2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, benkeys, 17 invisible), 2,108 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
hag01 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
I want to bring my acoustic piano to my bedroom.

My bedroom built like a bomb shelter(the walls materials, the ability to seal the window completely, etc), therefore it's already acoustically isolated.
I have this kind of room:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merkhav_Mugan

So in order to extend my playing time twenty four hours, best thing is to move my piano to my bedroom.

Now for the bad news:
English is not my native language and "bedroom" means literally where I sleep, but I simply live in that room since I was a kid, I have there a PC for all my needs including music production, stereo system for self enjoy music, TV, and I even have there my Kawai MP11SE for silent practice at nights.
So this is where I live, and now when I'll move there my acoustic piano, I'll be there much more.
So there is also an air conditioner for self convenience in that room.

If wind directed on the piano can harm the piano, I can ensure no wind from the air conditioner will touch the piano(minimal vent effect plus vent direction).

But what about the fact that I just want to use the air conditioner when I happen to be in the room and It's too cold or too hot?
How can it damage the piano and what can I do in order to prevent it?

Now about humidity - The air conditioner I can buy doesn't include humidity control(need to replace current air conditioner anyway in order to minimize wind\vent effect).
If I'll come to conclusion that I need humidity control, can I install it separately?

What do I need to know about humidity in a piano room?
Two things to consider about humidity in my future piano room are:
1. I live in a coastal city, I'm not really live right in the beach, but I can see the port from my window very good, with all the ships and so.
2. As I said the room is built like a bomb shelter, and I know it DOES affect humidity in the room, but I don't know exactly how.
I hope someone here can explain about humidity in bomb shelters.

Last edited by hag01; 01/28/19 01:22 AM.
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Air conditioners remove water from the air, albeit not as effectively as a humidifier which is essentially an air conditioner that doesn't cool.

If humidity is high year round, then you might not even need a humidifier to prevent it from getting too dry. Just get a hygrometer and check to see how the humidity fluctuates from your own presence and the air conditioner.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by trigalg693
Just get a hygrometer and check to see how the humidity fluctuates from your own presence and the air conditioner.

+1

Once you have this information then you can proceed with a plan.

Good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
H
hag01 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by Rickster
Originally Posted by trigalg693
Just get a hygrometer and check to see how the humidity fluctuates from your own presence and the air conditioner.

+1

Once you have this information then you can proceed with a plan.

Good luck!

Rick

So I supposed to understand from the above that the main issue is humidity and not temperature changes(which tend to be extreme in my era, and add to this the casual on and off of the air conditioner)?

J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J

Yes, the main issue is humidity. When you get the humidity data, post it here. And listen to Rick, he was in the heating and air conditioning business, recently retired, IIRC.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
One problem I have in my climate is that it's often not hot enough to run the air conditioner, but the humidity is still too high. I'm not sure what your climate is like, but if the humidity is high when it's less than about 21C outside, the air conditioner won't help and you'll need a dehumidifier. I have a lot of electronics in the room with my piano, so it generates enough heat that I can run the air conditioner a lot of the time even when it's not so hot outdoors. But you might have to buy a small dehumidifier. While it's true that humidity is more important to control than temperature, the temperature does have an effect on relative humidity. Since your room is sealed very well, as the temperature increases the relative humidity will go down, and it is the relative humidity your piano cares about. You may need to leave the air conditioner on when you're not in the room to maintain the proper humidity levels. You'll have to experiment and find what works.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
EP Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
For about $20-$30 (depending on where you live, I suppose - Amazon, etc.) you can get a temperature/humidity measurement device. That's the only way to know what you need to do. Based on your description of your location, you probably have too much humidity, rather than too little, and a 25w Dampp-Chaser heating rod installed on the piano might be all you need.

H
hag01 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
OK I found a company specialized in producing humidity control systems:
http://www.optiguide.co.il/

They also happen to be just 24 kilometers from my city.

Just tell me what is the optimal steady humidity I should keep in my room from the moment I'm bringing there my piano, before I'm calling them.

They will open in an hour and a quarter.

Last edited by hag01; 01/29/19 12:49 AM.
P
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P
42% - 45% RH

Pwg

Last edited by P W Grey; 01/29/19 07:26 AM.

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
C
C
Hi everyone, I am sorry. I have a question. I play digital piano, so not sure that concerns me, but my younger sister has a piano and lives with my parents in a very humid zone. Can something happen to the piano? Should I buy a dehumidifier for her room?

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Cupidsdelight
Hi everyone, I am sorry. I have a question. I play digital piano, so not sure that concerns me, but my younger sister has a piano and lives with my parents in a very humid zone. Can something happen to the piano? Should I buy a dehumidifier for her room?

Cupid please start a new thread in the piano forum so we can continue giving the original poster good advice.

This is where we left off.

42% - 45% RH

Pwg

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber

The first step would be to buy a hydgrometer to measure the relative humidity in the air in the room. Over a period of several days or weeks, you should note the amount of swing from lowest to highest humidity. If the humidity swings are large and if the humidity is constantly high, then you may decide to buy a dehumidifier.

The most important point about "humidity health" for a piano is that there not be large swings from low to high humidity over periods of time. It is important to make every effort to keep the humidity level as stable as you can from one season to the next. A piano living in an environment that was kept, say, between 40% and 50% throughout the year would live a longer, healthier life, than a piano living in an environment that ranged from below 30% in one season to over 70% in another season.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
What make of piano are you putting in the bedroom? And does the manufacturer specify an ideal humidity range?

My Grotrian Grand specifies "Ideally, the relative humidity of your room should be between 50% and 60%".

But your manufacturer might specify otherwise.

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
C
C
Thanks! I guess it's the best piece of advice I could get)

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission