2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
69 members (Chapitrilfo, anotherscott, Animisha, Beowulf, Charles Cohen, aidans, beeboss, Calavera, 13 invisible), 495 guests, and 646 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
j&j Online Content OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
I went to my local Yamaha dealer for a clearance sale. Found two different pianos, maybe 3 that I would love. I’ve read all the reviews but wanted opinions to see if what I heard and felt is typical. I would of course get full trade-in on my 7yo C3. The Estonia L190 would be approximately $13,000 + my piano, the Schimmel C169 would be $16,000 + my C3 and the Schimmel C189 would be $20,000. They didn’t have the C189 at this store for me to try but would ship one from one of their other stores. I’ve always love the clear treble on Schimmels. I did try a Yamaha CF4 that was fabulous and at a really great price but a bit beyond what I want to spend. My family thinks I ought to be happy with what I got. 😢

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
My piano’s voice is beautiful!
[Linked Image]
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Are the pianos you mentioned new or used? If used, how old is each?

Last edited by pianoloverus; 10/26/19 10:36 AM.
j&j Online Content OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Are the pianos you mentioned new or used?

Both new.

J & J
Casio Privia PX-330
[Linked Image]
Online Content
I have little experience with both Estonia and Schimmel. I do know they are both in the same Fine category and that was probably true even before the categories were largely based on cost. Almost all the PW comments are very positive about both pianos so I think it should be a matter of personal choice about touch and tone. If you think you want the larger Schimmel, the dealer should let you try it before you commit to buy it.

j&j Online Content OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
pianoloverus- thank you. I’m going back this afternoon to try them again. The Estonia will be fully tuned this morning, which should only be an improvement. I loved the touch and warmth of the Estonia but since a few notes weren’t at the right pitch it was a bit distracting. And the gorgeous bubinga touches are really distracting in a good way.

J & J
Casio Privia PX-330
[Linked Image]
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Both Estonia and Schimmel sound like great pianos J&J. Mind you your C3 is certainly a special model Yamaha.It is one they often have at universities and important music schools.
If you decide to get a European piano make sure they give you enough of a deal on your beautiful
piano.
Best wishes on your decision!
LB

T
T
Hi j&j,

Have you tried yamaha cx series?
How estonia compared to yamaha?

Is estonia equal to yamaha or better?
Please advise

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
That Estonia sounds wonderfulful but then so is Schimmel.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
This is a tricky deal, I feel that a high-end Yamaha is a better piano and better buy than the Schimmel or Estonia. The resale value of the piano you are trading-in is higher than the Schimel or Estonia; in other words in a few years, the value of those pianos will be close to the balance you paid without your trade-in.
Either way, you should negotiate a lower balance after your trade-in.

Last edited by Kurtmen; 10/26/19 05:09 PM.

San Mateo Piano
Kawai Piano Dealer San Francisco Bay Area
www.sanmateopiano.com
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I've played both the Estonia 190 and the Schimmel 189, virtually back to back, when I did my last piano search. To my ear they are very different pianos. I liked the Estonia a lot, the Schimmel a lot less...both in tone and feel. Even better is the Estonia 210. I really loved it. If this dealer can get you the 190 for $13K after trade in, what would he charge for the 210 with trade in? It might be no more than the Schimmel 189. Of course maybe the bubinga case is a decider for you. I'm an ebony guy, though ultimately the case is not a big deciding factor for me.

August Förster 215
j&j Online Content OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kurtmen
This is a tricky deal, I feel that a high-end Yamaha is a better piano and better buy than the Schimmel or Estonia. The resale value of the piano you are trading-in is higher than the Schimel or Estonia; in other words in a few years, the value of those pianos will be close to the balance you paid without your trade-in.

I played the C3X as a comparison and then a stand in for my C3. There is a bit warmer tone but the price would be more than the Estonia but didn’t have the feel or the singing tone of the Estonia. When I bought my C3, I tried the prototype of the C3X which was a considerable jump in price but I couldn’t hear or feel that much difference. I’ve played several C3X’s since but just can’t justify the upgrade price.

J & J
Casio Privia PX-330
[Linked Image]
j&j Online Content OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
So, I did negotiate the price down a tad and bought the Estonia. It should be in my home next Saturday. I loved the singing tone and the action. The hidden beauty - when closed is shiny ebony. When you open the lid, the underside of the lid, music rack and fallboard facing the player is a gorgeous reddish bubinga. I normally would stick with polished black, but the case is just gorgeous. I will post pictures when it arrives. I really can’t fit a 210 and would probably spend a longer time in the doghouse. Also, like the Schimmel C189, it would have to be sent here or ordered.

J & J
Casio Privia PX-330
[Linked Image]
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber

Although I agree that the high end Yamahas are great pianos, I also feel that a Schimmel or Estonia can both be beautiful options as well. Musicians know them and, with one google search, any "man on the street" can also know all about them as well.

J&J, congrats on your choice. I wish you many years of enjoyment and pleasure from your new piano.

Cheers!

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
S
S
Congratulations on your new piano. What a treat! The hidden beauty is the very beautiful looking piano indeed. There is a picture of the hidden beauty in the Estonia brochure:
http://www.estoniapiano.com/buklet_11okt_2013.pdf

Like AaronSF I have also played the Estonia 190 back to back with the Schimmel C 189, the former in black and the latter with a Bubinga rim; really beautiful.

The Bubinga is however no longer allowed imported into Europe, and international trade of the wood is now banned, however I do not know all the details.
Some more information on the subject can be found here:
https://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/rosewoods-bubinga-really-banned-cites/

Looking forward to see the picture(s).

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Congratulations on your new Estonia!

Learner
J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini

Although I agree that the high end Yamahas are great pianos, I also feel that a Schimmel or Estonia can both be beautiful options as well. Musicians know them and, with one google search, any "man on the street" can also know all about them as well.

J&J, congrats on your choice. I wish you many years of enjoyment and pleasure from your new piano.

Cheers!

I tried an Estonia 190 quite a few years ago and I really liked its rich tone. You got yourself a nice piano that I'm sure you are really going to enjoy. You probably could have sold that Yamaha privately for about the same or maybe even a little more but I could understand how that can be a little bit of a hassle (trust me).

Working on:
Preludio: Bach/Rachmaninoff E Major Sonata for Violin
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
A fine choice. Congratulations!

[Linked Image]
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
J&J
Congratulations ! That is a really lovely instrument and quite large ! It must sound incredible. I have never played an Estonia but have heard such wonderful things about them !
Congratulations and enjoy !

Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
What a gorgeous piano!!!! Congrats. I know it will given you many years of pleasure.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by j&j
bought the Estonia

shocked wow

That was fast!

Also oh wow, I’ve seen pics of the hidden beauty before, it’s really amazing! How exciting! Can’t wait to see photos when it’s delivered!!!

Congratulations!!!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
bouncing keys and hammers
by chopin_r_us - 05/08/21 02:41 PM
To change from Yamaha, Casio, Roland, Kawai, Korg etc...
by playplayplay - 05/08/21 02:16 PM
Pianists interviewing Pianists
by MrShed - 05/08/21 01:53 PM
Concerns about piano teacher
by Rokushji - 05/08/21 01:18 PM
Garritan CFX questions
by David Lai - 05/08/21 12:09 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,794
Posts3,091,177
Members101,452
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission