2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
68 members (BlakeOR, 1957, 36251, accordeur, anotherscott, BrokenSymmetry, 12 invisible), 624 guests, and 622 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15
L
OP Offline
L
Ok, I personally feel they are very similar and depends on your personal preference after playing. However I have entered a few heated debate with some people who "claim" Yamaha is a better brand, hence charges more for its product, we are talking about comparing Apple with Apple, so same model with same specs, not a U1 with a Kawai Grand.
Some insists Yamaha make all their parts whilst Kawai outsources some of its own. (I think its a complete BS, but again I would like to argue with facts not tell them its BS.)
I do find Yamaha has clearer sound but it sounds a bit too sweet and electronic piano to me whilst Kawai is mellow.
Are there other facts supporting one brand is better than the other? And Yes, someone keeps telling that's why Yamaha charge more. :-( and they make more piano than Kawai. (that's rubbish imo, as if that's a reason to downgrade the quality of a piano brand, what about bosendorfer!!? hardly makes enough per year)

What am after here, does anyone know other facts to support Yamaha and Kawai are both premium quality Kawai based on ABCDEFGHJ.... is Yamaha German strings are better than Kawai etc? soundboard etc...

Sorry the Q sounds crazy but would be helpful if you could put an reasons down :-)

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Both companies build pianos of equal quality. You need to compare the equivalent series from each manufacturer, e.g. Shigeru Kawai with the more expensive Yamahas of the same size.

L
OP Offline
L
Yes I should've made it clear, mainly comparing Upright, can anyone state if you comparing the same model side by side, they are the same specs and same standard? a[part from personal preference? Or like I said in general, if you just compare 121cm, 131cm next to each other, who would you say they are equally as good (evidence?) thanks

Originally Posted by johnstaf
Both companies build pianos of equal quality. You need to compare the equivalent series from each manufacturer, e.g. Shigeru Kawai with the more expensive Yamahas of the same size.

K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
They don't directly compare model for model. A K300 is an excellent piano that sits somewhere between the P22 and the U1. A K500 sits between the U1 and the U3. Personally, I like Kawai sounds and Yamaha's actions. At the end of the day, they're both so close in quality that it's simply which one you prefer or can afford.

Kurt

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
A U1 similar to K300,
U3 similar to K500
YUS5 is Similar to K800
Kawai is a more mellow sound ,if you can find a really good one,which you should as long as
there are no buzzing sounds.
Yamaha should be brighter but not too bright.!
Who wants to stare at very bright red for too long ?.A Yamaha with a nice tone is what you
want .They are the same !
Very good pianos both !

Last edited by Lady Bird; 09/06/19 03:00 AM. Reason: Missing word
j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Both Kawai and Yamaha make good to great pianos depending on how much money you want to spend. Overall the sound is somewhat different and the actions feels somewhat different because Kawai uses the Millennium iii action. I personally prefer the feel of the Yamaha but carbon fiber is a strong tough material and I would think it might be a big advantage in a high humidity environment. It really all depends on what the buyer likes.
In my mind it’s like asking is a hot dog or a hamburger the perfect stadium food? Or nachos vs a soft pretzel.
Because both companies have been locked in competition for so long, when one company comes out with new technology, the other is hot on its heels. The good news for us is, you really can’t go wrong with whichever piano you pick.
We can post and argue about Yamaha has this or Kawai does that, but in the end both make wonderful pianos.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
My piano’s voice is beautiful!
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
"Does Yamaha make better pianos than Kawai" - simple answer "generally, no". Having been involved in buying quite a few upright pianos over the years for schools and Churches - the equivalent YUS YAMAHAs (back in the old days "U") have an equivalent in KAWAI K series (today's naming) - and they were difficult to split, both being good.

There was always a discrepancy in price - sometimes Y is cheaper, other times K. There is a difference in tone and touch - and that's a personal preference more than anything. If it was a classroom piano, I tended to prefer the K tone, but if I was to put one into a hall, I tended to go for a U3 (YUS5) as they tended to have a bit more projection for that situation.

In the pianos at the "low" $$€€££ end of the spectrum, I always felt that the Kawai was a nicer small upright piano - but not much in it, and some people preferred the other way round.

Grands - more or less similar. I preferred the larger KAWAI (like 7') - but again there wasn't much in it.

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Is a Honda better then a Toyota?

Pick the one you like best.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400
Schimmel SP-182T "I wish I had the room to keep you around"
August Forster 215
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
No offense intended to anyone, but each brand offers such a range of products that, outside of their small segment of premium products, are really about being in the middle. It's hard to be substantive of have more depth when, despite our personal preferences, swaps could be made without a dramatic affect on the performance.
Originally Posted by Learux
Is a Honda better then a Toyota?

Pick the one you like best.

I drive a Honda Accord. I like it because it has a V6 and manual transmission. Otherwise, it has a myriad of average things that could be better, but do the job. It has a few disappointments that I would change. I'm sure I could have found a Toyota. Or I could have looked for a car that I was more passionate about.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
L
L
One thing I have found in my limited experience is that with similar Kawai and Yamaha grands that have had a lot of playing (often located in academies etc), the Yamahas tend to age a little bit worse. Especially in terms of the harshness of the tone to my ears...

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Everybody used to say that if you could put Yamaha's action into a Kawai, then you'd have something. (That's not so much the case, anymore. 😆)

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by lbuizza
One thing I have found in my limited experience is that with similar Kawai and Yamaha grands that have had a lot of playing (often located in academies etc), the Yamahas tend to age a little bit worse. Especially in terms of the harshness of the tone to my ears...

Because Yamaha pianos tend to begin with a brighter tone, without regular voicing, they will become harsh sooner. That's totally serviceable unless the hammers are too worn or have been mistreated with bad voicing techniques. I have seen the same on many brands, actually, including well regarded models from European makers that begin life with a brighter tone.

In my experience, in the heaviest use venues (borderline abusive conditions), Yamaha's institutional models of the last 50 years fair a bit better than Kawai's institutional models in a few important areas. In moderate or frequent use of the same comparable models, I see no clear brand advantage, though certain versions of certain models did better than others. In serviceability, I see no clear advantage to either.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by lbuizza

If anyone searches my history here you will find that until about 5 years ago my opinion on Yamaha was consistent. They are very well made pianos but I prefer a warmer tone.

With the tonal changes that Yamaha has made across the board this is no longer an issue for me. I truly like these pianos, so along with the best in terms of technical support and training, dealer support, breadth of product, and customer support after delivery, they are just well engineered instruments. I became a Yamaha dealer - 2 1/2 years a go now. I have not regretted the decision for a moment.

I have been a Kawai dealer in my past as well. I prefer Yamaha for many reasons, but if you find a Kawai that speaks to you and you have a technician that understands the piano and you are comfortable with, then choose the piano you like best and enjoy!

My 2 cents,

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Yamaha and Kawai are not as similar as many people think, an analogy to cars (Honda/Toyota) is plain silly and of no use for someone interested in music and pianos. Quality control and stability for both brands are unquestionable and perhaps the best in the industry, rather than that these are two very different companies and pianos.
Today any Kawai model is better to its equivalent piano made by Yamaha regardless of the preference of anybody; ultimately the choice of a person can be highly subjective.
What has made Kawai a superior product to Yamaha is the consistent curve of development implemented by Kawai as a piano manufacturer, there is not one piano maker currently that had invested in constant development of their products for as long as Kawai.
If we compare the K-25 to the K-3 the improvement is substantial, comparing the K-3 to the K-300 the improvements are even greater than the transition from the K-25 to the K-3. Another item that always puzzles me is that looking at the number of Yamaha uprights made and taking into consideration how basic they are built, the manufacturing cost of U1 should be lower than the equivalent Kawai.

San Mateo Piano
Kawai Piano Dealer San Francisco Bay Area
www.sanmateopiano.com
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
I think that a U1/K300, U3/K500, Honda/Toyota comparison makes perfect sense.

I only tried to illustrate that whatever model you buy, you really can't go wrong.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400
Schimmel SP-182T "I wish I had the room to keep you around"
August Forster 215

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content

6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kurtmen
Another item that always puzzles me is that looking at the number of Yamaha uprights made and taking into consideration how basic they are built, the manufacturing cost of U1 should be lower than the equivalent Kawai.

Why does this puzzle you?

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Kurtmen
Yamaha and Kawai are not as similar as many people think, an analogy to cars (Honda/Toyota) is plain silly and of no use for someone interested in music and pianos. Quality control and stability for both brands are unquestionable and perhaps the best in the industry, rather than that these are two very different companies and pianos.
Today any Kawai model is better to its equivalent piano made by Yamaha regardless of the preference of anybody; ultimately the choice of a person can be highly subjective.
What has made Kawai a superior product to Yamaha is the consistent curve of development implemented by Kawai as a piano manufacturer, there is not one piano maker currently that had invested in constant development of their products for as long as Kawai.
If we compare the K-25 to the K-3 the improvement is substantial, comparing the K-3 to the K-300 the improvements are even greater than the transition from the K-25 to the K-3. Another item that always puzzles me is that looking at the number of Yamaha uprights made and taking into consideration how basic they are built, the manufacturing cost of U1 should be lower than the equivalent Kawai.

Well I preferred the U1 to the K300 when I tried the K300 out.That was based on long day of playing
many different uprights.There were two K300 models the one buzzed as if there something loose
in the piano.The other one although it did not buzz just did not appeal to me.
I then tried the K500 and just love this instrument! Strangely enough I rather like the K400 as well.
That K500 was similar to a U3 that I also thought very nice.But of course different colour tones, but BOTH very nice.
I must say I think a new U1 is very overpriced! One may as well just buy a U3,K400,K500 or even a nice sized Boston upright or a GL Kawai grand ?

Last edited by Lady Bird; 09/06/19 05:58 PM. Reason: Spelling
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Why does this puzzle you?

Because it seems not to be an issue for Yamaha dealers. The pianos are heavily discounted at a retail level, on the flip side taking into consideration this is a very basic built, and these models have been in production for a very long time in high volumes; I feel on average Yamaha makes more money per unit wholesaling than the dealers retailing.

San Mateo Piano
Kawai Piano Dealer San Francisco Bay Area
www.sanmateopiano.com

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content

6000 Post Club Member
it seems not to be an issue

Ok

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S

Ok, I personally feel they are very similar and depends on your personal preference after playing. However I have entered a few heated debate with some people who "claim" Yamaha is a better brand, hence charges more for its product, we are talking about comparing Apple with Apple, so same model with same specs, not a U1 with a Kawai Grand.
Some insists Yamaha make all their parts whilst Kawai outsources some of its own.

Bosendorfer, which is a wholly owned subsidiary of Yamaha, outsources their action manufacturing to Renner. Nobody seems to think that is a problem.

Play classical repertoire from score. Improvise blues.
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
bouncing keys and hammers
by chopin_r_us - 05/08/21 02:41 PM
To change from Yamaha, Casio, Roland, Kawai, Korg etc...
by playplayplay - 05/08/21 02:16 PM
Pianists interviewing Pianists
by MrShed - 05/08/21 01:53 PM
Concerns about piano teacher
by Rokushji - 05/08/21 01:18 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,798
Posts3,091,223
Members101,453
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission