2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
26 members (Frédéric L, DPAfficionado, CyberGene, AlphaBravoCharlie, Hannu T, David B, djvu10, 8 invisible), 720 guests, and 466 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
The Jansen is solid and comfy, never bothers me.
We also have a duet bench that is wonderful. I don't remember the name of the manufacturer. It is not as deep as the Jansen, and it is not as heavy. Last year we replaced the padding after maybe 10 years, and replaced the crappy velour cover with leather which our local upholstery shop tufted nicely, and it is beautiful now. So, it might rock a little under 2 enthusiastic players, but I can still move it. If I tried to move a Jansen duet bench, it'd probably kill me.

I'm a little bit ADHD though, and can't sit very well. I have to get up between every piece, and even between every practice problem.

On a related note: What saddle do you ride on your bike? How did you arrive at a comfy bike saddle?

Learner
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
I do often find it odd that there are these ugly seats to go with these elegant looking pianos. Surely an ergonomic seat that looks good is not beyond our ken.

U
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
U
I would advice anyone that doesn't do this in his life to exercise, if possible.

Since i do things like push ups, deadlifts and squats my back has never been stronger, and i never have back problems anymore. (Before i did sometimes, like most people)

I think after playing piano, which comes in first place of course, fitness might be the second best thing you can do for yourself.

Even just a few push-ups a day will make your back stronger, you don't need any equipment for that.

Not sure if I'm still allowed to comment on here, I think you have to pay now. But in case this gets through... I spend most of my day in front of one keyboard or another. I type for a living and play piano for a hobby. I'm very conscious that if anything goes wrong with my ability to do either of those things, it will mess me up pretty thoroughly. With respect to the typing, the most expensive thing I have in my setup is an ergonomic chair. With respect to my piano playing, the most expensive thing I have in my setup is an antique piano stool ( or is it a bench?) I chose it because it's contemporary with my piano (1907) and it is beautiful. I find it is pretty good for spending 2-3 hours per day on the piano, and if I start to feel a strain i examine my posture, that's usually where the problem lies.

Q: Am I late beginner, or early intermediate? A: Yes!

Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best. ~ Henry Van Dyke
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by elenmirie
Not sure if I'm still allowed to comment on here, I think you have to pay now.

Elenmirie, the message said "The forums will likely be changing to an all subscription model soon." After that, there haven't been any updates about this. So you can still comment as much as you like to!

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Nowadays I use a wooden dining-room chair with a couple of books on the seat to raise height a little and about 5 thin dining-chair / garden chair thin cushion pads on top. Started using loads of cushions after a bicycle accident (which made sitting rather than slouching on a settee impossible for some years, hence my not playing the piano for such a long time).
It isn't ideal - but a chair is nice because it supports the back when stopping between pieces. Can sit back and think!
I have played on other people's pianos prior to the accident using padded benches and they were quite comfortable, but they were solid, non adjustable types. Quite nice, tbh, but never got round to buying one myself. For a while (before the accident) I used a drummers stool (throne?) which was a bit too wobbly but a good height - I suspect some adjustable benches suffer from wobbliness too. I wouldn't use one now because of said accident it would be too painful. Before that, ordinary dining-room chair with books and a cushion.....or when in idle mode, just the chair (which was too low, really)
Sitting on the edge? No way, which possibly explains my poor pedaling technique....
Seems that some people have this aspect sorted, the rest of us just treat it as a minor inconvenience.

regards
Pete
peterws Offline OP
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Tried 'em out. Drum thrones, with and without that comfy bike seat. Everything there; this was the most comfortable by far. Unfortunately it's not the best looking! Guess you can't have everything. . . .but it's sturdy and functional. What d'ya think?

https://www.promenademusic.co.uk/Quiklok-BX718-Bench

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by peterws
Tried 'em out. Drum thrones, with and without that comfy bike seat. Everything there; this was the most comfortable by far. Unfortunately it's not the best looking! Guess you can't have everything. . . .but it's sturdy and functional. What d'ya think?

https://www.promenademusic.co.uk/Quiklok-BX718-Bench

I bought a similar (?identical) seat from Amazon a few years ago: https://www.amazon.co.uk/BX-Quality-Keyboard-Bench-Extra-Thick/dp/B003R7KU8A

It felt OK initially but I soon felt that the cushion was just too soft and compressed too easily, and it felt like I was sitting on a hard surface within a few minutes. (BTW, I weigh less than 10st). I've since replaced it with a different bench......and subsequently added a firm cushion on top. Still not ideal, but better than anything else I've tried since (which doesn't include super duper super-expensive computer-controlled hydraulic robotic benches........).

Of course, it could be your version is different and has a much firmer cushion.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by U3piano
I would advice anyone that doesn't do this in his life to exercise, if possible.

Since i do things like push ups, deadlifts and squats my back has never been stronger, and i never have back problems anymore. (Before i did sometimes, like most people)

I think after playing piano, which comes in first place of course, fitness might be the second best thing you can do for yourself.

Even just a few push-ups a day will make your back stronger, you don't need any equipment for that.

I think most of us need to be more fit, and to have good posture -which also has the advantage of making playing easier. It's a shame there's no one-size-fits-all for posture and ergonomics.

Last edited by johnstaf; 09/10/19 06:43 PM.
peterws Offline OP
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by johnstaf
Originally Posted by U3piano

I think most of us need to be more fit, and to have good posture -which also has the advantage of making playing easier. It's a shame there's no one-size-fits-all for posture and ergonomics.

I did my bum in running too fast on a treadmill, though the signs were there and I ignored them. Somethings amiss with my left wrist now, doing chinups (the straight bar was too straight) and last time I did the Les Mills bike stuff, the air con wasn't switched on. It was hellish.
Cycle on the cycle path, and its dogs, kids, mobility scooters, motorised kids' scooters et al conspiring to bring you down.
Oh for the open road! Potholes not filled in from 3 years ago. . . .
Well! Nobody can say I didn't try . . . .

"[Linked Image]"
T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by peterws
last time I did the Les Mills bike stuff, the air con wasn't switched on. ...

That's interesting, I hadn't realised Les Mills operated in your part of the world. He lives just down the road and I thought he was restricted to New Zealand. Shows how much I know.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
peterws Offline OP
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
We get the impression its spread worldwide. Maybe Mr Mills sold out to the Yanks in California. It's those who we seem to deal with here, when they visit, for assessment and other purposes. They're good courses.

Regarding my seat; I finally settled for a comfy Quiklok X stand affair. I have to set it in on min otherwise it's too high! (Scratches head. Who designs these things?? I haven't got short legs . . .)

Last edited by peterws; 09/11/19 01:03 PM.

"[Linked Image]"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Break-ups are hard
by Athdara - 06/24/21 11:54 PM
(Question) VST-applied MIDI and live-recorded VST
by Saberlarry - 06/24/21 11:39 PM
Trying to identify the maker of my old piano
by PianoLover90 - 06/24/21 11:30 PM
Haunted Piano !?!
by Retsacnal - 06/24/21 07:34 PM
Do you have this problem with Steinway?
by RonaldSteinway - 06/24/21 06:38 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,690
Posts3,107,053
Members101,897
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission