones. BUT you've stood up to that fear and will move beyond it. Will your exam be perfect??? Probably not perfect but you will do well. All my best,

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by WiseBuff
Good for you Weaklefthand! Bad upbringing may not be the culprit. All humans have moments of irrational thought. A fear of failure is just one of those common ones. BUT you've stood up to that fear and will move beyond it. Will your exam be perfect??? Probably not perfect but you will do well. All my best,

Exactly. I've read of people who take the exam, don't do as well as they wanted, and then felt like quitting because they felt they were failing. Treat the exam as simply a milestone, and a source of "teacherly" feedback, rather than as gateway one must pass through. "I was here," rather than "Veni, vidi, vici."

[Linked Image]

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Thanks everyone for the encouragement. While I know I’m not going to be a concert pianist EVER, and I’m not even doing exams for anything really, it’s still difficult to eliminate the natural tendency to need to excel.

Doing piano exams is actually therapy and a distraction to something else actually lol. So it’s supposed to be a good distraction. I won’t call it quits if I don’t do well. I might curse a bit but I’ll probably trudge on. blush

Kawai K500
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Congrats weakLeftHand. If you don't pass it is not the end, just take it again. I know adults who just don't do something because they say I won't do well. Other than you, how many people really would care if you pass or not. Your already the exception, because you are willing to do it.

I play with my instructor at the nursing home, used to stop half way through a song my hands shook so bad. I thought why do I do this to myself, its because I am not a quitter. A few years later, still nervous but play and don't stop anymore. I'm better than I was.

I just bought the online theory level 5 class. RCM gives you a year to complete the class and take the exam. The exam is online. Just did it for me, I will do my best, that is all I can do. Its a hobby. Look at all the people on this forum that are really doing something positive with their free time.

“Failure should be our teacher, not our undertaker. Failure is delay, not defeat. It is a temporary detour, not a dead end. Failure is something we can avoid only by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing.” - Denis Waitley

Deb
"A goal properly set is halfway reached." Zig Ziglar
DFSRN #2909032 11/06/19 11:31 PM
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by DFSRN
Congrats weakLeftHand. If you don't pass it is not the end, just take it again. I know adults who just don't do something because they say I won't do well. Other than you, how many people really would care if you pass or not. Your already the exception, because you are willing to do it.

I play with my instructor at the nursing home, used to stop half way through a song my hands shook so bad. I thought why do I do this to myself, its because I am not a quitter. A few years later, still nervous but play and don't stop anymore. I'm better than I was.

I just bought the online theory level 5 class. RCM gives you a year to complete the class and take the exam. The exam is online. Just did it for me, I will do my best, that is all I can do. Its a hobby. Look at all the people on this forum that are really doing something positive with their free time.

“Failure should be our teacher, not our undertaker. Failure is delay, not defeat. It is a temporary detour, not a dead end. Failure is something we can avoid only by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing.” - Denis Waitley

That is a wonderful quote! Thank you!

Please do let us know how you like or dislike the online theory exam. Some of us would much appreciate the feedback!

Kawai K500
Page 41 of 81 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 80 81

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission