2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
52 members (Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 5 invisible), 1,283 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2906430 10/30/19 01:12 PM
BruceD Offline OP
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Gold Subscriber
In the first Intermezzo of Brahms' Op. 117, the "A" section is marked: "Andante moderato," the "B" section is marked: "Più Adagio," and the return of the "A" section is marked: "Un poco più Andante." (How can you have more "Adagio" if you are coming from a section marked "Andante moderato?" But that is not my question!

My question (and also my teacher's) is what does Brahms mean by "Un poco più Andante" for the return of the "A" section - with emphasis on the più? If he wanted us to return to Tempo primo, would he not so have indicated? Does più Andante mean more "Andante" than the first section? Surely not more "Andante" than the "Adagio," that almost goes without saying.

If he is referring to the tempo of the "A" section, is "more Andante" a little slower than or a little faster than "Andante moderato"? On the other hand, since he uses più for both the "Adagio" and the return of the "A" section, maybe we should just ignore his use of the term.

What say you all? Inquiring minds want to know!

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
BruceD Offline OP
Gold Subscriber
OP Offline
Gold Subscriber
Maybe the tempo indication in the second Intermezzo of Op. 117, answers my question.

It is marked: "Andante non troppo e con molto espressione" through to measure 72 where Brahms marks a tempo change with "Più Adagio." If we are going from "Andante" to "Adagio" it seems to me that the più can be ignored as being redundant; as I see it, there's no "più" about it; it's simply "Adagio."

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
S
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
S
I would think in this case Piu means very adagio, ie slightly more slower than adagio. The piu andante for me means a little more andante ie slightly faster than first andante moderato. As you know andante means at a good pace but not too fast. Andante moderato being for me a not too fast andante, the piu wuld mean a little more andante than the first one.

Blüthner model 6
BruceD Offline OP
Gold Subscriber
OP Offline
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Sidokar
I would think in this case Piu means very adagio, ie slightly more slower than adagio. The piu andante for me means a little more andante ie slightly faster than first andante moderato. As you know andante means at a good pace but not too fast. Andante moderato being for me a not too fast andante, the piu wuld mean a little more andante than the first one.

Hmm.... thanks for your input!

It makes more sense than what Brahms was suggesting to me!

“Mad Hatter: Would you like a little more tea?
Alice: Well, I haven't had any yet, so I can't very well take more."

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sidokar

+1. Exactly.

August Förster 215
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Another view: the 'literal translation' (well, according to Google Translate) of 'piu adagio' is 'more slowly' - Google doesn't have a translation of 'piu andante,' but I won't let that get in the way of my theory wink which is that perhaps it just means slow down a bit, then go back to andante. Seems a bit convoluted but, well, it is Brahms....

regards
Pete
F
F
Slightly faster than Andante is called Andantino. So by saying Piu Andante Brahms meant more slowly than part A but still Andante.

Just do it. -- Nike
B
BDB Offline
B
Più andante means more walking, which might be a little faster than moderate walking, or andante moderato.

Semipro Tech
S
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
S
From the Harvard Dictionary by Willi Apel:

"Andante: Tempo mark indicating very moderate walking speed… To the present day there is no agreement among musicians as to whether andante belongs to the quick or the slow tempo. While this question as such would seem to be rather irrelevant, it becomes imrtant in the case of terms such as piu andante, meno andante, molto andante, andantino …. Piu andante and molto andante indicate a tempo quicker than the normal andante, while meno andante indicates a slower speed. Brahms was indoubtedly aware of this meaning of the term when, at the end of his andante from piano Sonata op 5 he wrote andante molto; the tempo of this closing is, of course, quicker than that of the preceding andante espressivo. However other composers use molto andante to mean a tempo still slower than andante.

Andantino… If used as a tempo mark, it means a slight modification of andante, whose direction is, unfortunately, a matter of divergent opinion. Beethoven was puzzled by the question of whether andantino was to be understood as meaning faster or slower than andante (see letter to George Thomson). Most modern musicians apparently use the term to indicate a tempo quicker than andante. "

Blüthner model 6
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Having never come across these, out of curiosity I listened to them here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4nnjhHe15U

all I can say is "thank-you #BruceD" - they're quite magic. Beautifully soothing......

regards
Pete
BruceD Offline OP
Gold Subscriber
OP Offline
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by petebfrance
Having never come across these, out of curiosity I listened to them here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4nnjhHe15U

all I can say is "thank-you #BruceD" - they're quite magic. Beautifully soothing......

The second in B-flat minor is one of my all-time favourite Brahms pieces. I'm glad that you heard them; Lupu's interpretation is wonderful, too.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
P
P
It seems to me that Brahms considered Andante a slow tempo. I dunno, maybe he walked slowly most of the time.
In this case, I think he meant to return to the tempo primo Andante but a little slower.

I wish Brahms had used German instead of Italian. I'm sure he would have been clearer.

Peter
1949 Baldwin M
currently working on Brahms op. 10 Ballades, f-minor sonata and 2nd concerto
Mendelssohn Songs Without Words and E minor Prelude and Fugue
whatever strikes my fancy today.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission