2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
39 members (Burkey, Beansparrow, chopinetto, chopin_r_us, Animisha, clothearednincompo, Calavera, 12 invisible), 408 guests, and 567 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
OP Offline
M
Hello all. I’m new to this forum and hope my interests keep me here a while. I’m 60 years old and have played the guitar for years, although I’m far from what I’d call a good guitar player. I basically depend on tablature and can’t read standard notation. I love the sound of the nylon string guitar.

Anyway, I decided I’d like to give the piano a try. I’m thinking of purchasing a digital piano (casio px870)and I’d like to find a local instructor and get started. Looking in the YP phone book for my area there’s only one listing in Lapeer. I’d imagine there are more private instructors in my area, but not listed in the nearly obsolete yellow pages.

So, can somebody please recommend a source, or ideally an instructor, for piano lessons in my area.

Thanks,
Chuck

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Hi Chuck
Music Teacher’s of America (mtna.org) has a ‘find a teacher search option. There are two listed in your zip code.
There will be other really good teachers in your area who are non-members but those are sometimes harder to find.
You can also check at a local university for recommendations, with piano techs.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
M
OP Offline
M
Thanks, Dogperson.
I went to the mtna site, plugged in my zip and like you said, 2 listings showed. However, these postings are fairly far away. The closest being about 18 miles.

I do live in the country, but the cities of Lapeer and Imlay city aren’t small and they’re both under 10 miles away. Surely there has to be at least several instructors within 10 miles of me. I just need to find one.

Being a complete beginner, I know YouTube is an excellent source for learning, but I’d still like to take lessons. Taking lessons I’d feel obligated to practice. Lol. and of course the other benefits from personal instruction.

So, if anyone can recommend a source or person, that’d be great!

I’m 60 yrs so I’m running out of time here! LOL

Thanks,

Chuck

E
E
You might look up your state's music teacher association, too. If your city is big enough, they'll have one too (though it doesn't sound like it probably is).

You could also check at local music stores or churches, or there's always online classes. MANY teachers are going online now. My teacher does both online and in-person classes. You could see if one of those teachers 18 miles away do both. If they do, you could do most of your lessons online and make the trip once a month or so just to make sure nothing is being missed.

Just some ideas smile Good luck!

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Muskellunge
Thanks, Dogperson.
I went to the mtna site, plugged in my zip and like you said, 2 listings showed. However, these postings are fairly far away. The closest being about 18 miles.

I do live in the country, but the cities of Lapeer and Imlay city aren’t small and they’re both under 10 miles away. Surely there has to be at least several instructors within 10 miles of me. I just need to find one.

You can also go with online lessons. For example, I take piano lessons via the Zoom.us video messenger.

Being a complete beginner, I know YouTube is an excellent source for learning, but I’d still like to take lessons. Taking lessons I’d feel obligated to practice. Lol. and of course the other benefits from personal instruction.

So, if anyone can recommend a source or person, that’d be great!

Can you share what type of music you want to ultimately learn to play? It will give an idea of what sort of piano instruction you should be seeking. There are at least 3 major directions in piano - Classical piano, chord piano, and jazz. (I might be leaving something out too.)

I’m 60 yrs so I’m running out of time here! LOL

Many members here in ABF are older than you. Many have started piano older than you. You've got plenty of time. smile As A.J. Styles has said:
You're only as old as you feel, and I feel pretty young. I've got one gear, and till it gets reversed, I'm going all out.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Here are two music schools in Lapeer:
There is also a teacher within 10 mi of Imlay City registered in this piano teacher search engine and one within 5 mi of Lapeer also.

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
M
OP Offline
M
Online lessons are a possibility, but ideally I’d like to start with traditional in-person lessons. Again, I feel this type of atmosphere would force me to practice. I do realize practicing shouldn’t be a burden, but sometimes it’s easy to avoid things we don’t know how to do.

As far as what type of music I can envision myself playing...Like many other individuals, I enjoy a variety of music. I could see myself playing tunes like Moonlight Sonata, Fur Elise, Gymnopédie 1 (musically the saddest song I’ve ever heard), the Peanuts Snoopy song, Somewhere over the rainbow, Titanic song, some Boogie Woogie, and so on. I know I prefer the sound of an acoustic piano compared to an organ... if that says anything.

Of course, it’s never too late and I want to get started on piano (before it is too late.lol), see how it goes. I figure a good instructor will be beneficial. So I’ll keep searching.

Thanks again,
Chuck

M
OP Offline
M
Tyrone,

Yes, I’m familiar with School of Bach. Nothing wrong with that place. I actually had guitar lessons there a few years back. That is an option, It can be a little hectic there though with various instruments sounding in other rooms simultaneously, parents hanging out waiting for their kids. Not a big deal by any means, it’s just mildly hectic. School of Bach is an option.

I’ve never heard of the other you mentioned....Melody Piano... I’ll have to look into that.

Thanks for the info Tyrone,
Chuck

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Online lessons are a possibility, but ideally I’d like to start with traditional in-person lessons. Again, I feel this type of atmosphere would force me to practice. I do realize practicing shouldn’t be a burden, but sometimes it’s easy to avoid things we don’t know how to do.

I think having online lessons will force you to practice too. For example, my next lesson is tomorrow morning. I will definitely be practicing today, even more than I did yesterday smile

You are probably thinking of online lessons that are pre-recorded, and not online ones with a live teacher you talk to during your lesson. I'll PM you a suggestion in this regard.

I have some suggestions below on the non-live sort too before you start real piano lessons with a live teacher (whether in-person or online).

As far as what type of music I can envision myself playing...Like many other individuals, I enjoy a variety of music. I could see myself playing tunes like Moonlight Sonata, Fur Elise, Gymnopédie 1 (musically the saddest song I’ve ever heard), the Peanuts Snoopy song, Somewhere over the rainbow, Titanic song, some Boogie Woogie, and so on. I know I prefer the sound of an acoustic piano compared to an organ... if that says anything.

Well, if the first 3 are in your Wishlist, then you'll want to start with classical piano lessons, and maybe later diversify to accompaniment and/or jazz. Classical piano already encompasses chord piano, although it doesn't really seem to include the "arranging" part of chord piano, that you'd need if you wanted to play cocktail piano.

So before you get a real teacher (in-person or online) you might consider trying a month of either of these two online courses. These courses don't have live teachers but include personal feedback (you video record yourself playing and the teacher reviews and gives you feedback on technique, errors, etc.):
If you are working on finding a live teacher, I'd just sign up for either of these on a month-to-month basis and cancel when you've started live lessons. BTW, ArtistWorks might have a free trial. If you have any questions about these, PW member Animisha can tell you about her experiences.

If you have a digital piano, there is also one more option which is quite fun, but less rigorous than either of the two above: Piano Marvel. PM has its own ways of keeping you engaged and from slacking off.

[Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Look for a family with kids and ask them. Guaranteed one of them or one of their school friends has a good piano teacher.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I should add that the reason I say this is because Piano is really a word-of-mouth type business.

M
OP Offline
M
Regarding online lessons.... “What a fascinating modern age we live in”.

I’ll use that quote frequently, because it applies so frequently. The funny thing is, I got that quote from Russell Crowe in MASTER AND COMMANDER where he’s an18th century English Captain referring to the hull design of a Spanish War ship he’s chasing.LOL. The quote applied back then and it certainly applies today! Excellent movie by the way. There’s a couple violin cello duet scenes that are terrific. Hmmmmm....I doubt pianos were popular on sail ships.LOL

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
I'll PM you a suggestion in this regard.

Muskellunge, I sent you a PM (private message). Click on the envelope-shaped icon to the left of your forum handle in the upper right of this webpage.

[Linked Image]

H
H
Did you find someone yet? I live in genesee county and have friends that live around attica.

currently on the 4A books on Piano Marvel
M
OP Offline
M
My apologies for the late reply Harmonysmurf. I haven’t found anyone yet, but there’s a music store In Imlay City that I’m going to contact tomorrow. I’d imagine they would have a good lead. If any of your friends in Attica know of a good instructor nearby, I’d be happy to hear about them.

Thanks again,
Muskie

H
H
kk. i'll ask around about it.

currently on the 4A books on Piano Marvel
M
OP Offline
M
Thanks, I appreciate it.

I’m calling that music store in Imlay today. This is a very small store but I’m guessing they’ll have a lead.
I picked up a Casio 870 the end of last week, so I’m ready to get started. Toying around with it the past few days... it’s going to be a challenge for sure. I play guitar a bit, so I know with practice comes improvement.
Chuck

M
OP Offline
M
Darn. The music store in Imlay isn’t open today. They’re only open weds- sat with limited hrs. It’s not a big store, but they’ll probably have a lead I’d guess. I’ll have to call Wednesday.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Darn. The music store in Imlay isn’t open today. They’re only open weds- sat with limited hrs. It’s not a big store, but they’ll probably have a lead I’d guess. I’ll have to call Wednesday.

I included the names of two piano teachers in your area above.

[Linked Image]

M
OP Offline
M
Quick update;

I found and signed up with a teacher in Imlay city... fairly close by. I begin this Tuesday... the first step on this journey. And away we go.

Thanks everyone for your assistance.

Muskie

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
VST velocity level questions
by Animisha - 05/18/21 03:17 AM
James compares Kawai ES110, 520, and 920
by RinTin - 05/18/21 01:54 AM
Op. 61
by chopinetto - 05/18/21 12:34 AM
Please help me to identify this song
by patto81 - 05/17/21 10:09 PM
Kawai GE 1 vs Yamaha GB1K
by Lissplayspiano - 05/17/21 09:20 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,000
Posts3,094,771
Members101,546
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission