2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Advanced Piano Tricks
Advanced Piano Tricks
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
71 members (Bill McKaig,RPT, An Old Square, 36251, brdwyguy, AndyG123, Abdol, blueviewlaguna., accordeur, Alex Hutor, Animisha, 9 invisible), 1,396 guests, and 414 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
L
I may decide to move my nearly new upright piano to an exterior wall. We are having our old
furnace replaced and for a few reasons thought the piano may be safer a few feet away from furnance.At present the piano is near an interior wall.
Although the house is 1950's house,the wall is east facing.The wall is a normal wooden structure, with insulation, and dry wall.My husband has added on top of this fluted plastic boards (1/3 inch
thick)plus on top of this accoustic boards 3/4 of an inch thick.Another layer of dry wall cover.All
these added structures cover the whole wall.These materials were added because at one time
we were concerned about the sound being a bit much for the neighbors.(not worried about that now)
So with these added strucures would it be safe to have the piano standing with the soundboard
about 6 inches from this outer wall ?
I would be grateful for your advice.

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
That is a very well insulated wall. With the relative modest temperatures changes where you live I doubt that will be a problem.

I think you are right to assume that the outside wall away from the furnace is a better place then an inside wall closer to the furnace.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Learux
That is a very well insulated wall. With the relative modest temperatures changes where you live I doubt that will be a problem.

I think you are right to assume that the outside wall away from the furnace is a better place then an inside wall closer to the furnace.

I agree. I actually have my upright against an exterior wall and have had zero issues. Lady Bird, go for it.

[Linked Image]
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Dear Lady,

We all wish we had your wall. Go for it!

What a husband--- he did all that for you? Can I borrow him?

The "not the outer wall" rule came from a day when well-insulated structures were not so common, and pianos were not so robust. Remember spinnets? Dreadful instruments of torture.

It was not so well-understood that drastic seasonal variations in relative humidity put soundboards under a stress that can damage them or end their lives early. People knew about how temperatures vary (and r.h. does interact with temperature, but they're not directly pegged).

Keeping the environment stable for the sake of the piano, is the challenge. If you can keep it between (ballpark--- opinions vary!) 45% and 60%, as long as it is fairly stable, outside wall or not, you have done your part. If your RH meter says otherwise or your piano complains, you could talk with your piano tech about Damp Chaser devices. Some swear by them; others swear by their whole-house humidity control systems.

But modern pianos are made to be happy where people live. Play on!

Clef

L
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
L
Thank you for the replies.Our old furnace is from 1980 so there was a real need to replace it. The new furnace has this condensation which drains a cup of water every hour through a tube into a hole
in the floor.This adds up to quite an amount in a 24 hour period.
My new upright(Sauter ) stands about 11 ft from this hole, on a full carpet.The bottom of the piano sinks into the carpet despite the double casters. So I fear a leak of some sort from this furnace (while we are away perhaps )would seep into the piano room soak the carpet area under the piano.
I know of someone would had this kind of situation happen and the piano was ruined.
On measuring the RH in the exterior wall area there seems to be a difference of 2or 3% to the inside wall area where the piano is .So far we have not experienced the really lower winter temperatures, but the rains have started and on a few days of rain there can be this difference in humidity mentioned.
Summer is fine and that side of the house is in the shade.I am not worried about the heat of the furnace as it is in the passage.The heat travels through the ducts in the floor.There are none of these
around the piano.It is just the possibility of water damage.I had thought of wooden caster cups to lift the piano off the floor a little and leave it where it is.I do not know if this would be enough.
Perhaps moving to complete safety right across to the other wall would be better as everyone has
suggested.Thanks all for thier replies so far.

Last edited by Lady Bird; 09/26/19 09:30 PM. Reason: Spelling
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Put in amazon search

Wifi alarm app water leak

You will find devices that will warn you through alarm and/or text message when water is going to places you want to monitor.

Takes a bit of research to find the one you need. Therefore I only posted key words.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
L
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
L
Learux, NobleHouse, Jeff Clef,
I think I am starting to believe in the ext.wall !
Learux I am thinking about the WIFI alarm system .I remember the furnace technician explained about a device that we could turn the heating off even if we are away.However I just remembered that the hot water tank stands next to the furnace and there would be no way of turning that off if that sprung a leak. Yes I know I should turn my worries off, but not even meditation seems to be able to do that.
So perhaps I shall move the piano to the exterior wall .
Jeff Clef I agree my husband is a treasure ! Next year we shall be married for 50 years !
I would lend him to you .........but he may protest ?
It is helpful to hear your piano stands against an exterior wall NobleHouse. Do you have big ranges
in temperature and humidity in Missouri?

Last edited by Lady Bird; 09/27/19 12:35 AM. Reason: Extra word
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Lady Bird
Learux, NobleHouse, Jeff Clef,
I think I am starting to believe in the ext.wall !
Learux I am thinking about the WIFI alarm system .I remember the furnace technician explained about a device that we could turn the heating off even if we are away.However I just remembered that the hot water tank stands next to the furnace and there would be no way of turning that off if that sprung a leak. Yes I know I should turn my worries off, but not even meditation seems to be able to do that.
So perhaps I shall move the piano to the exterior wall .
Jeff Clef I agree my husband is a treasure ! Next year we shall be married for 50 years !
I would lend him to you .........but he may protest ?
It is helpful to hear your piano stands against an exterior wall NobleHouse. Do you have big ranges
in temperature and humidity in Missouri?

Not a huge range in humidity through the year. Temperature range is of course huge. But we do use our dehumidifier at times throughout the year.

[Linked Image]
L
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
L
Thanks NobleHouse, That helps to know that your temperature ranges are quite varying with not much humidty changes.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Thanks NobleHouse, That helps to know that your temperature ranges are quite varying with not much humidty changes.

We are pretty humid here all year round.

[Linked Image]
L
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
L
Our temperature and humidity vary quite bit .This time of the year the dehumidifier is going constantly ,day a night ,keeping it around 55 ,In mid summer it would get quite dry falling below 50
If there is snow for a few weeks in winter it will drop to 42,or even to 36. I am going to get a humidifier this winter.
If I left the dehumidifier off at the moment it could rise to 70.% or above !
I am always amazed when I hear people say we do not have much differences in humidity in Vancouver BC

Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Hi Ladybird,
I used to keep a marine fish tank next to my previous upright piano. It had an open top with a suspended 300W halogen light to keep both the fish and the anemones happy. This light resulted in a pint of evaporation every day but after 5 years had no effect on the piano 3 feet away.
However I did have a catastrophic deluge of seawater when overnight a plastic tube popped off one of the filters. In the morning there were lots of dead fish and 45 gallons of water soaked up on my wool carpet on which my piano sat. After much 'sooking' up, a week later the carpet and felt underlay were dry and again the piano was unaffected.

I was lucky but if that had happened to my Blüthner I would have been in a terrible panic. Of course shortly after I sold the fish tank and will not again get into that expensive hobby.

Anyhow the reason I mentioned the above is to alert you that you can buy a leak monitor that not only will monitor multiple areas (including fish tanks!) for leaks but can automatically shut off the water supply.

https://www.getguardian.com/guardian-leak-prevention-system

Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
L
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
L
Thanks Beemer,
That must have been quite a shock coming home to find all that water around your piano !
The loss of those sea fish must have been a big loss as well.Someone I know was telling
me how expensive each of those fish are.I just stick to the goldfish in the garden pond.
Well I am glad it was not your lovely Bluthner!
Thank you for the link I am looking into that as well !

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
I don't know your climate, but based on your description of the wall it sounds reasonable to me. I have a studio teaching piano against an exterior wall. I tune twice a year, but I live in a moderate climate.

Pianist and Piano Teacher
L
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
L
Musicpassion,
Thanks that helps.,Yes I do think that is what I shall do.Then a humidifier and then the leak monitor.
Needing to.pay for the new furnace as well the costs will mount up .So moving the piano to the wall
will not cost anything at least !

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
At least you will be warm and cozy this winter!

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
L
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
L

So true ! Our old furnace breathed it's last breath by shooting out a small tongue of flame the other day when a technician was servicing it ! Scary !
We were going to replace it now anyway ! (ie on Thursday day)

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

So true ! Our old furnace breathed it's last breath by shooting out a small tongue of flame the other day when a technician was servicing it ! Scary !
We were going to replace it now anyway ! (ie on Thursday day)

Now that IS scary!

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Factory silent options
by Gombessa - 01/26/22 11:23 AM
History of Yamaha U1 price
by VeritasNL - 01/26/22 10:25 AM
Where to find a concert grand to play
by Keyburn - 01/26/22 08:42 AM
17th Adilia Alieva International Music Competition
by Alex-Peter - 01/26/22 06:21 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics211,362
Posts3,164,087
Members104,170
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission