2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
65 members (anotherscott, BrokenSymmetry, 36251, busa, BlakeOR, Bill McKaig,RPT, 13 invisible), 625 guests, and 628 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by Kurtmen
Of course, I'm biased. I think it is safe to say that Shigerus are in a different league, most pianists agree. The new Mason and Hamlins are not the same pianos made 20 years ago.
It's a turnoff when dealers dis competing brands.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Of course, I'm biased. I think it is safe to say that Shigerus are in a different league, most pianists agree. The new Mason and Hamlins are not the same pianos made 20 years ago.
It's a turnoff when dealers dis competing brands.

I walk out of any place that when a salesperson belittles competing brands. And then I call the owner to let them know why I left.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Pianoloverous and Noblehouse, You're out of place. You are simply reading an online blog, be logical you are not buying anything and nobody is selling you anything; none of this is happening in your life. Somebody simply wrote an opinion you didn't like, ok, don't get emotional.

Last edited by Kurtmen; 09/21/19 03:19 PM.

San Mateo Piano
Kawai Piano Dealer San Francisco Bay Area
www.sanmateopiano.com
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Pianoloverous and Noblehouse, You're out of place. You are simply reading an online blog, be logical you are not buying anything and nobody is selling you anything; none of this is happening in your life. Somebody simply wrote an opinion you didn't like, ok, don't get emotional.

WRONG! I have experienced this a few times. And I did leave the places and I did call the owners to let them know why!!

[Linked Image]
J
J
FWIW, I sold my 2004 RX2 last Jan. and got the piano bug again a few weeks after it was gone. Well, while I was happy with the Kawai, I didn't want to go the same route again and also wanted to go up and not sideways or down ( I'm an unrepentant tone junkie). As my location is limited in piano buying prospects, I went to Dallas and played everything except the Shigeru being that I wanted something completely different. The 2016 M&H AA ended up following me home. The 6-7' Steinways were great but my budget was already stretched to the max. Looking back, maybe I should have played the Shigeru but I'm so happy with the Mason, it totally killed everything else except The old rebuilt Steinways.

M&H AA
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
To the OP, I think it will be a very interesting comparison for you because the 2 makers hold significantly different ideals for tone. In terms of "flavor" it could be like comparing two different flavors of ice cream, and you are likely to have a strong preference for one of the other even before you boil down into the details. Some other comparisons might be closer, but for these 2, while you may really like both, it's unlikely that you will not have a clear favorite.

While trying to temper my own biases, I think the SK series get more compelling in the larger sizes. I prefer M&H's other grand models over the current AA. I think there are a few other models in the 6' - 6'4" size class that are even more compelling, but I do know how good the 2 your interested in can be.

Good luck in your search. Hopefully, you can post more after you've tried the Mason AA and perhaps others.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
Online Content
Not at all. My comment had nothing at all to do with whether or not I agreed with your opinion.

I certainly have nothing against Shigeru. In fact, a SK-EX I tried once was one of the best pianos I've ever played.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Not at all. My comment had nothing at all to do with whether or not I agreed with your opinion.

I certainly have nothing against Shigeru. In fact, a SK-EX I tried once was one of the best pianos I've ever played.

Same here. My comment had NOTHING to do with Shigeru. It was strictly about salespeople dissing competitors. Which as I said above, I have experienced a few times.

[Linked Image]
J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Mr.Motown
Hi Everyone,

I'm currently in the market for a piano and wanted to get some general thoughts and opinions. I recently had the opportunity to play a Shigeru Kawai SK-3 which I really really liked. I'm also planning on visiting a dealer soon to check out first hand Mason and Hamlin. I'm specifically looking to play the model AA. What are your general thoughts on the two in terms of tone, touch, quality? Which would you choose and why?

I can't compare the Mason and Hamlin against my SK2 but often compare my SK2 to my RX-2 which is a mid-performance consumer piano. Compared to the RX-2 the SK-2's tone is notably richer and more complex. The tone of the RX-2 as a result sounds a little bit more mellow compared to the SK-2. The mid-range and treble have clear bell-like singing tones that sounds characteristic of a concert grand. The treble and soprano ring crystal clear and that quality is what differentiates my SK2 against my RX-2. Some may perceive this tone as slightly brighter when actually I think it is just more clear and precise on my SK-2 but the overall tone of the SK2 is still mellow. The SK-2 seems to be a more powerful piano than the RX-2 (if that's the best way to explain it). I can achieve more contrasting amplitudes between piano and forte on the SK-2 or so it seems. Fit and finish is at the highest level on the SK2 and everything including the casters seem bigger and more robust on the SK-2 over the RX-2. I have yet to have the Japanese master artisan visit my home to fine tune the piano. Honestly I don't know what to ask him because I don't know how to improve the sound further. Every piano, especially hand built pianos have slightly different tone and action that it would be wise to try a few out before purchasing and choose the one that you like the best. In my case I only had one choice but I ain't complaining. The SK2 is a wonderful piano and I could only imagine how even nicer the SK3 must sound.

Working on:
Preludio: Bach/Rachmaninoff E Major Sonata for Violin
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D

Saying that "most pianists agree" is more than merely stating your opinion.

____

I've experienced salesmen trashing other brands too. I've told this story here before..I was doing some preliminary shopping around for a student. I was in a store looking at Brand A and the salesman was extolling one of the features of Brand A, telling me how great this feature is and how it's the way of the future.. When I started looking at Brand B (which was a more expensive brand) the salesman started trashing Brand A, saying the feature he that was just trying to sell me on was untested and unproved, and how a similar feature from the 40s and 50s ended up causing so many problems. Needless to say I went elsewhere.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
bouncing keys and hammers
by chopin_r_us - 05/08/21 02:41 PM
To change from Yamaha, Casio, Roland, Kawai, Korg etc...
by playplayplay - 05/08/21 02:16 PM
Pianists interviewing Pianists
by MrShed - 05/08/21 01:53 PM
Concerns about piano teacher
by Rokushji - 05/08/21 01:18 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,798
Posts3,091,223
Members101,453
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission