2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
80 members (36251, c++, brdwyguy, Bruce In Philly, ambrozy, 22 invisible), 1,392 guests, and 609 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by cmb13
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I think at least as important(probably much more important) than a discussion of each person's practice routine for scales(I played a few over 60 years ago), is having the correct technical knowledge about playing scales.

In a separate vein, I not at all sure it makes sense for beginners or intermediates to practice endless varieties of each scale, i.e. contrary motion, a third apart, a sixth apart, crescendo, decrescendo, staccato, etc. Perhaps better to work mostly on getting a basic four octave scale even, smooth, appropriately fast for one's level, and with proper technique.

Good.....b/c I have no intention of doing 3rds, 6ths, etc at this time!

That doesn't happen until RCM 10, and 4 octave scales are introduced in 8. I don't mind waiting smile

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
FWIW ...

Day 1: C/Am, G/Em, D/Bm
Day 2: A/F#m, E/C#m, B/G#m
Day 3: F/Dm, Bb/Gm, Eb/Cm
Day 4: Ab/Fm, Db/Bbm, Gb/Ebm

I generally practice 5-6 days a week (and I hit the 6 days about 2/3 of the time), so I guess I'm hitting any particular scale about three times every two weeks.

Decent upright bassist; aspiring decent pianist
Present: Roland DP-603, Roland RD-2000, Yamaha MX61, Casio CDP-130
Past: Roland FP-30, Casio PX-160, Casio PX-830
Etc.: PianoTeq Stage 7 (Bechstein, Bluethner, U4), Roland KC-80
C
C
I practice a scale a week (major and relative minor (harmonic and melodic). I also practice the major arpeggio. This seems to work for me.
The following week I move up the circle of fifths to the next key.

When I had a teacher this is how I was instructed to practice scales and arpeggios.

Good luck!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I think at least as important(probably much more important) than a discussion of each person's practice routine for scales(I played a few over 60 years ago), is having the correct technical knowledge about playing scales.

In a separate vein, I not at all sure it makes sense for beginners or intermediates to practice endless varieties of each scale, i.e. contrary motion, a third apart, a sixth apart, crescendo, decrescendo, staccato, etc. Perhaps better to work mostly on getting a basic four octave scale even, smooth, appropriately fast for one's level, and with proper technique.

I agree. All of this adds up to a lot of used up time at the piano, which should be spent mostly (IMHO) learning repertoire. I warm up by playing all major and harmonic minor scales, then major arpeggios, which takes me about about 15 minutes. I do a few other technical exercises like a few selected triads/inversions, a few scales in octaves, a couple formula pattern, then a quick bit of sight reading. All told, around 35 minutes.

I used to put a ton of time into technical, but found that this routine keeps me supple and it's been tremendously helpful when learning pieces in more challenging keys. That quick arpeggio warm-up made playing Satie's Gnossienne #4 WAY easier than it might have been! I knew where my fingers were going anyway, so the left hand was simple. I'd rather give the bulk of my practice to repertoire, which is where I really need it. Technical improves quickly over time if you keep it up, and you get through things faster as you go along. You get used to it and pretty soon it's turned into a warm-up, so you can then tackle the meat and potatoes of what we're really there for to begin with: the music.

Lisa
Chief Cook & Pot Scrubber @ Cunningham Piano Club 🎹
Cunningham Studio Grand & Yamaha CLP645

"I tell my piano the things I used to tell you." - Frederic Chopin
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ebonykawai

I agree. All of this adds up to a lot of used up time at the piano, which should be spent mostly (IMHO) learning repertoire. I warm up by playing all major and harmonic minor scales, then major arpeggios, which takes me about about 15 minutes. I do a few other technical exercises like a few selected triads/inversions, a few scales in octaves, a couple formula pattern, then a quick bit of sight reading. All told, around 35 minutes.

I used to put a ton of time into technical, but found that this routine keeps me supple and it's been tremendously helpful when learning pieces in more challenging keys. That quick arpeggio warm-up made playing Satie's Gnossienne #4 WAY easier than it might have been! I knew where my fingers were going anyway, so the left hand was simple. I'd rather give the bulk of my practice to repertoire, which is where I really need it. Technical improves quickly over time if you keep it up, and you get through things faster as you go along. You get used to it and pretty soon it's turned into a warm-up, so you can then tackle the meat and potatoes of what we're really there for to begin with: the music.

Interesting - I agree with you 100% in principal, but what you are supporting and what you are doing seems incongruous. The 35 min does not sound like a quick warm up. It leads back to my thoughts of using repertoire for warm up as mentioned in this thread. . For instance, using some Bach for warm ups. I still use and plan on continuing scales but I just don’t have time for 35 min of it per day.

Last edited by cmb13; 08/24/19 09:43 AM.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
D
D
"Practicing every major scale per day isnt quite working for me."

The procedure is simple, but requires patience; work on one scale at a time until perfected, then move onto the next. Shampoo, lather, rinse, and repeat - until all are perfected.

Some will of course take longer than others to learn, but with practice comes familarity, and with that familiarity comes comfort and ease.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by cmb13
Originally Posted by ebonykawai

Interesting - I agree with you 100% in principal, but what you are supporting and what you are doing seems incongruous. The 35 min does not sound like a quick warm up. It leads back to my thoughts of using repertoire for warm up as mentioned in this thread. . For instance, using some Bach for warm ups. I still use and plan on continuing scales but I just don’t have time for 35 min of it per day.

Hmmm, you're right, lol. I guess it's just a "quick" warmup for me, LOL. Sorry about that!

Lisa

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by DrewBone
"Practicing every major scale per day isnt quite working for me."

The procedure is simple, but requires patience; work on one scale at a time until perfected, then move onto the next. Shampoo, lather, rinse, and repeat - until all are perfected.

Some will of course take longer than others to learn, but with practice comes familarity, and with that familiarity comes comfort and ease.

This is what I meant but couldn't express. Of course, it takes time. I've been doing scales for 25 years (with breaks in my learning, of course). It took me a few months to get all the natural minors, and then another few months again to get proficient in the harmonic minors. But now it's quick and painless. That's all I meant. Once you have them, it takes much less time.

Lisa

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
This post is encouraging me to get back to scales ... it is time. And also much needed music theory. All good.

Dream came true : playing the piano
Kawai CS11/Yamaha Arius 161
lessons: 150 hours + counting
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pianoperformance
This post is encouraging me to get back to scales ... it is time. And also much needed music theory. All good.

I seriously need to dig back into my theory!! I usually do a ton of theory in the summer because I'm a teacher and have the summer off. But this summer was insanely busy and stressful and I literally did NO theory. I'm going to regret that next month. 🙁

Lisa

T
Online Content
T
I hope it’s alright for me to use this thread to ask a question.

I am fairly proficient in all of my major scales (and A minor smile ) for one octave.

What would be the next logical step?

Would it be

Carry on practicing the major scales, increasing my speed and proficiency?
Extend the major scales to more than one octave?
Start adding minor scales?
Learn the major scales in different motions?
Add some arpeggios to my routine?
Something else?

Or maybe it doesn’t matter. Is there a particular order that makes learning more productive and smoother?

Don’t practice until you get it right. Practice until you can’t get it wrong.
I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by treefrog

Yes, it's the next step. Then add minor scales.

T
Online Content
T
Originally Posted by Iaroslav Vasiliev
Originally Posted by treefrog

Yes, it's the next step. Then add minor scales.

That'll do me.

Thank you.

Don’t practice until you get it right. Practice until you can’t get it wrong.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Agreed. Go to 2 octave for majors, then start on minor scales. When you can do all of them in 2 octave, go to 3 and eventually 4 octaves. Then maybe try harmonic minors. Arpeggios at some point, lol. Dominant 7ths.....the list is never ending. 😂😂😂

Lisa

J
J
I've only been playing a few months, so feel free to take my input with that grain of salt.

I chose to blend a little theory in with my scales work. What I mean is I work on the Majors and relative minors as pairs, and I'm learning them going around the Circle of Fifths.

I started with C Major & A minor, and I work on playing 4 octaves from the start.
I then added G Major and E minor, then went to F Major and D minor, etc.

I'm currently working on A Major and F# minor, and will soon be moving on to Eb Major and C minor.

Yamaha CP73 | Yamaha HS5 monitor x 2
Behringer DeepMind 12D
Started July 2019
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Welcome to PW, JHaskell!

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha 515-P... sounds bad or it's just me???
by Riccardo92 - 07/28/21 06:23 PM
Rachmaninoff anyone? I'm having so much fun!
by gooddog - 07/28/21 06:21 PM
Yamaha 515-P... sounds bad or it's just me???
by Riccardo92 - 07/28/21 06:10 PM
Plan Ahead! 2022 Themed Recitals
by Sam S - 07/28/21 04:37 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,265
Posts3,117,134
Members102,261
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission