2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, 11 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 73 of 237 1 2 71 72 73 74 75 236 237
R
R
Originally Posted by Adagios

Today i went to the Local store testing a brand new N1X, and it has a same problem that i described in these few days.About this weird issues,The salesman give me an idea that in the real acoustic piano,there's no damper from F3-C5 keys, So the string resonance been simulated when yamaha's workers taking the audio sample (sorry for my english grammar),and that's why it could happend something link this.
After i back home, I countiue testing my N1X and this time i found not only that specific note , there actully more than one key from F3-C5 has this problem. and when i put my headphone on or change my body poistion,this problem gone away (headphone is the best solution for now) .

If this problem is not exist on your headphone, it should have more relationship with sound environment.
Or we can say, the speaker system enlarges this character of sampling source.
Maybe you can change different piano sound to see the result.
When I played on N1x with some VST source at my friend home, I have not noticed this problem.

CA98+ART RM5~~RME ADI2 DAC+tube Pre-Amp
VSL CFX&D274&Bluthner1895, Pianoteq7, Ivory2 ACD, Galaxy VintageD&StD, Bechstein DG, Embertone 1955Walker
P
P
Originally Posted by newer player
Equipment placement and furniture tweaking are great ways to adjust the sound.

Try "placing" the piano to several different positions in room. Say a meter from the back wall (or 2 or 1.5 or 0.5). Then try a meter to the left (or 2 or 1.5 or 0.5). To the right. Even a few cm can make a big difference. Try closer to a corner. Try the other walls. Try a different room.

You can retry the placement tests with "furniture" changes. That would include: add/move/remove a rug. Open/Close window curtains. Move a sofa. Bookcases can have a great impact on sound so maybe try a bookcase in a few places. Hanging a thick shagy carpet or very thick curtains on the wall in front of the piano may help both acoustics (and home design if you live in the scandanavia).

If the piano is on a hardwood floor, it might sound different if you put it on a rug (or casters if they fit).

You don't need to go to extremes but a simple rebalance (e.g. Don't put shag rug on floor/walls/roof and add a bunch of fluffy furniture or room will sound dead. Don't remove all the rugs and furniture so you just have an echo chamber.)

Thank you very much for your suggestion !

1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Just my 2 cents:

The environment has huge impact on the acoustics (one of two main reasons I much prefer headphones for almost any audio these days; the other one is no disturbance to others).

If you are really into this, then here is what you can do:

1. Download a simple sound presure metering app (SoundMeter, etc.) to your smartphone - just make sure it supports Z-weighting (see Wikipedia for details if you are not sure what this is);
2. Download audio files for all frequencies you are curious about;
3. Wait for a quiet evening with low ambient, play all these files sequentially through N1X internal speakers as BT device, and write down the measured sound level value for each file/frequency.

You will get a pretty good acoustic map of your room by repeating step 3 for different piano and recorder locations. You will end up with having frequency response chart for every location where you did measurements.

I bet, if your room has any relatively big furniture, glass or crystal doors/windows/anything, shades, etc, you will be surprised at how far from even these charts will be, and the higher the frequency, the more the result is affected by location where you measure it. And we don't even count harmonic resonances and other side effects/distortions caused by environment here (these would require spectrum analysis which is mostly useless because of unavoidable ambient in any urban environment).

The only way to evercome this 'feature' to some degree (except professional acoustic room treatment) is to switch DP output to external monitors through good equalizer, and set EQ to compensate for measured dips and spikes in frequency chart for your preferred location IMO. Oh, and never move furniture after that, or all your previous efforts are trashed!!! laugh

Myself, I just listen to whatever sound I can get without much effort. I still remember 78 rpm vynil records, 8mm video, and B&W TV to be as picky as teens are these days.

Last edited by VladK; 08/29/19 07:00 PM.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Are we still blaming the environment? laugh

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
What do people with acoustic pianos do?

Put a rug under the piano.
Put up more/heavier draperies.
etc.
etc.
etc.

No "equipment" needed. Simple.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Rug, ottomans, cardboard with a black comforter on top. If you need to adjust the volume up you move stuff around. Volume control of 1 to 11.

That bit of using cardboard with a black comforter on top works a charm. Keeps the dust out too.

Nord Grand, Kawai MP11 (v1), iMac 2017, Yamaha HS8's, Sennheiser 650, Focusrite 2i4, Pianoteq 6.4.0, Steinway Model A, Mason and Hamlin Model AA, Piano Marvel: 3C
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Timely discussions on rugs, ottomans, and such. So as part of the reshuffle in my flat and interior design, I may wait until the dust settles after my interior designer gets me new furniture & furnishings, and then do proper acoustical measurements of my rooms for piano, stereo, and TV. I never bothered before because I mostly use headphones, but if I am going to be making everything "comfy" then have nicely tuned room acoustics is certainly more "comfy."

With regard to my N1X, I haven't really investigated, but I assume there is no fine-grain adjustments for EQ. Is that correct?

In that case, would it be possible to send the N1X sound to my computer, do software EQ and send it back to the N1X via the aux-in port? Would that work? The piano would have to be able to send audio to the line-out port without playing that audio from the N1X speakers, and then accept an aux-in audio signal and play that from the speakers instead. If that's possible, how would I do that? Would I need to set something on the piano?

(I might consider getting monitors too which I could EQ fairly easily, but I expect my neighbors would start picketing me.)

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
I cannot speak for the N1X. But my Clav sends audio to the line outputs even when local control is off.

Then the question becomes: will the piano play audio coming from the line inputs, even when local control is off.
I've never tried that.

Assuming that second question gets a yes answer ... you don't have to use a computer for EQ.
A normal stereo equalizer can be inserted into the chain. Piano outputs to EQ inputs. EQ outputs to piano inputs.
And you avoid a double conversion loop (piano analog to computer digital ... digital EQ ... computer digital to piano analog.

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by MacMacMac

Then the question becomes: will the piano play audio coming from the line inputs, even when local control is off.

The answer to that should be yes. Local control only severs the connection between the keyboard and the internal tone generator. It doesn't disable the line in, turn off the speakers, or even disable the internal tone generator (you can still play your piano's native sounds with local control off).

Of course when you do that whole line-out/in thing you lose the whole surround/multichannel output aspect of the AvantGrands, and are reduced to stereo, which would be a pity.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Could we retrofit a multi-channel ‘in’ audio card into an AvantGrand? Or perhaps use an external multi-channel card and then figure out the AvantGrand audio chain and hack the heck out of it?

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pete14
Could we retrofit a multi-channel ‘in’ audio card into an AvantGrand? Or perhaps use an external multi-channel card and then figure out the AvantGrand audio chain and hack the heck out of it?

If I could hack the N1X, I'd figure out how to hack a fine-grain EQ into it. That would solve everything smile

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Then let’s get to work. Who’s up for the AvantGrand hack? smile

Could "we" do all that? ...
Originally Posted by Pete14
No. That's a job for Cyber Gene.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I guess since I will be hacking around with the N1X, I can also try to replace the grand piano action with an upright action? laugh

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
J
J
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Timely discussions on rugs, ottomans, and such. So as part of the reshuffle in my flat and interior design, I may wait until the dust settles after my interior designer gets me new furniture & furnishings, and then do proper acoustical measurements of my rooms for piano, stereo, and TV.

(I might consider getting monitors too which I could EQ fairly easily, but I expect my neighbors would start picketing me.)

When my N1X arrives I plan on putting it in a room that hasn’t been acoustically treated (yet). Since I want to use Garritan CFX for the sound I though a nice pair of near-field monitors might be a good solution. I ended up going with a pair of Genelec 8331’s which can be used as close as 0.4 meters (since they are three-way point source) which will help exclude the room sound. There is also a kit you can purchase separately that will measure the room acoustics and make automatic software corrections on the monitors to optimize performance for that location. It seems like a good solution, although somewhat expensive. I am anxious to see how well it works when everything arrives.

Yamaha N1X, P-515.
Genelec 8331 monitors and 7350 sub.
VI’s: Garritan CFX, VSL Bösendorfer Upright, and VSL Blüthner 1895. Pianoteq.
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JJHLH
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Timely discussions on rugs, ottomans, and such. So as part of the reshuffle in my flat and interior design, I may wait until the dust settles after my interior designer gets me new furniture & furnishings, and then do proper acoustical measurements of my rooms for piano, stereo, and TV.

When my N1X arrives I plan on putting it in a room that hasn’t been acoustically treated (yet). Since I want to use Garritan CFX for the sound I though a nice pair of near-field monitors might be a good solution. I ended up going with a pair of Genelec 8331’s which can be used as close as 0.4 meters (since they are three-way point source) which will help exclude the room sound. There is also a kit you can purchase separately that will measure the room acoustics and make automatic software corrections on the monitors to optimize performance for that location. It seems like a good solution, although somewhat expensive. I am anxious to see how well it works when everything arrives.

What kit are you referring to? These days you can do it yourself without the need of a expensive kit, if you have a good microphone.

[Linked Image]

This is making me ill !!!
When my N1X arrives ...
I ended up going with a pair of Genelec 8331s
At that price does the piano really need separate speakers?
The internal units are not good enough, and it requires an additional spend of $2200 each for a pair of monitors?

This it putting me off the thought of buying an N1X in the near future.
Must I really spend thousands for speakers on top of the many thousands for the piano?
If so, I'm beginning to wonder whether I might do as well with a P515 (and pocket the $10,000 savings).

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
When my N1X arrives ...
The internal units are not good enough, and it requires an additional spend of $2200 each for a pair of monitors?

Must I really spend thousands for speakers on top of the many thousands for the piano?

Seriously Mac, I think you really need to start taking your advice to heart ("Go play and listen to the instrument yourself, and make your choice based on that. Don't depend on what others say or claim.")
smile

The N1X doesn't have the world's best speaker setup. Or even the best among high end DPs. If it did, there wouldn't be an N2, or an N3X. When I last tested the N1, the NV-10 projected significantly more and sounded more realistic to me as well. The entire point of the N1X is a lower-cost AvantGrand that compromises a bit on the speakers.

And who knows, you may not even think it needs any replacement/augmentation at all. Hopefully not a surprisingly proposition, as we're all different, have different standards and different needs. It can't be that hard to find a location that stocks an N1X in NC, go play one for yourself and make your mind based on that!

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
It will be two years more until Mac finally settles on which piano to be put off by smile

BTW, lately I started playing on speakers right after I return home from work, it’s also when neighbors don’t complain since it’s still too noisy around with kids screaming outside, car horns, etc. and wife still outside with our daughter and I can have 30 minutes of peace.

I really think the N1X sounds great. Maybe it’s not as good as N3X and I don’t know how NV10 is but the N1X is certainly A LOT better than say a CA78. It may be the entry level of the AvantGrand but doesn’t mean it’s bad. Far from it.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gombessa
When my N1X arrives ...

Seriously Mac, I think you really need to start taking your advice to heart ("Go play and listen to the instrument yourself, and make your choice based on that. Don't depend on what others say or claim.")
smile

The N1X doesn't have the world's best speaker setup. Or even the best among high end DPs. If it did, there wouldn't be an N2, or an N3X. When I last tested the N1, the NV-10 projected significantly more and sounded more realistic to me as well. The entire point of the N1X is a lower-cost AvantGrand that compromises a bit on the speakers.

And who knows, you may not even think it needs any replacement/augmentation at all. Hopefully not a surprisingly proposition, as we're all different, have different standards and different needs. It can't be that hard to find a location that stocks an N1X in NC, go play one for yourself and make your mind based on that!

When I went to make my final decision, after listening, I decided that the sound of the NV10 was better through speakers than the N1X but the sound through headphones of the latter was so much better it blew me away. Since I mostly use headphones, that alone pretty much made my decision for me. But if I had been one to use speakers most of the time, it was clear the sound of the NV10 was better - I wouldn't say it was enormously better, but enough to be clearly better.

[Linked Image]

Page 73 of 237 1 2 71 72 73 74 75 236 237

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission