2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
73 members (Beansparrow, c++, APianistHasNoName, anotherscott, Damien PG, bhmpower, brdwyguy, 16 invisible), 1,383 guests, and 706 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sweelinck
I have heard that Steinway uses a machine in their factories to depress the keys repeatedly in a piano being built to break in the hammers. That may an example of the extra engineering you get on a new premium brand piano that contributes to the higher cost. I once played a new Bosendorfer upright that had yet to be prepped for sale, and then went back to the store, and played it again after prep. The difference was quite significant.

Steinway is not the only brand that breaks in the hemmers. Here is a link to the machine made by one of forum members who is a rebuilder

Key pounder

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Every factory I've seen has one of these machines, and many larger-scale rebuilders do, also. The amount of time it spends under the pounding machine, and the number of times the pianos get regulated varies.

My upright piano is for sale!
Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
I wonder if I can send my piano to get pounded? grin You know, to break it in.

Kawai K-500
Casio PX-735 (in retirement)
only one method ,call the KAWAI japan, ask them directly ,or send a mail

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by letsplayit
Thanks, so in short you think a second hand piano plays or sounds nicer than a brand new out of the box? [...]

That's not what posters are saying in this thread. A piano that has been sitting on a dealer's floor and that has been tuned several times, regulated and (perhaps) voiced as well during that time, even if it's a year or more, is not a "second hand" piano. It is, however, much more likely to be tuning-stable.

A second hand piano, on the other hand, is one that has been owned by a purchaser, and may have a "history" of use. I don't think anyone is intentionally saying that a second-hand piano sounds better than a brand new piano. That's comparing two quite different instruments.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
"A Brand New Piano" is one just very recently moved from the warehouse to the dealer.
It is also (horror story)a Piano Moved Immediately From The Crate To Your House.(no prep at all)
A New Piano is one that has been on the Showroom Floor of the Dealer from About a Year to Two
or Three Years.
This is good and the piano will have been tuned a Number of Times and Regulated.
People will have Played the piano even Kids.But the piano Needs this.(no extra pounding machines will be needed !)
Unless you want one very new from the warehouse and you want to Pay for 3 to 4 tunings a year.
Depending on the piano ,the piano WILL NOT be very nice Until it has 6 to 8 tunings !
This could take a Year or More .That Yamaha I had ,I was ready to send Back to the factory to be Pounded for ETERNITY !
A floor model is still New. You get the full Warranty.No one has Owned Or Rented this piano before.
Still find out Age,History etc.
If the piano has been on the floor for about 4 years,ask for a lower price! You never know ?

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Actually I should not say that ! That U1 definitely had potential. The problem was completely
just that it had been in the shop just a few days ? So it was an intensely moody piano, and not
it a good way .,well not often !
It needed a few more tunings .I cannot afford to tune every month as much as I would love to.
We did get 2 free tunings after I started to drive the dealer crazy and we paid for 2 more.I think
it would have taken at least 8 or even 10 before it settled down.
It also had to be needled a few times because of the metalic tone it would suddenly develop.

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Let'sPlayIt ,Have we driven you away ?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by letsplayit
Thanks, so in short you think a second hand piano plays or sounds nicer than a brand new out of the box? But I believe a car would drive a lot nicer after you take it for some spins not performing the best as brand new, however people prefer to buy brand new car right? Unless they get a decent discount? thanks

Originally Posted by backto_study_piano
Ask them.

Some of the best pianos are floor stock, they've likely been tuned and adjusted to be perfect - unlike some which come out of a box. But you're unlikely to pay less for one (unless it's got some damage), as people are well aware that they're often a better piano.

I can recall some pianos which I'd seen a couple of years before and had rejected them as poor - but when I played them a couple of years later were great in comparison. They were grands - I'm not so sure with uprights.

That said, a couple of both YAMAHAs and KAWAIs I've seen straight out of the box were good to start with.

No - I wasn't talking about 2nd hand pianos - but a new piano which has been carefully regulated, tuned, voiced - probably several (or many) times so the dealer can have a piano to demonstrate which is close to perfect.

A new piano, straight out of the box, may not perform anything like as well. I well remember going to a showroom (on appointment) to play a Tier 1 approx 7' piano for an extended session - and I noticed they had a brand new, smaller model which I hadn't seen before. I wandered over and played it - it was awful, the touch and tone were both inconsistent, the tuning wasn't really good. I commented - she said that it had been unpacked the day before and only tuned once!!! I went across to the ~7' piano which I was there to play - as the technician was finishing installing the action - which he'd been fine-tuning for my visit. I knew that ~7' piano had been there for quite a few weeks, and each time I played it, it was better. That "new" piano I tried a few times more - and yes, it improved.

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
letsplayit

Be practical if it matters much to you the manufacturing year, then have the dealer deliver a piano in the box. If you like the display model have an independent technician check the piano, this is more for your comfort as it is likely there is nothing wrong with it.

San Mateo Piano
Kawai Piano Dealer San Francisco Bay Area
www.sanmateopiano.com
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
.nausicaa OP. (elementary version)
by WarDesu - 07/23/21 07:09 PM
Selling the sizzle if not the steak
by cfhosford - 07/23/21 06:25 PM
For the Experts
by Epee - 07/23/21 12:43 PM
Another question about piano positioning
by Cassia - 07/23/21 12:16 PM
1992 Yamaha C3 vs new CX2
by MusterMark - 07/23/21 10:19 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,177
Posts3,115,853
Members102,217
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission