2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (BillS728, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, colinvda, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, 6 invisible), 2,122 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 38 of 81 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 80 81
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist
Didn't' take 4. I've taken 3, 5 and 6 now.

For ear training, I practiced using the RCM online tools. You can get access to that if you purchase the sight reading book. But there are plenty of other ear training tools you can elsewhere. Practice the melody playback as well. Perhaps your teacher can help you there by using some of the practice time for ear training.

Do you have the sight reading / ear training book for 4? If not, I'll send you a screenshot of the melody playback examples in it.

Thanks. I do have the ear training book for 4, but I was wondering if there were any other training methods or tools. I really haven't started ear training, so I'd better get cracking. whome Do you suggest I start from the beginning (ear training for level 1, etc) or jump right into 4? Fortunately, I'm in a better state on the sight reading! smile

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
I’m also curious about ear training. My teacher does some with me in class but it’s so little. When I try to practice them at home I don’t know if I’ve done them right because there’s no one there to give me feedback. I wonder if there’s an app or program like Piano Marvel that can give immediate feedback for ear training?

Kawai K500
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I mainly stuck with the RCM tools, and the practice with my teacher during lessons (usually the last 5 to 10 minutes). I do have a phone app called Perfect Ear, which I've used from time to time. Melody playback is best practiced with a teacher, or someone else.

Tyrone - try the ear training practice at level 4 and see how you do. If you think it's difficult, go back to an earlier level. The RCM tool gives you feedback, so you'll know how you are doing.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
I mainly stuck with the RCM tools, and the practice with my teacher during lessons (usually the last 5 to 10 minutes). I do have a phone app called Perfect Ear, which I've used from time to time. Melody playback is best practiced with a teacher, or someone else.

Tyrone - try the ear training practice at level 4 and see how you do. If you think it's difficult, go back to an earlier level. The RCM tool gives you feedback, so you'll know how you are doing.

I see...thanks.

Kawai K500
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Melody playback is best practiced with a teacher, or someone else.

I've seen some melody playback training apps on the App Store, Meludia being one. Have you tried any of these? Why do you feel melody playback is best practiced with someone else? (Just trying to understand so I don't waste time down a 'melody playback' rabbit hole.)

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Since we're on this topic, I found this blog post that lists some apps that might be helpful for ear training, in case anyone might be interested.

https://www.piano-pieces.com/blog/2016/12/14/ipad-x-rcm-ear-training

Kawai K500
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Melody playback is best practiced with a teacher, or someone else.

I've seen some melody playback training apps on the App Store, Meludia being one. Have you tried any of these? Why do you feel melody playback is best practiced with someone else? (Just trying to understand so I don't waste time down a 'melody playback' rabbit hole.)

I guess if the app tells you what you got wrong, or what the melody is, you'll still be OK. When I was working with my teacher, she would identify the part I had trouble with, e.g., was it a skip, step, or something else. I found that feedback to be helpful.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand
Since we're on this topic, I found this blog post that lists some apps that might be helpful for ear training, in case anyone might be interested.

Thanks! Let me know if you find the Clapback app there, "Rhythm Training." I didn't see it in the App Store.

[Linked Image]

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand

Thanks! Let me know if you find the Clapback app there, "Rhythm Training." I didn't see it in the App Store.

I do see it...It's called "Rhythm Training (Sight Reading)"??? At least I think that's what the author of that blog meant. I haven't looked at it yet. I noticed there are other rhythm training apps there too. I will need to check them out this weekend.

Last edited by WeakLeftHand; 08/29/19 01:22 PM.

Kawai K500
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I found starting of with ear training apps quite difficult because the few I tried didn't sound like a real piano. However Functional Ear Trainer (not sure if there is an android version) is one that I thought really helped.

Intervals are relatively easy to learn if you associate each one with the first notes of a song. (Here) is a list.

Using Muscore and Audacity (one to create the other to record) I created a lot of personalised exercises.

I don't know about any other syllabus but AMEB has a book of ear training exercises, (with Cd's), typically used in the exams from preliminary to grade 8. I use this quite a bit. Currently my favourite Cd in the car smirk

For ABRSM I know some people really like E-MusicMaestro, but unfortunately not suited for AMEB

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Well, I'm registered for my RCM Level 4 exam. Absolutely last time slot on the last day, December 10th. smile

I've learned all the notes on my 3 repertoire pieces and 2 etudes and can play in draft form. Now I've got just over 3 months to get them really up to snuff.

[Linked Image]

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Well, I'm registered for my RCM Level 4 exam. Absolutely last time slot on the last day, December 10th. smile

I've learned all the notes on my 3 repertoire pieces and 2 etudes and can play in draft form. Now I've got just over 3 months to get them really up to snuff.

Good luck and keep us updated.

[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Good luck!

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Amazing! Oddly jealous of you exam guys!

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
cmb13 #2887319 09/05/19 05:13 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by cmb13
Amazing! Oddly jealous of you exam guys!

Sort of like in college if you are stuck in the rare pass/fail class and going to your professor and begging for a grade. wink

[Linked Image]

K
K
I received a borderline pass for my piano exam this year. For the first time in all aspects of my life in many years, I am at a loss as to what to do next. I had put in 100% effort to prepare for this exam and when the outcome is what it is, I don't know if I should still continue lessons/piano. Things will only get harder and I can't put in more effort than what I had already put in.

For me, the exam served as an independent opinion of my playing (apart from my teacher's). With such a poor exam result, I am wondering if there is a still a point to continue. My aspirations and hopes for the final objectives of pursuing this area have somewhat been extinguished.

[Linked Image]
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kingfisher
My aspirations and hopes for the final objectives of pursuing this area have somewhat been extinguished.

What was your purpose/objective in learning to play the piano? This is a serious question.

[Linked Image]

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I received a borderline pass for my piano exam this year. For the first time in all aspects of my life in many years, I am at a loss as to what to do next. I had put in 100% effort to prepare for this exam and when the outcome is what it is, I don't know if I should still continue lessons/piano. Things will only get harder and I can't put in more effort than what I had already put in.

For me, the exam served as an independent opinion of my playing (apart from my teacher's). With such a poor exam result, I am wondering if there is a still a point to continue. My aspirations and hopes for the final objectives of pursuing this area have somewhat been extinguished.

I'd be devastated.
It might be useful to take a small break and then get back in touch with how you feel when you play.

Learner
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I received a borderline pass for my piano exam this year. .

well congratulations anyway.......a pass is still a pass. I know it must be hard but try to look for the positives.......did you enjoy the journey for example?

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member

Yet exams and exam grades are not the be-all and end-all of learning to play the piano. If you enjoy the piano and get some satisfaction from playing and learning, then it's all good.

Your earlier post here suggests it's time to find a new teacher, and my suggestion would be one who is not exam oriented. You need time to consolidate what you have learned and to go back (new teacher, different approach) over what didn't work for you in the exam. Good luck!

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

Page 38 of 81 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 80 81

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission